nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM
Customer Discussions > Sony PSP forum

What toys to take when deploying overseas....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2008, 4:38:18 PM PDT
Ok...so i am going back out to the desert, and here is my list of toys i am bringing.....an HP9700 series computer, 160 GB IPOD classic, 8 GB IPOD nano, a Nintendo DS and last but not least...a PSP 1001....my biggest fear is not being able to charge one or most of these in the desert....can anyone please tell me the best battery chargers there are for each device.....? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2008, 4:26:14 AM PDT
Michael Diaz says:
just keep the chargers that come with each system, im in Iraq right now and i have a laptop, ipod, psp, and a ds and they all charge just fine with a convertor. Be careful what you plug into the wall i know two people that fries there tvs and PS3s so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008, 7:40:43 PM PDT
N. Vanecko says:
Diaz is right use a convertor you can get a black and decker one that hooks straight up to Humvee batts and doesn't blow the fuse in the converter and they work great! i tried this at NTC with no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2008, 4:45:09 AM PDT
I'm in the desert right. The biggest thing to check is what the input voltage limits are. if it says 100-250v then you can plug it directly in to the trailer outlet without worries (although I would suggest using a surge protector). If the power box on your item says 100-140v then if you plug it in to the wall it will blow up and you will have a nice paperweight.
LAPTOP: Most, I say again, MOST laptops take 100-250v (it will be located on the power box (between the plug and the computer).
iPODS: The iPods don't really specify voltage and the charger I have says 110-240v. I plugged my iPod in to the wall and after a fews days of doing this my iPod is now dead I would suggest only charging your iPod through your computer unless you have a power converter.
Nintendo DS: I have no DS to check out. Just look at the plug that you plug in to the wall and see if it says 100-240v on it.
PSP 1001: You can plug it directly into the wall with no worries. (as well as the PSP Slim)

Most of the chargers that come with the products you mentioned will work just fine. The biggest thing to remember is that the voltage that the buildings are set to run around 220v. If your product input voltage number doesn't say that it can go to (atleast) 220v then your "Toy" will pop. Almost all electronics now-a-days will say right on the power source it's limits. When in doubt, use a power converter.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2008, 4:33:11 PM PDT
Jeon Mi Rim says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2008, 1:15:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 11, 2008, 2:38:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2008, 6:41:25 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008, 7:40:23 PM PDT
J. Horner says:
Power's always a big concern but don't forget toys that can survive the dust and sand, two trips to Afghanistan have killed one laptop, a gamecube and an XBOX 360 for me.

To M. Cruz and Mr McAlister: Everyone else posting here is in the service and has been there or are going to go. So while you sit at home and enjoy your freedom you never had to work for think about this, either go see firsthand what your talking about or shut up.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008, 7:42:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 29, 2008, 7:42:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2008, 5:24:43 AM PDT
Kezusto says:
First of all.. thanks for what you're doing out there. I'm not in the desert but I happen to work at an Air Base in Europe where many of you troops stop for gas and food.

To your question. There's an accesory for the PSP that allows you to charge and connect via USB. I have the first version and it comes with a usb dongle and the power plug. It works great because I use it with my laptop when I go TDY. That saves you having to bring yet another power box. The Ipod can also be charged via usb. I travel a lot as well and I usually just take my laptop and the mentioned cables to charge my iPod and the PSP. That saves you space and weight. Most laptops work at all voltages worldwide throught their power box. Like another poster suggested, get a surge supressor. They're available in travel sizes as well.
Hope this helps.

God Bless

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2008, 10:04:40 AM PDT
C. Enoka says:
My husband is deployed right now. He took a Nano and HP laptop with him. I would like to send him a PSP this week. As I am pretty uninformed and out of the game loop, any suggestions on games to send for start up?
Thanks to all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008, 3:11:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2008, 3:13:34 PM PDT
Robespierre says:
What kind of games does he like -- horror? If so, get Silent Hill Origins. If he likes combat and Greek mythology, send him the God of War bundle and kill two birds (as it were). If he likes RPGs, send him Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne d'Arc, Disgaea and Crisis Core. If he likes FPS, send him Siphon Filter: Dark Mirror. For driving, Burnout Legends is legendary and WipEout Pulse is a blast. For rhythm games, Patapon is fairly good. For sandbox, you won't do better than Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City.

Edit: I forgot to mention Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. Three games for the price of one.

One last thing: If you get him a PSP, be sure to get a memory stick as well. Otherwise, he won't be able to save his games, play demos or transfer his movies and music. I can't watch films on an iPod, but the PSP is made for that. I recommend 4GB, which you can find for >$40.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2008, 9:55:03 AM PDT
J. Collard says:
Always, ALWAYS invest in a good step down converter. All the wall sockets out here are 220, but we have power surges on a regular basis. So if your AC adapter can handle to 240, there's a good chance that you'll overload it at some point. Invest in a smaller converter, I have a 300 watt one I got at the PX here for about $55. Also, I hope you're not too attached to your laptop, the dust eats them alive out here, no matter how meticulously you clean them. As to your original query, just bring out your original chargers. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2008, 10:53:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2008, 10:56:53 AM PDT
just remember this, EVERY outlet there is 220v. if you think it might be 110v... its 220. ive seen so many people destroy electronics, its rediculous. one suggestion, on the psp, they make these grips that snap on to the psp to make it feel more like a dualshock controller. the nice thing about those is, they have a battery in em that will extend the life of you psp by about double. i picked up one of there from one of the hajj shops we had on our fob, but you can find em all over amazon. probably much better quality too, since mine only worked for about 6 months. also, since youre already bringing the ipod, if youre gonna be spending any time in a hummvee, let me suggest getting a little set of those battery powered speakers. those things are indespensible. that and they run on double A's which arent exactly hard to come by over there. good luck. oh, and unless youre going to somewhere with a big PX, dont count too much on being able to get games for the psp and ds. most of the ones they carry are garbage. but getting stuff sent to you from amazon isnt too hard. did it several times.

as for the person asking about games, heres what i spent most of my time on:
Socom fireteam bravo
burnout legends
mlb 06
atv:off-road fury- blazin trails
plus whatever games my buddies happen to have.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Sony PSP forum (40 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Sony PSP forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers