Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Speakers forum

Bic Venturi DV 64 or DV 84?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2012, 11:10:25 AM PDT
Nu Mantra says:
Let me start by saying what is not important to me: 1. surround sound 2. LOUD music 3. a center channel 4. using these speakers with my TV.

What is important to me: 1. great sounding music 2. cost effectiveness 3. down sizing (I do not want more items of anything than I actually need - therefore, I do not want at sub)

I have had a pair of Venturi DV52 speakers since 1991. I recently bought a new Onkyo receiver -414 (only 80W per channel) - and have decided to get some floor speakers. I would love to go with more streamlined speakers, but I do not want to have to buy 5-7 speakers to get what I can in just two. I love my old Venturi, and the newer models have gotten rave reviews, and of course, they are very inexpensive.

So, here is my dilemma - Price vs - frequency -

The DV 64 covers 29 Hz - 21 kHz and I can get 2 shipped for $250 ish.
The DV 84 go a little lower, but not as high covering 27 Hz - 22kHz, but will cost about $330.

For those of you who are in the know, with that 2 Hz really make a difference on the low end or will I be fine with the DV 64s. At this point the only two things stopping me from getting the 84s are price and the fact that they are slightly larger.

Thanks for your feedback.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012, 7:47:47 AM PDT
mac says:
I haven't heard either, but I wouldn't let the different specs concern you. Choose based on the factors that are important to you as opposed to the specs. You will probably be fine with the 64s and the cost-effectiveness of spending the additional $80 is questionable unless side by side listening tests (at the levels you listen to) really reveal that the 84s are truly superior. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012, 12:49:15 PM PDT
I'd be skeptical if those are really the only differences, but no, 2Hz is barely even audible. I would hazard a guess that the DV84's can play louder due to having 1.5X the surface area on their bass drivers, therefore moving more air.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012, 2:30:05 PM PDT
D. Lowery says:
For BIC, I like the DV62si bookshelfs with a sub better than either of those floorstanders.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012, 11:26:23 AM PDT
KBIC says:
I agree with JAC and Mac. If price is a deciding factor then don't let such a small discrepancy in specs between the two effect your decision, especially if your amp section is only at 80W/channel.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012, 8:29:37 PM PDT
Loreenak says:
D Lowery is correct. the 62si with sub is the ticket. A remarkable sounding bookshelf for spare change. I wish my old man was still around. He used to love to put together cheap stereo systems that sounded anything but. He would like these BIC's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:18:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:31:11 PM PST
i_law38 says:
Well the DV-62 and the DV-64 are all similar speakers in different cabinets producing very similar sounds with the DV-64 playing a little lower in the frequency due to passive radiators. The DV- 84 with it's larger woofers will give more sound as stated simply by it being a 8" vs. 6". I agree the DV-62 as well as the DV-62 CLR-S in particular make for a great system that is simply sweetened with a complementing Sub. However, considering the Cost and No sub factor the OP stated the DV-84 would be my choice under his circumstances...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Speakers forum (434 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Are cheaper PA speakers really that bad? 7 May 8, 2017
How OVERATED is the Bose Wave Sound System? Opinions please. 204 May 6, 2017
magnepan 7.1 vs anthony gallo strada 37 May 1, 2017
Looking for advice for extension from 5.1 to 7.1 please. Thanks! 9 Apr 12, 2017
Dumb Question 6 ceiling speakers living room and 4 in the basement. How do I use hook up 3 Mar 20, 2017
In-ceiling speakers (12), have speaker control, need amplifier suggestion help 1 Jan 18, 2017
7 zones/wired speaker sets.. what to get - this gal is all confused! 0 Aug 3, 2016
Need amplifier recommendation please 0 Apr 30, 2016
Have (12) multi room in-ceiling speakers - Need to power them - Help!! 46 Apr 30, 2016
Technics SB-CR77 speakers 7 Apr 14, 2016
How important is speaker wire size? 18 Dec 30, 2015
Cables, speaker & interconnects. How important 4 Nov 30, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Speakers forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jul 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers