Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Speakers forum

Vizio sound bar not working with ps3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 3:32:45 PM PST
Andrew says:
VIZIO VSB200 Universal HD Sound Bar

Hello, I just recieved my sound bar and hooked everything up. I have a hdtv that I connect to my ps3 with a hdmi cable. The sound bar I connect directly to my ps3 with a digital output cable. Now when I boot up my ps3 I can hear the key tones in the menus and stuff, but when I start up a video game I hear a crackle popping sound and then there isn't any sound at all in the game.

I've gone to the ps3 sound output settings and selected digital output and I just left whatever that was checked, like the dolby digital 5.1, and linear pcm 2 ch. 44.1khz and 48khz checked. I didn't check anything else besides those that are already selected. So any advice on getting this to work with my ps3 is greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 9:33:17 AM PST
Dallas Wild says:
i am having the EXACT same problem! have you figured it out yet?? any help?

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 4:41:02 PM PST
Chris says:
Since HDMI carries both an audio & video signal I believe the issue is the HDMI output is over-riding the digital optical out. To check after booting and seeing the PS3 menu unplug the HDMI to see of you get sound you may need to adjust settings to show likewise you intend to send sound via the digital optical output. I would look at the back TV panel to see if there is a digital output via optical or coaxial to send the signal to your sound bar. Of course your dilemma ultimately is what digital input(s) does your sound bar have. Hope this provides a little insight and or help. I'll admit I'm mostly speculating and have not encountered this exact issue but have noticed typically you cannot send simultaneous digital audio over HDMI and another source. HDMI seems to monopolize the audio output as a default. My best advice is to simply try different configurations to determine your settings allow your sources to output the audio/video signal your attempting to utilize and determine your best option(s) to achieve the objective you desire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 9:10:42 PM PST
It does not do dolby digital and that's why it crackled when you got into the game. I have this sound bar and everything works fine if in the ps3 audio output settings you only have linear pcm 2 ch 44.1 and 48khz checked. Anything else and you will experience the crackling you mentioned.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 9:44:04 PM PST
Gin says:
Hate to say it, but vizio is awful for sony products. Not sure why, but they just don't seem to agree. I had a Sony PS3 hooked up to two vizio lcds, and one day, one stopped working with it... And then probably a week or two later, the other stopped working with the ps3 as well.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 12:58:17 PM PDT
YborCoder says:
In my case, I could not get any outputs from the tv to send sound to the sound bar. Then I noticed outputs on the cable box, and tried that. Perfectamundo it all works perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:14:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:23:49 AM PST
Chris Laht says:
Nathan, this solved my issue playing games downloaded from the Sony store. I had the 5.1 check box marked, as soon as I unchecked it, I got sound back to everything. Thanks!

I am using an optical audio cable from my PS3 and an HDMI cable to the tv, if I enabled audio multi output I would have a slight lag between the sound from the TV and the sound bar which was annoying. Unchecking the 5.1 box and disabling the multi output has made everything run smoothly now.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 1:14:24 PM PDT
Lil baby says:
We just had this problem and rerouted the sound through the bd player. We have all Sony products. It works now. Sound is ok. Not exactly as full as I thought it would be.

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 10:45:26 AM PDT
M. Gariti says:
If the TV is hooked up to the sound bar via HDMI, and the PS3 is hooked to the TV also by HDMI, then there is no reason for the digital optical cable to also go from the PS3 to the sound bar. Keep the sound bar set for the TV input, and the TV set for the PS3 input. Problem solved... (Perhaps your PS3 will have to be reset to DEFAULT SETTINGS, if you've messed with those).

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 12:22:35 PM PDT
The powered sub-woofer pops and makes cracking sounds. I have unplugged from the electrical outlet and it comes back. It is not constant, comes and goes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Speakers forum (432 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Speakers forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers