Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Your review to the textbook trade-in service

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 92 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 4:12:44 PM PDT
Hey use UPS they will wait for a crate to fill up and if you know their timing you could have it there within a few days.

Posted on May 29, 2012, 2:03:31 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 6:09:35 AM PDT
C. Pavlich says:
This is the second time I have had a book returned because it was the 'Wrong Item'. I can assure you, I have triple checked the books, the titles match, the covers match, and the ISBNs match (both of them).

Look, if you don't want my book, that's fine, but don't make me go to the effort of sending it to you, just tell me.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 7:20:26 AM PDT
B. C. says:
I sent in a book that was like new and the only category available for it was "good" and the refund price was shown as $33.00. They only credited me $12.00 but they didn't downgrade the quality or anything, so I don't know why I didn't get the price they said. It could be that they took three weeks to "process" the boxes, according to the tracking.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 9:18:20 AM PDT
P. Olson says:
Tiffany, can you tell me where I would find out how to trade them in? Can you send me a link? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 1:50:47 PM PDT
Do you mean how to find out if there's a trade-in option for a particular product? Here's an example of one that has it: Readings in the Western Humanities Volume 1 You can look on the right side of the page and see where it says it can be traded in and what the trade-in offer is. Also, you can use the Trade-In Store http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse/ref=trdrt_howto_store?ie=UTF8&node=2242532011 and search multiple ISBNs and such at once, to see if they have trade-in offers. Depending what your circumstances are and what's easier for you.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 4:02:45 PM PDT
Adburk says:
Love Amazon trade-ins! If you've ever bought books from amazon (which by the way are amazingly priced and the used books labled "good" are actually more like "like new"!) they will send you an email letting you know that they are now willing to buy back your books. I had a microbiology book from amazon for 2 years and one day got an email asking if I wanted to trade it in. So far, I have traded in two books and both times have actually gotten paid more for them than I actually paid for them in the first place! Plus, they pay for the shipping! You really can't beat amazon, not on prices, shipping, customer service, selection....anything! I LOVE AMAZON!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012, 12:18:02 PM PDT
My husband is a professor and he recieved a lot of books from the publishers to examine. The ones he didn't use we tried to sell on amazon. It is amazing how these publishers work! Book that are six months old are already outdated because they have published a "new edition". They change the cover and maybe a chapter or two and then charge $100 for it. What a scam! I boxed up the ones that matched the ISBN numbers and editions that amazon was asking for and mailed them in. Amazon rejected the majority of these saying the edition was unacceptable! The edition number must have changed in the one week it took to mail the package in. C'mon guys! When I went to school, we reused books year after year. Really- how often does basic calculus change?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012, 4:00:54 PM PDT
Cat Lover says:
Some publishers use different ISBN numbers on the books sent to professors to prevent them being resold. Check the ISBN numbers carefully.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012, 1:39:24 AM PDT
You'll want to check EVERYTHING on those books. Most of the time I see review copies sent out by publishers, they seem to tweak something. Different ISBN, slightly different title, mark it as not for resale, etc. But, you DID get them for free, so you can't really complain if they can't all be sold, or even if most of them can't.

You still technically usually can reuse textbooks year after year. The frequent new editions with small changes thing isn't that new of an idea, and ever since the start, those small changes have usually meant you can buy one or two editions behind the current one and be fine. But still, the way textbook companies protect their market share & profits is to do frequent new editions and updates. If they didn't, people would just swap around the old used copies until they fell apart, giving the publisher far less. So, it may suck, but I can at least see why they do it. It's still ridiculous though. That's why i buy slightly used.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012, 6:38:19 AM PDT
Tracey Jones says:
I have now had 3 books returned saying incorrect ISBN. I have matched them all correctly and the matching ISBN is inside the book cover but not on the barcode.
As far as I am concerned if it is printed inside the book then it is correct.
This has now meant that I do not qualify for my £5.00 extra gift card as each time they have made my balance just 10p less than the £10.00 trade in required.
I have shopped with Amazon for years but feel I have been ripped off now, especially as I sent some books that were brand new as I now use a kindle but still only got 25p for them!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012, 2:04:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012, 2:10:13 PM PDT
"As far as I am concerned if it is printed inside the book then it is correct."

Your feelings on it don't really matter, as that's not how it works. Books will often put other ISBNs inside the book (those for other editions and such), and the ISBN that MUST match is the ISBN for the exact book you are trading in. Whether the book is a US, Canadian, Australian, or UK edition (and probably many other countries too, but these are the ones I'm familiar with), this ISBN will correspond to the one found by or above the barcode on the back of the book. Period. If the book you're trading in doesn't have the ISBN there match the listing you're trading it in under, don't bother, because you're not sending the book they're wanting. I know it can get confusing as to when and if the ISBN inside the book matches the actual book you have in your hand, and that's why the best thing to do is always to ignore all other ISBNs except the one in the vicinity of the barcode, at least whenever possible. Obviously, if that number is covered up or something, you need to look elsewhere, but otherwise...stick to that number. You'll avoid a lot of potential issues.

Does Amazon UK offer a bonus gift card? That's kind of cool.

As for you getting only 25p for brand new books, if Amazon UK has a set-up anything like the one here in the US, you would have known the trade-in value ahead of time, before mailing in your books and accepting the 25p in exchange. I always wonder why people feel the need to complain about such things. Did all of you think they'd get your books, gush over how wonderful they are, and give you a ton of extra money out of the blue? Otherwise, it makes no sense. If I'm not happy with the trade-in offer price, I sell my stuff myself and make more. There are options. But, complaining about receiving the promised price for items you voluntarily traded in for that promised price seems more than a bit absurd.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012, 7:49:17 PM PDT
David M Chan says:
Sorry, but I normally really dig amazon but, your book better be in pristine condition or they will send it right back. I purchased a used book from amazon and it had just a tiny nick on the binding. Figured no big deal since I will only be using it for a term. Heck I ended up never touching the book. When I sent it back for buyback they declined it on damaged binding. Heck the shipping job back was even worse. When i received the book back the adhesive from the cardboard packaging managed to get stuck on the back of the book which nearly pulled the cover right off when I attempted to remove the packaging from the book. I'll probably buy again from amazon but, I don't plan on dealing with them on buybacks.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012, 6:50:11 PM PDT
Muffins says:
This might be a stupid question, but is the money credited to your Amazon account only usable for other textbook purchases or can you spend it on any Amazon items? And is highlighting a problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012, 1:35:52 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 11, 2012, 1:59:50 PM PDT
Larry A says:
This worked out great for me. I made sure to use plastic wrapping (buy at moving store or office supply) to protect all my books (8) and used cardboard around the books (wrapped again with plastic) to ensure they would all be protected during shipping inside the box. Will definitely be using the trade-in service again.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012, 10:15:42 PM PDT
Jenny says:
Used it once, never gonna use it again. The experince was awful, they paint it all perfectly, but remember you have no control after you send it. My package said delivered, but the status on the order on amazon said it wasn't received. After 8 days of waiting I received an e-mail from amazon saying my order had expired. I emmediately contacted amazon, first from the chat, since it was easier, and later called. After fighting with them for a long time they gave me the credit, but they first wanted me to wait two weeks to see if the book arrived to my house. I would never ever recommend this service to anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012, 3:15:19 PM PDT
I believe a book in "good" condition will have "minimal highlighting and labeling," but I'd double check on your trade in account where you verify the ISBN and condition of the book to be sure.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012, 3:20:21 PM PDT
I just traded in 9 books and received the exact gift card amount estimated. Pretty handy if you have textbooks sitting in your bookshelf that you will probably never use again. I'll most likely use this service again, provided it continues to be a good one.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012, 2:49:50 PM PDT
melissa G says:
Hi, i just shipped out a book to trade-in. I hope it goes well, i had a problem with the prepaid shipping label . It printed fine but the post office said there wasn't anything on it showing it was prepaid. So i paid shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012, 1:47:49 PM PDT
Justin Sykes says:
I find this objection to worn or partially damaged books strange. If I'm looking for a particular book and I can find it at a discounted price, as long as the pages are legible, I wouldn't mind. I bought a book once from a used book store. It was a few weeks before I read it. Safely, many of the art illustrations had been cut out with a Sharp blade ! Too much time had passed and used bookstore usually don't itemize your receipt. So, I was stuck with the best parts of this book, cut out.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012, 9:49:33 AM PDT
It's very good

Posted on Oct 31, 2012, 3:42:17 PM PDT
I think it's good. I sent in my books and in about a week got an Amazon store gift card credit for about $54 and I paid less than that for the books I sent in. I purchased a textbook and an IPhone case with my credit, so all in all I was pleased. Sending the books in was a breeze. They provide a shipping label. Highly satisfied.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012, 5:51:21 AM PST
J. P. Huang says:
I have horrible experience especially with the trade-in customer service. I got my book from amazon, and decided to sell it back as I barely used the book. So far the book has been rejected twice already. It has the same cover, the same ISBN, and I even got it from amazon. The reason was "wrong edition". According to the customer service, the trade-in is run by a third party company which they can't do nothing about, and they can't do more for me even I can scan the cover and the pages with ISBN for them. The customer service told me they don't have more access of anything more than us as their only tool is the help pages in amazon. Totally disappointed by how they talk to me as I was just trying to find a reason why the book I got from amazon is rejected by amazon trade-in team. And some customer service person lost patient half way and started getting emotional with me. I was shocked about how they train the customer service rep as I was simply just asking for a reasonable solution. Overall, very bad experience.

By the way, their solution was to ask me to sell the book elsewhere because there is nothing they can do. They can't talk to their trade-in team, they don't have access to stuff we customer can't reach.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013, 2:32:42 PM PST
A. samra says:
the don`t send you a gift card by mail.they will add it on your amazon trade in account.So check your account you should find them there.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (635 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  Apr 15, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers