Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Is this a scam? Where are my books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 247 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 3, 2010, 12:15:33 AM PDT
Liz says:
There seems to be a lot of debate about this service, doesn't there? My gut feeling is that if you are careful, make sure everything is included that should be, and the ISBN#'s match your packing slip, you should be fine. I have ordered several books recently and MORE thann 50% of them were rated incorrectly - all of them made to sound better than they actually were. I bought a book that was supposedly "brand new", yet it had an opened CD and writing (in PEN no less) throughout the book. I lot of people out there really make me wonder. Anyway, in the interests of everyone, I am going to conduct an experiment. I have a few questionable books, including ones that are supposed to have supplemental materials but don't and others that DO have all of the supplements, etc. I will take accurate notes and pictures before sending them, and will let you all know what happens. I'll send them out right after Labor Day.
In the meantime, I would suggest this to those of you getting ready to trade:
Make sure the ISBN matches
Make sure all supplemental materials are included
Make sure there is not excessive highlighting or writing
TAKE NOTES or keep records, about what you are sending. (Include time, date, tracking number, etc.)
TAKE PICTURES BEFORE YOU PACK THEM.
I wish you all the best of luck! I'lll let you know what I find out.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011, 2:31:15 PM PST
E. Sims says:
I sent in a textbook in absolute perfect condition. It was rejected for "Damaged Binding" and returned to me with a huge rip in the bind. It is really suspicious... the rest of the book is worn and there is no highlighting on the one chapter I know i highlighted because it was difficult material for me. They stole my book and sent me back a damaged one. I can't believe a company can get away with this, I feel so cheated.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012, 2:25:24 PM PST
Captain J says:
I think the major problem is with multiple books in the same box. Amazon would receive all of them but only issue gift card for some books, and probably lost track of the rest of them. I wanted to save Amazon UPS fees by combining the shipping but now I get burned. I will now send in each book separately so that they can individually be tracked.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012, 2:56:42 PM PST
Bemused Prof says:
When I have used this service, I have enclosed the maximum of $400 worth of books per box each time, and never had much of a problem. One time I got a book returned to me although it was on their list of "buys," but that was one out of about 20 or 25 over the years. I've had more trouble with UPS sometimes taking two weeks to deliver, than with Amazon's partner paying me for the books. I sent the ones that Amazon doesn't want to Faculty Books, which also pays with an Amazon gift card, and gives me no trouble.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012, 7:26:19 AM PST
Spider Pig says:
I have had a similar issue. I sent 3 books all in exactly the SAME CONDITION. They only credited me for one of the books. This is a scam. I am happy to have received credit for one of the books, however, this is clearly a demand driven enterprise (they only take books they know they can sell), otherwise how do explain 1/3 success when they 3 where all in the same condition??

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012, 10:47:52 AM PST
GreenCheese says:
I'm always sorry to hear when people have poor experiences with this, but I don't think that means you can call it a scam. I have sent in all my textbooks each semester for the last three years and I haven't had a single problem.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012, 11:36:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012, 12:26:18 PM PST
Cat Lover says:
I have sent in 5 new books in one very carefully protected package and two were returned with one having its binding ripped open and another with a cigarette burn on the inside cover. The other three were accepted. This is so wrong when the merchant of the other side did such a thing to the books all because they didn't want the books anymore!! Amazon should allow a form of automatic input to monitor the practice of these merchants. I should also add that most of the time, the merchant were above board and honorable. It is the bad apples that happened to work there that the Merchant should monitor or that Amazon should provide some accountability for its own reputation!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012, 12:08:18 PM PST
Bemused Prof says:
I have heard of others with this problem (which I have never had), but it is hard to believe that a merchant would purposely do this to get out of buying a book. In my case, they just announced that they weren't accepting it and sent it back, or said it was the wrong ISBN (which it wasn't). Only a minor inconvenience if you get it back (altho certainly not quickly). It sounds like they just throw rejects into a bin, and then send them back during a slow time, without checking that the same exact books went to the people who sent them in.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012, 8:17:08 PM PST
I have used this service several times without any problems. I make certain the ISBN is correct, double check the condition of the books, wrap each book in clean recycled brown paper, and pack recycled bubble wrap on top, bottom and all sides of the books. I always get full credit and love the service.

Posted on May 4, 2012, 4:54:34 AM PDT
T. Gates says:
I sent 2 books in the same box and they say they only received one. That was a $50 mistake that I won't make again. They offer no explanation and actually hint that maybe I was at fault. I was a happy Amazon customer until now and will have to re-think my go-to for internet shopping.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012, 12:23:30 PM PDT
Sam H. says:
Same

Posted on May 4, 2012, 6:16:02 PM PDT
I've used this service many, many, times with no problems. I only had one book refused, because there were two ISBNs on the book, and I chose the wrong one (paperback vs. hardback). So it was my own fault. I have sent books both one at a time or large boxes of books. However none of my books were textbooks and none were valuable. Many books I've turned in are only in the $2-$5 range. So I guess there's not any real temptation for scamming at that level. Most of these books I could probably sell for $10-$15 pretty easily but being a bookseller is just not my thing right now. I enjoy the service and glad to clear out any books that Amazon will take. I only wish they would take the rest.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012, 11:22:39 AM PDT
KirstRob says:
I just sent in a "like new" book as well. No highlighting, no bent pages, no bent corners on cover. I really never used it! They sent it back saying they can't take it because the cover is damaged...I swear I better get the exact book that I sent back to me and not another damaged one! The thing is...I bought the book NEW from them, barely used it, and now they are saying cover is damaged...

Posted on May 22, 2012, 12:02:21 PM PDT
A. Van Tine says:
List to sell them on Amazon, then you can mail them directly to the buyer and you receive cash money in your checking account. Amazon keeps a commission and it takes two weeks for the money to clear, but ... It seems like there are more cons to trade in than I thought. I have sold about 10 textbooks from my Master's program. No complaints.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012, 12:52:43 PM PDT
Kai says:
I know that amazon has a 30 day trial, where if you don't get your item.. you can say you didn't get it and they'll send you another one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012, 5:42:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2012, 5:52:26 PM PDT]

Posted on May 22, 2012, 8:54:09 PM PDT
Kagome says:
I was thinking of trading in my books but will think twice about it now. My advice would be to take lots of pictures of your textbook to use as evidence against what the company says. I would do that too if I ever consider trading mine in at this point.

Posted on May 23, 2012, 7:35:00 AM PDT
buffy says:
I have sent in several used text books over the past few years and have had no problem, yet. I get notification in email when they have been received and my amount goes on my account. Their guarentee of a price for trading in to them is definately defined in the "Restictions Apply" You do not necessarily get the guarenteed trade in price when trading them back, BUT you have to wait, as I have just found out. I purchased a used book. $35.50 and they said trade in value would be 19.55, well when the semester was over I went to trade it in and the price was 2.75, YEP ! BUT now the trade in value is 13.75, so I just have to be patient and possibly the price will increase more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 11:03:58 AM PDT
Destiny says:
yes, That also happen and I have been dealing with them for a while. I purchase a book for 40.00 and at the end of semester they wasnt giving anything back. I just looked again they are taking 21.00 for it yay. I learned why also if you think about it. When people sell back so many they decrease the price to sell back to them and increase the price to buy from them,after awhile when they sell so many they have no choice but to increase sell back price to get more, so you are right you have to be patient.....

Posted on May 23, 2012, 1:09:40 PM PDT
Basically: Do NOT attempt to sell back your books at the time when "everyone is doing it" (just after the semester). Instead, wait until the supply has dropped but demand has increased (typically, not long before the start of the new semester, when fewer are selling their books but a huge portion are buying or doing so shortly). It's basic supply and demand. If you try selling at a time when everyone else is also trying to do so, the amount you get is going to be far lower due to extremely high supply and low demand at the time. If you wait until most of your fellow students are done selling their books back, but most are in the process of buying, causing sellers to need more copies to sell very quickly, the amount you can get will be far higher.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012, 7:28:54 AM PDT
This makes it too easy for the third party to steal! All they have to do according to the rules is to say it was damaged and they get to keep the book, they do not have to return it thus say the rules. All they have to do is to say it meets all the requirements and when they get it, tell you it was damaged, another free book for the third party store.......I think the legal system calls it "Theft by Deception".

Posted on May 24, 2012, 10:21:09 PM PDT
JCL says:
I sent My books and I got compensation no problem, I want to say about a week from the day I shipped it to the compensation I received. From reading all this I guess I'm lucky that I did have a good experience with it.

Posted on May 25, 2012, 4:21:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2012, 4:21:26 PM PDT]

Posted on May 25, 2012, 7:02:14 PM PDT
GreenCheese says:
I've posted before, but I just want to update those of you tracking this discussion. I've now used this program for my 6th semester (3 yrs) and was credited without any trouble. I've only ever had 1 book returned and it was because the binding was broken...my fault for not reading through the acceptable criteria. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or doubt I'm a real customer. Thanks and good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012, 4:54:48 PM PDT
Sassy says:
Are you certain it is even the same book you sent?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (634 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  179
Total posts:  247
Initial post:  May 25, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers