Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Textbook forum

Buyer wants to return book because class doesn't require it...do I have to accept the return?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2012 7:27:07 AM PDT
I sold an an accounting textbook to a buyer a couple of weeks ago. He is now wanting to return the book because its not the right book for the class and he doesn't need it. Do I have to accept the return?

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 12:30:20 PM PDT
If it's within 30 days, generally yes, if it's still in the same condition it was sent to them in. It's part of the rules people agree to by selling here. You can find more info in the Help pages. There are pretty strict rules. Personally, I'd consider charging a restocking fee equal to the cost I paid to mail the book in such a case, and of course he'd be responsible for return shipping. Most buyers would recognize there's no point to complaining about a seller making themselves equal. It's when things get too ridiculous that it can be a problem, like when I bought "very good" condition textbooks that were full of highlighting, then was charged a 20% restocking fee upon returning them. That's NOT allowed, since they were listed incorrectly. But, if you're fair, Amazon's rules will back you up should there be any complaints. You don't want to get a bad feedback though, so be careful how much if any of a restocking fee you charge. Most people would consider much more than the shipping cost to be excessive, no matter how annoying needing to deal with the book again is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:45:14 PM PST
What exactly is Amazon's approach to this? I read their return policy and doesn't really say. I have had several returns lately where the wrong book was ordered. If you don't refund their money will Amazon do something to you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 1:22:12 AM PST
If you don't refund their money, they'll likely file an A-to-Z Claim (or otherwise go to Amazon about it), and then, pardon the language, you're screwed, because Amazon's policy is that a seller cannot just refuse to accept returns. Not to mention, the certain negative feedback from the buyer, which is minor in comparison but would likely hurt your sales somewhat for quite a while. If the return is not a seller's fault (due to them listing the item incorrectly, it being damaged or not arriving, etc.), but is instead due to buyer's mistake or change of mind or whatever, the seller is not necessarily obligated to refund the shipping fee portion of the buyer's cost, but they can't refuse to issue refunds completely.

It's not all under their return policy, because that's primarily info for returning items to Amazon, though as sellers here, we are bound to the same timeframes, policies of when a return is allowed, and such. For info on this subject actually written to inform sellers of their specific obligations, you need to read the help pages for selling on Amazon. I'll warn you, there's no single catch-all page (that I know of) that covers every aspect of this. You'll need to take some time, poke around a bit, and familiarize yourself with what the expectations are if you sell here. That's what I did. There's too much there to memorize it all, but if you get the basics down, and kind of learn how to find the rest as you need it, it helps a lot. For a good starting point, which you can venture from as you like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1161280

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:25:44 PM PST
Bailey says:
I have a request to return a book by the buyer. It is in perfect condition, never used or written in, which is how I described it and wants to return it saying "it is used and could have bought it for half the cost." I think it's buyers remorse and do not feel I owe this person a refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 6:28:36 PM PST
Bailey, see my post above. It really doesn't matter whether you feel you owe them a refund or not. There are certain things we all agree to by selling here. Providing refunds is just one of them. As it says in the help pages though, if you listed the book completely correctly, and they've just changed their mind or whatever, you do have the option of refunding only the item cost and not the shipping, in addition to having them return it at their expense. You may want to go navigate around in the seller help pages a bit and learn more about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:10:32 PM PST
I have recently also had a lot people wanting to return books because they ordered it wrong or don't want the book anymore. Start a policy where you return their money minus a "restocking fee." Make sure you post this on your seller page.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:10:00 PM PST
The buyer recently told me that they had not received their book yet, but the tracking information said it had been delivered. I sent her an email asking her to verify her address, and she had the wrong address listed on her Amazon account. Now she wants a refund.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 10:43:11 AM PST
Li Hong Li says:
can I just buy cd?

Posted on May 14, 2014 3:45:33 PM PDT
What if it is a computer part and all of a sudden after he has it a day before my money comes in he decides oh now I don't need it anymore or don't want it so he can just get a refund, I think he is trying to scam and just get things free, is there any way if could win in this situation I'm not gunna let him return the item at the last minute and say oh now he don't need it, no we all know he needed it and for sure used it I think he is just trying to rip off the seller I don't think that is right and I'm not gunna sit by and let someone do that any help on this

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2014 5:00:49 PM PDT
That happens all the time. Amazon almost always sides with the buyer. My advice; figure out a way to get used to it, and don't expect any help from Amazon.

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 12:02:52 PM PDT
Someone bought an item from me, they had issues getting it to work because they didn't know how to work the item, They emailed me saying they want to send the item back and they had already contacted amazon so I sent her instructions on how to fix her issues, she got the item to work and now wants to keep it and amazon already refunded her the money back so now i am out my item and my money... what do I do? I have spoken numerous times to amazon and they side with the buyer and say now they can reverse the money. Not very happy right now since I'm out a $60+ item and the money. any one have ideas or suggestions?

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 11:48:56 AM PDT
Augusto J. says:
I have sold an Item in perfect conditions. It worked like a charm. And one week after the buyer got it, he said it was broken. It is UPS fault, not mine. If I accept the item back, I can't use it anymore.What should I do?

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 3:22:59 AM PDT
MUFASA says:
Any suggestions?
I sold an iPhone 6 64GB silver with a slightly cracked lower left bottom portion of the glass, I clearly stated it on the description of the sale portion and pictures were also provided as the iPhone was used, I also stated on the description that it was a final sale and no refunds were to be provided. Now the buyer is requesting a refund from Amazon, do I have to provide a refund even though I clearly stated it was a final sale and no refunds on the item? I mean its my understanding it's the buyer's responsibility to fully read and accept the terms of the sale which are clearly stated on the description portion that appears before he/she decides to proceed with the sale? What should I do?

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 9:33:55 AM PST
This is why I am closing down my Amazon sellers account. High fees and ridiculous return policies. A customer is trying to return a textbook they bought 24 days ago. The book has already lost value and is less sell able. I will stick with eBay where I can set my own return policy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2016 5:18:10 AM PST
Stasia says:
I have the same situation now. Semester just started, now no one will want it.

Posted on Feb 25, 2016 9:18:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 25, 2016 9:21:04 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 25, 2016 9:21:14 PM PST
Flossie says:
This is so ridiculous. I have literally had a buyer calling me at home about wanting to return an item 68 days after ordering it! She states that this brand new textbook she bought with full recognition of its title, year, etc. is now "something I don't want and this is Amazon so I should be able to return anything I want to". LITERALLY, this is the child's email to me demanding a return of a $126 textbook. I am appalled. She has had it for so long and all of a sudden, even though there is nothing wrong with it, she feel entitled to get her money back because she simply doesn't want it. This is appalling and I am confused about what to do. Should I tell her how life really is and that the customer is not ALWAYS right or just eat this cost, probably receive a textbook back that looks like it has been through hell, and then try to resell it for one cent?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2016 9:24:06 PM PST
Flossie says:
I feel your pain on that note! Amazon's tendency to side with the buyer, no matter how wrong or ridiculous is getting a little old!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2016 9:28:56 PM PST
Flossie says:
I would not under any circumstance accept the return. If we don't all follow a reasonable return policy that does not allow every buyer to decide once they receive and use their items to then return the item then we will all fall as sellers. I understand that if a product is truly defective or not as described that a return is reasonable and even in order. However, it seems that people are buying products, either using or reading them, then trying to return them with a bogus claim that they are somehow defective. Personally, I have now resorted to literally taking a picture of the item before I put it into the package, then one with it next to the package, then one with it packaged up. I know this sounds ridiculous but I have often needed to prove to a buyer that I sent them their purchased item in pristine condition and that it is in no way defective or damaged on my part. I wish you the best of luck. A lot of us make our livings doing this Amazon thing and it irritates me that Amazon almost always sides with the buyer no matter how ridiculous and deceitful their claim. Stick to your guns and WISHING YOU WELL!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2016 9:31:45 PM PST
Flossie says:
You should not accept the return under any circumstance whatsoever. I don't know when it became normal for sellers to be held responsible for their buyers financial health. Obviously this buyer either used the item and is now done with it and is claiming it doesn't work or UPS damaged it. I don't think that UPS damaged it though. I am betting that this buyer just wants to "borrow" your item for a period and then claim falsely that it was damaged. Stick to your guns. If your return policy was clearly stated then it is the buyer's responsibility to either become literate and read it or to have their mommy or daddy read it to them to ensure they understand that nothing is free in life and that it is simply wrong to try to swindle someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2016 9:34:57 PM PST
Flossie says:
I call BS! I know that if I EVER order anything I make sure that I am ordering it to my residence or to an address at which I will be able to receive the item. I wouldn't be taking this crap from anyone, mainly because I feel that many people need to become socially responsible and literate. Even more importantly, I feel that this sense of entitlement that pervades these buyers has been allowed to go on and on and on for way too long. I wouldn't budge. It is her idiocy that caused this problem and she probably needs to learn her address if she is an active member of society. I really hope she isn't allowed to operate a motor vehicle if she cannot even recite her address!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2016 9:38:04 PM PST
Flossie says:
Don't refund him under any circumstances. This refund crap has got to stop. We all know these people are using the products we sell for a limited time then flat out lying in their claims of "defective" or "damaged". I suggest you let him know that when he bought the product that he bought it for good and that you are not the fool he obviously takes you for. I would literally let him know that you are well aware that people try desperately to get things for free but that you are having none of it and that the sooner he grows up and learns the value of money, the better off America will be...not to mention that it is just plain disgusting to lie and swindle. Stick to your guns and don't give this guy any leeway.

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 7:56:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2016 7:58:06 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 18, 2016 2:00:44 PM PDT
Moni88 says:
So I sold someone a graphing calculator and she received it and e mailed me back a week later saying she wants a refund because she doesn't need it anymore. She didn't realize her son bought one already... Am I supposed to refund her completely ? I feel used, like she bought it for one purpose more like a rental..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook forum (140 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2012
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions