Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Textbook forum

International Edition Text

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 94 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 18, 2015 7:25:59 AM PDT
I accidentally purchased an IE textbook. I checked the listing again after I received it and it does say Int'l version but because I wasn't aware of this issue, I overlooked it when ordering. I suppose I will give the book a try for class but if the exercises don't match up or whatever, I'll have to eat the $40 I paid for it. Guess that's what I get for being cheap, right?! At last this softcover will be easier to tote around for subway study than the hardcover I might have to rent - I imagine the content is very similar. And I'll mark it up freely, which I rarely do with books that I aim to resell.

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 9:56:06 AM PST
A. sahota says:
Where can I buy international edition books? HELP!!!!!! I have 5 classes and just one of my books Is $200+

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 10:21:30 PM PST
I entered this discussion 4 years too late? Black market using students? How about the shenanigans going on in this country? Students are robbed by publishers because we have no choice. I have one international edition, hopefully it will work out but even so, I think it was a good choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2014 9:18:24 AM PST
Hello Akihiro,
I have bought international versions of textbook a couple of times and it has saved me some some. One time I bought A & P textbook from Malaysia and it reached me via DHL. the material is the same to the USA version except that International version was split into 2 volumes and the outside cover is a bit soft. I also bought a Stat bought international version but but had to buy the Access code separate from my Statham.
It saved me money compared to US version cost. Hope you find this helpful.

Yours,
Roland

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2014 7:29:14 PM PDT
What country did you buy the great quality one from? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2014 2:12:13 PM PDT
DC says:
Are you sure about that? I was just looking for a book and there is a guy selling one and he specifically states it's an international version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0073404772/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 6:53:14 PM PDT
I have seen "international edition" copies with two ISBNs, one that is unique to the international edition, and the other that is the one used in the U.S., leaving the impression that some of the confusion may be on the part of publishers who want foreign students to be able to identify the corresponding U.S. edition, but don't want U.S. students to know of the corresponding cheaper copy. I have seen foreign editions with a small image of the cover of the U.S. edition on the front, but have never seen a U.S. edition with a small image of the corresponding cheaper copy on the front. While advertising one thing and selling another (order the size S and get the size L, for example) may be frustrating, I can't really fault a bookseller who is also confused by the confusion sowed by publishers intent on making it harder to find a cheaper alternative.

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 1:49:41 PM PDT
marker12 says:
I'm glad to see that international editions are very similar to US editions. However, I have a real problem with a seller representing a book as a US edition and then mailing me an international version.

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 7:02:16 AM PDT
I ordered a 5th edition sedimentology and stratigraphy (Boggs) book and the IE version is missing roughly 200 pages (7xx - 5xx). Book was cheap enough to call it a learning experience. I'll be paying closer attention to table of contents and page counts if the info is even offered in the future.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 9:14:57 AM PDT
tetonmindy says:
do international editions come with access codes? I'm looking for an accounting book but if I have to buy the code separately it will cost me just as much as the bookstore price in the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2014 12:45:53 PM PDT
C. Harrell says:
Agreed!! Naysayers, say what you will...it's all about money to the publishers and authors, and it's no different for students that cannot afford to pay US prices...It's not about students taking advantage of the publishers and authors, it's about them taking advantage of students!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 8:31:35 AM PDT
Waterlee says:
I agree that IE textbooks are the way to go for STEM, but it's abundantly clear that Amazon has the right to prohibit trading in said products on their website. Don't blame Amazon because there are plenty of other places to find IE textbooks. I've purchased about $300 in IE texts for Junior's STEM classes this year. The standard U.S. versions would have cost me $1000 new.

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 1:32:20 AM PST
The textbook market is a complete racket and rip-off. However, as a student you have no or limited choices. Things I suggest: check to see if you can use an earlier edition of the textbook, go to school during finals week and attempt to buy text direct from a student in the same class, keep your eyes open there are many notes and postings of textbooks for sale by students, bound to be an off campus book store selling used books (usually at an affordable price) and lastly shop on line there a several textbook websites and always opt for a used book but beware and make sure it compatible with the class. I strongly recommend not to rent from online sites....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 6:30:39 AM PST
Robyn says:
I bought 2 international books for classes and they were the exact same.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2013 2:48:28 PM PST
Denni, I'm not sure what you mean by "authorized by the publisher." Under copyright law, if the reproduction itself was authorized (the copy was made by the publisher or by someone authorized by the publisher, assuming that the publisher is the copyright holder), then it can be sold even if the publisher emblazons it with warnings that it is not authorized for sale in the United States. Under copyright law, if you own the copy and the copy itself was made lawfully (as far as U.S. copyright law is concerned), then you are "entitled" to sell it, lend it or give it away without the consent of the copyright owner, and your entitlement is an express limitation to which the copyright owner's distribution right is subject.

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 12:10:55 AM PST
Denni says:
I'm a bit confused, are the International Editions authorized by the publisher? If so, there is nothing illegal about them (if the author is not compensated, that's a contract problem not a distribution problem)...if not authorized, they are in violation of copyright laws.

If International Editions are properly authorized, then owners can certainly dispose/sell/trade them as they wish (although I'm not surprised that liberal colleges do not accept them for trade, as those colleges are actually part of the problem in regards to the stupid high cost of higher education in America).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2013 8:24:53 PM PDT
As I understand the textbook publishers' argument (which the Supreme Court rejected) is that they wanted to use the US Copyright Act as an enforcer of their global price discrimination as a means of "market segmentation." In my view, it is the way global corporations carve up our world into a wealthy consumer segment and a low wage worker segment, but then, when they want to sell the high priced goods more cheaply to those who can't afford "what the market will bear" in developed countries, they try to maximize profits in each, and use clever mechanisms to try to keep the goods they sell more cheaply based on what the market will bear elsewhere from entering a market that will bear higher prices.

So, no. They can print as many copies as they need to meet the demand in developing nations, including the demand from consumers in those countries who purchase them for arbitrage resale here.

Textbook prices in the US have reportedly risen much faster than the rate of inflation thanks to "what the market will bear" mentality. The net effect of discriminating against US students with higher prices has been to (1) create the arbitrage market and (2) stimulate piracy (where students simply download a PDF copy illegally). I don't think anyone will stop the publishers from discriminatory pricing ("market segmentation"), but the arbitrage market should help put a damper on the US prices when the cheaper international copies become more widely available. As for the developing countries, the market for arbitrage should benefit the local economy, and if there is greater demand for copies abroad. I'm sure it will get filled.

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 5:57:34 PM PDT
Would these international edition books be going to students in developing countries if not bought by American students?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2013 1:14:46 PM PDT
mike says:
Anywhere you buy any textbook but unfortunately you are given alot less money on international editions

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2013 11:48:07 AM PDT
SK says:
Could you tell me where you sell international versions of textbooks?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 5:33:13 AM PDT
I bought one international version text: Griffiths E&M. There were several slight differences in the international version, for example, some figures were labelled differently or not labelled at all. This caused some issues for me when assigned problems referenced these figures and I did not have all the information I needed to do the problem without the figure labels. Such differences are probably extremely minor and not noted by most students.

I keep my textbooks to reference for the rest of my life so I personally have decided to go with the higher quality and guaranteed content of the U.S. version, although I do cringe at the expense.

Posted on May 27, 2013 2:23:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2013 2:38:10 PM PDT
Guys, it's a very simple concept. As long as the rules say they cannot be sold here, they cannot be sold here. Anyone that does so puts their seller account in jeopardy, among other things. When selling on a site, you are not bound only by the law, but also by the rules, terms, and conditions of the site on which you are selling. Those that choose to ignore those rules are also choosing to face the potential consequences. As you can see, Amazon's rule on this issue has NOT changed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?&nodeId=200267740

It would therefore be advisable, if you wish to sell international edition textbooks, to find a different site to do so on until such time, if ever, that Amazon does change their rules. I know for a fact that Amazon tends to take their rules seriously when violations are reported to them, and it seems like a lot to risk over selling a textbook, particularly when there are other sites where they are permitted and could be sold, and especially in light of the measures that Amazon has written into their terms and conditions regarding the actions they can take when the rules are violated. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. But, hey, it's your choice. You now know the rule, and know it's still in effect, at least for the time being. Beyond that, it's up to you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 9:04:40 AM PDT
mike says:
i bought both a behavioral statistics and chemistry international book for my classes they had the same material as the regular books except they were extremely cheaper!, the only thing is selling them back is almost impossible nobody would buy back my books

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 5:49:02 AM PDT
lagomorph says:
also, you can try ebay- here's an example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/International-Edition-Softcover-Microbiology-A-Systems-Approach-by-Cowan-N-/181060971301?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item2a28132b25

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 5:42:07 AM PDT
lagomorph says:
michelle, try asking on this forum- biology forums
http://biology-forums.com/profile/biobio/
they also have members that can tell you where to get e books versions online
I know, the price of textbooks, esp science, is ridiculous.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook forum (140 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  May 30, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 18, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions