Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 595 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 2:32:00 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
to be fair that's not really economics - that's finance.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 9:07:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 9:08:23 AM PDT
BC,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement...it really means a lot to know that there are still plenty of people who care about what happens to our country.

Best regards,
Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 6:51:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 7:01:56 AM PDT
M. Karazim says:
Glenn,

The game looks great and I will be purchasing it for Christmas this year. Each year I purchase a family gift, always a board game, that we keep over at my in-law's house to play on holidays and at family dinners. The game will make a great addition to our collection! I hope your brother is able to keep production in the USA long-term. It really isn't priced much higher than other board games and I'll gladly pay the difference for something unique. I will definitely post a review for it after we play. It looks like it has many glowing reviews from others already!

Take care,
Melissa

Melissa,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for wanting to buy the game. I can assure you that when you play this game you and your family will have more fun than you can imagine. The game was test-played on over 2000 people of all ages (teens to seniors) over a three year time span with amazing feedback. People even told us they laughed so hard they cried and the game is different each time you play it - so it doesn't get old. We hope to always make the game right here in the USA and with great people like you buying it, liking it and telling others about it, maybe that will make it possible. I look forward to your review posted on Amazon, after you have played it several times.

Thanks again and best regards,
Glenn

P.S. I just noticed that you have written 161 reviews and are a respected Amazon Vine Voice, as well. So your review would be very welcome and carry some "extra weight".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 9:44:35 AM PDT
Dear Displaced Mic: Been thinking a lot about your small business posts, and I wonder, Do U have any info (website or pending legislative bill) about such a platform?

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 2:52:36 PM PDT
K. H. says:
I will pay more for and search out an item that is made in the USA. I especially try to avoid purchasing from countries whose practices and ideology differ so much from my own.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 3:18:42 PM PDT
Funky Fred says:
yes, yes it does i know a lto of the toys and games i purchase are made in China or Japan or somewhere else in the world and a lot of times i cant really help it but it does bother me. I mean you never see stuff made in the us anymore. peope are always complaining about the economy and the fact that we need more jobs, well we need to stop importing all our stuff and toys are no exception so yes it does matter to me whether toys are made in the usa or not. BTW I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES AND STEGOSAURUSES

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 4:41:08 PM PDT
Elizabeth says:
I prefer to buy items made in the USA and do business with companies whose customer service is in the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 8:09:25 AM PDT
Elizabeth - you are true patriot!
Thanks, Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 11:11:14 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
sure
http://www.lp.org/

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 11:57:48 AM PDT
tony m says:
I live in CT. not far from the Mass. border I have seen over the years the employment drasticly drop at Lego,in enfield,and Milt & Bradly co. Just over the line in Mass.about 6 miles apart. 20yrs ago when M&B let out @ 4:00pm & second shift was starting you did not want to drive buy the plant from 3:00-5:00 pm thats how maney people were employed in that area! today you can drive buy either plant any time of the day and never run into traffic.
how sad the thousands of jobs gone! just to fill the pockets of the ceo's for a little more cash. And as quality goes. we'll put it this way. I have the origional checker board set from M&B made in Mass. when my grandson wants to play checkers he asks me to get my set not the set he got as a gift.
made in china. I asked him why one time?he said my set was awsum it felt like you were playing a pro's game, the detail on the kings the way the teeth
locked together. you can see the quality is like night & day!the chinese are good copiers,but they will never duplicate our products their materials are substandard,to ours and quality can't compare. be a proud american! made
in USA!! do well on your venture Fill some of those old factorys with american workers. every state or town has one. I will always buy made in usa.if I have the option.YES even if its a little more. tony.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:01:06 PM PDT
Bravo, you should send this letter to the president.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 12:36:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 12:48:12 AM PDT
h says:
2 Corrections I should bring to your attention.
(1) China companies and several other manufacturers have workers that produce more at significantly lower pay and have the same or superior standards as US manufactured Products. China realized a long time ago that the only way to compete in the market place was to manufacture according to multiple quality standards such as ISO 9000 quality management standards. If you do not know what these standards are, you are not informed enough on the global business environment and should consider reading rather than posting.

(2) Outsourcing manufacturing is done so that the US business survives in the GLOBAL MARKET PLACE. IF you require companies to hire here they will have an increased likelihood that they will lose their COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE IN THE GLOBAL MARKETPLACE. Do you people posting here about the Hoorah of US jobs understand that large companies operate in a global environment. For example, Policies in the USA will affect a company's competitive advantage in another country and have a NET NEGATIVE impact on the company's entire business operation.

Tony M, the outsourcing of manufacturing has a positive affect on the dividends and share value of the shares my grandparents hold in their retirement account that is allowing them to pay for their medical bills. So rather than focus on our efforts of decreasing the minimum wage or emphasizing the exorbitant lifestyle many Americans have when compared with the Chinese and others who manufacture with much lower wages you have decided to focus on the idea that people should buy from the USA because it is the USA no matter what. My grandparent's and many other elderly American's retirement and pension is a higher priority than the American overpaid jobs that MAY or MAY NOT BE created from the "buy from USA" campaign.

I find it amusing to see how so many think that outsourcing Corporations and their CEOs are evil when they are simply trying to improve the revenue of the company so that my grandparents can pay their medical bills. Corporations are people, they have shareholders, American shareholders, who are affected significantly by the benefits to revenue a corporation realizes from outsourcing. Lastly, the chess set your grandson wanted to play with was made a long time ago when the gap between our manufacturing and China's was larger, and we had significantly superior manufacturing. There is no longer that large gap and the only way the US can keep several manufacturing jobs that are continually being outsourced WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY keep their competitive advantage in a Global Environment is if the American worker has a lifestyle of sacrifice similar to that of the international workers (Lower wages, less gadgets, less fun). Make your choice, Company X will lose its superiority in the global environment for the sake of US manufacturing jobs or sacrifice US manufacturing jobs so US Company X can remain number 1 in the global environment. You cannot have both so pick 1. Make another choice, are you going hurt the retirement and pensions of many elderly by penalizing US companies who seek the best bang for their buck by promoting a boycott of their Made in China products?

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 9:40:08 AM PDT
nikoleta says:
It does, because toys from China are often polluted with lead:(((

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:11:12 AM PDT
E. Volkmer says:
http://www.oehha.org/prop65.html

So many products have this warning....and they are usually made in CHINA...

Why is that?

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 1:10:24 PM PDT
Why all the hate towards non-Americans and the notion that Americans are somehow superior to the rest of humanity?

Also a few things to note:
1. "Made in USA" does not automatically mean "Made by USA Laborers". It often means "Made by Machines located in the USA", and probably means this more often that it means "Made by USA laborers".
2. The majority of plastic toys are made from Injection-molded ABS, which, regardless of where the molding occurs, is done mostly by machines, usually with just a few humans telling the machines what to do and running routine maintenance.
3. Even Injection-molded ABS is an endangered technology.
4. Taxing corporations for outsourcing, or the more reasonable proposal to extend minimum wage law to include non-domestic employees would do little to create jobs in the USA. If anything, it would encourage corporations to forsake manual labor for automation, reducing the number of jobs globally.
5. In general, there is NOTHING any Government can do to reduce unemployment short of hiring people en mass and putting them to work. Of course, this would increase the tax burdern, and most of the work the government could give such individuals would amount to busy work.
6. Countless corporations and their executives are guilty of unethical practices and seldom do any of them reap the consequences of their misdeeds. However, eliminating obsolete positions and favoring the most economically viable workforce are not among their unethical practices.
7. The US Workforce has and continues to benefit from outsourcing. The Lego factory tony m mentioned only ever existed because of outsourcing(The Lego Group is a Danish company), and Japanese automaker Toyota manufactures a much, if not all, of what it sells in North America here in the USA. If one did through research, I am sure you could find countless Eurasian Corporations who have Americans on their payroll because it is cheaper to manufacture their products here than in their home country and ship across the Atlantic or Pacific.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 2:24:40 AM PDT
My opinion

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 11:47:47 AM PDT
Just want to remind those interested that ABCWorldNews will be running another segment of their "Made in America" series this evening, after a long hiatus. So far this has been a mostly "feel good" presentation, but tonight's episode is supposed to show how Americans R coming back to the "made in USA" fold. Might be worth watching.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 12:18:12 PM PDT
I don't think any of us hate non-Americans, it's more like fear of what's happening in this country due to our own unemployment (and watching the unemployment rates and riots in Europe).

"Made by Machines located in the USA" still generates jobs in this country, as we've discussed previously.

The government COULD hire people en masse, to rebuild the infrastructure of this country, e.g., roads and utilities come to mind. This would mean training programs, (yes, paid for by taxes), but these workers would have a lifetime occupation.

i believe the Hoover Dam was built by the Civilian Corps during the Great Depression. The program was eventually killed by the Republican Party and others who feared FDR's power, with justification.

Something to feel good about: Locally, a small business that sells solar attic fans built by a local workforce has actually started EXPORTING them to the Middle East and other countries. He's been in business 10 years now, so "made in the USA" actually can succeed. Obviously, it takes a lot of research. I believe the owner worked on his invention part-time and eventually was able to launch his own business.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:53:06 PM PDT
I agree that the Government investing money in upgrading our outdated transit system is a good idea(and far better than wasting it on bullying less developed countries). Still, with the way technology has advanced in the last 80 years coupled with explosive population growth, the number of individuals per 100,000 employed by a modern day Civilian Corps would be a drop in the bucket compared to what was employed during FDR's reign. The benefits of modernizing transit in the USA would be tremendous, but a significant drop in unemployment would not be one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:15:49 PM PDT
In reply to your post on Apr 24, 2012 11:57:48 AM PDT
tony m says:
I live in CT. not far from the Mass. border I have seen over the years the employment drasticly drop at Lego,in enfield,and Milt & Bradly co. Just over the line in Mass.about 6 miles apart. 20yrs ago when M&B let out @ 4:00pm & second shift was starting you did not want to drive buy the plant from 3:00-5:00 pm thats how maney people were employed in that area! today you can drive buy either plant any time of the day and never run into traffic.
how sad the thousands of jobs gone! just to fill the pockets of the ceo's for a little more cash. And as quality goes. we'll put it this way. I have the origional checker board set from M&B made in Mass. when my grandson wants to play checkers he asks me to get my set not the set he got as a gift.
made in china. I asked him why one time?he said my set was awsum it felt like you were playing a pro's game, the detail on the kings the way the teeth
locked together. you can see the quality is like night & day!the chinese are good copiers,but they will never duplicate our products their materials are substandard,to ours and quality can't compare. be a proud american! made in USA!! do well on your venture Fill some of those old factorys with american workers. every state or town has one. I will always buy made in usa.if I have the option.YES even if its a little more. tony.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony,

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Your post says so much...I just wish everyone could read it and understand what is really happening to our country. We will do our best to keep making Outside the Box™ right here in the USA. It is people like you and your grandson that keep us inspired.

Best regards,
Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 8:00:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 8:02:11 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
I don't think we can put the blame entirely on the Chinese factories or filling the pockets of corporate board of directors. A portion of the blame should be on the parents who would rather give their kids the latest video games that kill things in the game, feed them McDonalds and put them in front of a computer instead of teaching them how to play board games, buying them toys so they can actually use their imagination or toys they can build things with and use their hands. Do kids actually play in the sandbox anymore?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 6:54:23 PM PDT
I only buy Usa products made in Usa. China workers labor is cheaper but they do not do the work as well as us Usa people. It amazes me that apple is in China. Remember the problem with the iphone antenna!!!

Posted on May 3, 2012 3:44:48 AM PDT
Awdsyco says:
Free enterprise market, as long as it has low price and good quality why care where it comes from. All Apple products made in China, quality is there and they sold in millions. Don't be ignorant, this is 20th century with global economy. Even your American cars are made in Mexico and Canada.

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:24:46 AM PDT
ben m. says:
listen up, the soloution, simple, have 2 series, 1 expansive series with made in the usa on the bottem in bold letters, 1 series cheap as crap with made in china in size 3 letters.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 6:53:02 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
how is that either simple or a solution?
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (350 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  208
Total posts:  595
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions