Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Black Doll sells for $20 more than other dolls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-338 of 338 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012, 7:00:58 AM PDT
When time permits, please read or search for the "Clark test". For your search terms, please use "Clark dolls test".

If memory serves me correctly this test was influential in Brown v. Board and not much has changed. At work so can't do a full blown search but if you haven't located it by the time I get off, I will search for it later on this evening.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012, 10:46:00 AM PDT
aprony says:
Moxie Girls, Barbies. Lalaloopsie dolls... none of them resemble real women. Perhaps if they all came with green skin our girls would cease to aspire to these impossible body images. The newer models with humongous heads and oversize eyes are just creepy.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012, 1:49:18 PM PDT
Kate says:
Some people always need to complain about something. I have a feeling if the black doll sold for a dollar and the white doll for $20, this same person would still complain, this time screaming that the *lower* price was somehow disparaging to black people, that the cheapness somehow implied that black people were less valuable than white people. Yes, I despise whiners, of all colors.
Your reply to Kate's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 7:29:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 9, 2012, 8:09:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 7:31:27 PM PDT
Yep...deal with it

Posted on Jul 11, 2012, 5:19:42 AM PDT
jun yan says:
I am a weirdo

Posted on Jul 13, 2012, 1:52:06 PM PDT
AHAGAHAGAHAG! black people are like this and white people are like that! We'll never get over our differences! We're destined to die in the streets!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012, 2:12:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 13, 2012, 2:13:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2014, 2:43:13 AM PST
Top reviewer says:
Moxie Girlz Magic Hair Salon Torso, SophinaMoxie Girlz Magic Hair Bendy Braids Torso - Bria
I have an economics background and I can honestly say the price differential cannot be driven by supply and demand alone.
I will not pay more than twice the price for a doll that is made of the same materials same size etc... just to get it in a different colour. It is discriminatory in my opinion.

Cars are a great example - yes popular coulors might sell for a bit more but would you pay an extra 20% to get a car in black instead of yellow.

It's a joke. Barbie sells black dolls and the price difference is not large enough for anyone to care about the Moxie dolls on the other hand are taking the biscuit (you know what i wanted to write here)!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014, 10:19:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2014, 5:44:36 AM PST
Black dolls more expensive !???
But, of COURSE !!
I'd rather pay more for an exquisite Michelle Obama doll than for a tacky Sarah Palin doll, any day !!
Just goes to show that we really do "Get what you we pay for!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2015, 11:03:47 AM PST
DisplacedMic says:
yikes - i'd ask for my money back from whomever taught you economics.

To use your own example, you wouldn't "pay an extra 20%" to get a car in black instead of yellow but it sounds like you would take a yellow car in lieu of a black one for 20% less.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2015, 11:23:36 AM PST
The car example is a horrible analogy in itself, and "popular" colored cars usually do go for slightly more at a resell (which is really what this is about, Amazon doesn't mark up the price, third party sellers selling through amazon's website do)

If I made 100 blonde barbies, 100 brunette barbies, 100 red head barbies, and 100 black barbies. The demand for the black is going to be the most, because more "my daughter's doll must match her" types would be ok with a different hair color, while the black doll is separate from that logic, it becomes 300 white dolls vs 100 black, thus there are less available, and the after market value increases.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2015, 2:23:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 11, 2015, 2:36:56 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (356 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  199
Total posts:  338
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers