Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

WHAT? This is NOT price gouging!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-147 of 147 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 13, 2012, 6:29:35 PM PST
I love that word...ignorance.All this because some lady got yelled at by their kids because they didnt get what they want...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012, 9:03:35 PM PST
It's not so much the RIGHT to have something, Vernon..it's more of a matter of the LEFT to have something...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012, 9:52:46 PM PST
DisplacedMic says:
haha, seriously. he clearly didn't read what i wrote - which became quite clear once he started defining the word "assortment" for me. That being said, he did concede that cheating is the wrong word so i suppose all is well.

It seems to me that people have gotten away from the idea that value and worth are subjective. We have allowed government and big-business to tell us what things are worth and that's nonsense.

Both Amazon and Ebay are shining examples of everything that is great about American ingenuity and capitalism. Neither company is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's no accident that both survived the .com bubble burst almost completely unscathed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012, 8:12:47 AM PST
We will concede that sometimes items don't make it onto the shelf, but there could be a variety of reasons for it from the example stated to simply not having enough room on a peg hook. Stores are required to put items on the shelf according to the diagrams (planograms) they receive from corporate and are not allowed to deviate. The managers get points for this kind of thing in their own performance reviews. If an item doesn't fit, it goes into upstock or back into the warehouse. Do employees sometimes get items before they hit the shelf? Most certainly. However, it's not widespread, and as stated before, it's not like any of this behaviour affects things on the kind of national basis people complain about here. Judging from the way the story is retold here, were we stocking the shelf, we wouldn't have given the poster much thought either, since he retells the story in such a way that he is not portrayed in a flattering light; as a matter of fact, he is portrayed as whiny, petulant and demanding. Warehouse and merchandisers are NOT the sales team. If there is a problem with something not being on a shelf, you don't go to the guy putting it on the shelf and you don't whine and complain. Talk to a SALES person. That's their job. (Just don't act whiny and entitled to them).

Posted on Feb 14, 2012, 11:35:45 AM PST
Atrac059 says:
Customer serivce is dead.... and online shoppers killed it....

Posted on Feb 20, 2012, 11:58:58 AM PST
A. J. Bagley says:
The way I price all of my items is by comparison and what the market will bare. My wife is terminally ill and the only reason that I am selling any of my collection is to pay for her care. Being a collector of 40 plus years I want to charge only what I myself would be willing to pay for any such item. I do extensive research on any item I put up, including product history and price comparison. Yeah, I do see an excess of prices that I think are way too high, but like alot of you are saying, if the price is too high for you then simply put, don't buy it. Period. If a seller has their items ridiculously priced, those items will most likely sit for a long time and not be sold except by someone willing to pay said price. My only advice to those who do not have deeper pockets is to jump on the lower prices while they're available. Good things don't always come to those wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012, 12:01:40 PM PST
A. J. Bagley says:
I believe that would vary from merchant to merchant. My own customer service skills are excellent. Try me and see for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012, 7:37:07 PM PST
Jason Keener says:
Impossible to sell for double or triple what it is worth. Worth is in the eye of the buyer. If it were triple what it was "worth" to the buyer, why would they buy it. It would not be worth it. Our economy is based on this principle of supply and demand. Diamonds are nearly worthless items yet men spend 10's of thousands of dollar on them to propose to the woman they love. This alone makes them very valuable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012, 8:24:15 PM PST
A. J. Bagley says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 2:28:53 AM PST
"They just keep raking in the money. Money off the backs of the work of the poor people they exploit. "

"So when I find I have something that is selling for 5 or 10 times what I paid for it I sure don't sell it at original cost because some buyers might think that's the fair thing to do. You would do the same."

Here's a wonderful trick, post something, then come back a few months later and read it. Or say it out loud and listen. If it's crazy, post less.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012, 11:15:26 AM PST
M. Bell says:
Some online stores, such as entertainmentearth, sell toys by the case so you can be sure to get the toys you want. And they take preorders so you won't miss any. They do charge a premium for that.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 6:17:17 PM PST
S. Fontes says:
If you want a HOT TOY delivered to your HOME by CHRISTMAS this time of year and you don't think you are going to pay through the nose for that privilege than UMMMM...OK.....Well...just keep complaining....I guess....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012, 7:03:11 AM PST
Jontau Hines says:
Its all about priorities.....the when and how of your decision making and accepting the many possible outcomes it could hold for you and those around you. (cause and effect.) whats right and wrong never really matters because were all different with are own views on how things should be done. Life is the time line of what you did and experienced..... not the day you died. the clock is ticking

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2013, 12:22:45 PM PST
Frank Lee says:
I like amazon message boards because they're where POS go to just say what they really think. Oh, and also prove they're POS.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2013, 12:40:19 PM PST
DisplacedMic says:
and to revive year old threads...
;-p

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2015, 7:46:29 AM PST
It actually IS price gouging- doesn't matter if it's a emergency situation or not- here's a definition:

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

With that being said, I expect it from Ebay or even Amazon. I am; however, very disappointed when so-called "reputable companies" partake in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2015, 8:02:34 AM PST
DisplacedMic says:
It's also 100% subjective. For example, we've all read about that company selling the previously $3 AIDS pill for $100+ a pill. Many people would agree that this is "price gouging"

Selling a toy for more than somebody values it is not "price gouging"
if that item is truly over-priced, nobody will buy it

Posted on Dec 13, 2015, 11:56:14 AM PST
Guess what, Amazon. Your faithful buyer is now on boycott until the holidays are over. I'll shop at the brick and mortar stores and be glad they're still an option. They don't price hike on supply and demand during the holidays. Yes, I may not be able to get that lego set for my son. It's my fault for not buying it earlier. All of us know better. We are used to our Prime getting us almost everything and a good deal! It's great most of the time. Christmas countdown, not so much. See you all in January :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2016, 8:31:16 AM PST
Crissandra says:
I am also. I won't buy from Amazon for stuff like Christmas anymore .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2016, 12:15:25 AM PST
Bryan Garner says:
My issue is as a parent with not much money and I start budgeting my Christmas list and then all of a sudden an item I was planning on getting for one of my kids doubles or triples in price. It is very upsetting and I pay attention to which sellers do it. I will never do business with someone like that. I was lucky this year and got everything done early. Last year there was an item that happened on and no I didn't get in January. I just waited and got it this Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2016, 5:01:06 AM PST
DisplacedMic says:
yes, that's called supply and demand. If the item you were planing on buying doubles and triples in price, why not just buy it elsewhere? If it's not available elsewhere then THAT is why the price went up - more people want it than have it available. Look at it this way, if the price hadn't doubled or tripled then it would have sold out and you still wouldn't have gotten it, at least now you have a chance if you really want it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2016, 5:06:13 PM PST
Your absolutely correct in many ways. However what sucks is when my child ask Santa for one specific 14 dollar toy and grown adults go to the toy stores and buy them all up and sell them all online for unaffordable prices and I have to explain to my 7 year old son who believes in santa that h e will not get it. All he asked for was a 14 dollar toy and it's now sold out in every store except amazon and eBay who is selling it for 159 or 259.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (358 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers