Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Black Doll sells for $20 more than other dolls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 338 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011, 7:38:52 PM PST
Melanie Lane says:
Oh they do not! My daughter has dolls (disney and barbie fashion dolls) She has black ones, white ones, asian ones, and latina ones. Her favorite? Disneys Tiana Ballerina doll.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011, 9:36:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2011, 9:51:25 AM PST
Memme says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 17, 2011, 12:52:16 PM PST
Let me begin with saying Memme... a little late aren't ya? I doubt she'll even see your 12 year old girl-esq response. This whole internets thing isn't really a "catch up three months later on the convo" type of device.

Secondly, Iet me introduce you to some reality. Taking sociology 101 does not make you well informed about absolutely any of the real issues plaguing our world today. The fact that you just quoted your intro to sociology text book for your defense proves this. It mearly gives you a taste of awareness you obviously have not had before and lets you believe you understand one iota of what it means to be a person living in todays society. Regardless of wether or not you agree with the "status quo" (which really does not apply to this conversation mind you), it fortunately has nothing to do with what you believe in. This is reality. Little girls growing up in America have more of an opportunity to express themselves and to learn who they are and who they want to be as people than in any other nation on this planet. I do enjoy that you repeatedly try to make the underlining point that America is a "sick" society over and over and over again, and its in these words i understand that you are incredibly ill versed in cultures of the world, and have probably never left the country, aside from a three week european tour one summer with a few of your equally clueless peers. Well let me fill you in. I am a professor of Behavioral Sciences with my Doctorate in Child Development, I have traveled the entire world absorbing every culture i can find, I have been everywhere you could dream to go. Heres what you dont know, because it is hard to know anything standing with your back against the tallest wall, insulting your own people, with absolutely no idea of whats really on the other side. Every nation on this planet, aside from a small handful, legalized prostitution openly, have higher murder rates, higher drug rates, higher crime, reports of rape, child molestation, corruption and all out depravity than the land you so arrogantly and ungratefully live in today. Go to South Africa, they have 100 rapes a day, a reported 50 murders a DAY, home invasions constantly that leave 12 year old girls with HIV from sexual assaults, yet you think America is sick?? Unfortunately white women these days have such a small understanding of this country that they take one set of classes and believe there opinion is actually informed. If you think America is so sick, you should schedule a vacation to Saudi Arabia, or maybe Yemen, go preach there about how difficult your life is as a woman, and see if you dont get stones thrown at you until you cover your face and hair. Try walking on the streets in any of a hundred cities in Africa, and see if your voice means anything when your surrounded by uncontrolled gangs of under evolved black men who will rape and kill you just for being white and will get away with it. Why dont you go to Central or South America, and look all the thousands of woman in the face who are forced into sex trafficking and prostitution because there is no other way for them to survive? (And then that pompous ignorant attitude perks up in you and you think to yourself that could never happen to you because you would just kill yourself or run away, well guess what, when you know nothing better, death is not an option, and there is no escape). You want some first world examples? How about London where white English women are being mass targeted by Pakistani men who beat, rape and kill them, or even worse drug and sell them into prostitution against there will? The same is happening in France right now. Look at Eastern Europe, women have zero rights outside of the home, yet America is sick?? You need to educate yourself with that high reading comprehension score you got back in highschool, because this is grown up time. You think these petty bs issues of race in this country do anything but waste time and energy for anyone?? In America, we drag these topics through the dirt because we have nothing better to waste our time on. If the Jewish people spent the next 100 years doing nothing but complaining about what happened to them in the 40's, do you think they wouldn't be half as useless as the 80% of the blacks in this country today? Racism is not about what is real or present, its about holding on to this idea that "everyones against you" or "someone's keeping me down" simply to explain away your own short comings and to even allow you as a people to not try at all, under the guise that you cant achieve anything even if you want to. Add to the fact the government hands out piles of tax payer dollars and healthcare benefits to fund the worthless existence of so many worthless people who never learned or even cared how to "try" and do not even attempt to make anything of themselves because they've been taught its so much easier to just give up, say you never had a chance, and then put your palms up for that free money every month. The worst part comes from these black families doing everything they can to suppress there own children from growing and learning, out of an inner jealousy for the freedom and acceptance they themselves where never born into. Instead they teach them to immediately be the minority with a language thats untreatable, and a persona thats un-socializable. Racism is breed in the black community, and it is there that it lives and breaths and grows. Back to the point, If blacks taught real values, taught there kids to try harder so that they could afford to buy more personally preferred merchandise, and contributed more to the economy, retailers and manufacturers would be more inclined to produce the products they wanted. This is not an equal situation we are facing, we turn on the tv and now see a black person in every single commercial, in every shot of every television camera within 5 min, 12% of the population has managed to become a part of 99% of what's pushed in your face. This is not due to "equality" by any means, this is an attempt to satisfy a never ending black hole of unsatisfaction and social reparation. No people in the history of the planet have ever taken one event that lasted only 200 years, and wasted more of their energy, stuck, unable and unwilling to progress forward because of the mere feelings they have. Black people act as if slavery was the worst thing to ever happen to anyone, well heres a reality check, its not. And no one cares if you get over it or not. You want a black doll for your daughter? Contribute more to a market whose design is to produce what sells, not what makes you feel racially satisfied and helps you sleep at night. Welcome to the real world.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011, 2:50:47 PM PST
Melanie Lane says:
TL/DR

Posted on Feb 17, 2011, 5:18:33 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011, 10:06:54 PM PST
Mimosa says:
oh my god! what an arrogant ignorant jerk. let me make this short as you obviously don't know how: get over yourself and shut up!

Posted on Feb 18, 2011, 7:46:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 18, 2011, 8:05:34 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011, 7:48:05 AM PST
Glass houses my friend.

Posted on Feb 18, 2011, 8:05:19 AM PST
I just assumed the point of this thread was to have an educated discussion, not just embody the root issues involved in all of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2011, 12:44:11 PM PST
Wow, someone's dense.

Posted on Feb 19, 2011, 2:41:11 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011, 4:20:16 PM PST
and who might that be

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011, 4:20:30 PM PST
you are retarded

Posted on Feb 20, 2011, 7:51:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2011, 7:52:01 PM PST
Grant Payton says:
This is an interesting and troll-proof discussion.

Posted on Feb 20, 2011, 11:58:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2011, 2:12:54 AM PST
Summer Skye says:
Question for Grant who posted before me: What does troll-proof mean?

Anyway- As a collector of material goods on Amazon myself, I do know for fact that the more rare or hard to find items on Amazon or any marketplace, such as antiques, dolls, collectible toys, old records, vintage clothing, etc. the more expensive. I don't believe the Sellers are trying to rip anyone off per say (I hope not at least) but typically the prices are dependent on the scarcity of the item. High Demand + Low Supply = More Expensive... Which makes (some) of us want it even more...

Here's a solution: Just buy your kid a toy that has nothing to do with skin color like a My Little Pony. They are cuter and I would imagine less expensive anyway and they come in literally every color of the rainbow which is why I have loved them ever since I was a kid. Plus, they are cool as hell, particularly the older ones. However, in my opinion, the current and new My Little Pony's (circa 2010/2011) are straight up frightening. Hasbro basically desicrated an american icon with their new MLP design team.

Tra, la, la, love, peace -Summer Skye.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011, 5:14:15 AM PST
Poppy Faz says:
You are right Adam. Kids aren't born racist. They are taught to hate by families, friends, and many so called leaders, white and black. Some people make their living from one group of people hating another. Others are just full of hate themselves because of their own ignorance. Sign me Ultra-conservative, but NOT A RACIST!

Posted on Feb 21, 2011, 12:00:45 PM PST
C. Widmer says:
And if the black dolls were cheaper then the white dolls,you would all SCREAM racism because they cost less.It's a doll!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011, 8:15:30 AM PST
Raye Johnson says:
Have you asked a child? My children are mixed and they DO ask questions like, why is my doll white when I am not, and, my dolls do not look like me. Dolls of all colors are very important. I buy dolls and find as a collector I pay more for the dark skinned dolls as they are rare to find. I think if the same doll is costing more for a different skin tone then people need to call the vendor and complain.
I am not looking for an argument just my thoughts.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011, 11:12:52 AM PST
Cattie Price says:
This is interesting to me, because when I just viewed the products, the black dolls are $19.99 and $18.75 while the white dolls are $28.95 and $18.93. I humbly contend that the original poster was reading too much into the fluctuating pricing of these dolls, which most likely had absolutely nothing to do with race.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011, 3:23:33 PM PDT
Abigail Reid says:
Good point if looking at it from a white perspective where you have daily images of your own selves that are portrayed positively. However, I live in the UK where there are less media and other representations of Black people that are positive. I never had a Black doll growing up and I want my children to have positive representations of their race and culture. They are surrounded by white influences and culture and they will have white dolls at preschool, school, play areas etc - they are 'two a penny'. I buy Black dolls for my daughter for those reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011, 3:29:44 PM PDT
Abigail Reid says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011, 3:36:16 PM PDT
Abigail Reid says:
Thank you to you and M Polite for being the voices of intelligence and reason in the face of so many ignorant posts.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011, 7:03:18 PM PDT
Kristen says:
I heard an interesting piece on NPR's This American Life about doll races and their respective popularities. Not a happy story for the little black baby dolls. Here's a blog that links to it. I guess you have to fast forward 41 minutes. It's really an interesting piece, though.
http://multiracialsky.wordpress.com/2008/01/

Posted on Oct 6, 2011, 10:47:01 AM PDT
Elly says:
We got dolls that were of other ethnic groups than our kids on purpose, so the "doll girls" would be playing with each other and would not be all white.

As to prices, Amazon vendors set their prices up down & all around. Shop till you find a price you like.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011, 10:52:20 AM PDT
R. Hayward says:
Das Racist!!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (358 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  199
Total posts:  338
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers