Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Travel forum

Tell me about the places you have traveled

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2010, 9:30:29 PM PDT
In my youth I have seen most of the western states, but except for a couple of trips to NYC, I have been home bound, so I'd love to hear about your favorite travel experience.

My favorite would have to be the Redwood Forest in northern California. You haven't seen a forest until you see that one.

My friend, Jim Woods, and I wrote a collection of travel articles. Here's one of them.

Our Splendid Earth III (The American West)

Posted on Sep 20, 2010, 5:51:54 PM PDT
raindrops says:
Just finished up a two month overland camping trip through Eastern and Southern Africa. I went to eight or nine of the most famous game parks and they live up to the hype. Absolutely stunning; lions, cheetahs, elephants, giraffe, etc. all 10 meters from the truck! Saw Victoria Falls and did a 111 m. bungee jump from the bridge connecting Zambia and Zimbabwe, then went skydiving over the desert in Namibia. Incredible natural sights and loads of adrenaline activities made for non stop excitement.

In the U.S. I went to the Grand Canyon in May and it was awesome. Definitely a wonder of the world and probably my favorite place in America.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011, 12:07:18 PM PST
jtbirdie says:
I travelled solo for 3 months in New Zealand and Australia using couch surfing whenever possible. Down Under Over Easy - How I Couch Surfed My Way To A Less Expensive Holiday is my account of that remarkable trip. Have you ever thought of: staying with total strangers in a foreign country; travelling alone or with family or friends, to meet up with kindred spirits; saving money while enriching your life beyond any expectations? This is couch surfing and you can do it! I used couch surfing to enhance my travels by staying with local people and making friends along the way. Whatever age you are and if you want to see more than the inside of a hotel or tourist bus when you travel, you need this book. Down Under Over Easy will connect you with couch surfing to give you true insider knowledge of the places you visit. I tell you all about this free, web-based system that links travelers with hosts worldwide. If you aren't able to travel, you can have the world come to you by hosting travellers. It's a blast!
downunderovereasy.com

Posted on Jan 6, 2011, 7:35:33 PM PST
He who reads says:
So far I have 68 countriess and counting. Last trip was Machu Picchu and the Galapagos. NBooks will come out on kindle in 3 months. A World Trip is out

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011, 10:28:23 AM PST
Lientje says:
Marti: My favorite places to visit in the U.S. are those that have a long-time history behind them and great architecture. These would include almost all of
New England, and HIspanic driven states like Southern California and Florida, and some Texas towns like San Antonio that are near the border.

I have been to nearly every country in Europe and haven't met one I didn't like yet, though Italy is probably my favorite with England a close second. I'm 67
and at this age I plan to spend most of my travel time revisiting places I love but the one country that I haven't been too yet, but really really want to is Kenya.
I'm told that is dangerous however, so don't know if I will make it.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011, 9:21:08 AM PST
Read the winners of Travelers Tales for more ideas.
Winners of the Fifth Annual Solas Awards for Best Travel Story of the Year were announced February 28, 2011 by the editors of Travelers' Tales.
This is a good place to find excellent travel writing. For example,
the best account of a trip on the water in any vessel, from the smallest kayak to the largest ship category
Gold: "Dolphin Messengers" is a segment of the award winning sailing journey "Empty Nest to Life Vest: Plotting a New Course."

Posted on Mar 21, 2011, 11:50:41 AM PDT
Doug DePew says:
I've travelled all over the southeastern US and much of the western US. I lived in Germany for two years, and while I was there, I travelled to Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Spain, and the Netherlands. I also spent a month in London. We've also been to Mexico about ten times.

This year I'm going to Alaska with my wife!! That's one of my life-long dreams, so I'm hyper-excited.
Doug DePew
SAT & BAF!: Memories of a Tower Rat

Posted on Mar 23, 2011, 2:23:38 AM PDT
Wow! 68 countries... I never counted them,
but, I HAVEN'T been to:
The Polar Caps
South Africa
Russia
Cuba
Dubai

Posted on Mar 30, 2011, 1:30:24 AM PDT
Ihaven'tbeen fortunate enough to travel much compared to all of you in this discussion.
We visited Italy,France (a little) and the CanaryIslands.We did however really starttravels when we discovered a Honda Gold Wing motorbike in middle-age and set off into the unknown in Europe. Just Us Two:Ned and Rosie's GoldWing Discovery was Winner 2010 International Book Awards (Travel:Recretional)and Finalist in USA BookNews Best Books Awards-same category in 2009.More travels in Chasing Rainbows with Just Us Two.Both on Kindle and print Also visited many Islands. Would love tosee USA though.
Just Us Two: Ned and Rosie's Gold Wing Discovery
Chasing Rainbows: with Just Us Two

Posted on Apr 12, 2011, 5:19:53 AM PDT
M. Lisney says:
I have travelled much of Europe bt have travelled the states also across the mid and southern region to California, so much did I enjoy I wrote a book about it which is available on my website www.mikelisney.co.uk. Shameless plug but new author needs more money.

Fave place to visit was Cuba though magic place and people

Posted on Apr 12, 2011, 11:00:02 PM PDT
B. Wandert says:
Over the past 5 years, my husband and I have slow-traveled around the U.S. with a few excursions north of the border thrown in. I documented what we did and you can read all about it in my just-published book: Releasing the Inner Vagabond: Synopsis of a 5-year cross-country travel adventure, also available in Kindle.
As the name implies, the book is a synopsis of our travels. I've kept it short and sweet, sharing my general impressions of various regions. Live vicariously through my book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2011, 7:20:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 3, 2011, 7:26:24 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 3, 2011, 7:29:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2011, 7:31:04 PM PDT
Joshua Tree National Park-Southern California.My uncle was a Geology Professor at a well-known university. As such, he has traveled extensively and seen MANY unique and interesting sights (North pole, just for example). After his first visit to Joshua Tree and seeing the HUGE boulders, the formations, the hiking, the views, the wildlife, etc.-his comment to me was:"There is NO PLACE on earth like Joshua Tree."
I have been there many times, since then, myself.
The following website has a stunning picture from Joshua Tree, as well as links from there to other web pages about Joshua Tree.
www.allinclusivevacationpackagecalifornia.com
(P.S. Clear day at Joshua Tree? You can see all the way into Mexico !)

Posted on Jun 3, 2011, 9:57:02 PM PDT
This is a great forum because I love to travel and I love hearing about others' trips. My last big adventure was sailing across the South Pacific, which you can read about in
Right Now Is Perfect: A Romance, an Adventure, the Unexpected Thereafter. It takes you along on a 36 foot sloop, through the most beautiful and isolated islands on earth. Start your vacation off, or take a vicarious vacation.
5 stars--12 reviews

Posted on Jun 30, 2011, 7:03:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2011, 6:37:56 AM PDT
M. Lisney says:
Shamelessly plugging my download via Kindle of An American Odyssey which is the story of a road trip I undertook, humour, factual and general observations are all included.
Crossed the USA on Hogs from Washington DC to LA and then Vegas, but went the wrong way with the sun in our faces!
Written by a real person and not a celebrity who has all the trappings and is not living in the real world.
An American Odyssey

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 2:42:34 AM PDT
KnightKnight says:
Broken Aegean

'Marvellous things happen to one in Greece - marvellous good things which can happen to one nowhere else on earth' Henry Miller

Things don't always go according to plan.....

Posted on Aug 7, 2011, 3:09:39 PM PDT
Except for travels around the US, I came to travel in my mid-thirties but have been able to get to 30 countries on five continents in the past five years. Taking a bit of a break as I've recently gotten married, but am planning a lengthy China (and possibly Thailand and Burma) trip next year.

My exploits and photos (with no advertising) can be found here: http://www.jgtravels.net

Posted on Sep 2, 2011, 2:57:34 PM PDT
John Sliz says:
One of the best vacations I ever took was a 16 day roam around Europe. It was my first time there and it changed the way the thought so much that I wrote it down. A humble copy of it is on kindle, `It Happened Here'.

Another trip was visiting The Rock. My wife and walked up Gilbrator one hot summer's day and we are still married. That is mostly because they had beer at the top. ; )

Posted on Oct 19, 2011, 4:30:50 PM PDT
I have a couple of packing boxes of travel journals for trips to Mexico, Greece, Italy, Brasil, Central America and some other places and am using a blog to force myself to make something out of them worth reading. No advice on cheap travel or cool places to drink, but I try to make up for it with guerrillas, smugglers, lost tombs and hissing reptiles.
http://ElsewhereandElsewhen.blogspot.com

Posted on Nov 28, 2011, 9:44:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 10, 2011, 4:00:05 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 29, 2012, 7:03:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012, 7:17:44 AM PST
I have traveled to over 60 countries and continue to try and add to that number each year. I lived overseas in Japan, Sicily and Germany for many years and really feel that living in a country gives you a very different perspective than just a short visit. Everyone always asks which of the three countries I lived in did I enjoy most and its an impossible question to answer as the cultures are all so different. I finally ended up purchasing an apartment in a small village in Germany on the Neckar River and now live there several months each year. My wife just published a book about purchasing the apartment in Germany and the area, the people, the history and the food in this region. Its called Discovering Germany: The Treasures of Beer, Castles, Food and Friends. You might enjoy reading it.Discovering Germany: The Treasures of Beer, Castles, Food and Friends

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 8:35:29 AM PST
D. Craig says:
I highly recommend Slovenia in Europe. Alittle out of the way but fantastic The Mountains are beautiful the hiking extraordinary. Go to Lake Bled while here

Posted on Jan 30, 2012, 1:45:48 PM PST
Check out my book "Hypertravel: 100 Countries in 2 Years," now available on Amazon. It's a combination guide/narrative, though written in narrative format. Stay tuned for the remix version formatted as a guide.

Hardie Karges

http://hyper-travel.blogspot.com/
www.hypertravel.biz

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012, 5:22:20 AM PST
I just read Brothers Don't Travel . A book about the African Experience within Modern Day Israel.

Brothers Don't Travel: Short Stories of Israel

Posted on Feb 16, 2012, 2:03:56 AM PST
Resnar says:
South America (Brazil-my favorite) and southeast Asian countries. Fascinating cultures that are very different from the western world. The book "A Different Shade of Travel(Home and Abroad) was a great book talking about these places. The author is Joseph Brazer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Travel forum (254 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
slow drivers.... get out of the passing lane!!!! 173 Jan 1, 2017
Receive a Free Cabin Upgrade Worth Up To £2,400 Per Couple On a Luxury Gems of the Danube River Cruise Prices now starting from just £2,645pp 0 Sep 30, 2016
Save £1,500 per couple On a Luxury Dutch Sights & Belgian Delights River Cruise prices now starting from just £1,595pp 0 Sep 29, 2016
Save £1,500 per couple on a Luxury Gems of the Danube River Cruise Prices now starting from just £1,895pp 0 Sep 29, 2016
International Living Magazine 23 Sep 22, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,200 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Sensations of Southern France 0 Sep 13, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,400 per couple on a Legends of the Moselle, Rhine and Main River Cruise 0 Sep 13, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £800 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Danube Delights River Cruise 0 Sep 13, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,000 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Danube Delights Cruise 0 Jul 28, 2016
Save £1,000 per person On a Luxury Treasures of the Rhine River Cruise Prices now starting from just £1,395pp 0 Jul 28, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,000 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Splendours of Europe River Cruise 0 Jul 12, 2016
Save up to £1,525 Per Person On A Luxury Rhine Highlights River Cruise Prices now starting from just £1,495pp 0 Jul 12, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Travel forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers