Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Travel forum

Do You Read Travel Blogs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2010, 6:57:39 PM PDT
There are quite a few travel blogs available on the Kindle, that talk about Hawaii, Italy, England, as well as the US. If you're planning a trip to a certain location, do you check out what blogs have to say about it, or do you do any research at all?

BP
En Garde: Seduction (Erotica By Bravo)
My blogs
Erotica By Bravo
The Star Trek Report

Posted on Sep 10, 2010, 3:44:28 PM PDT
raindrops says:
Better yet is to check out www.travbuddy.com. Type in your destination and get not only travel blogs from dozens of people, but also pictures and reviews of attractions, hotels, and restaurants in that location from those same people.

Posted on Sep 11, 2010, 7:50:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2012, 8:22:52 AM PDT
As a food writer specializing in holiday travel destinations I can assure you that blogs make a great source of inspiration. Understand that people say the darnest things in a blog. Rarely are they lukewarm. The authors either love or hate something - often at the same time! I enoy reading it all but look for trends before investing my money checking out a place. Note that bloggers are like a canary in a coal mine. They'll hit on something new or report a change in the wind faster than any single source. When you chronical something as large as the Hawaii dining scene you need that kind of back-up.

Big Island Of Hawaii Budget Restaurants And Value Dining With Hilo And The Kona Coast (Hawaii Restaurant Guide Series)

Kauai Budget Restaurants And Value Dining With Princeville And Poipu Beach (Hawaii Restaurant Guide Series)

Maui Budget Restaurants And Value Dining With Lanai And Molokai (Hawaii Restaurant Guide Series)

Oahu Budget Restaurants And Value Dining With Honolulu And Waikiki (Hawaii Restaurant Guide Series)

Posted on Sep 12, 2010, 8:33:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012, 10:44:28 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 17, 2010, 7:47:07 AM PDT
Conner Gorry says:
Interesting insight Cleo. Have you ever been to Havana?
www.hereishavana.wordpress.com

Posted on Sep 19, 2010, 11:33:56 AM PDT
RPH says:
Hawaii Vacation Blog Here's a Hawaiian blog that inspires adventure.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011, 9:47:12 AM PDT
TRAVELOCITY HAS A GLITCH AND DOESN'T ALWAYS REQUEST YOUR SEATS.
We have had the opportunity to travel to Turks and Caicos last December as well as Puerto Rico this past August. Both trips we booked through travel.yahoo.com which is actually powered by Travelocity now. The trip to Turks and Caicos we show up at the airport and our itinerary shows we have the seats we selected however when we check in, we don't have the seats at all and we (my husband and I and our two children) are all separated. We tried to get seats together but of course they weren't available. This happened on all legs. We booked again going to Puerto Rico and I remembered the day before how our seats weren't booked properly so I called the airlines and sure enough the first leg of our flight had NO seats. And once again, none were available except individual seats, all middle seats. US Airways said our only option was to purchase choice seats at $29 each and although we complained to Travelocity they made no accomodations for their error. BUYER BEWARE WHEN BOOKING ANY FLIGHTS WITH YAHOO TRAVEL OR TRAVELOCITY.....

Posted on Oct 19, 2011, 2:21:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2011, 6:10:18 PM PDT
I like the idea of a travel blog, but there are a lot out there that aren't very readable:

"Paul Theroux, probably the best-known travel writer working today, is a famous grouch and he does not like travel blogs. He told an interviewer in last May's Atlantic -- who had suggested there might be a certain bloggish quality about his recent book -- that he loathes travel blogs. He finds them hasty, chatty and particular. 'Blogs look to me illiterate . . ., like someone babbling. To me, writing is a considered act . . . something which is a great labor of thought and consideration. A blog doesn't seem to have any literary merit at all.' Not surprisingly, he does not write a blog.

"In all fairness, one must admit the man has something there, plain-spoken as he may present it. And I know it can be answered that a blog isn't literature: it's blogging. But in which case one needs to have some reason that anyone else would want to read it. If you have just found a lost city or been raised up as a god by an undiscovered tribe, then the raw data feed could be interesting, but for most of us we need some art to make our more quotidian adventures of interest to others.

"It takes effort to make something worth reading. It is not enough just to have taken the same train."

That was -- immodestly -- from my own blog, which has for the past few months been trying to write neither hasty, chatty nor babblingly about my time in Mexico. http://ElsewhereandElsewhen.blogspot.com

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 2:39:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 19, 2011, 2:51:48 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Travel forum (254 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
slow drivers.... get out of the passing lane!!!! 173 Jan 1, 2017
Receive a Free Cabin Upgrade Worth Up To £2,400 Per Couple On a Luxury Gems of the Danube River Cruise Prices now starting from just £2,645pp 0 Sep 30, 2016
Save £1,500 per couple On a Luxury Dutch Sights & Belgian Delights River Cruise prices now starting from just £1,595pp 0 Sep 29, 2016
Save £1,500 per couple on a Luxury Gems of the Danube River Cruise Prices now starting from just £1,895pp 0 Sep 29, 2016
International Living Magazine 23 Sep 22, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,200 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Sensations of Southern France 0 Sep 13, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,400 per couple on a Legends of the Moselle, Rhine and Main River Cruise 0 Sep 13, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £800 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Danube Delights River Cruise 0 Sep 13, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,000 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Danube Delights Cruise 0 Jul 28, 2016
Save £1,000 per person On a Luxury Treasures of the Rhine River Cruise Prices now starting from just £1,395pp 0 Jul 28, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,000 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Splendours of Europe River Cruise 0 Jul 12, 2016
Save up to £1,525 Per Person On A Luxury Rhine Highlights River Cruise Prices now starting from just £1,495pp 0 Jul 12, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Travel forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Aug 21, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers