Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2014, 3:10:39 PM PDT
Teddy says:
WH,
I use to VCR everything I watched, so I could zap through the commercials. Next I added DVR to my Satellite programing. I miss the 14 day "Menu" on the pay TV. Now I have less than 12 hours, and not all station, have a guide. With My Channel Master DVR, at least I'm able to record Judge Judy on a daily basis.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2014, 2:30:12 PM PDT
Teddy says:
Mr. Too,

I agree!!! Currently, I've been watching DVD's on the TV series "Lost", and have just finished season #2. This is the type of show, I would like to watch with a good friend, so we can have some good laughs, while discussing the ridiculous flaws. Strange after a catastrophic plane crash and gathering the remaining baggage, how their wardrobe is so flattering. I should think the women would have un-plucked eyebrows, hairy legs and armpits.
(don't have a lot of viewing choices , because with only an antenna, and living in an area surrounded by mountains, reception isn't all that great.) Eventually I'll subscribe to a streaming company, like Netflicks. They are each about $10 a month.

Posted on Oct 7, 2014, 11:59:06 AM PDT
"It depends" -- A lot depends upon your tastes when in comes to shows.

Television was relatively new in the 1950s and was coming in from live performances and the movie era of the time. Who knew that Moses had two names (watch the DeMille Ten Commandments sometime and when Moses returns to Egypt, he is "Oh, Moses, Moses." Ugh. That's also overacting, something that was common for the time in "epic" movies (and a lot of others). Movies were largely little more than expensively-staged productions and it took actors like Steve McQueen to add the low-key dimension of acting, but even then, it was inconsistant. Television followed this pattern and even in the 1980s with Miami Vice, Remington Steele, and other shows of the era, overacting was common. We didn't notice.

Today's drama shows are so much better in terms of performances that there is no comparison, in my mind.

That said, there is a problem with today's shows in terms of "taste" and that's where "it depends" comes into play. If you don't mind the major players cavorting around in bedrooms without consideration of H-R rules against interplay between people who are not married to each other, then _some_ of today's shows are sooo much better (i.e., Castle, for instance). The writing and complexity is outstanding.

And that said, there are shows where decorum is maintained, such as the excellent Sherlock series from the BBC. The writing, cinematography, and virtually everything else about the series is really theater quality, even to the point of being better in terms of every aspect of the show than the majority of theatrical films. The studios should take a clue from that television series.

Comedies are mixed, just as they always are. What we don't have are politically unacceptable shows like The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, which were works of genius in terms of political statement. Sure, we have the pundants and their shows, but those are _not_ entertainment. They are trash talking the opposition, often with no accountability for misrepresentation. Watching the original uncensored Smothers shows in an eye opener. They were not so much political in terms of trash-talking the opposition (indeed, they did _none_ of that), but they laid open the problems of the day (the 1960s) in a way that has brought back memories of both the good and the bad of the time.

Today's comedies are often a slap in the face toward one group or another. Unlike Welcome Back, Kotter, which demonstrated the comic genius of Gabe Kaplan, today's shows are very poor by comparison. All In The Family cut new ground in terms of looking at ourselves. And laughing at ourselves.

So, for me, it depends, largely on the show and largely on my own tastes. Some of today's shows are so much better that there is no comparison. The writing and acting and FX are superior to anything that has been done in past decades. But when it comes to drama, aside from overacting, and story quality, some of the old shows, even going back to the 1950s, were great.

What is really fun is to watch some of the old comedy sketches from that era and realized the inuendo that the comics managed to get past the censors. For the kids, it flew over their heads, but for the adults, it added to the fun. Today, everything is laid out in graphic detail and that is, in my opinion, a major cause for concern.

Posted on Oct 7, 2014, 11:13:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2014, 11:15:30 AM PDT
Is second both of you Teddy & Michael D. Heintz! If you've read any of my earlier posts you know I haven't had Pay-TV for quite some time. Since this is October I've broken out some of my "spooky" TV Shows and Movie DVDs to watch. Titles include The Twilight Zone (all three versions (yes, the original walks all over the other two, but the newer versions are both fun to watch)), along with The Outer Limits (Original), Thriller, Ghost Story/Circle of Fear, Night Gallery, The Addam's Family, The Munsters, Kraft Suspense Theatre and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (I wish SOMEBODY would PLEASE release the latter two on DVD, the ones I have were both purchased from ioffer.com and sell.com). I also break out my "Spooky" Movies such as Casper, the Friendly Ghost, Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Poltergeist and a host of others.

PS Watching all three versions of The Twilight Zone shows how "Adflation" (AKA "Commercial Creep") has affected TV Shows. The Episodes of the Origional last 25-26 Minutes in duration, the 19805 version has episodes lasting 22-23 minutes in duration while the 2002 version's Episodes are 20-21 minutes long. This is the main reason I watch my programming via Home Video instead of paying a provider.

Posted on Oct 7, 2014, 8:55:31 AM PDT
No comparison! Older shows had great writers! Nowadays it's pretty lame. A few exceptions are Everybody Loves Raymond, Golden Girls, The Nanny, Roseanne, Will & Grace, Hot In Cleveland, Married With Children, That 70's Show. These make me laugh out loud! Older shows that rule are: Taxi, MTM, All in the Family, Leave It To Beaver, Sandford & Son, Maude, Bewitched, Wild, Wild West, 6 Mil. $ Man, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Get Smart, Soap, The Munster's!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2014, 7:27:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2014, 7:28:22 AM PDT
Teddy says:
#1,

I no longer enjoy sports. Football seems to be a bunch of guys with Baby's Mama's, who are on steroids, that bring out their aggressive side.
I do miss much of the programming on Satellite/Cable pay TV, and the ease of access, one remote instead of four. I am borrowing ($2 ) DVD's from the library.
Once I subscribe to streaming programs such as Netflix and Hulu, viewing variety should be better. I want to learn what is available and how to access the programs first. I'm learning little by little. I use the TV remote to turn on the TV and then Use HDMI 1 for the Blu-ray player or HDMI 2 for the Channel Master DVR. Netgear is the streaming box, unfortunately the Tech Support people barely speak English, remote is complicated , with a keyboard on one side.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2014, 6:06:28 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hey Teddy,

Does your antenna (I'm assuming that the answer is yes) provide you with the same satisfaction and channel selection that DirecTV did? Or are you receiving greater satisfaction and more of a channel selection? Wow,4 remotes? Is it possible to get a universal remote to cover everything? Yes,I guess many non-sports fans would be cancelling their cable subscription or not subscribing at all...but one big reason why I need cable is so that I can keep up with my WWE programing and PPVS as well as my NBA games. The 2014/2015 NBA season will be starting in 3 weeks.

I have Time Warner Cable,and I can cancel my subscription anytime I want,with no cancellation fee...but I don't see that happening.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2014, 4:32:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2014, 4:34:19 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
Oh... man how much I love Paige....I could look at her all day, yes A.J. Lee is hot....but Paige is hotter!!!!.....if Paige's career ever gets sidelined with a injury I would love to see her pose for "femjoy.com" she would be a perfect candidate for that sweet website...it is headquatered in her country in Europe.....wishful thinking I know...

Posted on Sep 27, 2014, 8:17:57 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
I kicked Cox to the curb back in 2008. I still get letters in the mail from them every two weeks begging me to come back. If they had any common sense they would have got the hint by now. I'm not interested in their over priced crappy service. It was the high prices and all the reality garbage that made me cancel them in the first place.

ESPN is the main reason pay TV prices keep going up. They keep buying up rights to sporting events that were on free over the air TV and paying some ungodly amount for them and sending the cost right down to the subscribers. They are getting billions of dollars each year from subscribers that don't even watch their channel but have no choice but to pay for it because ESPN in in the basic lineup. They aren't being regulated like they should.

Posted on Sep 27, 2014, 8:06:04 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
US Marshalls is the sequel to The Fugitive. In US Marshalls The Fugitive that Tommy Lee Jones is chasing is Wesley Snipes. It focuses on both a good bit. It is action packed and the DVD is very cheap here at Amazon.

I also remember growing up with "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" on Saturday nights. I'm now enjoying The Love Boat on MeTV. MeTV just started showing Chips this month. I'm so glad it is back on TV. Its one of my favorite shows. Yes Lynda Carter is HOT!

The WWE continues to be very good. This year I've got my 72 year old mother into it and she watches Raw and Smackdown with me. I go to my mom's house to watch the WWE every Monday and Friday.

I'm still kicking butt on my Xbox 360. This year I've played the first 5 Assassin's Creed games and I'm getting Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag for Christmas. Now I'm playing NCAA Football 12 and Grand Theft Auto 4. I need to get back to WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 and finish up season mode. I'm playing as John Cena and I'm the WWE Champion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014, 6:58:59 PM PDT
Teddy says:
Jay,

I've dumped DirecTV and gone to an antenna, Netgear (for streaming, but haven't subscribed to anything yet) and Channel Master for DVR (no monthly fee). Hooked up to that is a Blu-ray player, so I have 4 remotes.
I've heard on the news, that many non-sports fans are opting out of the cable and satellite companies. DirecTV threatened me with a $250 early cancellation fee, then changed their tune, and have been begging be back.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014, 6:20:53 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Thanks for the "US Marshall" facts William. Yes,it does seem similar to "The Fugitive"...so I just may add this one to my movie collection. "The Fugitive" is named after Harrison Ford who was the fugitive in the movie that's why the movie focuses a lot on him...whereas US Marshall I guess is named after Tommy Lee Jones who is a US Marshall in the movie. Does "US MArshall" focus more on Tommy Lee Jones or the fugitive he is pursuing?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014, 6:13:07 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Yes that is true JP...that is when the premium channels come in handy. I have many of the premium channels <HBO,Showtime,Cinemax,etc> which are basically commercial free,and while surfing these channels I always run into a good movie...I also have The NBA Channel which is commercial free and a lot of times I may run into an old "HardWood Classics" Basketball Game or I catch a more modern game or I may catch up on the latest NBA news or highlights or I may catch some past events,interviews,news,or highlights. I make the most of my cable tv and I don't let commercials stop me from enjoying it. Yes,a lot of people make use of DVRs b/c they are so busy and they don't always have time to watch their favorite shows. Personally,I don't have a DVR,but as busy as I am,I always find a way to watch what I really need to see.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014, 5:59:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2014, 1:58:52 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Once again I'm happy for you my friend that you have your cable back. I know that you watch Monday Night Raw,but do you watch Friday Night Smackdown as well? I'm glad that you are enjoying Raw. Since you mention 2010 here is a WWE fun fact...2010 is when both Bret Hart & Shawn Michaels had their last match...they both had their last match at WrestleMania XXVI <Bret Hart fought Vince McMahon and Bret got his revenge from the infamous "Montreal Screwjob" back at The 1997 Survivor Series PPV & Shawn Michaels fought The Undertaker in a "Career vs Streak Match"...Shawn Michaels lost so he had to retire>. Yes Triple H & Stephanie have brought back "The Attitude Era" to a certain degree...it is not full fledge Attitude like it was in the Stone Cold/Rock/DX days but it is close.

Both of these groups,The Shield & Evolution have broke up,but the feud was fun while it lasted...and I also enjoyed the short-lived Shield vs Wyatt family feud...their match at the Elimination Chamber PPV last February was an all out war! If you didn't see it then you need to watch it! Yes it was great to see The Ultimate Warrior at The Hall Of Fame Ceremony and on Raw right before he passed...yes if you listen closely to some of the things he was saying you can tell that he knew his time was up...but I don't think his family knew <both his wife and his 2 young daughters were present at the Hall Of Fame Ceremony. And in his honor The WWE has released a new Ultimate Warrior DVD & T-Shirt.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014, 5:30:59 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Thank you very much Bitter...and they are well deserved...you know sometimes with love if we look for it too hard we may never find it but while going on with our daily lives when we least expect it love comes our way...so their is always a chance and their is always hope,so don't give up. If it's meant to be then it will happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014, 11:46:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2014, 1:20:56 PM PDT
Sorry about that!. US Marshalls is just as good as The Fugitive. As the story folds Sam Girard (Tommy Lee Jones) once again finds out the fugitive he's pursuing is also trying to solve the case in order to exonerate himself from the crime he's accused of. The plane crash scene involved the riverside town of Bay City, Illinois. The "Roy Willy's" Bar-B-Que restaurant is in reality a Grocery Store.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014, 9:51:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2014, 10:20:09 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I'm glad that you're still enjoying MeTV and hopefully you will get back Cozi TV...those 2 channels go 2gether and they compliment one another well. I remember growing up with "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" on Saturday nights. I'm glad that you're not letting those "idiot decision makers" keep you from watching your favorite programming. I hope that you have received maximum enjoyment from Netflix...a few of my friends have that. I first saw Tom Selleck in a S/1 episode of "Charlie's Angels"<"Target: Angels">b4 he got "Magnum P.I." And the car that Magnum drove was one of the hot television vehicles of that time along with the "A-Team" van and "The General Lee" <"Dukes Of Hazzard"> and K.I.T.T. <"Knight Rider"> and Colt Ceivers Ford pickup truck <"The Fall Guy"> among others. "Star Trek" has got 2B the one old classic tv show with so many different variations of it...I grew up with the original "Star Trek".

I too am enjoying Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown as well as The PPVs. Brock Lesnar has defeated John Cena for The WWE World Heavyweight Championship at "Summerslam" and John Cena defeated Brock Lesnar via disqualification at their highly anticipated rematch at "Night Of Champions" last week due to interference from "Mr Money In The Bank" Seth Rollins. Brock Lesnar has retained his Championship and I believe that John Cena has another movie coming out. Daniel Bryan has a serious injury and he will be out for quite some time. Triple H and Stephanie see absolutely nothing wrong with what they have done...according to them it is "Best For Business". You have to remember that Triple H is from "The Attitude Era" so nothing is too graphic or too extreme or off limits to him. Daniel Bryan is not from "The Attitude Era" but he experienced it first hand. It is hard to watch our beloved Bella Twins feuding with one another but it is the Nikki/Brie feud and the A.J.Lee/Page feud over The Divas Championship that is keeping the divas division hot.

I don't have "US Marshalls" and I have never seen it but I do have "The Fugitive" as well as "Double Jeapordy" <starring Harrison Ford and Ashley Judd>. "The Fugitive" and "Double Jeapordy" are 2 great suspense thrillers...Harrison ford has been making great action movies ever since the original "Star Wars". It was great to see Harrison Ford back in action in this past summer's Action/Adventure blockbuster "The Expendables 3". Tommy Lee Jones is great in "The Fugitive" and "Double Jeapordy". I have all 3 seasons of "Wonder Woman" on DVD and I watch them regurarly and I never grow tired of them. Lynda Carter/Wonder Woman was my "first love". Wonder Woman was the first woman on television that I had a crush on at that time. It is great to have all 3 seasons of her show on DVD...it does take me back to my childhood. I hope that you are having loads of fun and are kicking butt on your Xbox! I hope that you had a wonderful summer as did I!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2014, 6:59:58 AM PDT
Joaniepony says:
Jay,

The problem with the commercials, they all seem to be on at the same time, so you end up "commercial surfing". I DRV everything I watch. The commercials are the ones footing the bill for many of the shows, so I'm sure my "DVR recording" days will soon come to an end.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 10:46:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014, 10:49:50 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
Jay...your back!!......since I got my cable back I have actually gotten into watching wrestling again on Monday nights, it seems "Raw" has gotten good again, when I stopped watching in 2010 it was boring me, but not now, I haven't been disappointed in it, although Vince McMahon will always be the master of character & storyline creations, Stephanie & Triple H seem to be using his playbook, the Evolution-vs-The Sheild angle is turning out to be a great feud....reminds me of the old days....so sad to see the Warrior gone one day after he made an appearance on "Raw"...I can't help but think he knew his time was up, some of the things he said was worrisome.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 8:38:13 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
I'm still enjoying MeTV but last month Cozi TV got took off in my area and they are now showing foreign news on it. The person that made that decision is an idiot. The two main shows I watched on Cozi was Magnum PI and Fantasy Island. But I'm going to be watching Magnum PI soon. My friend sent me two coupons for four months of free Netflix streaming and seasons 2-6 of Magnum PI is available. I'm also going to stream Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

I still watch Raw and Smackdown each week and the PPV events. Its sad that Daniel Bryant is injured. The Triple H and Stephanie should be ashamed off themselves for putting him through the crap they did.

I just ordered US Marshalls on DVD. I have The Fugitive on DVD and need to watch it again. Tommy Lee Jones is great in those movies. I've been watching Wonder Woman with Lynda Carter on MeTV. I've also been playing on the Xbox 360 a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 12:49:34 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Yes William I agree,commercials do suck...but my thing is,just because the commercial are there that doesn't mean that you have to watch them...when I'm watching a current tv program and a commercial comes on,I just channel surf,that way I get to see what else in on,I get to see what's coming up,and I avoid the commercials...channel surfing is fun and sometimes it leads to me watching 2 shows at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 12:42:28 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Thanx 4 your list Pulpman...you've got a good combo of old and new shows...do you have any of the classic tv channels that feature the old classic shows? Do you have any of them on DVD? How often do you get to watch the newer shows? Will you buy any of them when they are released onto DVD? Do you have a VCR/DVR so that you can record your favorite shows?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 8:06:39 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hey what's up girl? It's good 2 s@@ you here! I hope that you continue to enjoy all episodes of "The Blacklist". Will you be joining Michael in buying "The Blacklist" on DVD when it is released?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 8:04:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014, 12:13:46 PM PDT
Your words are kind Jay~

I consult my crystal ball and my stars* daily~~~ and what reflects back is `murky`! Right now *I see no great Love* in my life~~~ to rival that witch I had with him- *sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 7:59:52 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Congrats on getting your cable back Michael! I'm glad that you found a new show that you enjoy...you are probably like a little kid with a new toy now that you've got your cable back...so it is worth it because you've discovered something new that you enjoy...hopefully "The Blacklist" will be released on DVD soon so that you can purchase it. As for me,it's still the same old story as far as tv shows are concerned...I'm still waiting for S/2 of "The Fall Guy" 2B released.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 89 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
~*~* The Hollywood Hot Tub: Resurrection *~*~ 1138 7 hours ago
Supergirl 625 8 hours ago
The Orville 8 1 day ago
What TV Commercials do you L*O*V*E*??? 970 1 day ago
Carol Burnett's "Eunice" sketches 26 2 days ago
What TV Commercials do you Hate? 465 3 days ago
Favourite TV themes? 39 4 days ago
Kathryn Morris's Face 18 5 days ago
The Flash 170 7 days ago
scariest tv episode 68 14 days ago
Can't remember the name of a tv show 13 15 days ago
Downton Abbey 783 20 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2211
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers