Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 5:53:05 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
William:

re:They Just don't make em like they used to! You got that right!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 5:58:03 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
George:

The 90's certainly had it's fair share of great shows...after that,in my opinion,tv just fell off. Not entirely however,there are still some good shows on television today,just not as many as there were in the past. The shows you listed...do you have any of them on dvd?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 6:30:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011, 7:40:59 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
M:

Great Post! I do have Basic Cable,and I don't put too much stock into having a lot of channels(even though I do enjoy channel surfing),I'm pretty much content with what I have.
As long as I get to see the classics on Tv Land,My WWE Wrestling,My Basketball Games,and The Discovery Channel(I enjoy the "whodunit" shows like "The New Detectives".."The FBI Files"..and more)i'm good.

A channel that I have and also that I enjoy a lot and that is very good is "The Hub".It to shows the 1960's Batman everyday,as well as great old classic shows and cartoons such as Happy Days,Laverne and Shirley,The Original Transformers,G.I.Joe,and more! I just may start recording the 1966 Batman onto VHS if it is not soon released.

Thanks my friend for your suggestion,thanks for sharing. I'm glad that you get all of those channels for free,and in HD!? That's what's up! I will go to www.tvfool.com and type in my info to see what additional channels I can get. Maybe there is a channel somewhere out there that shows The Six Million Dollar Man...then I can start recording it onto VHS if it is not soon released. At least S/1 and S/2 of The Bionic Woman gives us a lil' tast of TSMDM.

Very wise decision to "cut the cord"!. The money you save can most definitely be used to build an Ultimate Classic Collection of all your favorite Shows..Movies..And Toons!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 6:38:01 PM PDT
I attribute "The Great Decline of TV" as I like to call it to another of things, these include:

The Court-Ordered repeal of the National Association of Broadcasters "Television Code" in the 1980s, which removed the limits of how many Commercials could be aired during a show. Infomercials replaced vintage Movies and TV Series, and "Commercial Creep" began(Although only a couple of minutes were added at first).

The Introduction or Prescription Drug Commercials in the late 1990s. At first, these were mainly aches and pains, along with anti-depressants and Cardiovascular Medications. Then in 2004 three new Mediacations made their debut during the 2004 Superbowl, which dealt with sexual problems. More commercials dealing with other "Bodily Functions debuted during the 2005 Superbowl.

The Advent of "Unscripted" Television Shows in the late 1990s, including Game Shows (Who want's to be a Millionaire) and "Reality Shows" (Survivor) along with expanded News Shows. Naturally to make room for these kinds of shows, older "Scripted" TV Shows were taken off the air.

from 2000 to 2006 I watched helplessly as the number of Commercials more than DOUBLED in Number, and "Unscripted" Programming spread like come Malignancy from Hades. Finally I decided enough was enough, and I stopped watching both Broadcast and Cable TV, and began purchasing Programming on DVDs. I scour the Spectrum looking for Vintage TV, these include B&M Stores such as Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart, On-Line Retailers such as Amazon, Deep Discount and Rightstuf, "Trading Sites" such as E-Bay, ioffer and sell.com, and on weekends I'll canvas my town, looking for TV Shows and Movies people are selling at Garage Sales. Now I have enough Shows to last me the remainder of my life. With the exception of watching a Major Game or News Event, I no longer have any need for Broadcast or Pay-TV, they have become what the Brits say, "Redundant"!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 6:43:25 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
M:

I absolutely LOVE your 80's tv collection! I see you are much into Action/Adventure just like me! Your collection is slammin'! Only S/1 of The Fall Guy is available right now,I to am waiting for the rest to be released.

re:They need to release these ASAP. AMEN!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 6:45:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011, 6:48:15 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
WOW Stevign! Great List of shows! Very Impressive! Thanks 4 sharing! Do u have any of these shows on dvd? I used to have the premium channels,but I cancelled them,the money I am saving from those channels I use to further build my collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:12:25 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Rita:

I can see you but you can't see me! I remember that as a little kid! Is that where that line came from?

You have a very impressive collection Rita! I also have Looney Tunes as part of my collection,but not as many volumes as you. I have some Tom and Jerry as well. Droopy Dogg and Huckleberry Hound are 2 very funny cartoon characters. As a matter of fact,I will post them on my Funniest Tv Character thread. I love Foghorn Leghorn! And especially his interactions with the lil' chicken hawk!

re:Pepe is classic. You got that right! I love that guy! He's my idol! What are u waitin 4!? Go and get that Lucy collection girl!
And when you do,you can share with us some of your favorite episodes,scenes,classic lines,etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:17:52 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
GR8 Job Rita!

B'Cuz of that...Here's A Lil' Gift 4YA:

Pepe LePew:Scent Of A Romeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8JlXsTuP6U

N'Joy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:25:18 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
re:You know when a show affects your everyday language that it made an impression. So true! Especially when it's a show from so long ago!

I loved Get Smart as well! It was hilarious! I also like The Get Smart Movie...starring Steve Carell and "The Rock"! It's a funny and action packed movie!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:26:15 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Mel Blanc iz a genius!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:28:19 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I like that Tv Land shows Gunsmoke and Bonanza back to back. I try to catch them when I can.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:30:21 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
U Gotta Love Both The Show And The Movie!

Posted on Oct 4, 2011, 7:41:58 PM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Isn't Penelope cute? I just think that they should have released an entire disc of Pepe cartoons in one of the collections like they did Speedy Gonzales. I must chime in about my two favorite Gunsmoke shows, (although I have many favorites) They were about this farmer (wonderful actor Harry Morgan from MASH) who sends his three sons to go steal some wives. They kidnap 3 saloon girls who worked for Hannah at the Long Branch. (This was after Amanda Blake had left) It was kind of a take on 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' and it was hilarious! Anyone remember that one? Then they did a follow up show about how the three couples got married. And I loved the way Festus and Doc would argue. It was worth watching just for that. Another release that I would love for them to finally come up with would be Cimmaron Strip and Lancer. I am into the westerns. One more gripe about Fox and what they did with "The Big Valley." They released only HALF of the second season on dvd. Ok, I get they are cancelling them, but in the MIDDLE of a season?? That made a lot of fans mad. I was definately more into Gunsmoke than Bonanza, but my husband likes Bonanza the best. We have had many play arguements about how he thinks The Barkleys were so rich and snooty. Excuse me, Ben Cartwright owned half of Nevada- they were not exactly poor and unpretentious. I loved Barbara Stanwyck as Victoria Barkley, and I used to ride my pony around and around the yard where I grew up pretending I was Audra Barkley. Who wouldn't want to grow up and look like Linda Evans? Ha!

Posted on Oct 4, 2011, 7:53:23 PM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Tec 9 One of my all time favorite Lucy moments was when she was trying to sell all that frozen meat at the butcher shop, and she went with Ethel in there with the meat and the scale hidden in a baby carriage. She started sidlling up to the customers and would whisper. "Psst . . . are you tired of high prices? Would you like to find a bargain?" Then she would lick her finger and slap her hands together and say, "TELL YA WHAT I'M GONNA DO!" Then she would have Ethel weigh out the meat and sell the lady her steaks for cheaper than the butcher! Until he ran her off. Oh, man that was hilarious. It too has become a private joke with me and my girlfriends when we have had garage sales. We slap our hands and do the Lucy "TELL YA WHAT I'M GONNA DO! I'M GONNA MAKE YA A DEAL!"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:53:29 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "WOW Stevign! Great List of shows! Very Impressive! Thanks 4 sharing!"

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Hobbies_and_Entertainment/Theater/Man_bows.gif

re: "Do u have any of these shows on dvd?"

No.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:53:59 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I hear ya William! I to hate so many commercials and reality shows! It's a shame that our old classic favs had to be cut in order to make room for this junk!

re:Now I have enough Shows to last me the remainder of my life. That's what's up! I like that! You must one he]] of a collection! WOW! I see you really go all-out to get your favs and add to your collection. Keep up the good work! And thanx 4 sharing these various sites with the rest of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 7:59:10 PM PDT
stevign says:
I liked "Have Gun - Will Travel" a lot. Paladin (Richard Boone) could kick someone's ass just by looking at 'em.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 8:26:21 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
If you're referring to Penelope Pitstop...yes she is cute. I love that cartoon..."The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop". I love the way "the mob" is always saving her from various perils...those 7 guys crack me up!
"The Big Valley"...is that the show that starred Lee Majors? Since you are into westerns,do you have any Clint Eastwood favs?

To release only half of season of a show on dvd is totally retarded,and it absolutely sux! I know that would outrage the masses!

Yes,Linda Evans was beautiful! I remember her from "Dynasty",another fav that I grew up with! Also Heather Locklear as Sammy Joe,a hot,spoiled lil' rich brat...I loved her!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 8:39:42 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Rita:

I remember that episode! Talk about classic tv at it's finest! It doesn't get any better than that! Lucy had so many great episodes! Like the one when her and Ethel took jobs in the chocolate factory,the one when Lucy was stomping grapes,the one where she was baking bread and it kept growing,the one when Lucy bought a side of beef and got locked in the freezer,and the one when they had moved to the country and was raising little chickens,and they all got loose in the house...OMG THERE ARE SO MANY MORE! U GOTTA LOVE IT! You CANNOT talk about I Love Lucy without talking about The Honeymooners...these are probably the 2 greatest sitcoms ever!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 8:43:26 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I think I may like that guy as well. He was THAT MUCH of a bad ass?
I wanna hear more about that show.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 9:06:48 PM PDT
stevign says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u0VtRUMf1U&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun%E2%80%93Will_Travel

[Wiki]
It was Richard Boone's second television series, Have Gun - Will Travel, which made him a national star with his role as Paladin. The show was first offered to Randolph Scott, who turned it down but gave the script to Boone while they were making the film Ten Wanted Men. The show ran from 1957 to 1963, with Boone receiving two more Emmy nominations, in 1959 and 1960.

He starred in three movies with John Wayne: The Alamo (as Sam Houston), Big Jake, and The Shootist.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011, 9:49:56 PM PDT
George says:
Tec

Yes I have the complete series of The Pretender, Renegade and the 1st and 2nd season of Early Edition waiting on the 3rd season to be released, I don't know what the hold up is!

Posted on Oct 5, 2011, 4:01:40 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Re: I will go to www.tvfool.com and type in my info to see what additional channels I can get.

Classic TV channels like MeTV, This TV, The Retro Television Network, and Antenna TV are free over the air channels on Broadcast television that are available in parts of the country. I have MeTV and This TV in my area. These might or might not be on cable systems around the country. They make a great addition to your lineup.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011, 4:06:51 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
I have these classic cartoons on DVD.

The Complete Goofy
The Chronological Donald vol. 3 and 4
Tom & Jerry spotlight collections vol. 1, 2, and 3
Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 2
Woody Woodpecker and his friends vol. 1 and 2
George of the Jungle from 1967 with Super Chicken and Tom Slick

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011, 5:55:03 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
"Was Gunsmoke the longest running show in tv history?"

I think it was as far as TV dramas are concerned. It ran for 20 years. The longest running sitcom I know of was "Cheers" (11 seasons). But there are other types of shows that ran longer. I think "Meet the Press" has been running since TV was invented.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
~*~* The Hollywood Hot Tub: Resurrection *~*~ 1148 15 hours ago
The Flash 171 21 hours ago
Supergirl 625 3 days ago
The Orville 8 3 days ago
What TV Commercials do you L*O*V*E*??? 970 4 days ago
Carol Burnett's "Eunice" sketches 26 5 days ago
What TV Commercials do you Hate? 465 6 days ago
Favourite TV themes? 39 7 days ago
Kathryn Morris's Face 18 8 days ago
scariest tv episode 68 17 days ago
Can't remember the name of a tv show 13 18 days ago
Downton Abbey 783 23 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2211
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers