Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Vacuum forum

Best Vacuum for Bare Floors, Pet Hair and Allergies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2010 6:29:34 PM PDT
Rocklighting says:
I know I am asking for alot from one vacuum, but we have hard wood floors in our house with the occasional throw rug. With a cat and dog that shed constantly and a daughter with asthma and allergies, using a broom and mop alone just doesn't cut it. I have been toying with the idea of a dyson, but they are so expensive. Any suggestions? Are Dyson owners happy with their models? Any other manufacturers you would suggest?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2010 6:45:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2010 6:48:34 AM PDT
Lisa says:
I had the same problem with hardwood floors and pet hair. Every vacuum I tried blew more hair and dirt around than it picked up. Finally, I bought the Hoover WindTunnel Canister Vacuum, Electronic Bagless, S3765-040 and my problems were solved!

I take it around the house and can clean everything - carpeted bedrooms, vinyl bathroom floors, hardwood kitchen floors, throw rugs, door mats. With the dusting brush I can clean the air conditioning intake vent and bathroom fan vents without using a step stool. The rotating brush attachment does the best job of anything I've ever used to clean pet hair off of furniture.

I like to use the floor brush for most of the hard surfaces in my house. However, when I get to the area rug in our living room and throw rugs in the kitchen, I switch to the carpet brush. With a push of a button, I can turn off the rotating brush and easily vacuum the hard surfaces near the area rugs without having to switch attachments.

Probably the best thing of all, you won't spend a ton of money on this vacuum. At under $250, you really can't go wrong, and your house will be much cleaner with a lot less effort!

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 6:43:01 PM PST
nj housewife says:
My Mexican tile flooring has made it difficult to find a vac that will get down into the deep recesses between tiles. Any suggestions? I've just been mopping, mopping, mopping for months.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 8:53:41 PM PST
I have a five-year old Dyson Animal ball upright vacuum and have mixed feelings about it. It has tremendous suction but it is so incredibly heavy (21 lbs) and cumbersome that I dread using it.

Perhaps the newer models are lighter. If not, I would avoid a Dyson unless your vacuuming area is on one level and/or you don't mind lugging around a really heavy piece of equipment.

Alas, I'm still in search of a vacuum that strikes a balance between portability and good cleaning ability.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2011 1:16:52 PM PST
MEddy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:46:23 AM PST
sammismom says:
This is my review of a Panasonic Model MC-UG729. I have had this for several months now and have been withholding my review to see if things got better. They did not. This unit is heavy, it tips over at the slightest touch. The barefloor pick up is not great unless you use the wands and the attachments.
It is hard to convert between bare floor and carpet selection. It is extremely hot..you have to turn off the heat in the room when using..can hardly wait for summer! I guess they wanted to play hide and seek with the on/off switch, as it is in an inconvenient place!. Today was the final straw however..I am dragging this monster around the living room..I look down there is this plastic thing on the floor..turns out it is half of the wand holder..broken off from the attachment section! Wonderful. This is suppose to be the top of the line Panasonic..pity the fool that bought the bottom of the line!!

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 12:34:03 PM PDT
M says:
I love love love my Dyson, bought my first one in 2004, just replaced it from HEAVY use. Prior to the Dyson I went through a vacuum a year. They are pricey but worth every penny. I didn't have any issue with weight of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2014 7:18:24 AM PST
Brandie T. says:
I also have Mexican tile floor , did you find something that works well because I haven't. I was also told all you can use is water to clean floors is that true?

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 10:54:25 AM PST
Pishi says:
I have a Dyson Animal vacuum and have used it for 9 years. Worked well on my carpets in my old house, but not worth anything for my new house with hardwood and tile floors. I am looking to buy an inexpensive canister. I will keep the Dyson in case I Get area rugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2015 10:26:24 AM PST
I am buying my second Dyson b/c I love them! My family has the same health conditions of asthma & allergies, and we have a dog and cat, we live in the "allergy capital" of America, Knoxville, TN. Dysons are great. The one I am reviewing and considering buying has a 5 year warranty. The bag-less technology is easy to use and I love not having to buy messy bags.

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 4:56:52 PM PST
Renee K. says:
Anyone know the best vacuum to clean Mexican floors? I'm tired of ordering canisters and returning them because they either scratch the floor or can't pick up the dirt very well?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2015 4:58:32 PM PST
Renee K. says:
Have you found a vacuum that works yet? I have the same problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2015 5:11:51 PM PST
sammismom says:
Not really I just keep using it....it is good on carpets..I only have one room though

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2015 5:16:26 PM PST
sammismom says:
I do not know.
Dont even know what Mexican floor is??? Sorry

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2015 12:42:37 PM PST
Brandie T. says:
No I haven't. Basically a broom ..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2015 12:43:27 PM PST
Brandie T. says:
no I haven't . I am using a broom.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2015 3:58:59 PM PDT
I have the same tile with the same problem. Did you find something doing the trick?

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 6:40:12 PM PDT
C. D. Goff says:
I have several floors with Mexican tile. I have better luck with a Dirt Devil Stick Broom. Mine is older and is a bagged version with a triangular head. It is light weight. My second choice is a Hoover Wind Tunnel Self-Propelled Upright that is self-propelled. It has a hard floor setting and is quite effective also. Since it is self-propelled the weight is not usually an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2015 8:22:55 PM PST
Boots says:
I had Mexican Saltillo tiles in my last house- the thing that works best to clean them is vinegar diluted with water.

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:43:23 PM PST
C. D. Goff says:
I have several floors with Mexican tile and some throw rugs. Until recently I had carpet on three bedrooms, which I replaced with vinyl. I also have three dogs, so lots of dog hair and tracked in dirt. For small pickups I have a corded Dirt Devil and it works well for a small price. I have a Hoover Wind Tunnel self-propelled that I can switch from hard floors to carpet. This is my third one and they are much less expensive than Dyson. Because it is self-propelled the weight is not an issue. I still use it on my throw rugs on the carpet setting and all my tile & vinyl on the hard setting. It goes a good job on the grout lines. It also will go under the edge of my kitchen cabinets and it has a hose with extensions for hard to reach spots such as under the beds or behind heavy furniture. For accidental spills and light cleaning I use a spray bottle with cleaner approved for the vinyl and a Swiffer with a dusting pad. I use wet Swiffers for the tile. For deeper cleaning on both the Mexican tile and vinyl I use a Eureka steam mop. Steam really does a good job on all the floors. All of these items have been purchased from Amazon over a period of time. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2015 5:00:00 AM PST
amy j stacey says:
get rid of the cat! terrible for allergic kids!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Vacuum forum (85 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Vacuum forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions