Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Graphics vs Aesthetic

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012, 2:50:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 3:18:25 PM PST
Since I think Extra Credits is so interesting, I thought the topic of this would be a cool discussion.

So what's more important to you? Better graphics, or a better aesthetic. Both?

To me, both matter, but graphics should simply serve aesthetics. Wow, I've been watching too much Extra Credits these days.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 2:55:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 2:55:52 PM PST
new Tron says:
Aesthetic, no doubt. I really don't care about graphical resolution. To me, what makes a game look good is the art design. I think Okami looks better than Battlefield 3 running on a high end PC.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 2:56:19 PM PST
Aesthetic, by a mile. I don't care if a game looks like garbage if it works for what it's going for.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 2:56:52 PM PST
FOGE says:
Aesthetics. Bioshock was just sheer beauty.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 2:56:58 PM PST
Aesthetics by far. See okami, wind waker, shadow of the colossus and Valkyrie chronicles for details. Style simply makes atmosphere, graphics only enhances. Just my 2 cents. Great thread idea, thanks for the post. :)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 3:04:34 PM PST
DVvM says:
Aesthetics, and it's not even close.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 3:05:55 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
What everyone else said.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 3:06:29 PM PST
What he said.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 3:13:09 PM PST
Wraith says:
Aesthetic of course. A game could have the most gorgeous graphics ever but if it lacks an interesting design implementation for those graphics than it's really nothing special..

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 3:31:38 PM PST
K Archer says:
Aesthetics. I really don't care at all about the graphics as long as it looks pretty. And people have already listed several great games with "poor" graphics but are just beautiful

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 4:00:47 PM PST
Yes, this is one of the few EC episodes I have seen, but I totally agree with the points he makes.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 4:25:00 PM PST
Ham Salad says:
Like someone said here, Okami is the perfect example. Games like this with fantastic aesthetics stand the test of time so much better than games who rely strictly on realism.

I mean Okami started off as a PS2 game, but it still looks beautiful because the aesthetics were so fantastic.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 4:26:50 PM PST
Aesthetics. They're the reason a lot of older titles are still fun.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 4:33:22 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
As long as it doesn't use the color brown for half it's textures I'm good.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 5:06:47 PM PST
A customer says:
The latter. Of all the things, all the factors that make great games great, graphics is on the lowest rung possible.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 6:01:31 PM PST
Benpachi says:
Aesthetics, Muramasa is the most beautiful game I've ever seen.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 6:40:51 PM PST
Both

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 7:04:22 PM PST
This. The game's art style, world, atmosphere etc. beats any 'gritty realism' by a long shot. Whether it's riding/walking through/around Hyrule field in OoT 3D, flying through space in Mario Galaxy or maybe it's going through the creepy hallways of a hospital in Silent Hill. I'd take a good atmospheric adventure such as Zelda than some game that shoots for realism like Uncharted.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 7:06:24 PM PST
Aesthetic is what truly gives a game its beauty (or lack thereof) and its identity (or lack thereof).

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 7:17:50 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Graphics and aesthetics do not exist in separate vaccums.

You do not lose aesthetic by going higher resolution, i'd wager the opposite holds true.

Okami HD> Okami

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 7:26:57 PM PST
"Okami HD> Okami"

Good point.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 8:09:43 PM PST
DVvM says:
It is worth noting, however, that in terms of my personal enjoyment "Graphics" are the least valuable use of man-hours and money in game development. I mean, absolutely Okami HD is superior to Okami, but Okami HD also came out six years after Okami.

So if you have a finite budget for your game, pay your concept artists, designers, writers, etc. before you pay your graphics guys. I won't mind. Never has a game been ruined because they spent too much on writing or design to the expense of graphics, but the opposite is certainly true.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 8:19:49 PM PST
K Archer says:
The thing about comparing an HD remake to its original (in terms of graphics) is the technology of the day. That also limits the effect graphics have overall, and one reason why (at least for me) graphics don't matter much (one other is that I care about so many other parts before graphics).

Games released before this gen (heck, you can even say the past few years if you want to get really nit-picky) had a limit to how graphically "sharp" or "real" a game could be. The computers weren't strong enough, and the displays weren't advanced enough (or at least not in an affordable sense). So, graphics were worse.

Aesthetics, on the other hand, are more timeless. Yeah, enhancing the graphics can make the aesthetics better, but overall they do have their own merit and beauty even in low graphical quality, and there can be aesthetics that don't get much better past a certain graphical "point". I'd bet there's also some that could look worse in higher resolutions; the "blockiness" adding to the charm.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 5:05:40 AM PST
Rami says:
Graphics do matter to me.

I rented MoH Warfigther on 360 and the game was garbage. I swear I tried to like it but it just looked awful.

A few days ago I bought the PC version and... What a difference. It's like a whole different game. The graphics are out of this world, that Frosbite 2 engine is something serious. This game being a "combat sim" requires realistic graphics to make it believable, and the PC version fully delivers just because of the amazing visuals and reduced input lag.

I'm enjoying the campaign this time and I feel that those poor scores the game got where the result of it being played on consoles.

My review:
MoH Warfighter 360: 4/10
MoH Warfighter PC: 8.5/10

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 6:00:17 AM PST
pyroguy says:
both, actually

However, ones like the "Dead Space" series are some of the most graphically impressive games that i've ever played (can't wait for "Dead Space 3")
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
GOTY Predictions so far 43 9 minutes ago
Microsoft reports strong quarterly and yearly gaming revenues proving that its platform-unifying strategy is paying off big 13 13 minutes ago
Xbox Business Is Growing Profitably, Says Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella causing a D meltdown. 7 16 minutes ago
Xbox Live ended the quarter with 53 million monthly active users, helping drive a 4% increase in gaming. 25 24 minutes ago
Why do they call it Chicken Parmesan when it's made with mostly motzarella, and not Parmesan? 6 45 minutes ago
Nintendo Switch impressions 399 2 hours ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 3940 2 hours ago
Shadow Warrior Free on Humble Store 5 3 hours ago
OT: 6 months in, Trump's presidency is an unmitigated failure of historic proportions! 33 3 hours ago
Is the original Spyro Trilogy getting the Crash Bandicoot type of remaster? 16 3 hours ago
Destiny 2 Is Native 1080p On PS4 and Checkerboard 1080p On Xbox One 5 3 hours ago
Huge Xbox losses hidden by patent royalties, Microsft lost 2 billion in the Xbox division. 6 11 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.