Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Best video games that you never played.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 148 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 6:16:09 PM PST
Ditto.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 6:16:32 PM PST
There are patches for it, but honestly, don't bother with any of them. They often screw up any way, and most of them install spyware and other garbage on your PC. I had to install it on my old one, and the result was my computer being horrendously slaughtered by a bunch of crap malware.

What you said was certainly a good reason not to shell out any cash for it. Hopefully, EA will stop being such jerks and release it again. There's certainly a demand for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 6:21:46 PM PST
Ah, is that why? EA owns the IP?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 6:28:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012, 6:30:47 PM PST
Yep. It's a shame, because I love the System Shock series. It's one of the few series that needs to be revived. I hope they don't go the BioShock route and make it more of a FPS, because System Shock is better as a RPG action game.

Honestly, if BioShock goes the more FPS route, while System Shock goes the more RPG route, then that's fine. Both series have their own unique identity, but share the same design principles. Emergent game play, choice of play style, and so forth.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012, 7:04:20 PM PST
Solid Sponge says:
I've never played Final Fantasy. I've been thinking about buying XIII-2 because it's only $20, but I'm not sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 7:33:04 PM PST
Wasn't SS2 Ken Levine's brainchild, as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 7:45:22 PM PST
Yeah, very much so. Actually, SS2 was originally not a continuation of the original game. His initial inspiration was Hearts of Darkness/Apocalypse Now in space.

Here's the original pitch for BioShock. I have to say I think it would be cool if he made this one sometime.

http://irrationalgames.com/insider/from-the-vault-may/
http://irrationalgames.com/insider/from-the-vault-june/

Posted on Nov 10, 2012, 8:28:51 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
There are so many games that I have not played or even just played a little of. I have not played many J/SRPG's in a while so no Xenoblade or Valkyria or Vesperia etc. I never played FF Tactics, FFIX, FFVIII, Chrono Cross. Okami, Shadow of the Colossus and other games.

More recent games:

Dark Souls. I want to but I am scared. Yes scared. I used to LOVE difficult games but I have become a pansy. The newer Zelda games. Ratchet and Clank games, and many others.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 8:37:49 PM PST
Anthony says:
dude, get FFT and play it right the **** now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 9:02:44 PM PST
Yeah, I've seen some articles mention the original storyline before.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 5:00:00 AM PST
Gameresq says:
FF Tactics is definitely not difficult, yet extremely fun

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:14:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:15:18 AM PST
DVvM says:
Of dukeshire's list, I would say play Okami first, and then track down FFT.

Especially since dukeshire especially mentions "newer Zelda games" and Okami is one of the best Zelda games of all time (it's just you're a wolf, and not a green dude.)

Especially if you've got a PS3 or a Vita, that HD port of Okami is absolutely gorgeous (and the game was among the most beautiful games ever made to begin with.)

The only real problem with FFT is that the localization was absolutely abysmal, which is kind of charming at times.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012, 11:18:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 12:56:27 PM PST
Solid Sponge says:
There's quite a lot of you guys saying you've never played any of the Metal Gear Solid games... You should look into playing them, great stealth mechanics and incredible story-line. Absolutely my favorite video game series. Peace Walker is the best, even if it didn't sell well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:20:26 AM PST
DVvM says:
You know, when you say "You've never experienced this thing I really like, you suck" (or some paraphrasing of that sentence) that really doesn't make me want to go out and experience whatever that is.

You should probably leave out the "without experiencing [foo] you are worthless" bit and just try to explain to people why [foo] is great.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012, 11:21:04 AM PST
Peter Faden says:
to OP: best game i NEVER played. Dont know. Havent played it yet. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:24:54 AM PST
DVvM says:
Though it's incredibly ironic for me to be refuting pedantry, I would say that the intended topic is more "list some of the most critically or popularly acclaimed games that, for whatever reason, you have never played."

So the unstated supposition is some sort of weak platonism whereby games have some sort of objective quality that is reflected (like shadows on the wall of the cave) through things like critical and popular consensus. Which is to say that we cannot certainly know which games are the best in absolute terms, we can sort of glean with an approximate accuracy which games are good without even playing them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:44:10 AM PST
Peter Faden says:
Lol. I cant say I agree with that at all. There are quite a few games out there that people rave over that I dont like whatsoever. The only truth is that people like the game they like and dont like the games they dont like. Until they play them, they will have no idea. What you are actually describing is HOPE. Hope that all the people were right. Sometimes they are, sometimes they arent.
Besides, you clearly missed or ignored the smiley face at the end of my post. Cheer up man!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 12:25:00 PM PST
Yep.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 12:27:44 PM PST
I think he knew that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 12:43:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 12:44:14 PM PST
"Though it's incredibly ironic for me to be refuting pedantry"

Holy cow! Is that a little self-deprecating humor sneaking into one of your posts, DVvM? Next thing I know you'll be cracking "I can haz polynominals?" jokes ;)

But I totally agree, I don't think we can say that all of the games we listed are quantifiably "great". In fact, some of the titles we've discussed are not championed by critics OR fans (Resistance 2 is a good example).

I think, in this case, "great" merely means that a game has entered into the collective consciousness of our VGF family. Playing Killzone 3 may not bring me to some zen level of video game bliss, but it will help me understand comparisons, arguments, etc that keep coming up amongst my fellow gamers. Skipping Darksiders II would be a shame (it's a lot of fun) but it certainly won't have the same impact to my frame of reference as not having played Skyrim. (although I suspect a certain brilliant cheapskate may not have played it yet, ha ha).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 12:48:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 12:49:29 PM PST
DVvM says:
"Holy cow! Is that a little self-deprecating humor sneaking into one of your posts, DVvM"

I do more of that than people seem to notice. ;p

I should play Darksiders II, though I should probably play Darksiders first (it's in the backlog!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 12:54:22 PM PST
Hey DV, this is slightly off topic (although it seems like a great game), but have you tried a Wii-U demo station yet? They have a Rayman Legends demo .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 12:56:40 PM PST
DVvM says:
I have not. I'm not really in a hurry to sell myself on buying a new console, so I'm not sure if I'll make a point of tracking one down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 1:01:34 PM PST
Solid Sponge says:
I edited it because I really want the people who haven't played MGS yet to experience it. But one post can't explain all the emotions one feels and the transformation from not understanding the story to eagerly awaiting the next entry. Seriously, the first one is only $10 on PSN and the newest one is only $20.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

So what can you kind folks say about Final Fantasy? I've never played it and I am on the edge of ordering it and the guide book because they're both just $20.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 1:03:01 PM PST
Good. Stay away. Stay far the hell away.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer