Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Was Darksiders 2 a disappointment?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2013, 3:33:24 PM PST
While it's a game full of many brilliant moments, it was often a chore to play. I just didn't find it nearly as engaging as the first game.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 3:35:03 PM PST
Americo says:
I like it more than the first one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 3:40:00 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than the first game, but there were definitely moments of repetition I could have done without (one thing that comes to mind are the "lantern" puzzles). I also liked the changes to the way Wrath is handled, and the amount of customization to a particular playstyle.

But those **** lanterns annoyed me to no end.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 3:43:44 PM PST
new Tron says:
Why do you feel that way, Uzi?

I ask because I've been going back and forth on whether I should give the game a try or not. I liked the first game alright, but didn't think it was anything special. I thought the combat was button-mashy and the puzzles were pale imitations of Zelda. It was mostly the story, characters, and art style that kept me playing it to the end. The second game looked like it made improvements in key areas, yet it doesn't seem that people have responded to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 3:48:30 PM PST
I found the biggest offender to be the pacing. However, I definitely recommend playing it. Just because I found it disappointing, it doesn't mean it was a game without merit. The RPG-lite stuff like the skill tree and loot added some more depth, the combat was more stylish and fast-paced, and some of the environments were downright gorgeous. Sadly, the story wasn't great throughout, the latter half of the game falls off of a cliff, and, like I said, the pacing just feels off at times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 3:55:46 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
I loved it.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 4:02:44 PM PST
DVvM says:
For THQ it certainly was.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 4:06:08 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh burn. That was an old school zinger!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 4:15:06 PM PST
Are any of the dlc's worth getting?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 4:52:44 PM PST
Joshua C says:
The armor and weapon DLC items, not really. They're all for early to mid game, and easily replaced by possessed weapons and dropped/vendor bought armor.
Deadly Despair is just an extra sprint bar for your horse.
Death Rides are a few little sidequests... a bit of xp, a bit of gold, but nothing spectacular.

The extra areas have been fun thus far, but I also have the season pass so I haven't really had to "buy" any of them. Worth playing, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 4:56:51 PM PST
I have to agree with Uzi, I really enjoyed the first one but not so much of the second one! It just felt like a chore of doing the same fetch crap over and over.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 5:33:56 PM PST
A. taylor says:
I think what you said about it being a, "chore to play," is spot on. I really want to like DS2 but every time I try to play it I get annoyed pretty quickly and end up changing games. It's a well made game but it's just too tedious for an action game.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 6:29:37 PM PST
K Archer says:
I thought 2 was great. It wasn't the same as 1 (little less Zelda-ish, IMO) but it wasn't bad at all. Wish it was a continuation of the story, rather then something happening at the same time.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 8:44:30 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013, 5:34:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 10:10:24 PM PST
quinten488 says:
Yea I liked the first one more too.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013, 4:19:12 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Darksiders 2 is a great game, albeit a little bit too long for its own good. The pacing was a little off .. but moments like the Guardian battle make up for it.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013, 4:19:58 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I got bored with it, and stopped playing pretty early on.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013, 4:36:11 AM PST
I loved DS2, I played through the entire game gladly and without much break! I only have 2 more trophies to get to get a platinum too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013, 5:21:37 AM PST
waxc3 says:
i liked it MUCH more than the first one!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013, 5:22:55 AM PST
Technosapien says:
Awesome game. I liked it more than the first game, and I loved the first game.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013, 5:47:51 AM PST
Love this game, one of my favorites from last year.

Get it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013, 8:07:20 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I'm currently playing it now. Here are my impressions.

The game is vast improvement over the first in pretty much every single way. Not that the first game was bad...it was actually one of the best games out that year. But Vigil refined it in several ways. For starters, Death doesn't move like a tank the way War did. The new additions to the Zelda-like gameplay also work pretty well, and the game world is vast and has a neat atmosphere.

However, the game has a serious issue that prevents it from being memorable and "classic". It's that the entire game was designed to be a collage of elements from better games. It's as though Vigil first sat down and said, "Let's make a Franken-game...and we'll start by listing gameplay elements that worked really well in other games!" Then, it's like they decided to hold it all together by adapting a Darksiders theme to it. The platforming is a copy/paste from Prince of Persia. The dungeon design is copy/paste from Zelda. The combat is copy/paste from God of War. The loot dropping is copy/paste from Diablo and Borderlands. Everything I do in the game makes me think of another game, and that just takes something away. At least the story is entertaining, and the music is fantastic.

But overall, I still think it's a game that I just couldn't pass up. Despite the mish-mosh of styles, I find that it's still incredibly fun to play, and it totally scratches that action-RPG itch. In the end, it's a fantastically satisfying game.

I almost wish that I'd waited and gotten it on the Wii U. As a launch title, it's a wholly above-average game and it gives the Wii U a meaty, AAA title to begin with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013, 8:11:58 AM PST
How far are you in? I thought it was a "vast improvement over the first in pretty much every single way" for about 6 hours, then it took a huge nosedive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013, 8:19:59 AM PST
I agree with GarionOrb, and that's after beating it and roaming around hunting most of the collectibles.
Over 20 hours or so, and still having fun with it. "Crafting" an awesome possessed weapon is still fun, when I'm not screwing around with the GnoMAD (You Mad?) scythes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013, 8:40:24 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I'm about 13 or 14 hours in.

What about it made it take a huge nosedive for you?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Fortnite Briefly Allowed Cross-Platform Play Between Xbox One And PS4 10 7 hours ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 4156 8 hours ago
How's everybody been? Long time no see. 14 10 hours ago
Star Wars Rogue One vs COD: Infinte Warefare 1 11 hours ago
What B movie script will Naughty Dog churn out with TLOU2? 61 12 hours ago
Happy mother's day 17 12 hours ago
I was bitten by a turtle when I was a young lad 17 12 hours ago
Amazon is withholding physical copies of games to prevent preorder discount 77 12 hours ago
OT: How to redeem Amazon store credit statement? 2 12 hours ago
PC version of Final Fantasy IX rated by PEGI for PS4 18 13 hours ago
Metroid: Samus returns impressions! 19 13 hours ago
OT: Week 2 In the NFL - Who said Zeke wasn't back? Obviously they were wrong. WHO YA GOT! 52 14 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.