Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Obama's speech last night in CT...thoughts? Opinions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 451-475 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:42:44 PM PST
Beau says:
Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. You can either deny that reality or protect yourself against it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:43:16 PM PST
Beau says:
He shot his mom. She was dead.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012, 12:44:43 PM PST
I think we need more torture machine enthusiasts in the US. So when the gun nuts screw up, torture machine enthusiasts can administer the punishment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:45:37 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I don't know man.

Does ANYONE here know somebody that owns a bulletproof vest?

If so, have you ever asked them why? Would you please?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:47:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 12:49:12 PM PST
Sorry chief but you came off as some self esteem deprived child who has a burning desire to live out some Arnold Schwarzenegger action hero movie fantasy as oppose to Foge/Strasse/Capt who legitimately think firearms are an essential part to a safe society. Trust me, you are not helping the gun advocate cause, if anything you are damaging it beyond belief. I would stop making gun owners look like raving lunatics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:48:58 PM PST
RoadKing says:
I know that but she didn't know he had a bullet proof vest and this clothing considering his mental issues prior to that day?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:49:25 PM PST
Kr155 says:
People under armed guard 24/7? thats not a free America.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:49:33 PM PST
Beau says:
Whatever you say, man.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:50:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 12:50:58 PM PST
RoadKing says:
Unfortunately they usually get off easy by offing themselves before the public can get at him. I really do wish this monster wouldn't have killed himself and we could get to the bottom of this for certain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:52:01 PM PST
Beau says:
Well, the police are all around at any given time so technically we do live under "armed guard" 24/7. But, I do see your point.

Unfortunately, this shooting isn't going to result in fewer guns on the streets or fewer gun crimes. I guarantee you a whole host of people went out and purchased guns this weekend, some maybe for the first time. It's good when citizens arm and protect themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:52:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 12:55:05 PM PST
Beau says:
I don't know what she knew. Just because a guy has camo clothing, it doesn't make him a killer so you could forgive her for not being suspicious of that can't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 12:54:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 12:56:47 PM PST
RoadKing says:
Of course it doesn't but you have a kid who lives in seclusion, very well known mental issues with this clothing and a bullet proof vest. I would like to hope myself as the parent would have investigated what that was all about. Parents are too detached. Columbine punks were experimenting making pipe bombs in the garage and the parents didn't notice this? I couldn't get away with anything growing up. If my parents didn't discover something neighbors would and wouldn't remain silent. His neighbors said they didn't even know the family. We are not communities anymore. All busy trying to make as much money as possible so our spoiled kids can have the best we can give them when all the really need more than anything is love and discipline.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:02:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 1:06:19 PM PST
Beau says:
"Parents are too detached"

I totally agree with you. Parents need to take a more active role in their children's lives. The kids from Coloumbine were also heavily into violent video games; parents need to be more mindful of what their kids are playing and not use the TV as a babysitter. It's clear that the games they were playing had an affect on them.

In addition, the kids from Columbine were social outcasts and were constantly made fun of. Bullying is a huge epidemic in schools and is not effectively addressed.

But, ultimately, the blame for this shooting lies at the feet of Lanza, who was a murderer and a coward. He chose to do what he did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:05:07 PM PST
I can agree with all of this. Who is posting this now?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:06:05 PM PST
Beau says:
Wait...Punk, we agree on something??

It's a Christmas Miracle! :-)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012, 1:07:23 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Anyone know why bulletproof vests are legal for civilians to own? I still have no clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_vest#United_States

United States law restricts possession of body armor for convicted violent felons. Many U.S. states also have penalties for possession or use of body armor by felons. In other states, such as Kentucky, possession is not prohibited, but probation or parole is denied to a person convicted of committing certain violent crimes while wearing body armor and carrying a deadly weapon. Additionally, some states outlaw the wearing of body armor while committing certain, usually violent, crimes.[citation needed]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:07:40 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
Lol, video games are not at fault for them killing people. If that was the case everyone here would be a killer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:12:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 1:16:17 PM PST
Beau says:
Actually, they were both heavily into Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, it's been well documented. I'm not placing the blame on video games, but it's clear that the video games certainly had an affect on the Columbine shooters. Their parents didn't parent, they just let them play violent video games all the time. They were kids, so the video games made an impression on them.

In fact, some their customized levels can still be found on the internet. Apparently, these are known as the "Harris Levels" named after Eric Harris, one of the shooters.

In addition, these kids were bulled constantly in school which led to them acting out as they did, but, ultimately, they made the choice to kill just like Lanza did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:14:33 PM PST
Again, why do people keep responding to this person?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:16:54 PM PST
Jaded Gamer says:
Looks like you can buy the plate inserts and vests, but there are export controls in shipping them outside the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:18:06 PM PST
I don't think that the games had an effect on the shooters, but the games they chose to play and their affect when they played them (Were they making specific threats while playing? "Take that Tommy Johnson!") might have clued the people around them into their possible actions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:22:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 1:29:22 PM PST
Beau says:
That's possible. The games may not have had an affect on them directly, but I think it certainly didn't help matters. Again, I'm not blaming the games, but there's no denying the copious amounts of grotesque violence in certain video games, as well as the glorification of a criminal life style in games like GTA. All of this can have an affect on an impressionable children.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:30:41 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I have no idea. The trolling sure isn't going down so I think it's about the end for me in this thread as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 1:33:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 1:33:56 PM PST
Beau says:
Don't know why you consider my last post in reply to your's "trolling." It was a completely honest answer in which I outright told you I didn't blame video games.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012, 1:36:03 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Now I just want to find out what is the harm in banning ballistic vests.

Bulletproof vests should be illegal to civilians. Someone come argue at me.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 6472 1 hour ago
OT: World's First Flying Car 5 2 hours ago
Ouch! Microsoft's Exclusive Xbox IP Stable Is In Rough Shape, And Has Been For Years 3 2 hours ago
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered emancipated from its Infinite Warfare shackles 13 3 hours ago
Persona 5 Impressions 505 5 hours ago
State of the Reddit: Your Alternative Home to the AVGF! 154 6 hours ago
PS4 Exclusive - What Remain's of Edith Finch - Reviews 15 6 hours ago
12 Games in 12 Months 2017 Edition 230 6 hours ago
'Overwatch' pro goes on racist tirade on stream, destroys his own career 26 7 hours ago
Target Has Quite The Mario Kart 8 Promotion 30 7 hours ago
OT: Liberalism in 2017 21 7 hours ago
Give Me One, Solid E3 Prediction! Less than 2 Months Away! 66 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.