Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Tv for gaming

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012, 11:52:19 AM PST
So between plasma and led any suggestions? Also looking at 3d models as well anyone care to input? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 11:56:37 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Plasmas have great pictures but sometimes have issues with heat, light reflection and screen burn in. Also usually pretty heavy.

LEDs are lightweight, thin, and are at the moment very expensive when compared to plasma.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 11:58:47 AM PST
WesCyde . says:
I bought a plasma earlier this year and love it, it is a bit heavier though. Picture is awesome I bought a panasonic VT50 for a pretty good price the GT and ST of that model are pretty solid too based on reviews

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 12:02:13 PM PST
I've had a plasma in the past, currently I have an LCD and its alright. I just figured with all the black friday deals going on, I know I could get and LED for cheap, just did not know if it would be worth it or not. I mainly use the tv for gaming and sports

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 12:04:06 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I think a quality LED is the best thing going right now if you can find one cheap.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 12:06:34 PM PST
So a Samsung LED would probably be pretty good?

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 12:08:13 PM PST
I've had good luck with LG, Panasonic, and Samsung on the LCD end. Vizio is a great TV for a budget set. I love my 2 LED's, though make sure you buy external speakers since the ones in LED's usually stink.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 12:13:16 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Samsung LED's are top of the line depending on the model.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 12:16:14 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
I love my Panasonic Viera Plasma. It is both lightweight and awesome....and pretty affordable as well.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 12:16:55 PM PST
WesCyde . says:
May be top of the line but you pay for it, besides panasonics have owned them pretty good with their plasma's My samsung died a horrible death only after 5 years pissed me off so much i will not go back

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 12:55:00 PM PST
Any feedback for 3d? I know it isn't that popular but I figured in the next few years it will be

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 1:16:34 PM PST
TVs with Active 3D offer full 1080p for both eyes, but active glasses are expensive, heavier, and need replacement batteries or to be charged, if you get ones with rechargeable batteries. They do make passive 3D TVs now, the glasses are cheaper, lighter, and don't need batteries. But, they only get half the lines, so its like 1080i for each eye.

You do not need to get name brand glasses. I have bought generic 3D glasses online and they work just fine. Many even some with built in rechargeable batteries. The downside is that they may not be as light or comfortable.

How many people watch your TV? Are you planning something like 2 pairs or glasses, or 6 pairs of glasses, or 10 pairs of glasses. Are these people good with turning off their stuff, or will they leave the glasses on and drain your batteries. Do you want built in recharable batteries that charge by USB, or do you want to buy a specialized button cell battery charger? Those little button cells are expensive, you will probably want to get recharabale ones. Or maybe just get a Passive 3D TV and never worry about batteries.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 2:25:23 PM PST
Awesome thanks for the info most new TVs are active right? I guess I'll get two active and 4 passive glasses. I can use active and passive glasses at the same time right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 4:46:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012, 5:01:45 PM PST
Most are active, because passive is rather new. Also, it depends on the size. I think if you are looking for a smaller TV like 42, it may be passive, but if you are going for 50 55, probably active.

No you can't mixed them. If you get an active TV, you need active glasses, passive tv, passive glasses.

Also, passive won't look as good if your head is tilted. Do you make a habit of watching movies with a tilted head?

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 5:11:26 PM PST
i bought an lg 47in 3d led last year for 870 at dell...love the tv and no issues so far...with all the deals you can get around the same for $650-800...if you dont want 3d it could be a little less

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 5:47:35 PM PST
I'm looking at a 55 inch led 3d Samsung from best buy its like $950 but I don't see any "specs" on it such as active or passive what does lg use

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 6:38:55 PM PST
oh i have no idea...im not really into the whole 3d thing...but thats a good price for the sammy...they make good tvs

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 6:39:05 PM PST
Dark Lacky says:
Just throwing this out there, I have a migraine disorder and I cannot use the passive glasses (causes bad headaches). However I'm fine with the passive sets. Might want to give them a test drive, while I'm in the minority regarding headaches, still thought you'd want to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 6:39:43 PM PST
Dark Lacky says:
LG was one of the first to really push the passive, you may of heard of the "LG Cinema Technology"

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 6:56:20 PM PST
Yea, just didnt know if it was any good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 1:11:09 AM PST
There is a mistake in your post. It says passive twice. Please correct it so we know what you mean.

People react to 3D very differently. Before making an investment in home 3D technology, people should make sure they are comfortable with it. Myself, I can handle both passive and active fine when sober. I haven't tried either type of 3D drunk, but Nintendo passive glassless 3DS 3D is not comfortable when drunk. So that's something else to consider. If you like to game drunk or watch movies drunk, see if you can handle those in 3d while drunk. Maybe you can do passive while drunk and not active. I don't know, it's your body.

It's good that you now have the choice to do passive 3d. It took some smart people to figure out how to do passive 3d from a TV, instead of using two projectors. Someday, they will figure out how to do full 1080p passive 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 1:20:22 AM PST
Good is a relative term. Myself, I am leaning towards a cheap $500 passive 42" 3DTV or something like that. For me right now, that would be "good enough". If you want to go spend $1200 on a 60" active 3DTV, by all means, go do it. Go spend $20,000 on a quad-HDTV if you want.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
GOTY Predictions so far 43 9 minutes ago
Microsoft reports strong quarterly and yearly gaming revenues proving that its platform-unifying strategy is paying off big 13 14 minutes ago
Xbox Business Is Growing Profitably, Says Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella causing a D meltdown. 7 16 minutes ago
Xbox Live ended the quarter with 53 million monthly active users, helping drive a 4% increase in gaming. 25 24 minutes ago
Why do they call it Chicken Parmesan when it's made with mostly motzarella, and not Parmesan? 6 45 minutes ago
Nintendo Switch impressions 399 2 hours ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 3940 2 hours ago
Shadow Warrior Free on Humble Store 5 3 hours ago
OT: 6 months in, Trump's presidency is an unmitigated failure of historic proportions! 33 3 hours ago
Is the original Spyro Trilogy getting the Crash Bandicoot type of remaster? 16 3 hours ago
Destiny 2 Is Native 1080p On PS4 and Checkerboard 1080p On Xbox One 5 3 hours ago
Huge Xbox losses hidden by patent royalties, Microsft lost 2 billion in the Xbox division. 6 11 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.