Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

How Sony Won Gamescom Before It Even Started ...and why it makes Microsoft's absence so much worse.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 149 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2012, 4:58:17 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
Interesting article from IGN....

"Microsoft should be afraid of Sony. Before the PlayStation publisher's pre-Gamescom press conference this week, Sony's foreseeable software future seemed weak. The PlayStation Vita seemed only to have a handful of promising titles for the remainder of 2012 - LittleBigPlanet PS Vita, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, a Call of Duty game we knew next to nothing about, a Persona 4 remake, and a poorly timed Assassin's Creed tie-in were the PlayStation brand's best and brightest. But after displaying a strong lineup of exclusive games on both PlayStation platforms, a brilliant new business strategy, and confidence in risky game ideas, Sony's future couldn't look better than it does now.

Gamescom will be Sony's show. This is bad news for Microsoft, who didn't even bother to show up.

Sony's Cross Buy announcement undoubtedly earned it a great deal of gamer goodwill. Buying Battle Royale, the new Ratchet & Clank, and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time on PS3 scores you a free Vita copy. This is an incredible move for Sony. These are three of its most popular and promising titles, and you can play them anywhere, any time, for one price. Cross Buy puts PlayStation fans ahead of the curve, and rewards them for purchasing PS3 games they were likely to buy anyway. It looks amazing on the back of the box, it's something people will tell their friends about, and it makes a Vita worth owning for every single PlayStation fan. That's just smart marketing.

"

Cross Buy puts PlayStation fans ahead of the curve

Until Dawn, Rain, and Puppeteer all represent something astounding about Sony's initiative toward supporting innovative ideas. Following Papo & Yo, Journey, and many other clever concepts, this trio of games look unlike almost anything you've played. Each of them certainly has a niche appeal, but Sony's willing to risk a limited audience if it means putting exclusive, original games on its platforms. Add in the casual mentions of Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us during the conference, and you're looking at a large stack of Sony-only goods. Oh, and let's not forget Media Molecule's cute and creative Tear Away, either.

For the first time since I bought it, I want to play my Vita. A quirky indie game like Sound Shapes reassures me that more great stuff is on the way, and Sony really came out of the corner throwing haymakers. I want Black Ops Declassified because it looks like a true Call of Duty game. Killzone Mercenary is the Sony sequel I want most on the platform I'm aching to play.

Before I came to Gamescom, I played my Xbox more than any other platform. That changes the moment I get back to my living room. All of a sudden, the future of gaming in my life is dominated by a platform I traditionally ignored for my Xbox 360. The level of imagination and accessibility in these original, exclusive games is so much more interesting to me than another Halo game. Make no mistake: I'm thrilled about Halo 4, but it's the one and only Xbox exclusive I plan to play this fall; the only other two exclusives I can think of in the next few months are Gears of War: Judgment and Fable: The Journey - of those, I only have faith and interest in the former.

Microsoft missed a great opportunity at Gamescom to tell the world about why it should care about Xbox 360, Xbox Live, the fall update, and how it all connects to Windows 8. More importantly, maybe, just maybe, it could have given us a game worth thinking about, investing in emotionally, or getting excited to play with on Surface, Windows Phone, Windows Live, or any other gaming platform it may have on the way. I love my Xbox 360 -- I just want as much a reason to play it as I now have for my PlayStation devices.

Gamescom belongs to Sony, as does my heart. This is a brilliant sign of things to come, and it was all done before the show had even begun. "

Gotta love that closing line. I could have sworn Flores was the author.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 5:20:11 PM PDT
JWK says:
"Gamescom belongs to Sony, as does my heart."

As does your HEART? I love the PS3 more than my own wife, but that's excessive for even me...

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 5:31:19 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
I feel like free Vita copies with PS3 title purchases should've been the plan from the start. That's like Marketing 101 level stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 5:47:35 PM PDT
So what kind of business do you run or better yet own?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 5:53:11 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
I run a clinic for bitter Sonymites to vent their frustrations in a safe environment. You'd be surprised how much money it makes.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 5:56:48 PM PDT
Mclane arrives in 5...4...3...2....

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 5:57:21 PM PDT
MCCLANE HERE! Just kidding.

Dougy you never quit do ya.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 5:57:27 PM PDT
Pick 34 says:
Yup, thats a system pusher. Two games fr the price of one. I read that ea is considering it for NFS most wanted.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 6:01:24 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
Especially when you are trying to launch a new system with cross play being one of your highest touted features.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 6:03:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012, 6:09:18 PM PDT
But remember this ANDREWA! Never insult mother sony, even if you are trying to help her out. Your suttle quips and snarky comments will bring HELL upon you!

Or just the sonymites, but it is close.

EDIT - I really need to reread what I write. "you subtle" CMON! Bush league.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 6:08:27 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
Yeah I'm doing myself no favors here. I'm guessing my Xbot status is relatively unknown to Sony mites.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 6:36:38 PM PDT
John McClane says:
This would matter if the Vita had a large fan base, which it doesn't and never will.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 6:43:10 PM PDT
Aku says:
"It looks amazing on the back of the box, it's something people will tell their friends about, and it makes a Vita worth owning for every single PlayStation fan. That's just smart marketing."

Marketing, yes. Helpful in profits, no. So we now pretty much know Vita games are going to be carbon copies of the PS3 versions (hopefully without butchered content like the launch stuff was), therefore there's little incentive for stores to even stock the Vita version since the PS3's box will take up less floorspace and is the obvious choice for consumers. You might see a boost in Vita sales, you're more likely to see a larger boost in people trading in the Vita version of the game they just bought, you're guaranteed to see software sales for the Vita plummet more than they already have. The only way I can see any profit from this is to create the games to be as DLC-whorish as they can.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 6:59:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012, 6:59:33 PM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
There are only 3 games that have this option for now and one is a PSN game anyway (R&C). Sony is just supporting the console on the go aspect of the Vita.

Personally I am sticking with my 29.99 Vita copy of Sly and getting R&C to play on the Vita.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 7:00:05 PM PDT
all the things I say about indoctrination and Sonymites is true

"Gamescom belongs to Sony, as does my heart"

Now FBI the Church of Sonymites looks to me like a dangerous cult go raid them

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 7:05:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012, 9:26:51 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Microsoft has no reason to be afraid of Sony. MS is making money hand over foot on the Xbox platform, while Sony is in dire straights financially as a company. Sure, Sony may have garnered a bunch of gamer goodwill, and may sell a bunch more Playstations as a result, but that's not what MS cares about.

It's not like anything that happens now will change positioning in the PSQuatro vs. NeXtbox battle. If MS's next console delivers a better user experience, for a lower price, and with games more attractive to consumers compared to the competition, then it doesn't matter what they do (or don't do) now. I think the author just misses the point that MS has mostly given up on supporting the 360: they're thinking about the next gen.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 9:29:23 PM PDT
Jojo Mojo says:
Microsoft afraid of Sony? Not at all. But let's be real, Sony is doing stuff right. We're getting games and cross buy sounds awesome. Will this mean that Microsoft loses sales? Nah. Too many people in the US are mainly excited about the next Call of Duty, Madden, and Halo (Halo being the one that actually tries). I am very excited about Playstation right now and hope that this will cause Microsoft to start giving us more creative and exciting games as well.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 9:37:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012, 9:40:56 PM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
Sony is terrible at making money these days. The nice thing is that if Sony ever did fall out of the console race PC gamers will still have plenty of options for a variety of games if MS doesn't fill the void. The 360 is a nice enough gamebox but it doesn't offer me a better user experience or even a better game experience now that I've bought all the old exclusive RPGs that I couldn't get on the PS3. It's funny to think that MS puts in little to no effort and we just love that gamebox here in America.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 11:00:04 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
I rather enjoyed this article from Stephen Totilo on a similar subject. I usually like his writing, though.

http://kotaku.com/5934771/three-cheers-for-the-losers-in-the-video-game-wars-theyre-the-best

"Three Cheers for the Losers in the Video Game Wars. They're the Best.

Ask a Sega Dreamcast owner. Ask a Nintendo GameCube owner. They'll tell you something that is true: it's a pleasure to be the owner of a game console that's in last place.

It also kind of stinks, because your console gets the fewest games and your friends mock you all the time. But the fact is that nothing brings out the best in gaming companies than when those companies are getting their asses kicked.

Today, from Germany, we saw exactly that.

Sony, the former kings of gaming, two generations running, have taken a beating for the last several years. First it was the upstart Wii that smacked them around when the smacking was supposed to happen the other way around. Then the Xbox 360 ripped past the Wii here in America and it kept PS3 as the last-place console. This year's been really ugly for Sony. They've had trouble winning any sort of battles in the gaming market share wars. It's not like the PlayStation Portable ever caught the Nintendo DS anywhere outside of MonsterHunterNation, but the PSP's successor, the Vita, has been labelled as DOA since it arrived.

If you'd asked me, I'd have told you that, because of that, this was the year to get on board with Sony. Their backs were against the wall. Maybe you skipped GameCube and didn't know this was how it worked. Too bad. You missed some crazy experiments like the Game-Boy-GameCube-connected four-player Zelda game and a pair of first-person Metroids, plus one of the most beautiful games ever made. Last place performances produce radical ideas like the Nintendo Wii; having your powerful console get flattened by the Wii produces exciting technology like the Kinect.

So here's what's happening at Sony, what we saw proof of in Germany. Sony takes a drubbing about as well as Rocky Balboa ever did and is fighting back. Sony isn't folding. Sony isn't rushing to do the easy thing and just fall in line, hope for the best and play it safe.

Nah, Sony sees its Vita struggling, so they announce today that if you buy any of their games on PS3 that are also on Vita, they'll give you the Vita version for free (and, since the games supported by the Cross Buy system are pretty much the same on Vita and PS3 and will probably use cloud-saves, we'll really get a portable-PS3-effect out of this).

That Vita seems to be fading? They'll put a Killzone on there. And get a good-looking Assassin's Creed on there. And a Call of Duty (um... warning: made by the people who made a really bad Vita FPS) and, oh, look, the smart people who made LittleBigPlanet will make their next game not for the PS3 but for Vita too. Bonus fact: that new game looks terrific.

This is a company that sees Microsoft pulling in droves of subscribers with Xbox Live and creates a competing service called PlayStation Plus which at first doesn't seem that hot but now guarantees access to an expanding library of free games every month. You get what you pay for, and these free games must be the worst, right? Wrong. In September, for example, European PS Plus subscribers will get free access to ... Red Dead Redemption for as long as they remain subscribers. (That's not confirmed for the U.S. yet, where we'll have to settle for an expanding line-up of freebies that include LittleBigPlanet 2, Infamous 2, Outland, Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX, Saints Row 2, The Walking Dead and more.)

This fall, the steamrolling Xbox 360 will have some cool games, sure. And they will next year, too. But how can any gamer's heart not be warmed by a Sony that sees the threat of defeat around the corner and answers it with a game about a little boy who you can only see when he walks in the rain? Kinect is the hot thing, so Sony starts making nutty things like magical books and says, hey, our Wii-Remote-like Move thing we've got? We'll make a send-up to schlocky teen-horror movies with the Move, thank you very much. They'll make a beautiful new sidescroller while they're at it.

Sure, Sony is the company of the many, many God of War games. (Let's add multiplayer to the new one!). Sure, The Last Of Us, as lovely as it seems, would only be seen as an artsy risk in a medium that may as well define innovation as a shooting game that doesn't feature a battle with helicopter. But Sony... wow. I mean, have you seen the kind of games they've been putting out lately?

PlayStation 2 may have been a cool console to have when it was the market leader. But Sony as the market-lagger? They're just wonderful. It's almost as if we gamers would all benefit from Sony staying in last place, huh? Although, all things being equal, Nintendo and Microsoft might benefit from a kick in the pants, too."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012, 11:12:36 PM PDT
Pick 34 says:
That's a really good article. I think the industry would benefit more if their was a different leader each gen. Competition baby.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012, 12:32:21 AM PDT
Nicos says:
What is "the curve?" And if Sony is ahead of it because.... um, they give you mulitple copies of a game and they released a poorly rated exclusive... where are MS and Nintendo in relation to this curve?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012, 12:54:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2012, 12:59:16 AM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
Great article and I agree with it completely. Turns out last gen the Gamecube was by far my favorite and this gen it's the PS3. Sony and Nintendo are far more thoughtful to gamers than MS has been this gen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012, 1:03:50 AM PDT
Wonderfully written article and it does a fine job of articulating why competition across multiple consoles is a good thing for gamers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012, 1:08:48 AM PDT
Blasphemy. There can be only one. One console to rule them all....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012, 1:16:53 AM PDT
I do not believe there is any threat to the N-Gage.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 2429 5 minutes ago
OT: What's the difference between 'The Left' tearing down Confederate statutes and ISIS tearing down Historical statutes? 12 15 minutes ago
No more Prime Discount (for up to 2 weeks after release)? 10 15 minutes ago
The List Of Single Player Games You Over Killed 20 25 minutes ago
A List Of Xbox One X Enhanced Games 20 54 minutes ago
I've been playing the NBA Live 18 Demo &... 37 1 hour ago
OT: FLashlights 6 1 hour ago
How 'Spider-Man,' the PlayStation 4 and Electronics Have Pushed Sony's Stock to Nine-Year Highs 16 1 hour ago
Dark Souls 3 DLC 36 1 hour ago
Battlegrounds Xbox One news: PlayerUnknown fans get update following Xbox One X reveal 1 1 hour ago
Trump supporters, try to be honest and let us know how excited this weekend's murder made you? 67 1 hour ago
Weekly & Weekend Gaming: 8/14-8/20 11 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  149
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.