Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

3 reasons the Vita will crush the handheld competition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2012, 1:38:09 AM PST
http://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2012/11/23/3-reasons-sonys-ps-vita-will-crush-handheld-competitors/

A Google search on the PS Vita yields hundreds of stories about Sony's dual-stick, powerhouse handheld's "disappointing sales." It's too expensive, lacks a decent library of games and worst of all, it's irrelevant since millions of consumers play games for free on mobile phones and tablets. Truth be told, I was thisclose to selling my PS Vita for the same reasons. But now it appears Sony is ready to lay a serious smack down on competitors (and whiny gamers) thanks to three brilliant moves pulled off this week.

Price drop. High price might be the biggest bone of contention for many who have considered buying the PS Vita but have been holding off, waiting for an "inevitable" price drop. Between the device, proprietary memory card, games and accessories, the PS Vita ain't cheap, that's for sure. But now that attractive bundles are available (Call of Duty: Black Ops and Assassins Creed: Liberation for $199 on Black Friday!) it's time to pull the trigger.

PlayStation Plus. The recent Firmware 2.0 update now means the generous PlayStation Plus program of the PS3 extends to the PS Vita. After the firmware update, I received my "Instant Game Collection" I was too cheap to buy the first time around: Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, wipEout 2048 and Jet Set Radio. Nice.

Games. A handheld is only as good as the games it plays and the PS Vita is now firing on all cylinders. In addition to the aforementioned, there's Persona 4 Golden, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Jetpack Joyride, Ragnarok Odyssey, a new Ratchet and Clank in January and Killzone: Mercenary to look forward to. Let's not forget about PlayStation One classics, hundreds of "Minis" and independent games like Retro City Rampage.

Clearly, the PS Vita loves you. Now it's time to love it back.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 3:39:13 AM PST
Prankster says:
I still don't see the Vita crushing any opponents but Sony does seem like it is now on the right track and could at least be competitive in the market. The games seem to be flowing in well, playstation plus is definitely an attractive option as much as people try to deny it and the price drop is what many consumers were waiting for initially. (I know this was a holiday deal and not an actual price drop but it was still a good move bundling it up with games and in a sense giving more for less)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 7:13:27 AM PST
Too little, too late. They had a golden opportunity to make a big splash leading up to the launch, but they wasted their time focusing on other useless products(Wonderbook, anyone?) and let the hype die down with no really big games coming out and allowing the system to define itself as a contender. Now, we have the 3DS XL with a growing catalog and some highly anticipated games releasing within the next few quarters. The system sales everyday for the same price as many of the BF Vita's without the fear of needing to purchase expensive memory.

I really hope that I'm wrong but I don't really see the Vita surpassing the PSP, much less the Nintendo competitor.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 7:23:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 7:24:58 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Anyone who thinks the Vita is going to crush the competition is completely and utterly insane. Sony ****ed up the launch big time (shocking I know) and there are still currently no must have games that are going to make people who aren't diehard Sony fanboys run out and buy it. I imagine it won't even sell as much as the PSP has.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 7:26:45 AM PST
FOGE says:
Ha knew this would be Jason. Wasn't sure thered be an article backing him up though. I agree with Prankster. Def going to be an improvement after Sony dropping price for BF and PS+ clearly drew people to the system, myself included. "Crush"? I doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 7:30:41 AM PST
Someone isn't taking everything into consideration here and totally overlooked the Vita's biggest hurdle; the 3DS.

Price drops and the Black Friday deals are great but when you've got the 3DS sitting on the shelf right by it with a smaller price tag the Vita still looks expensive. Not only this but the memory card situation isn't going away anytime soon which definitely pushes the price up even more.

I love the fact that Playstation Plus is on the Vita now and this actually has me wanting to sign up now. However this also makes the memory issue stand out even more since a 4GB card and an 8GB card won't last you long when downloading digital copies of games. Yes the bundles come with a memory card now but if you want to take full advantage of PS+ then you'll need a bigger memory card and there's no two ways around that.

I also had to laugh when he mentioned Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified. I wouldn't suggest that bundle to someone you're trying to sell the Vita too.

Nintendo has a death grip on the handheld market right now. 3DS sales have been through the roof and the upcoming titles are looking great. This leads into Sony's next problem with the Vita; third party support, something the 3DS isn't feeling. Low sales means third party developers are less likely to jump on board than the 3DS or even the mobile market. Some are getting in but at the moment I don't think it is enough.

The Vita will come into its own and it will thrive once it truly takes off, this much I'm certain of. I don't see this ship righting itself in the next few months though because the software isn't there and that is why people buy these things. I definitely have high hopes for the Vita next year and I'm guessing E3 is going to hold a ton of great things for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 7:42:08 AM PST
I knew you posted this before I came into the thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 7:57:03 AM PST
Shhhhhh! You're diminishing the BrandVoice© ™ ®

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 7:57:31 AM PST
How about a nice cup of zipit!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 8:06:57 AM PST
How about a nice cup of nothanks?

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 8:33:16 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I just typed this from my vita that came in the mail this morning.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 9:16:59 AM PST
DVvM says:
Am I wrong if I still consider the Vita's library to be clearly deficient? I mean, the author of that article lists all those games but there aren't more than 1 or 2 I actually want to play (or can't play on something else instead.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 9:18:40 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
The library of new original games is flat out awful at the moment with seemingly nothing good (that I know of) on the horizon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 9:41:29 AM PST
Okay, maybe you don't understand that by posting this you are diminishing the BrandVoice© ™ ®

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 9:43:58 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
The Vita not having any must have games is just your personal opinion though. Mine is the exact same but for the 3DS which is why I don't plan on buying one for a very long time.

The Vita won't be "crushing" the competition any time soon but the past couple of weeks has pushed the Vita into the right direction.

PS+: PS+ has always been a fantastic value for what it offers but after this week Sony has pushed it into their handheld market as well which has pushed the value of it extremely high. $50 is a very small price to pay to have the access to so many great games each year. Just with the first set of games for it they have already added two games that I have been dying to play which are Gravity Rush and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The addition of PS+ for the Vita will surely push sales for both the Vita and PS+.

Black Friday Sales: Sure, it might not have been a permanent price drop just yet but the Black Friday deals probably was able to net Sony a great extra amount of sales. The Assassin's Creed: Liberation deal through Amazon was apparently sponsored by Sony directly which was an insanely smart move on their part. It pushed more people to buy the system than were originally planning on it just yet.

There are indeed still some big hurdles that Sony needs to push past to create a fantastic selling game system though.

Proprietary memory cards: I am a Sony fanboy but I would flat out tell their CEO that they were stupid in creating proprietary memory cards that are so expensive. I can understand proprietary memory but what the deal is up with the price tags? A 16 and 32 gigabyte memory card doesn't cost nearly that much to create. They just became greedy on that part. If they sold the cards at something like 4GB - $10, 8GB - $20, 16 - $40, 32 - $50 they would have sold a lot more systems.

Games: There are some fantastic games out there currently for the Vita unlike some people here love to spout out(*cough* donnie) but is surely not enough of them. Sony hasn't pushed 3rd party companies enough to be creating games for it which has pushed people away from the system. The one in particular that has annoyed me is Square Enix. If Sony got them to port Final Fantasy Type-0 to the Vita it would be a huge improvement and for me make the Vita a no contest to buying just for that game alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 9:57:18 AM PST
Anthony says:
no, your'e not wrong. the game library for the vita is utterly pathetic. between that, the price, and the propietary memory cards, i doubt that i will ever get a vita. whereas i know for sure that i'll get a 3DS at some point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 10:02:14 AM PST
Prankster says:
Obviously there's no right or wrong here. It's subjective because it depends on what interests someone. I don't think there's a shortage of highly rated games but I obviously am not going to be interested in all of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 10:02:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 10:04:36 AM PST
mjc0961 says:
And I had to laugh when he mentioned the AssCreed Liberation bundle, as that isn't a bundle good for someone you're trying to sell the Vita to either. Only reason to get one is the white Vita, but be sure not to play the game. It's so poorly made that it will make you think the Vita is defective if you aren't careful and try other, better games.

Also, the problem of the memory cards does still remain. $80 for the 32GB card is still insanely overpriced considering its low speed. Changing the price from 5 times what it's worth to 4 times what it's worth isn't enough because it's still 4 times more expensive than what it's worth. It should be $20 like all the other class four micro-sized memory cards, maybe Sony could get away with $30 at most. But $80? You can continue to keep your memory card, Sony.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 10:07:52 AM PST
Okay, there is a little too much dissent in this thread and you people aren't supposed to be doing that. This piece is a BrandVoice, not an editorial for constructive thought and dialogue. Let me explain what a BrandVoice is:

>>>Forbes BrandVoice™ allows marketers to connect directly with the Forbes audience by enabling them to create content - and participate in the conversation - on the Forbes digital publishing platform. Each BrandVoice™ is written, edited and produced by the marketer. More on BrandVoice™ here , or email us directly at brandvoice@forbes.com. <<<

As you can see, this is more or less a paid commercial and nobody should disagree with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 10:26:51 AM PST
DVvM says:
One time I saw a commercial that explained "There's nothing better than endless shrimp at Red Lobster."

As someone with a serious shellfish allergy, I found this to be the saddest thing I have ever heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 10:30:52 AM PST
I would rather have an allergy to shellfish than to beef. I can take or leave seafood, but if I couldn't enjoy a good steak or hamburger I would kill.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 10:31:02 AM PST
Sadder than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 10:32:50 AM PST
Aku says:
Things are dire when you have to list Jetpack Joyride as a glorious facet of your system.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 10:33:22 AM PST
"One time I saw a commercial that explained "There's nothing better than endless shrimp at Red Lobster."

As someone with a serious shellfish allergy, I found this to be the saddest thing I have ever heard."

I know exactly how you feel. My mom has shellfish allergies, so i rarely get to enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 10:34:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 10:35:14 AM PST
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI"

...Flores?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Will amazon price match Best Buy deals? 1 3 hours ago
Is Killzone the worst FPS franchise of all-time? 5 3 hours ago
Get your worms, bois! Fishing just went to a whole new level thanks to fishing planet on PS4 4 3 hours ago
Crackdown 3’s Delay Is Yet More Evidence Of The Systemic Problem Microsoft Is Facing 1 9 hours ago
Let's outlaw Naughty Dog because they make really crummy games. 2 9 hours ago
OT: Let's outlaw The United States Constitution, because it was wrote by a bunch of white, racist slave-owners! 29 9 hours ago
amazon prime gamers, check your orders!!! 4 10 hours ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 4083 12 hours ago
Weekly & Weekend Gaming: 8/14-8/20 27 14 hours ago
OT: "Predator" actor Sonny Landham dead at 76..... 0 1 day ago
Final Fantasy XIV summer DLC promo 49 1 day ago
It's happening! Alt-left site Vice Magazine advocates for a terror attack against Mt Rushmore. 14 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer