Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PSA: Monster Hunter Tri servers go down April 30

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2013, 7:54:54 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/17/monster-hunter-tri-servers-go-down-april-30/

The Monster Hunteth, and the monster taketh away. On April 30, just over three years after the game's release, the online multiplayer servers for Monster Hunter Tri on Wii will be disabled.

Capcom's hope is that the people still playing the action RPG on Wii will migrate to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U and/or 3DS, of course. That comes out March 19, giving you a safe, six-week overlap period to secure your hunting fix.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013, 9:00:53 PM PST
c--kuta says:
i have that game and never even opened it, ha.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013, 4:23:51 AM PST
Sneaky.

Close servers to force players to purchase new game. I see what you did there Capcom.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013, 4:29:38 AM PST
And Monster Hunter Tri U's servers go up!

That is a low blow though even I'll admit that. Unless there are servers in Tri U compatable with the old Tri.

And the game comes out March 26th i thought, not 19th. Though I would be happy with the 19th!

Posted on Jan 18, 2013, 7:24:24 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
For Capcom to shut down the servers so soon after the game releases probably means that the online community is severely dwindling anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013, 7:25:10 AM PST
new Tron says:
I know Rev. Otter played this game a whole lot online. I wonder how he feels about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013, 7:25:52 AM PST
JWK says:
Same. Got it on clearance at Target for about $7. I picked it up, put it in my collection and promptly forgot about it.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013, 11:48:05 AM PST
Can you get all the weapons and armors without multiplayer? I feel like that would severely limit people if it were that you couldn't get everything unless you did multiplayer... Can we host games at least?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013, 11:50:07 AM PST
FOGE says:
I am very curious about this game and looking forward to trying it out.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013, 11:51:41 AM PST
Man! This is in my backlog and I haven't even started it! I didn't plan to play online though.

Edit: I see I'm not alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 11:52:02 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
NO! Roughly half the game is only available on the Online environment.

All High Rank Quests
2 of 3 Boss Monsters
1 Roaming Monster
all event quests

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:04:53 PM PST
Athas says:
ouch, roughly half? didn't know that, tho I wasn't planning to online with it anyways. I am glad and changed my mind over the weekend and gotten the refund on the wii classic pro controller that I initially got for this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:41:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013, 12:42:49 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Yep, the way the game is divided is there is an offline mode which features a story of sorts and various quests that associate 14 Large monsters monsters and has a story ending with one special Elder Dragon Quest. There is also a free hunt mode where a combination of 3 of a subset of 6 of the large monster can appear.

With the offline mode you can create the beginning of most armor and weapon trees, but the game hides the rest of the upgrade paths until you unlock High Rank quests (same 14 monsters, but much more powerful) online and have access to the materials to complete the trees.

There are also a couple of event quests which offer special weapons and armor rewards.

There is the mid-game boss (before you can access high rank) a high rank event only version of that boss, and the Actual Endgame Boss. There is also a Giant Endgame Monster that runs around and causes you grief throughout most of the High Rank quests that has some quests open up after you finish the game. Every one of these has a weapon and armor tree as well.

So yeah... roughly half the game is online only.

Although Ultimate is coming out and it doesn't have the same segregation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:47:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013, 12:48:12 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
This is straight out of the Atlus playbook. The same one that got me to buy and play Demon's Souls

"Hey, we're shutting the server down! Better buy it and play it before it's too late!"

"Okay, looks like we can afford to keep it up until we can string you guys along again. Carry on."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:47:33 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
That controller will still work with Ultimate if you prefer non symmetrical sticks over the symmetrical ones offered by the Gamepad or the Gamepad Pro.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:48:41 PM PST
P. Iso says:
I actually started playing it again, and may buy a 3DS (making that my first portable since the old GB) to play the online 3U.

The community is about 700+ right now, not exactly large by any means.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:49:27 PM PST
P. Iso says:
No, but the single player stuff is good enough for single player.

No hosting either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:50:44 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
The 3DS version doesn't have online.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:51:25 PM PST
P. Iso says:
Eh, half is kind of stretching...

The single player tells a full story. The second half of online is basically hardmode with a couple more bosses added in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:52:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013, 12:57:59 PM PST
P. Iso says:
Everything I have seen is stating the 3DS will support the online portion, can you give me the link so I can tell my buddies this if it is true.

EDIT: ¡Online play is supported only on Wii U. This feature is not present on the 3DS version, which only has local multiplayer support.

Ugh...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:53:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013, 12:57:16 PM PST
Rev Otter says:
<<I know Rev. Otter played this game a whole lot online. I wonder how he feels about this.>>

kinda sad, like a friend moving away. =/

that said, it's been over a year since i was *hardcore* into MHT, playing several hours each day, every day.

but i've popped on a few times over the past month, and was surprised that not only are there generally still 1-2 thousand players online at any given time. a LOT more people seem to know what they're doing, too.

also i saw *lots* of HR500+ players, a higher percentage than i remember.

still leaning away from MH3U -- not sure there's enough new content to hold my attention. if it were a ground-up title, it'd be a system seller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:55:44 PM PST
Rev Otter says:
<<Can you get all the weapons and armors without multiplayer?>>

no. the bulk of gear, including the best armor and weapons, is simply unavailable in the offline game.

<<Can we host games at least?>>

unless they change something, no.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:59:12 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
From what I've heard is the 3DS version will not feature the online mode. It will have access to all the multiplayer quests and will be able to play local multiplayer with the Wii U version. You can also transfer your character(s?) back and forth between the two.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 12:59:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013, 12:59:43 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Oh, no, that sucks, but then everyone would have to buy Monster Hunter 3.. Oh, I get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 1:00:29 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Capcom being Capcom, they just translated the japanese version and never worked on a netcode.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 2652 19 seconds ago
Microsoft sells out pre-orders for new Xbox One X ‘Project Scorpio Edition’ 10 1 minute ago
Ouch! First In-Game Screenshot Xbox One X Vs PS Pro Comparision Show Extra Foliage And Crisper Picture In The PS Pro Version, Xbox One X version's Framrate Drops Significantly. 5 5 minutes ago
Yakuza Kiwami = Review Thread 8 9 minutes ago
ot: can y'all shut up for second so we can talk about Game of Thrones? 13 11 minutes ago
12 Games in 12 Months 2017 Edition 300 22 minutes ago
Weekly & Weekend Gaming: 8/21-8/27 5 30 minutes ago
microsoft did nothing but disappoint: gamescom 2017 press conference 24 30 minutes ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 4095 2 hours ago
The Day After Microsoft's Gamescom Debacle, Every Major Retailer Still Has Stock Of Xbox One X 20 2 hours ago
The Surge 11 3 hours ago
Gamescom 2017: Here's Your First Look at PS4 Console Exclusive Shenmue III 1 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Jan 17, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.