Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Fez goes Multiplatform

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2013, 8:20:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013, 8:21:02 AM PST
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/02/fez-going-multi-platform-does-this-mean-a-reversal-of-the-not-a-pc-game-claim/

Fez going multi-platform. Does this mean a reversal of the "not a PC game" claim?
Tweet
Comments 1 Phil Savage at 04:06pm January 2 2013

The charming XBLA puzzle-platformer Fez could finally be coming to PC. In a recent blog post, Polytron's founder (and currently sole member) Phil Fish outlined his plans for the new year. Top of the list: taking Fez to multiple platforms.

"FEZ will finally be ported to other platforms," Fish wrote. "Yes, I've heard you, dozens of people emailing me everyday telling me how much of an idiot I am for not porting FEZ to everything."

While platforms haven't been announced, the usual XBLA indie progression route would suggest that at the very least we'll see a Steam release. Except there's still the nagging doubt of the comments Fish made back in June in an interview with NowGamer. "Fez is a console game, not a PC game," he said.

"It's made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that's part of the medium. I get so many comments shouting at me that I'm an idiot for not making a PC version. `You'd make so much more money! Can't you see? Meatboy sold more on Steam!' Good for them. But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It's a console game on a console. End of story."

Of course that was before Fez caused controversy when a patch to fix a potentially game breaking bug proved too expensive for Polytron to upload to Microsoft's XBLA service - a cost requirement not present with Steam. And then there's the added bonus of Big Picture, which allows Steam users to comfortably play their games with a controller, on a couch, whether it's Saturday morning or not.

Despite the reticence, it would great to see Fez make an appearance. It's an absolutely gorgeous multi-planed 2D platformer with a deep vein of secrets to uncover - best played simultaneously with a group of friends, uncovering clues and sharing hints. The perfect PC game, basically.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 8:24:41 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013, 5:34:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 8:25:37 AM PST
Ah, well... balls.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 9:31:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013, 9:31:26 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
This will probably hit Steam firsties, with about 50 public middle fingers and 100 'it'll get done, when its done's along the way.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 9:32:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013, 9:32:25 AM PST
Him says:
I don't recognize your name, but your fez looks familiar.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 9:36:36 AM PST
"It's made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning."

Just ugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 9:38:39 AM PST
"But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It's a console game on a console. End of story."

If it doesn't show up in the HIB, I'll never own it otherwise. The developer is arrogant and I don't care for that.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 9:47:43 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Does Fez have catchy 8 bit tunes?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 9:51:52 AM PST
A little more sophisticated than 8-bit music but still highly reminiscent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 9:57:44 AM PST
If it does, just in case you weren't already aware, you can not only change how you split your money between developers, charity, and humble tip, but you can also specify which developers get how much of your money.

Because if this ever comes up in HB, I'm definitely not giving Fish any money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 10:00:41 AM PST
Ah, I knew about the dev/charity/tip split, but wasn't aware I could split it between developers.

Good idea! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 10:09:46 AM PST
It's not immediately obvious, but when you choose to set up a custom split, there's a relatively small blurb of text in the relevant fields that you can click to open further splitting in both the developer and the charity sections.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 10:19:36 AM PST
Subject7 says:
And Mark of the Ninja?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 10:21:58 AM PST
What about it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 10:22:57 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013, 5:34:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 2:35:35 PM PST
I would feel somewhat uncomfortable giving ALL money to charity for an HIB, but specifically choosing to not a dev money would be even worse. Regardless of what I think.of him.

This is how I would feel personally. YMMV

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 2:42:35 PM PST
I generally stick to the default payouts. In my mind I am taking his game and I feel that he deserves some compensation for that work; even if he is a complete douche.

That said, I have no problem with others deciding that he won't get their money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 2:58:40 PM PST
Yeah, same here. This is why I made it clear that this is how I feel.

You know what I'd like to see? A game that is free with microtransactions, but where you can choose to give a portion of that MT to charity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 3:21:56 PM PST
If MotN ever hits HB, I'm gonna be all over it like white on rice in the middle of a snowstorm with a glass of milk.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 4:35:45 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Is this a thread about the game Fez or a Butthurt PC gamer support thread?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 4:38:30 PM PST
It can be both.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 4:56:26 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, computers can already detect the date and time, and whether or not you have a controller attached, so we just need to figure out a way to detect whether the user is sitting on the couch (with a webcam, say) and then you can guarantee people are only playing this in the proper manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 4:57:12 PM PST
Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 5:22:02 PM PST
I'm more concerned by the fact that you to use a webcam to spy on people.

And by "concerned" I of course mean "excited."

And yeah, not a good idea. I almost never wear much clothes at home.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 5:29:17 PM PST
I'll just play a Nintendo game and not indie schlock that tries so hard to be one.

I'm sorry, this game isn't that good.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 4267 7 hours ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 4310 7 hours ago
Xbox One Is So Weak BASIC Animations Are Missing 1 7 hours ago
OT: Week 3 NFL picks 13 7 hours ago
More troubling news for Msft? Phil Spencer gets huge promotion of Xbox gaming division. 62 9 hours ago
Mountain Dew and Doritos Giving Away Xbox One X Consoles Every 60 Seconds Soon 5 16 hours ago
12 Games in 12 Months 2017 Edition 310 16 hours ago
Weekly & Weekend Gaming: 9/18-9/24 37 16 hours ago
PlayStation 4 is Winning the Console Wars and It’s Not Even Close 37 19 hours ago
List of Xbox One X Enhanced Games Grows to Over 130, Console Pre-orders Available Today 27 19 hours ago
PS Pro Has Over 183 Enhanced Games And Counting, $100.00 Cheaper, And Has Been Doing "True 4K" Gaming For Over A Year. 32 20 hours ago
First trailer for Tomb Raider movie 12 21 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  104
Initial post:  Jan 2, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.