Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: School Shooting in Connecticut

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 426-450 of 500 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:38:10 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Mass stabbings aren't all that uncommon in countries where access to firearms is limited. I've heard of them happening in Japan before, and of course there was the one in China that happened last week.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:42:38 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:43:30 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
In America.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:45:00 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
What is the frequency?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:46:38 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Attempted mass knifing:

http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/bios/story/conceal-and-carry-stabbing-salt-lake-city-smiths/NDNrL1gxeE2rsRhrWCM9dQ.cspx

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:47:39 PM PST
Meth Panther says:
Martial arts bonanza:
http://www.intermartialarts.com/blog/kata-bonanza-21-april-2012

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:50:30 PM PST
Fett986 says:
According to the CDC:

In 2009, a total of 24,518 persons died of alcohol-induced causes in the United States
In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes

In 2009 Accidental discharge of firearms.............. 554
In 2009 Assault (homicide) by discharge of firearms ..... 11,493

I really hope you're lobbying for stricter alcohol control as well, since it takes far more people away from their families than do firearms.

Cameras are a better defense? Really?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:54:38 PM PST
The slippery slope problem of stricter gun control legislation is that it doesn't necessarily lead to a safer society. Certain states with downright draconian gun control policies (Illinois for example) have some of the highest rates of gun related crime in the country (See: Chicago). And, I know it's been mentioned before, but it bears repeating. Banning guns, will just lead folks to finding more horrible ways to kill each other. For a rather horrid example, you can see the massacres between the Hutu and Tutsi tribes in Africa that were committed primarily by Machetes, a fairly common adventuring and gardening tool.

Still though, I'm all for more EFFECTIVE gun regulations not necessarily more or stricter versions of the current ones. Better background checks for ALL sales including private party and gun show sales, and more training courses beyond just private companies and schools. If you want to have a rifle, you should be qualified on it's basic functions and behaviors.

A better administrated and streamlined registry of guns, having the ATF be more properly funded and given proper authority to prevent the sale of illegal weapons and ammo, and more pro-active mental health support for EVERYONE in this country are another couple of things that would do wonders to prevent further tragedies in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 2:59:04 PM PST
Is Kenneth here?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012, 2:59:35 PM PST
Meth Panther says:
I just want to see a martial arts bonanza now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:00:17 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
Really.

You never heard of security cameras? From your talk, you act as if guns give you some godlike control of the situation. As if a clever criminal, ALSO armed with a gun obtained freely under the law, wouldn't simply get the drop on you.

Protecting yourself also means exercising caution, such as having security cameras, and dogs to protect your home.

*Shrugs*, BTW I'm for stricter alcohol as well.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012, 3:02:43 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Oh, and there was that serial butt stabber earlier this year. That was weird.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:05:31 PM PST
Fett986 says:
Where do you get that I think firearms give you "godlike control of the situation"? I simply stated the facts that alcohol kills more people than firearms annually, and that cameras are going to do nothing to defend you. Your state laws must be different than mine, because if you have a dog trained to attack intruders, it is akin to booby-trapping your home. And what if you are allergic to dogs? Or live in an apartment building where you can't have animals, or install security cameras?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:08:14 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Drunk driving isn't legal, even when it doesn't cause death, so I don't know what your point is.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012, 3:09:49 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
I like the idea that one has to search for the example of mass kniving and martial arts bonanza. I'm sure there probably are examples of mass beer bottle hitting as well(not being sarcastic, just saying there probably is an example or two)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the death toll and frequency of both examples, because in 2012 alone there were/are 16 mass shootings. One year. I don't even want to think of the last decade. http://www.thenation.com/blog/171774/fifteen-us-mass-shootings-happened-2012-84-dead#

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:16:32 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I'm curious as to what constitutes a mass shooting versus a normal shooting. Is there a set number?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:18:50 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
What if you are afraid of being shot because you simply cut someone off? Or had your music in your car up too loud for someone? Or heaven forbid, get caught "in the wrong place at the wrong time" because someone having a bad day(mentally ill or not) and decides to take it out on any one in his or her way?

And why would you train your dog to attack intruders, when it can be an early warning system(i.e. someone is on your property that should not be)?

My interpretation of your statement as "godlike control" comes from your stance that firearms seem to be the ONLY thing you can protect yourself with. I'm just saying that a good baseball bat, knive, golf club, frying pan, car, beer bottle, can do just as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:25:43 PM PST
Fett986 says:
That a legal object/substance (whether firearms or alcohol) can be used irresponsibly and cause the deaths of yourself or others in similar numbers, and yet only one is rallied against for stricter laws. And it was in response to Hadley's dismissal of other causes of death like they don't really happen, and firearms are the only ones worth rallying against, like they are the only cause of death that takes innocent lives.

Granted, in many states, stricter gun laws are needed, or the laws in place need to be enforced. That doesn't make them altogether evil, and doesn't make them the reason for any of the shootings.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:28:45 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Only one is rallied against because only one has killing as it's main purpose. But I'm not going to argue this again. Look at the previous couple pages if you want an idea of my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:33:09 PM PST
Fett986 says:
Personally, I am far more afraid of being killed by a drunk driver every time I get in a car compared to your scenarios. Any numbers on how often people get shot for cutting someone off? Or having their music too loud? The majority of people murdered, by any means, are killed by people that they know. Which means your scenarios are definitely in the minority for reasons to be murdered.

A barking dog, or even a dog trained to attack, can often be distracted by a nice bone. They aren't exactly the most reliable of protection.

When did I state that firearms are the ONLY thing you can protect yourself with? I know they aren't the only way, and have never stated that to be true. It does happen to be my preferred method of protection (though I have been known to use my car for protection on occasion, it really comes in handy when someone is breaking into your home.... And cameras.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:44:00 PM PST
Fett986 says:
Whether or not killing is the main purpose of firearms, it isn't the only way for people to be killed, and not even the most prevelant way. But not arguing it does sound like a good idea, Hadley's holier-than-thou-seeming response just rubbed me the wrong way. I see both sides of the argument, and both sides have some really good points, and I'm not opposed at all to making it a little harder to obtain firearms, just so long as law-abiding citizens can still obtain them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:51:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 4:01:38 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 4:00:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 4:03:27 PM PST
M. Hadley says:
Where I live, there is a shooting assault or death nearly every day. Drunk driving, which, while horrific, isn't NEARLY the same as shooting...unless the drunk driver is weaponized? Can you show me where the drunk driver intended to harm/kill a perceived threat or "protect themselves" in any way?

Let's bring up cancer statistics as well, or AIDs' related deaths by carriers who knew what they were doing.

I gathered the firearm thing from your knee-jerk response.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 4:05:04 PM PST
FOGE says:
If you couldn't tell that my posts about bears was satire I'm not interested in what you have to say. It wasn't even subtle

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 4:07:25 PM PST
FOGE says:
"but it bears repeating"

What did I just say about bears ;)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  500
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.