Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Monthly Nintendo Wii U sales lower than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 sales at any point in the last seven years

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2013, 10:56:43 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Hopefully they turn it around soon.

---------------------

Monthly Nintendo Wii U sales lower than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 sales at any point in the last seven years

UPDATE: Nintendo sold 66,000 Wii U consoles in February according to a Macquarie Capital analyst, 70 percent of which were $350 Deluxe Set models.

A little insight into the tech industry: The fiscal year for companies like Sony and Nintendo, as well as many of the myriad game publishers who make games for their consoles, begins in April and ends in March of the following calendar year. That's because the Japanese fiscal year adheres to the old Japanese calendar year which corresponds to that timeline. So Nintendo is technically hurtling towards the end of what should have been a banner year for it, following the recovery of the Nintendo 3DS after its abysmal start and the release of the successor to the Nintendo Wii. Nintendo's year isn't ending well, though. In fact, it's ending horribly.

The NPD Group released its report on US video game hardware and software retail sales in February and, as per usual, the research firm did not provide specific details as to how many consoles each company sold, merely their rankings. The group did provide some insight, though. Game console sales dropped 36-percent year-on-year in February. Those rough sales coupled with the apparent interest in PlayStation 4 after its reveal shows that the audience is indeed hungry for a new console, but isn't the Nintendo Wii U a new console? Even if it is, consumers continue to turn their noses up at Nintendo's expensive Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 competitor.

The NPD Group only said that Nintendo Wii U weekly sales were up around 40-percent throughout February. Based on the horrid January Wii U sales-which are estimated to be close to 57,000 consoles sold-that equates to around 64,000 Wii U skus sold in February. Even with that uptick, the Nintendo Wii U is selling worse on a monthly basis in the US than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 have ever sold over the last seven years.

Nintendo is in dire straits. The company needs some games to come out for the console to generate any consumer interest, but February saw multiple Wii U exclusives announced for other consoles. Ubisoft went as far as to cancel February's lone Wii U exclusive release, Rayman Legends, to redesign it for multiplatform release later this year. The game was, according to developer Ubisoft Montpelier, already finished when Ubisoft made the decision.

Before more developers will commit to making more games for Nintendo, it needs to drop the price of the Wii U. The $300 console with almost no onboard storage memory for games, and the $350 Deluxe Set with only slightly more, are too expensive in a market that's less and less willing to even spend $250 on comparable machines like the PS3 and Xbox 360 with enormous game libraries and attractive bundles. Ubisoft has even gone so far as to publicly call on Nintendo to drop the price. If Nintendo doesn't recognize the realities of the market, it will begin its next fiscal year worse than the last.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/monthly-nintendo-wii-u-sales-lower-than-xbox-360-and-playstation-3-sales-at-any-point-in-the-last-seven-years/#ixzz2Nj71jTF9

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 11:17:38 AM PDT
Aku says:
Pretty interesting stuff until the editorializing came up.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 11:24:01 AM PDT
Not surprising since it only has a tad of better hardware specs than an XBox 360. I believe they need to cut the price down honestly just because of that fact. I am going to eventually buy one, but I am waiting for their exclusives to come out. But until then I will not buy a system with nothing but rehashed games of last year cluttering it's library.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 11:24:11 AM PDT
saskamazon says:
I actually don't think it's priced badly, I think the lack of blockbuster software is the problem ... I bought mid Jan. for Rayman - which a few short weeks later, was cancelled ... once the big 1st party IPs drop, I think things will improve ... & doubtful Nintendo wants to reduce the price before the PS4 & Nextbox are given a price point ... but beyond Lego City, unless Wonderful 101 launches, I am unaware of anything coming to the system before fall ... they should focus on system selling software for the fall / holiday period & a massive marketing campaign.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 11:24:46 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 11:27:46 AM PDT
HorizonBrave says:
Yes, in the process why don't we scrap opinions completely too? Should work better for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 11:30:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013, 11:32:14 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
If netbook grade chiips are what will be powering the next Playstation, its totally feasible sooner than later.

Getting a flashback of the Sony Bravia with the PS2 built into the base...lol

I think due to the nature of the beast, we'll likely see Tegra/Android market make its way onto those flat panels first.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 11:38:49 AM PDT
Aku says:
Releasing an article with a line like "The company needs some games to come out for the console to generate any consumer interest" when two potentially big games are less than a week from release, that's not exactly a smart move.

And yes, these last few months have been pretty terrible, I know because I own a Wii U and got to enjoy the practically non-changing eshop selection all this time. But that'll change, just like with the 3DS. Hell, we've yet to get to E3 and we're already getting news on SMT X FE, Wind Waker HD and other crap we had no idea of at launch.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 11:43:20 AM PDT
Wind Waker HD will not be a system seller, the game will sell like crazy but I don't think people can justify paying $350 for a rehashed GameCube game. Ocarina of Time was a different story because the 3DS is really accessible for a lot of gamers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 11:44:48 AM PDT
Wind Waker HD remake

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 11:46:35 AM PDT
Gaming news sites saying that the Wii-U will suck because it will fail, meet SEGA Dreamcast.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 12:55:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013, 12:59:05 PM PDT
HorizonBrave says:
That's not a proper ''system seller'' Sailor, that's a system seller FOR YOU, and a love letter to WW fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 1:02:02 PM PDT
I'm positive that will be a system seller for Nintendrones.

I'm still wondering if I should get either the Wii-U or 3DS for my birthday, it might be 3DS because it's cheaper, but I will get a Wii-U.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 1:03:51 PM PDT
We got LEGO City and Monster Hunter coming real soon, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, and Wind Waker HD later this year. Also Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, 3D Mario, Zelda U, Mario Kart U, Smash Bros., Fire Emblem X SMT, Monolith Soft's game etc. The Wii U will be fine. It just needs time to develop or "mature" if you will. The 3DS and PS3 had some early problems but are now great systems. The Vita is finally coming out of it's rut(in Japan at least). If I remember correctly the DS and PSP started off weak too.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 1:07:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013, 1:09:47 PM PDT
People who think the Wii U is a TAD more powerful than the 360 or PS3 are crazy. We have not seen the full power of the Wii U yet and when they pour all their resources into the next Zelda it will blow any game from the 360 or PS3 out of the water. The reason the Wii U has not sold crazy is because of games. I have a Wii U and like it. Once that Pokemon game that comes out that's plays like Skylanders, the Wii U will sell like crazy. We have not seen Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Zelda , Metroid, Smash Bros. or any of their staple games yet.

Let's not forget that the PS3 was a barren wasteland for about a year and it ended up selling very well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 1:11:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013, 1:59:26 PM PDT
HorizonBrave says:
I think the concern comes from the fact that a new big leap (Sony + Microsoft) is almost here, none of those systems you mentioned ever had to face this problem, they grew with the competition, the competition didn't release monsters after them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 1:17:55 PM PDT
Well, the underpowered Wii released a year after the 360 and in the same month as the PS3. The Wii's competition was two systems that did HD and had overall better hardware. I doubt the PS4 and Nextbox will really be a problem for the U in terms of hardware.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 1:25:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 16, 2013, 1:39:37 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 2:27:08 PM PDT
Its funny, we are making such a big deal out of this. But guess what? Nintendo still made over 20,000,000 dollars just on Wii U sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 2:34:54 PM PDT
Well I can only judge by what I've seen so far and it hasn't exactly impressed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 2:51:14 PM PDT
man you dont even own a WiiU yet you seem to have a lot of good things to say about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 2:56:43 PM PDT
Because I am positive that it is actually a great console.

However, I feel that it is too early to tell if the U is a failure or not.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 2:58:11 PM PDT
R.Typ0 says:
I put my Wii U in the bathroom next to the toilet. Sometimes I pee on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 3:15:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013, 3:16:16 PM PDT
if software is greater than hardware like you say...what makes the WiiU so great? Untapped Potential?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013, 3:20:34 PM PDT
R.Typ0 says:
No matter how much you pee on it, it stays relatively clean and never smells.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Weekly Gaming: 6/26-6/29 29 3 minutes ago
Playstation Mid Year Sale 8 28 minutes ago
Weekly Hardware Chart 15th April 2017, PS4 Overtakes Switch For #1 While Xbox One S Struggles To Remain Relevant 20 31 minutes ago
12 Games in 12 Months 2017 Edition 277 36 minutes ago
Phil Spencer comments on Titanfall 2 being able to hit 6K on Xbox One X 21 19 minutes ago
Far Cry 5 Free PS4 Dynamic Theme Released on PlayStation Store 4 1 hour ago
Original Xbox Backwards Wishlist 5 4 hours ago
Microsoft Are In Danger Of Becoming The Arse hole Friend That No One Really Likes 3 4 hours ago
SNES Classic Announced 54 4 hours ago
More 180's Incoming! Where's the High Fidelity VR on Xbox One X Everyone Was Promised? 3 4 hours ago
Ghost Blade HD - Limited Physical Copy From Play-Asia 1 7 hours ago
Adddictions: What do you wish you could quit or lessen 11 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer