Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I Do Not Like Physical Media

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 150 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 2:43:08 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
I will not play it in my sox
I will not play it with a fox

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 2:43:48 PM PST
A customer says:
That's absurd. Music recorded on tapes weren't distributed for free on a global scale. MP3's are. Copying music and filesharing are two COMPLETELY different issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 2:46:34 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
I would say that - the trend of digital content - simply downloading songs in mp3 format - is directly responsible for the death of the record store. Tower Records, Crow's Nest Music, Coconut's, they are all dead because of mp3's and iTunes.

The condition of the music industry related to that? I am no financial economic expert. I suspect it had a hand in it - but the Record companies may have shot themselves in the foot and the mp3 and iTunes just capitalized on the wound.

How an artist makes money from their albums being streamed on spotify or pandora? Or individual songs sold on iTunes? From what I've read - it is not much. As if they got a ton the way it was before.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 2:51:44 PM PST
"Music recorded on tapes weren't distributed for free on a global scale"

Never heard of tape trading? Metallica made their name on it, dude. Look it up. Filesharing may be a bigger thing, yeah, but it's STILL the same thing. You never knew anyone who recorded a song off the radio on a tape?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 2:54:55 PM PST
Right, the CD Store, a particular branch of the music industry but not the music industry as a whole. There is a difference. It's just like how CDs replaced vinyl, in my view. Not to mention that the music industry was in its heyday in the late 90s-early 2000s, so they pretty much had nowhere to go but down. That, along with the fracturing of mainstream tastes plays a big role too, similar to how cable effected the advertising revenue on over-the-air broadcasting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 3:05:35 PM PST
"There is still something to buying an album by a band you like and giving it a whirl. Nothing wrong with checking it out first - that is a luxury of today that is pretty cool - but still - if you are into that band - I'd think you'd want to buy their whole album.

I'm sure they appreciate your purchase of five or six of their songs though. "

Your assuming I like the band apart from their one song. That isn't always the case. If I like a band and a new album comes out, sure i'll pick it up. Only after previewing the songs though. As for artwork, lyric notes. I don't care one bit about any of that, All i care about is the music. If it sounds good i listen to it, if it doesn't. I will pass. As for the Radio, well i don't really listen to radio.

I'm 100% Against piracy, and I will purchase all of my music unless the artist themselves are giving it to me for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 3:06:46 PM PST
"I would say that - the trend of digital content - simply downloading songs in mp3 format - is directly responsible for the death of the record store. Tower Records, Crow's Nest Music, Coconut's, they are all dead because of mp3's and iTunes. "

That's the spirit of competition. If t hey wanted to compete they should have offered mp3 Downloads.

When I can get the full album for 40% less than in store anywhere, you bet I will.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 3:21:13 PM PST
A customer says:
As a dedicated death metal fiend well before internet piracy... no, I've never heard of tape trading. Haha. Yes, I've "heard of" tape trading. Comparing that to filesharing is ridiculous. I get your point, but it's just not comparable. Even contrasting the mediums is silly. These days, you can pirate music files that are the exact same quality as found on CD, a far cry from that poppy, hissy, lossy cassette you have lying in a box in the attic. You know which one I'm talking about, the one adorning a peeling piece of brown tape with "no life til lether" faintly scribbled across it. Please.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 3:48:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012, 3:49:18 PM PST
Anthony says:
this brings to mind the south park episode about metallica suing their fans for downloading their music.

also, of those stores you mentioned, the only one i've ever heard of was tower records, lol.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 3:54:46 PM PST
Sorry, I'm not giving up my physical media because someone's forgetful and careless.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 3:59:25 PM PST
A customer says:
"There's a new Tower Records about to stop and get a fill-up/Pick the new Cypress Hill up"

^ Number 21 on Complex's article '50 Rap Lyrics That Sound Incredibly Outdated Today' that I was reading a few days ago. A shame is what it is. A damn shame.

About that South Park episode, the image of Lars weeping uncontrollably because he has to wait another couple months to buy a gold-plated shark tank bar haunts me forever. In a funny way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 4:37:24 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
haha - yeah the coconuts im pretty sure was local and the Crows Nest Music was a local Chicago area thing....there was another store in Chicago that I did not mention, Metal Haven - but that was not a chain - it was a one off metal distribution store and it was an effing crime when it closed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 4:44:53 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
"I'm 100% Against piracy, and I will purchase all of my music unless the artist themselves are giving it to me for free."

Agreed. But honestly - buying mp3s off iTunes isn't really getting the money to the artist. I mean - I'm not insisting on spending more money on an album just because I've got money to burn. I'm coming from the perspective of actually supporting the band by buying their album in a manner that they see the profits of my purchase. I know record companies got their hands in it too - but these days - the bands barely see shit from digital content purchases.

"As for the Radio, well i don't really listen to radio."

I don't on my own time. My old job, at an auto repair shop, the radio played the entire shift, this is where I developed the opinion that just the hit songs from a band are not all where it's at. There is an entire album and usually if you dig that band - you're gonna dig the whole album.

"As for artwork, lyric notes. I don't care one bit about any of that, All i care about is the music."

You just might be surprised and find yourself caring more about the music or in other words liking it better if you cared about the lyrics and artwork. Reading and knowing the lyrics to a song helps you visualize and feel the structure of the song so much more it's not even funny. If the lyrics don't have that effect on you - then well, that doesn't sound like very good music to me. The album cover is a visual representation of the sound on that album. There is deep psychological rooted shit with that right there. A visualization that can be associated with what you are hearing - or what you feel when you are hearing it. That is the entire album experience.

Of course all anyone care's about is the music. The other stuff I mention goes right along with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 4:50:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012, 4:53:47 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
"That's the spirit of competition. If t hey wanted to compete they should have offered mp3 Downloads."

That is one way to look at it. There was no way around the masses not buying cds anymore and their sales dropping waaaaaay into the red. I suppose some could have survived by becoming online distribution centers....

But come on man...I walked into that Crows Nest - instantly hit with the smell of incense. Every T-shirt I bought from there smelled that way for weeks - loved it. Inside that place I am put at ease by the sight of endless rows of cds, wall to wall, row after row. A huge back wall with rack after rack of vinyls. Every spot on the wall taken up with a t-shirt, t-shirts hung from the ceiling. No matter how many times I walked in there, there was a weirder than the time before band of some type playing over the speakers - never ever ceased to amaze me. Gettin blazed up good and walkin my ass in there with a fresh paycheck was one of my all time favorite things to do. Even after I've quit the blazin - and that store is long gone...I still cling to the experience by eagerly heading the local FYE and perusing their metal section in hopes I will find some good shit. I am usually reminded I should just order the shit I want online - because it is a diminishing sight to find an album I'm looking for - in a store.

that south park and image of hissy fittin lars ulrich is funny as hell.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 5:05:54 PM PST
A customer says:
Speaking of South Park, is this shit familiar?:

"I am the head of this network, and I will say "shit" all I want! Shit, shit, shit shit shit, shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit, , shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit!"

"Oh, shit!"

*and now, back to Must Shit TV, here on HBC*

Be careful, lest we suffer a similar fate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 5:08:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012, 5:08:21 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
"Leave it to American's to not think that a curse word is a word that is cursed!!"

hahaha what was that show? Cop Drama or somethin?

"Hey Johnson..."

"What"

(muttered quietly) "You got some shit on the side of your mouth..."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 5:38:17 PM PST
"
But come on man...I walked into that Crows Nest - instantly hit with the smell of incense. Every T-shirt I bought from there smelled that way for weeks - loved it. Inside that place I am put at ease by the sight of endless rows of cds, wall to wall, row after row. A huge back wall with rack after rack of vinyls. Every spot on the wall taken up with a t-shirt, t-shirts hung from the ceiling. No matter how many times I walked in there, there was a weirder than the time before band of some type playing over the speakers - never ever ceased to amaze me. Gettin blazed up good and walkin my ass in there with a fresh paycheck was one of my all time favorite things to do. Even after I've quit the blazin - and that store is long gone...I still cling to the experience by eagerly heading the local FYE and perusing their metal section in hopes I will find some good shit. I am usually reminded I should just order the shit I want online - because it is a diminishing sight to find an album I'm looking for - in a store."

That honestly just sounds extremely unpleasant. I would rather avoid such situations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 5:43:04 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 6:12:15 PM PST
A customer says:
Heh. They won't get it, Kevin. Don't bother. I guess you have to have lived it to understand. I miss it, too. Hell, I don't even have an FYE anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 6:19:39 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I have certainly lived experiences like that as well, but I don't miss them. I'll take clicking a button on my phone and having new music 30 seconds later any day. Technology is good.

I'm not trying to knock your good memories though. To each his own.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 7:40:54 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Physical media fo life. Yeah, I could download all of those retro games from XBLA, Nintendo, or the PSN. I could download them or get roms on my pc.

Or, I could just pop them into my NES/Sega/Whatever and play it. I can sit down and flip through the instruction manual, or appreciate the box art from some random guy that had no part in producing the game. I can look at my real, physical library of games, or movies, or music, and see where my money has gone. And to be honest, I'd rather go over whats on my shelf to play then check my digital game library.

Plus, there's just something great about throwing on a record, sitting in my comfy chair, and reading a good book with real pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 7:48:19 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
What, does the smell of a Starbucks packed full of scarf wearing, Mac book toting, hipsters sound more appealing to you? Maybe, maybe not.

Agree to disagree on the old record store experience. Not for everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 7:49:45 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Sigh, indeed...

I figure the days are numbered for the one that is still open near me... I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 7:54:11 PM PST
A customer says:
You're right, technology is good. Why would I want to waste all the technology vested in my high end tube amplifiers by feeding it lossy MP3 files begat by a phone? I don't care how "lossless" the file is, I don't care how "audiophile-grade" the DAC is, pure, straight from the CD/LP sound from a high end source component wins the quality battle every time.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 7:56:18 PM PST
Another dinosaur here. I always prefer the physical when possible. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Sony Continues To Murder Microsoft After Securing Fifa 18 Marketing Rights? 6 1 hour ago
The Xbox One Scorpio Versions Of Destiny 2 and COD Will Be The Best 28 2 hours ago
Why are Sony Ponies begging for PlayStation 5? 28 6 hours ago
Marketing deals and how Sony are destroying Microsoft at their own game 7 6 hours ago
No More Filtering Wish Lists by Item Type? Why, Amazon? 26 8 hours ago
FedEx sucks worse than USPS 239 9 hours ago
Sony CEO Expects Profits Unseen in 20 Years Thanks to Phil Spencer 24 9 hours ago
OT: Better Call Saul, Season 3. I had no idea! 2 11 hours ago
Remedy's New Game For PS4, P7, Is Not Alan Wake 2 But Don't Rule It Out Possible Sequel 1 12 hours ago
Favorite Scary Movie! 46 14 hours ago
Far Cry 5 trailer released 16 14 hours ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 3534 15 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.