Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

General Wii U impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 112 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 9:04:32 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
anybody notice the disc edges? they are rounded on the wiiu games, instead of a normal flatish disc everywhere else. my friend pointed this out to me, i have no idea why they are different

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 9:18:41 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Your uncle handed me open candy once....learned my leason the hard way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 9:47:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The really hard way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 9:58:03 AM PST
I read a story on this, apparently all CD's used to have these rounded edges before they became as mass-produced and cheap as they are now. So Nintendo's discs are probably rounded because they're a proprietary format.

Speaking of, since the discs are proprietary, I don't think we'll be seeing any piracy anytime soon, until the digital games get hacked.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 10:02:20 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013, 5:33:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 10:09:54 AM PST
M Lewis says:
Yes it is. The manual even says you can use the one from the Wii if you want to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 10:10:49 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
What's a "man-yoo-Al?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 10:10:54 AM PST
Totido says:
The manual said you can use your old Wii sensor bar if it was hooked up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 10:15:48 AM PST
Cant get over how now I have Three BIG POWER BRICKS (X360, WiiU & WiiPad) next to my Big power surge protector...WTF!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 10:21:35 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
my sensor bar is black for the wii u, as apposed to the gray one for the regular wii....other than that, nothing different.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 10:37:56 AM PST
A customer says:
Or just get a gamecube for 20 bucks on craigslist?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 10:39:34 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013, 5:33:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 1:36:56 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
After hours of updates, I'm finally up and running!

I'm loving the system. Absolutely loving it! Sure, the UI can use some improvement, but it's new, so I'm sure lots will be fixed. The GamePad is amazing, though it too will require some getting used to as far as its size.

NSMBU looks incredible in HD. I wasn't expecting it to look so good. Pretty fun game, though the reviews are right when they say that it IS a little "safe". I can't wait to get into more of it and the Wii U!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 1:45:17 PM PST
I am enjoying the system so far... As mentioned before, the load times are god awful...

NSMBU - Played a little ways through world 1. Feels a lot like Super Mario World and I am fine with that.

Nintendo Land - I enjoyed every game I tried on this and it really shows off how the tablet can change the way you game.

ZombiU - Got it but haven't played it yet.

I like the system so far, but I find that with most games, I am looking at the tablet more than the screen (at least with the Nintendo Land games)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 1:49:21 PM PST
Aku says:
Good stuff:

The gamepad screen looks much better than I expected.
It's also pretty damn comfy.
Online component doesn't appear to be an afterthought like the Wii.
The ideas used in the few minigames I've tried in Nintendoland show great potential for future titles.
Peaceful music in the system menus.
The remote functions are basic but good god what a glorious idea.

The bad stuff:

Stephen Hawking can run faster than the operating system, so far.
Secondary gripe: the mini-apps like Miiverse feel disjointed from the game since it does take so long to go between them.
Not sure, but screenshots are apparently only made when you pause with the home menu button?
Games should allow chat with just the plain gamepad instead of needing a headset, since everything needed is already there.

Overall I'm impressed, more than I thought I'd be. Sadly we have to put up with the standard "old system games look better than new system games" spiel until developers get used to the Wii U and out of the launch window, but we should surely see some greatness at E3.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 2:50:03 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Okay...the friends list thing is a pain in the ass. I couldn't get it to work for the longest time, then I found the setup for it...hidden away when you press the home button. Aku, I tried to send you a friend request, but it wouldn't let me!

Nintendo Land failed to impress me in the slightest. It's definitely getting traded for something better...but I can see how it can be enjoyable to some people. Monita the robot guide is a reincarnation of Fi from Skyward Sword and that made me hate it more, lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 3:24:39 PM PST
jSten says:
Here's what you do. Take the Wii U out of the box and repackage it in an old Wii box, just to mess with them.

"Oops, looks like Santa got you the wrong thing... or not! Wha ha ha ha!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 3:35:17 PM PST
Aku says:
My Nintendo ID is Monkeyfish. I think.

Also I was rather surprised by NintendoLand. I was expecting all the minigames to be simple Wii Sports-like things, when in fact several of them have done a good job at kicking my ass. The Donkey Kong and F-Zero games especially. Oh man, and then all the Wiiverse stuff started loading up, and you get a much bigger sense of the community as they play and comment on the games parallel from you.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 3:42:07 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Mine is MrFoxhound, of course!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 4:56:06 PM PST
Well so far I too looked at the nice super Mario game disk and I smelled the printed booklet and looked at the pictures it had.... But sadly no system her yet but I'll keep trying. From what I hear the disks are made and are not "Blue-ray" because Sony owns that but the disks are able to hold I think single layer 25 GB on them so they are nice that way. I'll have to compare the size to see if they are smaller or bigger than the other disks in the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 5:13:21 PM PST
Aku says:
It's not showing up in search. You apparently have to enter your friend list and go through the settings before you can add anyone, so maybe it's the same to be added.

And guys, you have to try out that browser. It is the definition of comfort. I can have a youtube clip streaming on the TV while I surf elsewhere on the pad, it's brilliant.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 7:52:50 PM PST
The Drizzle says:
my name is thedr1zzzle. played some more scribblenauts and nsmbu tonight. both are a lot of fun

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 8:24:28 PM PST
KrisCo says:
My impression?

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

But alas, school is taking the bulk of my money. D;

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 9:02:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2012, 9:04:58 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 20, 2012, 7:38:56 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
New Super Mario Bros. U seriously makes me ache for a Zelda or Metroid game on the system. I simply can't get over how incredible the game looks in HD.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Weekly Gaming: 6/26-6/29 36 1 second ago
Xbox One X’s Power Is A Bonus, Allowed Us To Push Visual Limits Quite Easily – A Plague Tale: Innocence Dev “Suddenly you can push the limit quite easily further.” 2 5 minutes ago
Xbox One X should sell 17 million systems by 2021 2 46 minutes ago
Japan Sales (19Jun2017 -> 25Jun20117) 19 1 hour ago
A simple question about Bloodborne 28 1 hour ago
The Xbox One X is Going to be Slaughtered This Holiday Season 0 2 hours ago
Adddictions: What do you wish you could quit or lessen 16 2 hours ago
More 180's Incoming! Where's the High Fidelity VR on Xbox One X Everyone Was Promised? 6 2 hours ago
PS Plus line up for July 13 4 hours ago
Playstation Mid Year Sale 44 4 hours ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 987 5 hours ago
NBA Free Agency starts Juy 1st...Already Leaks... 3 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers