Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: School Shooting in Connecticut

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-300 of 500 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 1:58:30 PM PST
K Archer says:
What else? Train people what to do should the situation arise, hire security, don't allow ANYONE (even family) outside designated (and secure) areas without clearance and a check...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 1:59:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012, 2:01:08 PM PST
Sounds cheap, good thing we have plenty of tax dollar willingly coming from the rich and no debt issues from lazy social program dependant people. :)

I sense sarcasm in your post, was I right? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:02:28 PM PST
K Archer says:
No. What I said is the thing we need to do to try to prevent this.

Unfortunately, nothing like this will happen. The lawmakers will try banning guns again, people will follow them like sheep, schools will either say they have no money to do this or when they try to raise money or use it for this, parents will do what they can to stop it. Idiots everywhere.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012, 2:02:33 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
It's weird.

I know that if I were a kid, I would see this story and it would scare me to death - I would be thankful I was not in that classroom when it happened, and be mourning those who were.

Now, as an adult - and a father - I'm more along the lines of wishing I HAD been in that classroom....

...with a really sharp pencil and a way to get to that (&#$%@ before he could get one shot off at a child.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:03:15 PM PST
Which angers me to no end, if this piece of human filth that was Adam Lanza wanted to kill himself so badly then he should have found a bridge and jumped or just eat the bullet himself, but no why not spread tragedy and heart break to twenty seven families as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:03:17 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
The only problem with this is that we could have every building in the world secured but it won't completely stop people from hurting others. It just might minimize the risk in certain instances.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:03:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012, 2:05:02 PM PST
Train teachers to be cops and hire more security in already broke school systems.... that is your plan? Do I understand that correctly? Sounds a lot like what we did after 911 in airports. :)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012, 2:04:53 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Aside from recognizing that the shooter was a danger to himself and others before he put his intentions in motion, I simply don't see any rational measures that could have been taken to prevent this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:05:45 PM PST
Sadly I think many parents who lost their child in this tragedy will be having similar thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:06:38 PM PST
Oh, see that is where I lean. I don't believe this kid was perfectly normal yesterday and just went crazy today. How did nobody see this coming? There had to be signs. Take Columbine for instance, the kids were making pipebombs in the garage, the parents knew about it. The CO shooter had a booby trapped apartment his roommates knew about.... signs, everywhere signs. Just my 2 cents. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:07:07 PM PST
K Archer says:
No, you can't stop people who want to do others harm. They will find a way. That's why making guns illegal DOES NOT WORK.

But, you can minimize the damage they do, and if they're caught early enough almost negate it. Sticking your head in sand and saying we don't have the money to protect OUR KIDS is completely idiotic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:08:24 PM PST
"So if it is going to happen again, how do we minimize the effects? :)"

The short answer: limit access and limit time availiable to commit the crime. Early detection (again, like with medicine) saves lives. Sure, the dude could run through the checkpoint and open fire, but with the alarms going off from the detector and an armed guard on premises less lives would be lost. "Security" is a misnomer. We are never completely secure, we can only mitigate damage.

That's why people put alarms in banks and homes after all: limit access, limit time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:08:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012, 2:09:43 PM PST
Playing devil's advocate here. So we protect our schools with security, then people shoot up malls. What then? More security? Ok cool. Now they shoot up movie theaters, what then? More security? So they shoot up parks, what then? More security? So they just shoot randomly in downtime areas at lunch, what then? More security? So they then shoot up bars, what then? More security? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:10:16 PM PST
AndrewA says:
We shouldn't have to be discussing how to make elementary schools safe from shooters.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:11:35 PM PST
I can't imagine a world where my children need an armed guard and metal detectors at all doors simply to attend school. There has to be a better solution. That isn't a world we should accept. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:11:40 PM PST
K Archer says:
Like I said. Prevention is key. No, you can never be completely safe, but having someone there that can help, teaching people what to do in this situation, having a plan...that can and will save lives. Doing nothing, banning things...will only make it worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:12:37 PM PST
K Archer says:
Then do your part and get your idiot politicians involved in finding ways to identify these people before they can do harm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:14:13 PM PST
Sadly we shouldn't,but with psycho garbage like Adam Lanza out there we probably should before a similar tragedy happens again.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012, 2:14:15 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013, 5:33:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:14:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012, 2:16:26 PM PST
Right so we need armed guards at parks, playgrounds, schools, movie theaters, airplanes, restaurants, bars, parking lots, every block downtown, health clubs, bowling allies and every other populuation dense area? Nah, sorry I can't agree. Crazy people with guns will find populated areas to shoot up, it isn't possible to secure all areas. Even if we secure schools, there will be other areas to target, such as zoos. The problem has to be stopped far earlier. Fighting fire with fire seems silly to me. IMHO, no offense intended. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:15:56 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
But, but Jersey Shore was canceled! That's a step in the right direction, not the end of the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:17:00 PM PST
I would but they are too busy deciding if millionaries are treated fairly in this country. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:17:53 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I would completely agree that situations like that shouldn't even get that far. The glaring issue though is how do we do that?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012, 2:18:02 PM PST
K Archer says:
So, your solution is...?

If you say "ban guns" you're being moronic.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012, 2:18:42 PM PST
R.Typ0 says:
It's best to mourn those who were taken, the families and communities that were destroyed, and let the information come out first before we analyze, scrutinize, and claim to have any solutions or answers.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Mountain Dew and Doritos Giving Away Xbox One X Consoles Every 60 Seconds Soon 5 11 hours ago
12 Games in 12 Months 2017 Edition 310 11 hours ago
Weekly & Weekend Gaming: 9/18-9/24 37 12 hours ago
PlayStation 4 is Winning the Console Wars and It’s Not Even Close 37 14 hours ago
Xbox One Is So Weak BASIC Animations Are Missing 0 14 hours ago
List of Xbox One X Enhanced Games Grows to Over 130, Console Pre-orders Available Today 27 14 hours ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 4257 15 hours ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 4291 15 hours ago
More troubling news for Msft? Phil Spencer gets huge promotion of Xbox gaming division. 61 15 hours ago
PS Pro Has Over 183 Enhanced Games And Counting, $100.00 Cheaper, And Has Been Doing "True 4K" Gaming For Over A Year. 32 15 hours ago
OT: Week 3 NFL picks 11 16 hours ago
First trailer for Tomb Raider movie 12 16 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  500
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.