Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Walmart Black Friday Strike?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 201 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:53:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012, 6:56:21 AM PST
"Maybe some Walmart employees had expected to have Thursday off and were using that time to bring thier newborn baby for the first visit with their extended family"

Why can't they visit their extended family on 364 other days out of the year? Christmas/new years is also around the corner.

This one day out of the year is nothing to walk out of a job for. I would certainly think that a new parent (especially one working at Walmart) would be more concerned about their financial security, thus this would be seen as a positive thing to me and not a negative.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:54:05 AM PST
WesCyde . says:
I am just saying thats the goal of a retailer to make money so to say its not essential for them to be open is not a good argument thats a big money time for them.

Its the way that things are at the money for a number of places, economy completely sucks so take advantage where you can is the motto it seems

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:54:06 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I died of Asian lung when I was 13.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:54:15 AM PST
Ice King says:
Are you being serious? They should be thankful that their employer decided that they wanted to be open on a holiday so now they possibly have to leave their family gatherings early or in some cases miss them completely?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:54:40 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Working Black Friday is a reasonable risk when you work in the retail industry. Working Thanksgiving isn't so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:54:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012, 6:55:23 AM PST
A customer says:
Actually, you know what I think?

How about those people at Walmart get an education (or continue education), and try to get a better job out of retail? That's what I did. Now I am off for holiday's. I used to work my tail off in retail; commission and all sorts of BS working hours. I got sick of it and was motivated to get another job. I didn't COMPLAIN, I worked my arse off and did it MYSELF.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:55:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012, 6:57:55 AM PST
Yes - They are being given additional employment opportunities with holiday pay.

Being asked to work one holiday out of the year is nothing to jeopardize your source of income over - Especially when your place of employment obviously needs the additional help.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012, 6:57:19 AM PST
I'll be off from Dec 18th - Jan 1st. I can't wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:58:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012, 6:58:31 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Holiday pay? They're not full time employees, which means they are making the same amount of money, they just have to work on a day that is traditionally a day off for about 98% of the workforce. Even supermarkets close at 2pm on Thanksgiving.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:59:46 AM PST
A customer says:
I wasn't full time when I received holiday pay?

I got holiday pay every Thanksgiving and Christmas when I worked 20-35 hours a week.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 6:59:57 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Again, I agree with you. But that's ME. I don't have any emotional attachment to this holiday. I like it because I get off work. I like eating a big unnecessary meal. If it all went away I wouldn't care all that much - but others do. Possibly enough to risk their job. It's not a purely logical thing, there's another factor here.

Plus working for Walmart for any extended period of time must be a somewhat depressing experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:00:01 AM PST
Ice King says:
Some people just aren't capable of anything more than working at Walmart. Not just financially, there are people who don't have the mental capacity to do much more than work retail. There's nothing wrong with that though, and it doesn't mean they don't deserve to spend the holidays with their families.

And what are you going to do if this working on holidays thing eventually spreads to people like you? It's not impossible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:00:20 AM PST
WesCyde . says:
Me neither off from 21 December to 7 January

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:00:38 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
New one on me. I worked for a Union and didn't get holiday pay for working on Thanksgiving at a supermarket.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:00:56 AM PST
Holiday pay/no holiday pay doesn't really make THAT much of a difference.

Additional pay = additional pay. If they aren't full time employees in the first place then they should definitely find solace in their employer offering them additional hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:01:12 AM PST
It's very nice indeed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:01:36 AM PST
Soulshine says:
That's an important distinction though - I don't think they're being *asked*. If it was a volunteer thing there wouldn't be a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:01:49 AM PST
A customer says:
I actually wouldn't mind, I have done it before, and I could use the double pay. In reality, people like to complain.

But people in retail have crappy work hours, especially for holiday events. Everyone knows this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:02:09 AM PST
A customer says:
Union, I didn't work for a union.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012, 7:07:03 AM PST
diesel says:
So double time at walmart whats that about $10 dollars an hour after taxes ?
Is that enough to miss family and get run over by rude people swinging 60" tv 's around ?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:08:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012, 7:09:55 AM PST
"it doesn't mean they don't deserve to spend the holidays with their families"

Nobody is saying this. This is one holiday that just happens to be the day before the busiest day all year. It's certainly understandable why a retail giant such as Walmart may require additional assistance.

I understand that in certain rare situations employees may not to spend the entire day with their families which is disappointing, but Walmart is opening at 8:00pm which is well after most families celebrate anyways. For the very small minority of people who will miss quality time they are being paid for their inconvenience and will be able to regain any lost family time during Christmas/New Years.

Since having a job at Walmart is their choice, they also have the choice to quit if they can do not agree with their employers needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:11:25 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
"I understand that in certain rare situations employees may not to spend the entire day with their families which is disappointing, but Walmart is opening at 8:00pm which is well after most families celebrate anyways."

But since the issue with the strike is specifically with the dock workers, you can bet that they'll be in there working -at least- two hours early. 8 may be after most families finish dinner, but 6 is right about the time most families are having dinner. There's a good chance they'll be in even earlier than that to prepare the store.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:13:41 AM PST
I've worked holidays too, at a gas station. They paid double time. I haven't heard if Walmart is offering this, but its the least they could do.

And it was never mandatory. They asked who'd be willing to work weeks in advance. I haven't heard for sure if this is the case at Walmart.

As far as McDonalds, no I wouldn't say it's essential. But if people want to work it, fine. But it sounds like these people don't want to work Thanksgiving, and aren't getting a choice. I haven't heard all the details, so I'm assuming that's what has them so up in arms.

Also, the article said Walmart has been working on these plans for a year. I'd be interested to know when management knew about this vs. when the hourlys were told.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:15:35 AM PST
You have remarkable grammar for a dead 13 year old who never got to go to school.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 7:19:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012, 7:21:49 AM PST
Logically - How is a retailer supposed to unload stock for the biggest sale year-round without proper assistance? They can't just open up the doors at 8:00 with everything magically stocked and ready to go.

Everybody seems to act as if the time of dinner/family gatherings is completely out of their hands as well....In my family if a few people are scheduled or unavailable until a certain time then we will move the time of the gathering by a few hours to accommodate them. This happens almost every year for me since we have a sheriff and a few hospital workers which are always required to work on Thanksgiving.

I understand that it may be an inconvenience for some.....But an inconvenience on one holiday in the midst of many upcoming holidays is not worth walking out of a job for.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
PS Pro Has Over 183 Enhanced Games And Counting, $100.00 Cheaper, And Has Been Doing "True 4K" Gaming For Over A Year. 32 7 hours ago
Mountain Dew and Doritos Giving Away Xbox One X Consoles Every 60 Seconds Soon 0 7 hours ago
More troubling news for Msft? Phil Spencer gets huge promotion of Xbox gaming division. 60 7 hours ago
List of Xbox One X Enhanced Games Grows to Over 130, Console Pre-orders Available Today 26 8 hours ago
OT: Week 3 NFL picks 11 8 hours ago
First trailer for Tomb Raider movie 12 8 hours ago
PC version of Final Fantasy IX rated by PEGI for PS4 23 9 hours ago
Spintires: MudRunner - Xbox One 0 10 hours ago
Metroid: Samus returns impressions! 21 11 hours ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 4256 11 hours ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 4290 12 hours ago
How Do Xbots Feel About Phil Spencer Being Named "gaming" Boss Because Xbox Brand Has Failed? 5 12 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  201
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.