Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

American gaming companies or Japanese gaming companies?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 94 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 4, 2012, 2:22:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 4, 2012, 2:23:05 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 4, 2012, 2:22:57 PM PST
Have to say both sides of the gaming companies are as equally great as they are equally bad.I do have to say that hopefully Capcom will learn their lesson a little from the some of the reviews following RE5&6 while they weren't bad games Capcom swerved them from what made the franchise series so iconic and gave it a more NA touch. Meaning Capcom saw at the time the popularity of first/third person shooters in the States and hoped to capitalize on it but apparently that was a bad choice especially for RE:Operation Raccoon City.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012, 2:33:12 PM PST
Benpachi says:
Japanese, but both are great and offer totally different experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 2:33:24 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
So you like Japanese games, that is fine, as they have some great games; despite Western dominance the past ten plus years, something that the Japanese have agreed with, noting that they do need to change how they make games.

But you are not an Xbox fan? See, I don't get stuff like this. People like you, Flores, McClane, M, Dougie and others: As a gamer who has played nearly every system since 1982, and owned a lot of different systems too, I have my preferences. However, I don't dislike any system or game company in particular. I figure I can save my dislike for more visceral things like racists, al-Qaeda, the Thunder and Baltimore Ravens. The purpose of gaming is to have fun. If you don't have fun with the PS3 or the 360, the problem does not lie with the system but yourself and you may want to see a shrink about it.

Ultimately, and maybe because I am on the rag right now, why even post this thread when you clearly had a bias? You love Japanese game companies and consoles, which is fine, but to dislike two generations of consoles and I may be wrong here, but Western developers in general, shows your ignorance and lack of appreciation for history, as well as common sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 2:37:24 PM PST
Wait, what did he/she write?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 3:30:41 PM PST
I meant game devs/publishers, such as Activivion and EA. MS is not a gaming company, same as Sony. The 360 is okay, just needs some more exclusives that aren't FPS games

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 3:32:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 4, 2012, 3:54:37 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 3:43:08 PM PST
MS and Sony both publish games, though.

Just curious, how many exclusives does the 360 have that are FPSes? How many does the PS3 have?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 3:50:41 PM PST
They wrote a racial slur for Japanese people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 3:56:59 PM PST
I meant shooters:
Halo
Gears
Mass Effect 1
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2

And almost all of those are on PC, and ME stretches it.

PS3:
Resistance
Killzone
Socom
MAG
Uncharted (if it counts)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 4:01:34 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
there's also Brink for PS3, if you could call it a worth while shooter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 4:06:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012, 4:25:16 PM PST
DVvM says:
Valve published L4D and L4D2, not Microsoft. Valve just chose not to port either game to the PS3 for whatever reason.

Mass Effect really is pushing it, since it's an RPG that has guns rather than an actual shooter. By the standards of "shooters" the combat in ME1 is really quite poor.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012, 4:14:37 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013, 7:28:11 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 4:25:43 PM PST
However, they are not on PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 4:35:59 PM PST
Okay. ME1 and the L4D series are not exclusive to the 360.

So by that argument, the PS3 has more exclusive shooters than the 360.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012, 4:51:03 PM PST
After reading hundreds of these arguments I have realized something. You guys are huge nerds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 5:20:19 PM PST
Yeah, they were pushing it, but, console-wise, they are exclusive.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012, 5:43:46 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
I like Jnese companies better in general because I feel they still focus more on gameplay than anything else(Minus Square). American companies focus too much on trying to make the game cinematic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 5:47:39 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Huh? The epic cutscenes from RE, MGS, DMC, NG, and every JRPG known to man all say hello.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 6:21:16 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Yea the difference imo is that they actually occasionally make non cinematic games. Your marios, your zeldas, your capcom fighters and so fourth. American companies almost universally spooge over their unnecessary cutscenes and cinematics.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 6:24:58 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I agree that they do from time to time. We do get a lot of cutscenes from Western developers. But I would say the same with Japanese with FF and the long ass spell scenes! I think all companies do it now with the unnecessary cut scenes.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012, 6:25:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012, 6:26:42 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
It's bad enough people have to argue over game quality based on what console they are available for, now people want to argue over which ones are better based on what country they come from? This is a pretty lame argument. It's full of generalizations and stereotypes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 6:27:42 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think we need to break into more camps, breaking loyalties into both console and market.

We need Xbots who like Japanese games to fight with Xbots who like American games!
We need the SDF to defend itself from former comrades who like the wrong country's games!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 6:32:22 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
That would make for one hell of a camping trip. I'll bring the smores.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012, 6:48:09 PM PST
Or make crappy casual games.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
GOTY Predictions so far 46 34 minutes ago
Xbox Business Is Growing Profitably, Says Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella causing a D meltdown. 14 48 minutes ago
Microsoft reports strong quarterly and yearly gaming revenues proving that its platform-unifying strategy is paying off big 18 2 hours ago
Free Humble Steam keys 6 2 hours ago
Xbox Live ended the quarter with 53 million monthly active users, helping drive a 4% increase in gaming. 28 2 hours ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 1587 4 hours ago
Why do they call it Chicken Parmesan when it's made with mostly motzarella, and not Parmesan? 7 6 hours ago
Nintendo Switch impressions 399 10 hours ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 3940 10 hours ago
Shadow Warrior Free on Humble Store 5 11 hours ago
OT: 6 months in, Trump's presidency is an unmitigated failure of historic proportions! 33 11 hours ago
Is the original Spyro Trilogy getting the Crash Bandicoot type of remaster? 16 11 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer