Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

BioShock Infinite Box Art Revealed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 8:16:36 AM PST
Alien Fodder says:
Nathan Drake, Steampunk style! :)

I think it looks great but I agree with everyone who says that it's certainly not the best choice for this game.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 8:07:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012, 8:08:50 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
I thought games are meant to be played, not to stare at the box all day. Gamers are getting just as petty as Bluray buyers. You should see the forums on Blu-Ray.com. THOSE guys are obsessive wackjobs with severe mental issues. They have entire threads dedicated to PACKAGING and exclusives, and there are people who literally return a movie multiple times due to some minor blemish on packaging. Not to mention the guys who buy Toy Story 3 EIGHT times in order to get all the different store exclusives.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 7:56:24 AM PST
SlyFox007 says:
I hope the burning flag doesn't create controversy, because that's just going to make the type of people who freak out about it look stupid again and draw some publicity to the part of the box that is the smallest part of the problem. After all, we see a flag that has caught fire, not someone in the act of lighting it.

The first game's cover had a Big Daddy, the most iconic aspect of the game. So you immediately wondered why there was a lug in a pressurized diving suit with a giant drill for a hand staring you down. Bioshock 2 was very similar, with another Big Daddy (who happened to be the player character) and another Little Sister, indicating you're getting more of the same, which is pretty accurate for the game.

I realize they've said that there's no one equivalent of Big Daddy in Infinite. And I think Booker's the logical choice instead of a Handy Man or the Songbird. But so many of the teaser images that have come out before this would have made for a better cover. Most have featured Elizabeth, given more of an impression of the setting, and had an art style more in line with what we've seen from gameplay and the Bioshock essence in general.

And when gamer's feel entitled, that's because games are such an interactive experience. We know we have the right to expect great things from the Bioshock series, and, when details and images are very slowly revealed to keep fans interested, and an image like this gets revealed on social media sites with a caption saying "What do you think?" and they expect a round of applause, the knee-jerk reaction is "Are you kidding?" Similar to the final 5 minutes of Mass Effect 3, after the first 100+ hours of the trilogy seemed to be leading up to something a lot better.

Also, the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover" is a proverb, not meant to apply to literal books, or, by extension, movies and games. They have teams devoted to making the best first impression possible, and if this was the best first expression they could create, we all get a little nervous. I was really excited about 007 Legends, but then the terrible box art was revealed. I shrugged it off, but it turned out the game was as shoddy as the box art. Bad box art is too often a sign of things to come, and I just hope that's not the case here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 8:08:53 PM PST
BioShock Infinite is pretty much suppose to single player. So you're kind of out of luck.

Having said that, Irrational should make a dedicated MP FPS game. I'd play it.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 8:04:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 8:04:25 PM PST
Gomb says:
I think it could have been great, kind of like "Capture the Little Sister" mode in Bioshock 2 except you grab the other teams flag and hook on to a roller coaster track and zip away with the other team sliding down after you with guns blazing. I think the plasmids made for great variety in the deathmatches in Bioshock 2, and I'm sure the new one is going to have even more powers and gene tonics that could have been epic... however I don't play singleplayer games so I will be skipping this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 7:57:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 7:58:53 PM PST
So, have any interesting ideas as to why MP would even work in Infinite?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 7:56:12 PM PST
Jacob Wunder says:
Nah. We don't need multiplayer in Bioshock. Just make the single player as good as possible.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 7:47:19 PM PST
Gomb says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 7:36:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 7:50:55 PM PST
I just think it's funny when gamers act like entitled, spoiled brats. It would be great if their whining caused a delay, which would lead to more whining. It's like a Catch-22.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 7:31:30 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
I'll be so pissed if it gets delayed for any reason, but that would be kind of funny.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 1:56:49 PM PST
I don't like it.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't be getting the game. All that really matters to me is what's on the inside.

I do feel it would have been better with the Songbird or Elizabeth on the cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 1:44:32 PM PST
maybe you will be able to hold a Move controller on each hand, one for the gun and the other for plasmids.
Dunno.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 1:23:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 1:25:50 PM PST
That's a good point. It's hard to say since the game isn't out yet, but it seems like Booker Dewitt as a protagonist will be more than an empty shell, as he has an identity and back ground. Having said that, it's pretty easy to just simply put photos of the protagonist all around the world, like they did with Dishonored. Regardless, I think they should have been a little more creative now that I think about it. Problem is, the game is so late in development cycle, that it would probably take more resources to make a new one.

Come to think of it, I think it would be sort of funny for it to be delayed because people whined about the cover. Regardless, more viewpoints here.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bioshock-infinite-box-art-reveal-met-with-criticism

I actually think the art for the Infinite board game is even worse, IMO. The first thing that came to my mind was "are you kidding me?"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 1:17:52 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think the logic might be that since the game is set in the first person perspective, you will hardly see the protagonist at all, so if you want the players to have some idea who he is or what he looks like, you put him on the cover?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 1:14:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 1:15:01 PM PST
Even Steve Gaynor wasn't sure what to make of it.

https://twitter.com/fullbright/status/274903322396336128

I have a feeling they aren't going to change it. Although I'm reading the article right now, and the author makes some good points.

Sort of off topic, but I'm thinking about all the other covers that ended up doing the game a disservice in the end. I remember the Ico American Cover. Now THAT, was godawful and didn't even do the game's experience justice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 1:06:19 PM PST
DVvM says:
I definitely think that Columbia, Elizabeth, or the Songbird would be a much better subject for the cover than the protagonist, whoever he is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 1:03:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 1:03:55 PM PST
This is going to be interesting...

I dunno. Once again, I find myself in the middle of all this mess.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 1:00:54 PM PST
DVvM says:
Kotaku on record as disliking the cover: http://kotaku.com/5964876/yes-bioshock-infinites-cover-is-terrible-and-yes-that-actually-matters

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 12:34:31 PM PST
new Tron says:
Not saying it didnt work well for that game. I'm just saying that that's too basic for Irrational Games. They're always breaking conventions...using Move for the same old tired alternate control scheme that other devs use it for, would seem very un-Ken Levine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 12:05:16 PM PST
I really hope Move support is implemented the way Killzone 3 was. It was really good.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 11:49:03 AM PST
DVvM says:
It's not really a great cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 11:48:33 AM PST
BioShock never struck me as being epic. Epic box art would just look stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 11:47:16 AM PST
K Archer says:
The game is supposed to be more "epic" then this. A game's cover should reflect the game. A generic pose wouldn't do the game justice

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 11:38:11 AM PST
Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact its pose is very similar to almost every game out there. Seriously, I see no difference.

How many games have similar poses on the cover any way? Not just in the military genre. Oh that's right, almost EVERY game. Why are people whining about this particular game only?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 11:34:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 11:34:48 AM PST
K Archer says:
Well, didn't the first Bioshock have a Big Daddy on the cover? It showcased the iconic enemy of the game.

The only thing that's "different" about this one is the flag burning...and even then, it have have been added more for the "shock-value" then anything.

Overall, cover is meh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Best Place to buy Alcohol Online 58 34 minutes ago
Here it is... The Official VGF Game of 2016 Game! Cast your votes! 3544 2 hours ago
Friday the 13th REVIEW 0 3 hours ago
The Xbox One Scorpio Versions Of Destiny 2 and COD Will Be The Best 29 3 hours ago
PSVR Farpoint Aim bundle back in stock. 19 3 hours ago
OT: if anyone is looking for a micro SD 64GB $23 0 4 hours ago
Nintendo Switch impressions 278 5 hours ago
Allow a stream to be listed under two directories at once, if streaming two games. 0 5 hours ago
Weekly Hardware Chart 15th April 2017, PS4 Overtakes Switch For #1 While Xbox One S Struggles To Remain Relevant 6 10 hours ago
Monster Hunter annoucned for Nintendo Switch 6 11 hours ago
Why are Sony Ponies begging for PlayStation 5? 33 19 hours ago
Sony Continues To Murder Microsoft After Securing Fifa 18 Marketing Rights? 10 20 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.