Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Retrogaming Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 232 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012, 9:52:46 AM PDT
I've never really lived close to anything like this before so I'm pretty stoked to be going. More conventions are popping up all over the place though now, like Comic Con now has an event in Denver which is pretty awesome I think.

@ Guest

Oh the lack of sleep we shall all suffer because of this decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012, 9:59:48 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Haha, probably.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012, 10:03:59 AM PDT
Zombies Ate My Neighbors was one of my favorites. I just loved the take on B-movies. Werewolves are killed by silver so of course you used silverware in the game. You used popsicles to freeze the blobs. Too bad that Nintendo censored the blood over the screen (it looks like slime in the SNES version) but the game is still amazing. I loved how the credits were in their own level where you could wander around LucasArts and talk to people at their desks.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012, 10:07:59 AM PDT
Wraith says:
Playing Breath of Fire 1 on my DS lite, GBA version. Also playing FFIV on the DS, Chrono Trigger and started FFTactics again this time on the PSP edition. Lots of great old school gaming.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012, 10:17:58 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Oh man, the PSP version of FFTactics was the definitive version. I could never go back to the PS1 version after that.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012, 12:41:59 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Man, I am way further in FFVI than I have ever been before. It's pretty awesome. I'm officially in unknown territory.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012, 12:46:31 PM PDT
Forever R. says:
StarFox for N64

Posted on Sep 16, 2012, 6:53:59 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
All fairly common stuff, but I just got a huge haul. Friend of mine is moving to Cali and doesn't want to have to pay for movers to carry this stuff. Gave me two SNES controllers, the first adventure island, sonic and knuckles, Little Nemo, Super Mario 3, Dr Mario, Tetris (the official cart), the Sunsoft Batman, a huge stack of Tengen carts, Toy Story for the genesis, and Mega Man 3. Additionally I am now the proud owner of a Power Glove.

The kicker is that the majority of this stuff still came with manuals.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 8:29:26 AM PDT
I am jealous...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 9:47:26 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
I'm pretty pleased. I just finished cleaning ten years worth of basement dust off of 'em, removing name labels where I could, and just generally prettying them up. Played a little Sonic and Knuckles. Wondering which of these to pop in and try out. I'm considering popping in "Toobin'" because I've never heard of it, and who doesn't like video games about float trips and drinking beer, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 9:58:27 AM PDT
Sonic and Knuckles works best if you have Sonic 3 because then you get access to all of Sonic 3's levels and then that rolls into Sonic and Knuckles' levels which was how the game was supposed to be however during development the team fell behind and they broke it into two parts. Also you get access to the save feature which is quite nice for the extend Sonic experience.

Toobin' is eh at best, I remember that one in the local arcade at the roller rink back home. It's fun for a little bit but that was one of the few games that were almost always open. Makes for some fun co-op though with how you bounce off of each other and everything.

Little Nemo is what I'm eyeing but that game is rather difficult lol. Toy Story on the Genesis is tempting as well, I played the crap out of that as a kid and I remember being blown away by it when it released. Also that was right around when Sega moved from the plastic Genesis cases to the cardboard ones to save money. I was irked having that crappy case on my shelf because it got jacked up with all the other solid cased games.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 10:33:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2012, 10:34:07 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Yeah, I have it with the cardboard case. Amazing it survived. Also have Batman and Robin that way. When I get the universal game cases, those'll be two of the first ones getting switched over. I need to pick up Sonic 3. Then again, I also need to pick up Sonic 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 10:43:20 AM PDT
I think I have two copies of Sonic 2 sitting around lol.

Yea I'm about to put in an order for 200 of those cases and that should almost cover my retro collection I think. Unless my count is off... Which it could be because I didn't pull everything out.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012, 10:47:41 AM PDT
Alien Fodder says:
I have a technical question for all of you Nintendo pros. :)

I just bought a used Nintendo 64 for 20 $ in a second-hand store near my house and I have no idea what condition it's in but my first question to you is this: can this baby be connected to a current model HD TV or do you really need an old CRT TV to make it work? And if you can connect it to an HD TV, do you need a particular cable or adapter to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 10:58:00 AM PDT
The standard AV cables that came with it should hook up to your HDTV just fine. I bought a 55" back in May and my Nintendo 64 hooks up to it just fine. You will probably need to go in and turn off the refresh rate in your TV's menu otherwise the controls will be really laggy on older consoles.

If you have the RF adapter which plugs into the coaxial port on your TV (cable) that will still work but you'll need to set your TV to the right channel (3 or 4). However one of the awesome things about the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Gamecube was they all used the same AV port so if you don't have AV cables with your 64 then you can use the same cable your SNES or Gamecube already uses.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012, 12:51:24 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Here's a little bit of love for the collectors that I discovered today. Did you pick up a cart for cheap, but some drooling kid wrote their name on the paper label? Dorks... Well, at least with the early games, you can try this trick. What you do is you apply a light amount of goo-gone to a paper towel and gently rub the sharpied area on the game cartridge label. It comes off. I've done it to two carts now!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 1:00:25 PM PDT
I have some games that just make me wonder what the hell people were thinking. My copy of Super Smash Bros. 64 makes me want to vomit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 1:04:29 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Probably cleanable, I'm learning!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 1:48:34 PM PDT
Check Facebook to see what I mean and also I have a copy of Sonic 2 and a copy of The Legend of Zelda gold cart that could have your name on them if you want them. =p

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 1:55:43 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Oh, believe me, I do. I'll PM you on the face-buks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 2:02:15 PM PDT
Got it!

Posted on Sep 16, 2012, 2:06:09 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
So, these carts came out horribly dusty and covered in cobwebs and stickers and sharpie. Over the course of the day I've managed to polish off all'a them, put the Power Glove in a place of honor, and get everything clean everything up. Played some batman, some Tetris, some Toobin. Still got lots of carts to play around with. Pretty awesome.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012, 2:06:48 PM PDT
Joshua C says:
I recently got a copy of Dragon Warrior 2 for NES that had everything included. Everything! And then, as I was going through everything, found that someone had stuck gum in the middle of the instruction manual. What the deuce. Luckily I only dropped 20 on it at a flea market, and everything else was in good shape.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 2:20:34 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Oh, ouch! Still, you've got the box and all. That's great.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012, 3:58:18 PM PDT
Alien Fodder says:
Thanks, Keji! Seems like I do have the RF adapter you mentioned but I might have to fish for one of those AV cables. I'm a Nintendo virgin, you see... Yeah, I know... how can I call myself a gamer if I've never played a Nintendo game, right? Well, I'm just very late to the party, is all. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Any car guys/gals in here? 0 7 hours ago
OT: Week 3 NFL picks 36 7 hours ago
Sony Ships Another Half Million PlayStation VR Headsets, Dominates Competition 65 7 hours ago
Weekly & Weekend Gaming: 9/25-10/1 4 7 hours ago
OT: Should the national anthem be removed from NFL games? 5 7 hours ago
Is The Xbox One X In Danger Of Being Dead On Arrival? 13 7 hours ago
Xbox X pre-orders back for the 2nd time and the X roars to #1 in less than a day curbstomping the Pro once again. 96 7 hours ago
OT: Weiner goes up the river 0 7 hours ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 4604 7 hours ago
Kingsman 2: Golden Circle 2 8 hours ago
I beat Marvel vs Capcom Infinite's story mode in one sitting, AMA 6 8 hours ago
So uhh....My left JoyCon isn't connecting to my Switch now 19 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  232
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.