Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Vanuatu's Independence Day and ... Sissy Boys!?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8651-8675 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 6:02:13 PM PST
That sucks. I still have to play Chapter 4. I really like the game so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 6:03:52 PM PST
Well the thing that annoyed me was last time it updated like that was when they uploaded the latest episode so I got a little excited thinking I was going to get to play early.

Those dreams were instantly dashed and in a smashing fashion no less.

You're in for a treat with Episode Four, especially if you can play through it then go right into Episode Five.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 6:11:01 PM PST
"You're in for a treat with Episode Four, especially if you can play through it then go right into Episode Five."

That's what I'm thinking. When Episode Four came out I was busy playing other games and had also just started a second play through of The Walking Dead. I figured when Episode 5 comes out, I'll just finish my second run through and include Episode's 4 and 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 6:14:13 PM PST
Episode Four ends on a pretty big cliff hanger (obviously) so having Episode Five right there will be awesome. I've been dying to get my hands on Episode Five since about five seconds before Episode Four ended lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 6:35:50 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Yeah, I've heard multiple times that Episode 4 feels like a "Finale Part 1 of 2".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 7:24:16 PM PST
It does and it doesn't. They did a great job at setting the stage for Episode Five and letting you know that episode is going to be huge but there is still plenty of big time stuff that happens in Episode Four.

I think most of the people got annoyed with the fact that it actually ended on a cliff hanger while the other episodes tended to wrap things up nicely.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012, 9:58:14 PM PST
Finger says:
I think I'll try going to Microcenter tomorrow. Pretty excited after all the good things I've heard here. Just hope I don't go all "Kid in a candy shop" crazy.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012, 10:25:29 PM PST
Finger says:
Dang it. I bought this Antec power supply:

Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M, 80 PLUS BRONZE, 620 Watt Modular Power Supply

But how do I know if it will play nice with this case:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Anyone have any advice on this? What exactly am I supposed to be looking for?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 10:29:51 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I am going to splurge and get all five next month. 25 bucks and at least 15-20 hours of game play for all five games combined and I have only heard good things.....Hopefully I can download as a package on XBLA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 10:54:08 PM PST
I think there was a season pass that saved about $5 if you got them all.

There is also this....

The Walking Dead - Xbox 360

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 10:56:05 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Cool. I might just download them....Also, isn't it five dollars more for the actual disc? That seems odd.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 11:03:58 PM PST
Yes it is. I'm guessing the price is more because of manufacturing the DVD and box, I don't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 11:23:43 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
You should be able to fit that power supply into that case, but make sure that the cables are long enough because that case places the power supply at the bottom, which means some cables will have to be longer to reach drive mounted near the top of the case and any connectors near the top of the motherboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 11:31:47 PM PST
Finger says:
Thanks man. I really don't know how to identify which case/PSU combo will work well together. And personally, I think that particular case is ugly as sin. But the price and features are right. Lol

And by the way, I heard you got a new gaming laptop. Congrats! What did you choose? And how are you liking it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 11:49:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012, 11:56:11 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
In most cases, PSUs come in a standard size to fit most cases. That case may be ugly but it looks like it has excellent cooling and a good price.

I got an Asus G75VW-TS71.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2355975&CatId=4935

I also bought an Intel 240 GB Solid State drive and just replaced the one that came with that laptop. I downloaded an official image of Windows 7, burned it to a DVD and installed it fresh on the SSD, using the Windows product key that came with the copy that came with the computer (on a sticker on the bottom of the case) in order to activate it. That required a call to Microsoft's automated activation system but it was quick and easy.

I'm probably going to take the hard drive that came with the laptop and put it in my old Toshiba laptop, replacing that hard drive because it's so slow (only 4200 RPM) and do a clean install of Windows on that. It should make the old Toshiba a little faster with a HD in it that's 1200 RPM faster. Then I'll give that to Mrs. Bear because her old desktop is getting flaky with random blue screens of death. I think it has some bad memory.

I like the new laptop. It's so fast, especially with the SSD in it. I haven't really pushed it but it has handled Bulletstorm (I even turned on anti-aliasing) and Orcs Must Die 2 with no slowdowns whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 12:03:24 AM PST
Finger says:
Yeah, I think that at the very least I'll have to replace those blue LED fans; I'm not a New Orleans pimp. Frys electronics near my house has the slightly newer version with USB 3.0 in stock for $46 after rebate so I think I may as well. This is the third time I've been in this exact same place. First power supply wasn't modular, I sent it back. First case I bought was too small for my needs, I sent it back. Hopefully I'll have my PC build completed by 2018.

Wow, thats a hell of a laptop! With an i-7, 12 gigs of ram and that Nvidia gpu, it looks like you'll be all set for a long time. Very nice! Congrats, I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. And I'm sure the SSD would give you a huge boost too. That was a really good idea. Hopefully with the HDD exchange your Toshiba will give Mrs Bear a couple of more years of hassle free use.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 12:10:42 AM PST
Modern Bear says:
It sounds like your PC project is turning into a pain. At least there is no rush unless you need to return something and too long has passed to do so. I didn't feel like going through all this anymore, which is why I decided to just go with a laptop even if it costs more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 12:18:11 AM PST
Finger says:
It definitely got on my nerves for awhile, I was frustrated by how many little (but important) details there were to re-learn. But I think I'm back on track now and with the holiday shopping season here I think I'm in a good spot to take advantage of some good deals on components. Its become a mission for me. Though I will admit, there were more than a few days when I wanted to just give in and telephone Dell...

Oh, and your laptop vents out the back. Smart! Mine always starts to roast my left hand after about an hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 12:31:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 12:43:35 AM PST
Modern Bear says:
The cooling system is what made me decide on Asus over Toshiba for a gaming laptop. The current Toshiba ones vent out the right side, which makes no sense if people put a mouse right next to it, since 90% of people are right handed. The Asus one has 2 fans and they have little round metal mesh filters to keep dust from clogging up the fans. All you have to do is take the bottom off, slide the filters out, clean them and pop them back in. The bottom even comes off easy with only 1 screw holding it in place, and then using something thin (I use a plastic putty knife) to pry it open. It snaps open and closed with little effort.

My old Toshiba laptop has over a dozen screws to take out of various sizes, which makes it a pain because you have to keep the screws organized by their letter designation or putting them back in will be trial and error.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 12:41:00 AM PST
Finger says:
Yeah, little details like that make all the difference. A small, easily accessible filter and an ehhaust port that isn't blowing right at an appendage... is that so hard?

I'm not terribly surprised to hear that ASUS is making these design improvements. I've been hearing more and more positive things about their laptops for the past few years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 12:48:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 12:50:19 AM PST
Modern Bear says:
I am certainly quite satisfied with it so far. It did cost me quite a bit for the laptop and SSD drive but I wanted to get something that would hold me over for 3-4 years, not be obsolete in 1-2.

Also, I'm never go back to a standard hard drive again now I've seen the SSD in action. It significantly improves bootup/shutdown time, how fast programs launch, and even full system virus scans. This computer scans in 10-12 minutes. My old one took 45-50 minutes. It's not totally a fair comparison because this also has a faster CPU too but I bet it would still take 30+ if I had used the hard drive that came with it instead. Plus you don't have to defrag it, and in fact aren't supposed to. Intel has a tool you can download to optimize their SSDs, plus check it for any problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 1:00:22 AM PST
Finger says:
I'm sold on a SSD as well. When I bought my laptop 18 months ago SSDs were still far too expensive, but their cost has really been coming down lately. I tried out a friends SSD equipped laptop and was stunned at the difference. And we have fairly similar processors and specs. Just the startup time was enough to convince me. Mine seems to take about 3 minutes, his took about 20 seconds.

I've seen some good ones from Samsung and OCZ that people seem to think very highly of. I haven't looked at Intel SSDs, they used to be outrageously expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 1:27:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 1:42:05 AM PST
Modern Bear says:
The Intel SSDs are still more expensive than other brands but I went with them because I read that their 520 series ones were some of the best you can buy. I wanted to make sure I got a good reliable one that wouldn't give me problems. Apparently they designed their own firmware with it in order to help make up for some of the shortcomings of other firmware solutions that are used. That's pretty important because the drive optimize themselves, doing a kind of reverse defrag by spreading the data out among all the flash memory, so that each chip gets equal wear put on it from all the writing. I guess there were some issues with SSDs a few years ago revolving around data integrity and how efficient they would be after prolonged use.

I was also impressed with Intel's SSD tool (which I downloaded before I even bought it) with it's ease of use with manual optimization, firmware updates, and changing Windows settings to be proper for SSD usage (have to disable some services in Windows). I figured it would be worth spending a little more for the peace of mind.

This is the one I bought by the way:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1938368&CatId=5300

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 1:44:31 AM PST
Finger says:
Hmm, I'm glancing at them now and they don't seem to be much more than their competitors anymore. A bit more, but the difference doesn't really seem huge unless you're looking at huge capacity drives, and they're all very expensive anyway. It probably is worth a bit extra for the peace of mind; Often when I try to 'save' a few bucks by buying cheaper items/brands I regret it. End up with a lot of frustration and paying extra for repair or replacement in the end.

Shows how much I know... I didn't even know Windows needed to treat SSDs differently. Ha!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 1:54:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 2:00:27 AM PST
Modern Bear says:
Yes, Windows settings are important. First you should not defrag SSDs manually, and you want to make sure Windows doesn't do it automatically either. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 automatically turns off auto defragging with SSDs. This is because you want the data spread out over all the memory chips on the SSD, not bunched up together like is preferable with regular hard drives. It lowers the wear and tear on the flash memory because each chip is written to less if it's all spread out. All modern SSDs have circuits that do this automatically.

You also need to disable the prefetch and superfetch features of Windows, turn off hibernation in power settings, and some people suggest changing your Windows Virtual Memory to a fixed size so it doesn't grow and shrink, which I did. There are a lot of other suggestions I didn't follow because some just seem ridiculous. The Intel tool I downloaded handle all of this except for the Virtual memory thing, which I did myself and set it's min and max size to equal my system memory. I have so much memory on the laptop anyway that I bet it barely ever uses any virtual memory, if at all.

The one good thing is that nowadays flash memory used in SSDs is much better than just a few years ago, and can handle way more writes than it used to be able to.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Weekly Gaming: 6/26-6/29 29 2 minutes ago
Phil Spencer comments on Titanfall 2 being able to hit 6K on Xbox One X 21 18 minutes ago
Playstation Mid Year Sale 8 27 minutes ago
Weekly Hardware Chart 15th April 2017, PS4 Overtakes Switch For #1 While Xbox One S Struggles To Remain Relevant 20 30 minutes ago
12 Games in 12 Months 2017 Edition 277 35 minutes ago
Far Cry 5 Free PS4 Dynamic Theme Released on PlayStation Store 4 1 hour ago
Original Xbox Backwards Wishlist 5 4 hours ago
Microsoft Are In Danger Of Becoming The Arse hole Friend That No One Really Likes 3 4 hours ago
SNES Classic Announced 54 4 hours ago
More 180's Incoming! Where's the High Fidelity VR on Xbox One X Everyone Was Promised? 3 4 hours ago
Ghost Blade HD - Limited Physical Copy From Play-Asia 1 7 hours ago
Adddictions: What do you wish you could quit or lessen 11 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.