Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning britboxlaunch britboxlaunch britboxlaunch  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 401-425 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 11:55:32 AM PST
Yeah, that is sort of how I've seen it. Minus the whole angel thing, I always pictured if there was a heaven it would be something more made from our own memories than anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 11:55:40 AM PST
Nightmare says:
I tend to think that the gift of knowledge refers to being able to know things supernaturally that you otherwise couldn't know. Maybe you're right, but I don't see why teaching would become useless.

But what do you think Paul is referring to when he says prophecy?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 11:57:44 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
The ability to express the will of God. Pretty much the definition of the word, and what you can see prophets throughout the entire chronological history of the old and new testament doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:01:36 PM PST
haha, good one

priests are sick

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:05:14 PM PST
Nightmare says:
First, there was never some obligation to take slaves in the first place, so your point that I should have slaves makes no sense. Second, Those rules applied during the times when the Old Covenant was in place with the Jews. With the New Covenant things have changed. Although slavery is still not sinful in the New Covenant, we aren't to take slaves of unbelievers either. The Jews were God's chosen people and the rules governing them were different. They were under stricter laws than we are under the New Covenant and God's standards for them were different. The New Testament acknowledges that a Christian can be a slave owner, but I doubt in those times (when Jews were anything but free as they were under the Roman Empire) any of those slaves were from unbelieving nations for the sake of them being unbelievers. More than likely by New Testament times slaves became slaves from conquest (something Christians wouldn't do in the first place) or because of punishment for a crime.

So, again, my views don't contradict the Bible. And since you are in agreement that morals can change with society, time, and place, do you agree that slavery could be morally justified given 99% of a population thinking it's ok?

And, no, my morals wouldn't change if I moved to Syria. That would be extremely contradictory of me considering that I believe there are absolute morals that apply at all times and all places.

"Did you major in this or something? You're really into it."

It's more of a hobby. I enjoy religion, philosophy, and debate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:08:03 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Ok, I agree that people no longer get direct contact from God to express his will in that way, but I also believe Paul is saying that believers will no longer be able to foretell events of the future (such as the book of Revelation. Prophecies such as these are no longer going to be given to individuals anymore until the end times when the two prophets will be sent to warn the nations of what is to come).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:10:19 PM PST
I understand your point...but where is the evidence? Please cite your source(s) of a species (or multiple species) that developed faster than humans because they didn't have religion. Go ahead, I'll wait. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:11:39 PM PST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:12:05 PM PST
So is science.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:12:32 PM PST
King?

Please. Economics is a god.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:13:38 PM PST
What about a cereal rapist?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:14:23 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
"But let me ask you this question. Is abortion ever morally justified?"

According to everything you wrote just prior to this sentence, not only is it justified - it can be shown to be immoral to allow a child to live.

Honestly - have you ever really thought about the logic that brings you to the conclusion that it was ok to kill an entire people - including children - because their reward after death is better than anything that could have happened in their lives here? Do you truly believe that?

Imagine what you're saying. Imagine a child standing before you, begging and crying for her life after you have murdered her parents. Would you really be able to go through with killing that child - with looking them in the eye and murdering them as they panic and cry? Do you honestly think that's better for them than simply letting them live and maybe working out your differences with their people through words or compromise? Would you be able to go through with that murder and feel better about yourself during and afterwards - that you've done a morally just thing? Would you truly never regret it - actually, would you truly feel happy that you had delivered this screaming child to a "better place" - a place where she gets to live out eternity with the very being that ordered her family and her to die because they were proclaimed evil?

That's moral to you? Honestly?

I think when you truly think about it, you're going to have to bring more to the table than just "a book said it, so it must be". When I think of that situation, I'm feeling God move my heart NOT to accept that as a moral thing - no matter what some man thousands of years ago thinks God told him to write. I'm willing to stand before God in judgement and explain that I see him as good and just, and that given everything else in the Bible and in what I know about him, I just could not see the "good" in taking part in what I described above.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:15:42 PM PST
lol, that guy chucking his trash

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:19:43 PM PST
What about people who never heard of Jesus?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:20:30 PM PST
I love when someone tries to debate you regarding this stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:21:49 PM PST
Joel H. says:
They're living in some jungle type setting. Might be the way to go..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:22:33 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Heathens. Sinners. Kill em. WAIT! Convert em, but if they fail conversion; kill em.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:23:40 PM PST
Nightmare says:
"According to everything you wrote just prior to this sentence, not only is it justified - it can be shown to be immoral to allow a child to live."

How does anything I've said imply such a thing?

As far as your example, no doubt it would be challenging to be one of the Israelites at that time. However, I don't know what all the circumstances were at the time, and I don't know what the Bible exactly means when God said that the Canaanites had to fulfill their wickedness before the Jews took the land (paraphrase obviously). What I do know is this--as a Christian, I believe that God is the author of everything including what is moral, and that he is a benevolent God. And again, God can easily reward someone more than sufficiently in the afterlife to make up for any pain and suffering on this earth. But murder is still wrong. The only reason this was justified was because the moral authority was given the Jews by God himself (just like capital punishment is not murder because it involves moral authority).

But since you think it's so clear that the Bible's teachings are wrong (at least in certain instances), what is the alternative viable moral authority that you appeal to to decide what is right and wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:23:57 PM PST
Ned Flanders says:
I'm not here to discuss what is "fair". I am just telling you what the Bible says.

Notice in your analogy that both men receive the same punishment if they do not line up with God's law "Thou shall not steal".

While the law of man creates the difference between the two men punishments. I would suspect because God sees all.

The beautiful thing about God is He does not condem either one if they accept Jesus and follow his two commandments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:25:02 PM PST
"That would be extremely contradictory of me considering that I believe there are absolute morals that apply at all times and all places."

Which morals are those?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:26:59 PM PST
loan them money, make the interest super high to the point they starve trying to pay it back, promise them that if they accept Jesus we will feed them

Economics Baby!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:29:33 PM PST
"I think that when God told the Israelites to kill all of the Canaanites, they did the right thing. I believe that God's benevolence will result in the greatest good coming from this, because like I said earlier, if the reward for any pure innocents that might have been killed by God's decree is great in heaven, then it works out for the best. I would much rather have bountiful blessings in heaven (which is eternal) than on earth (which is very fleeting in comparison)."

That certainly could imply that allowing a child to live a bad life is, in fact, immoral.

"what is the alternative viable moral authority that you appeal to to decide what is right and wrong?"

I don't hurt other people unnecessarily. That is the only reasonable definition of sin.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012, 12:29:34 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
This is the holidays. This is no time to talk about Jesus people. I mean, Jesus, people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:37:02 PM PST
Ned Flanders says:
I am not ashamed to admit that I am not sure.

I worry for the people that have heard about Jesus yet deny Him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 12:39:14 PM PST
define "deny".
I haven't seen anyone live the way he wants us to.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
'Cuphead' is as wondrous as it is difficult 2 1 minute ago
Microsoft sells out pre-orders for new Xbox One X ‘Project Scorpio Edition’ 20 2 minutes ago
Ouch! First In-Game Screenshot Xbox One X Vs PS Pro Comparision Show Extra Foliage And Crisper Picture In The PS Pro Version, Xbox One X version's Framrate Drops Significantly. 13 4 minutes ago
One X will launch with twice as many supported titles than PS4 Pro currently has 3 6 minutes ago
ot: can y'all shut up for second so we can talk about Game of Thrones? 23 7 minutes ago
Destiny1.5 VGF Clan v10.0/ 2668 20 minutes ago
Night Trap 4 31 minutes ago
Activision Support 4 40 minutes ago
microsoft did nothing but disappoint: gamescom 2017 press conference 25 1 hour ago
Is Killzone the worst FPS franchise of all-time? 12 1 hour ago
OT: Who poured red paint on Christopher Columbus' statue? 18 1 hour ago
Gamescom 2017: Here's Your First Look at PS4 Console Exclusive Shenmue III 2 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.