Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U approaching Vita sales levels in Japan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 161 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 16, 2013, 9:40:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013, 9:43:35 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The PS3 may as well not even existed before the trophy system and the Dual Shock 3 . By then, nearing MGS4, it was looking like something built to compete.

It didn't start looking like a conceptualized, complete system well into 2008. Sixaxis as a selling feature crashed and burned pretty hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:43:30 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:44:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013, 9:48:13 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
You were living in 'last gen', along with the PS2 and rumble. $600 for last gen, say what? With ports that first year that looking between PS2 and X360 quality?

Keeps it real. I dont like looking back at that year, it was borderline insulting coming from the PS2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:46:35 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
And don't forget that in-game XMB and messaging didn't exist at first, either. Trying to play a game with friends online was a logistical nightmare.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:46:39 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"The PS3 may as well not even existed before the trophy system and the Dual Shock 3 . By then, nearing MGS4, it was looking like something built to compete."

I'm sorry, mayo...you're a cool dude and I respect you, but this is a totally asinine statement. Vibration and trophies do not a good game make. I find it hard to believe that anyone can say with a straight face that games like Resistance FoM, R&C Tools of Destruction and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune were not fantastic games because they lacked trophies and a vibrating controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:46:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013, 9:49:22 AM PST
No, without built-in Wi-Fi, no Blu-Ray and in some cases no HDMI, it's clear who was living in last-genland.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:52:05 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Not all of the games really were that amazing to behold from the Xbox -> 360. It was very reminiscent of what the WiiU is going through right now.

Tony Hawks American Wasteland was almost an exact port, Gun featured some better Texture work and FoV (because of widescreen), but it didn't really bother to upgrade much else, NHL2K6 I think was another wasted effort.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:52:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013, 10:03:50 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Neither of those in that time stopped me from getting internet to my machine, (watching $35 movies? Ok) or wanting to buy a new controller after being told 'it was ''last gen' 'try this sixaxis instead its the futurez'(meanwhile hiding a lawsuit)....and then flipping the script.

It was a raw time to be an early adopter, its ok you guys justified your loyalty. But it was just that...raw.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:54:06 AM PST
Sales were going to drop because week 2 of a new year is historically a slow shopping period in Japan for video games. Add in the fact that the only notable release between January first and mid-February is Tank! Tank! Tank!, a free-to-play game which was never going to be a system seller and yeah, you're pretty much guaranteed a big drop.

At the end of the day the Wii U is still tracking ahead of the PS3, Vita, Gamecube and the 360 in Japan. I'm just saying that Nintendo should be concerned. When you lose sales momentum it can be a bitch to get it back and if the rumors are true about new systems launching this year then Nintendo doesn't want to have to be in a position of regaining momentum while the new systems come out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:57:05 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Being a PS3 owner in 2006 to early 2007 was a pretty rough experience...

I picked up a 60GB launch unit, and didn't actually purchase a game until Folklore came out. Blockbuster and the other local rental chain didn't mind though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 9:58:34 AM PST
What exactly is the joke here?

Are you implying that the Wii U can't run Unreal Engine 4? That wouldn't be true because it can run on a phone.

Are you referring to the fact that Epic doesn't have plans to port it's UE4 games to Wii U? That doesn't block other developers from using UE4 in Wii U games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 10:00:00 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Fight Night Round 3 on 360 was friggin' incredible, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 10:02:33 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Its refreshing to hear someone admit that.

I love my PS3, but no one is going to convince me that launch was anything short of a doozey.

The Wii U , aside sales, looks a much more polished, market ready product than the PS3 launched as. For a machine with Wifi out of the box , that mainly benefitted Bluray updates, PS3 had NO VISION in regards to its online either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 10:05:02 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I bought a PS3 in Summer of 2007 and a 360 in Spring 2009... if I could go back in time, I definitely would have switched that order.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 10:05:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013, 10:06:46 AM PST
I don't know about those games, but Need for Speed Most Wanted was a big upgrade. If nothing else the resolution upgrade was massive. Fight Night was superb too. :)

"Lyrick_ says:
Being a PS3 owner in 2006 to early 2007 was a pretty rough experience..."

This, that is all I said. From there things spiraled a bit out of control. Nice statement. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 10:08:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013, 10:10:05 AM PST
I agree with the HDMI and wifi part, I'd also personally add 20 gb HDD in there, given it should have been at least 40 gb. But bluray, who cares? Bluray has no impact on quality of game. Bluray is wonderful for movies, but I couldn't care less about it when concerning games. Now that bluray players are $40 at Walmart, having playback ability in a console is not a selling point anymore. Not too mention streaming, like it or not, is the future. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 10:10:07 AM PST
A customer says:
Vibration is everything Garebear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 11:12:43 AM PST
I do disagree about the importance of blu-ray disc games on one point. That is mainly storage, like with big world games like Star Ocean and Final Fantasy XIII and a few others which were multiple disc on the 360 but just one disc on the PS3. Though other then that annoyance overall gameplay wasn't any different between the two on either the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013, 11:16:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013, 11:16:35 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Blu-ray has absolutely nothing to do with how expansive a game is or how good it looks. It's nothing but a storage medium. Uncharted 2 would've been just as fantastic if it were on three DVD's as opposed to one Blu-ray disc.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013, 11:18:53 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Getting up to change discs every time I wanted to switch between side missions and the main story in Mass Effect 3 sucked.

Just sayin'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 11:20:17 AM PST
That wasn't really the point I was trying to make. The point was that instead of having to change a disc during gameplay the blu-ray negated that problem by having the entire game on one single disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 11:21:14 AM PST
Sure, but a game system can have larger disks and no have bluray playback. See the U for details. I for one don't need my consoles to play movies, I just don't. Not when streaming is 90% of what I watch anymore. :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013, 12:33:53 PM PST
M. McFly says:
Seriously Flores. Your beloved ps3 packaged a blu ray movie spiderman instead of a game while the 360 was giving 2 GAMES with there system. I know you can't remember history clearly but Sony was in the middle of trying to win a fomat war and gamez was no where near a priority for them. MSFT made the genius move of backing HD DVD knowing it wasnt going to win but instead it extended the battle that kept Sony focused on dvd's instead of games. MFST had nothing to lose and lost nothing win blu eventually won.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 1:13:57 PM PST
>>MSFT made the genius move of backing HD DVD<<

I lol'd

Posted on Jan 16, 2013, 1:18:11 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Man, this reminded me of all of those epic BluRay vs HD-DVD arguments that used to be on here. I still remember people defending HD-DVD until the bitter end not wanting to admit defeat even after all the studio's abandoned it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Sony Ships Another Half Million PlayStation VR Headsets, Dominates Competition 27 7 hours ago
Red Dead Redemption 2 new trailer coming 28 september, 11AM ET 7 7 hours ago
Police seek 'mad pooper' woman jogger who's defecating shamelessly on people's front lawns 11 7 hours ago
the best multiplayer game ever is... 7 7 hours ago
OT: Week 3 NFL picks 22 8 hours ago
So uhh....My left JoyCon isn't connecting to my Switch now 3 8 hours ago
First trailer for Tomb Raider movie 16 8 hours ago
Mountain Dew and Doritos Giving Away Xbox One X Consoles Every 60 Seconds Soon 21 8 hours ago
Crash Bandicoot PS4 has already sold over 2.5 million units 0 8 hours ago
Digital Foundry Forza 7 Demo Comparison 3 8 hours ago
Amazon is withholding physical copies of games to prevent preorder discount 103 8 hours ago
Xbox X pre-orders back for the 2nd time and the X roars to #1 in less than a day curbstomping the Pro once again. 80 9 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  161
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.