Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U won't have a universal achievements system

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 13, 2012, 5:10:25 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013, 5:32:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012, 4:55:23 AM PST
The thing I find funny about Xbox's Achievments (I don't know if this is true for PS3 I never looked it up) Is that it is VERy strict. A games DLC has to haev a certain amount of points in it, and there is a maximum amount of points allowed. This may have changed in the past few years but it still seems silly...

Posted on Nov 13, 2012, 12:52:45 AM PST
Jacob Dyer says:
Great. So when I'm playing on it I won't get little messages like "You got the you saved the dog achievement" or "you killed Lord Draconis achievement!".

I guess that's one more thing in its favor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 12:20:49 AM PST
Nicos says:
Yeah, I was looking at the Gotham City Impostors and they have so many Steam Achievements, it is nuts. Basically all the weapon/item/perk challenges (similar to how CoD does them) also counts as a Steam Achievement.

Anyway, it is a shame that they don't have them. Personally I think it is a missed opportunity for them to unlock/do stuff in the Miiverse.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 12:33:44 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Actually developer initiated achievements work pretty well with Steam per game. I don't believe there is an overall counter like a Gamerscore or Trophy count, instead each game has it's own % for trophies. Each game adds in however many trophies they want, or none at all, and it works well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 12:32:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012, 12:33:51 PM PST
I did, this has been common knowledge for a while now. I find it personally disappointing. I like trophies/acheviements.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 12:32:13 PM PST
FOGE says:
I agree with this. They need to all work together. You cant have a Ubisoft cheevo system and then a EA system. And you cant have games give 10,000 points when others give 100. It needs to be standardized.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 12:27:58 PM PST
My thoughts on the matter:

The games should be allowed to not have achievements/trophies/whatever you call them if they don't want them but if they do they should have a standardized system in place like MS, Sony, and Steam does. If you are gonna have it in a game you might as well do it right.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 11:53:34 AM PST
Technosapien says:
Not a deal-breaker at all, but it does kinda suck.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 9:22:32 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I love and hate this. Sometimes I wish I can just play a game without worrying about missing a trophy or achievement, but I'm so used to them and enjoy them for the most part it would definitely be a weird change.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 9:15:41 AM PST
saskamazon says:
I had never experienced trophies prior to my PS3 purchase last year, but I must say, they're a nice addition to the gaming experience ... I'm disappointed to hear the Wii U will not have them .... by now they should be aware that lots of gamers appreciate having them .... it's not a deal breaker for me, but I don't consider it good news for the new console.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 9:08:53 AM PST
GOOD! Maybe they will be used correctly (i.e. Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Kid Icarus: Uprising)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 8:04:31 AM PST
Benpachi says:
If they do patch in some sort of achievement system, I think it would be brilliant to have it linked to Club Nintendo so you can get coins from achievements.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 8:02:16 AM PST
R.Typ0 says:
A bit swing and miss for the stubborn N.

The games they make, platformers & Mario Kart, are perfect for an addictive coin/accomplishment system. I agree with Punk that they will likely patch this in later, it's possible they just didn't have time to implement it fully, ala the 3DS launch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 7:57:22 AM PST
Hey, Lego games are great!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 7:54:24 AM PST
Dwayne Hicks says:
Sad to say but trophies play a major roll in my gaming now. I only have set time to play now that I'm a little older and I have slowly found myself not wanting to "waste" my gaming time without either ranking up in Gears 3 multi or going after a Plat on ps3. I only play games that I want to play though not trying to plat like a ton of lego games and hannah monatana and terminator salvation just to up my total. I have 20 plats right now and I have liked every one of these games except Resistance Burning Skies which was awful IMO.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 7:46:59 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2012, 7:47:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 7:39:01 AM PST
Pretty much what I've always said.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 7:37:00 AM PST
Bobbum Man says:
*insert hipster witty remark about how achievements are so lame and no one likes them*

There's no reason NOT to have them. They don't get in the way of people who don't enjoy them and are a nice bonus for those that do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 7:02:22 AM PST
nope...well not officially.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 6:54:58 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Didn't we know this already?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 6:52:03 AM PST
I guess I should have said "It might behoove Nintendo to patch them in later" since there is a subset of gamers who will not play games without them.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 6:50:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012, 6:53:42 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Trophies and Achievements are not an innovation. They are a subtle ploy by developers/publishers to get more life out of games that would be otherwise shelved after completion (if the gamer ever got that far) and of course the more time you spend with a game the more likely you are to purchase DLC for that game. Nintendo not adopting this doesn't really effect me one way or the other. A system not being in place wouldn't make me stop and say "hey, where are my Nintenpoints?." If there was a system in place, then I would largely ignore it like I do now. I don't play games just for achievements/trophies now. The 3DS doesn't have them, and that system isn't doomed. There are some games that do have them, and they reward the player with in game items, not with some arbitrary score that can only be measured against other gamers and has no real value.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 6:47:46 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I don't know... Nintendo's history with online shows they don't really "get it," and they tend to stick by their guns. I suspect we won't see cheevos on their system this generation.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 6:41:44 AM PST
This to me is a pretty big miss for Nintendo, and I suspect they may end up patching them in later a la Trophies. People do want these things, and expect them these days, and I think Nintendo isn't understanding that.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Only one console on the market capable of "TRUE 4K" Destiny 2, bois! PS4 Greatness! 2 31 minutes ago
Huge Xbox losses hidden by patent royalties, Microsft lost 2 billion in the Xbox division. 7 31 minutes ago
Nintendo Switch impressions 408 1 hour ago
A simple question about Bloodborne 78 2 hours ago
More bad PR for Sony, their censorship has gone too far 12 3 hours ago
Axiom Verge up for preorders 8 3 hours ago
Xbox Business Is Growing Profitably, Says Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella causing a D meltdown. 27 4 hours ago
What 3 games do you care most about in the near future? 44 5 hours ago
this lack of xbox exclusives is a bad decision by microsoft 2 5 hours ago
PS4 and Switch Sales Are Revitalizing the Console Market 1 6 hours ago
Weekend Gaming 7/21-7/23 24 6 hours ago
Avengers infinity war trailer 6 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.