Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: School Shooting in Connecticut

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 500 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 1:17:33 PM PST
This time I wasn't even trying to be annoying, but thanks for the compliment.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 1:29:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 1:30:35 PM PST
I have a quick question for gun owners, his handguns which is all he apparently used, what is the typical magazine capacity? I read he fired 100 plus rounds, I am curious how many times he had to reload. Thanks in advance for helping me learn. Oh and how much time does it take to reload? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 1:33:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 2:07:48 PM PST
States with restrictive gun laws typically only allow 10 round magazines for pistols. Outside of those, I've seen 15, 20, even 30 round magazines for sale for 9mm pistols. Not sure what Conneticutt's laws were, but California's are 10 rounds max only.

So a guy with a 20/30 round pistol mag, while bulky and cumbersome to use, would be able to put out a lot of rounds. That crazy guy who shot up Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona was using (I think?) a 20 or 30 round Mag for his Glock.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 1:35:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 1:37:31 PM PST
So it varies quite a bit then. Buying extra magazines is possible? Most of what I know about guns is from videogames, I am a huge fisherman, never tried hunting. :).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 1:45:47 PM PST
Yup very much so. Depending on the model of the gun, the mags can actually be quite cheap. My Sig Saur P226 9mm mags range for about 15 bucks each, and that's with California Prices, and there's pretty much no limit on how many you can buy or where you can order them. Pretty much as long as they're following current mag-limit laws, you can even buy mags online or even on ebay!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 1:50:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 1:51:21 PM PST
Thanks very much for the assistance. I am hoping to continue to learn more on the subject. I have a feeling guns will continue to be a hot topic, I don't want to take a stance without a better understanding. I wouldn't want somebody who has never fished and knows nothing about it making regulations. I figure I owe gun owners the same type of respect, when the day probably comes when it is on the ballot in some shape way or form. Have a great day. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 1:56:45 PM PST
10-15 round magazines are pretty much the standard for 9mm handguns. 20-30 round mags are available, they're just more cumbersome and awkward to use. Reload is seconds; like 5-10 if that.

Those were nice guns too. Sig-Sauer is my favorite manufacturer of semi automatic handguns. Glocks are well made guns as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 2:04:24 PM PST
Not a problem, glad to help! I hope this incident doesn't cause too much knee jerk reaction in either direction. I'm all for responsible gun ownership, and I just hope that we can come to a long term solution that helps us resolve the source of these incidents. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 2:17:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 2:18:08 PM PST
Overall I lean away from gun control and more security. I still think crazy people like this have to be throwing up warning signs all over the place. I am more interested in the warning signs and why they were potentially ignored more than anything. Though I worry I am too idealistic and the situation isn't that simple. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 2:43:06 PM PST
Agreed, short of a massive overhaul in our country's handling of mental illness issues, (which I do believe was the root cause of this whole tragedy) I can only imagine things like this will happen again, especially in a bad economy, it can only happen again.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 3:16:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 3:17:15 PM PST
I don't think there really is a solution to public shootings like this. Other then folks just being more aware and vigilant of people around them. If you know someone who is acting crazy, say something about it to the authorities. But even that isn't going to solve the problem. And more gun control is just laughable. The most unsafe place you can be is in a gun free area. Because all that means is that law biding citizens will be unarmed while criminals will be armed....ya know...since they don't obey the law.

I don't want to sound like one of those "MORE GUNS" people, but it does make sense to me to level the playing field, so to speak. If an armed robber knew that everyone around them had a concealed weapon it probably would prevent a lot of petty crimes. But then there will always be those people, like this guy who shot up the school, who want to die, and will kill as many people as possible no matter what. I guess we're all screwed no matter what. Take away guns.....people are gonna die. Add more guns....people are gonna die.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 3:34:55 PM PST
AndrewA says:
There are some common sense things we can do, like standard full background checks, and possibly some sort of psych evaluations.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 3:37:56 PM PST
Good points all around. I'm definitely for better background checks, and a psych profile wouldn't be a bad idea either, but implementing it sounds like a logistical nightmare. The military is just catching up with the workload of handling returning soldiers with PTSD, so I'm leery of just how effective these "screenings" would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 3:43:01 PM PST
AndrewA says:
That's why I'm not as sure about the psych evaluations. I don't think the background checks should be a problem at all tho

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 3:56:45 PM PST
Full background checks are supposed to be performed prior to buying a pistol in many states.

Gun shows, however, have too many "private" parking lot sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 4:00:34 PM PST
I'm not sure how you would implement psych evaluation's, though. Would people who commit a violent crime be required to see a shrink every year? Or would everyone need to be evaluated? I could see some poor harmless bastard who just really hates his job or current situation being flagged as a potential mass murderer. But yeah, I do agree that simple common sense measures would be more effective then the government adding a thousand new laws to the books and stripping us of more of our rights.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 5:01:47 PM PST
FOGE says:
The Bushmaster rifle he used typically holds 30 rounds. It's possible he had a 100 round Mag but those are expensive and cumbersome. 9mm handguns are typically around 15 per mag. It varies. My Springfield XDM 9mm holds 20.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 5:33:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 5:34:41 PM PST
He didn't use a rifle. It was in the trunk of the car the entire time.

He used the glock and the sig, but I heard this morning there were other guns hidden around the school?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 5:52:17 PM PST
Many states have laws that bar anyone who has been admitted to a psych ward, for any reason, from purchasing a firearm. I was hospitalized for depression a couple of years ago and they explained to me when I was admitted that it would mean I would no longer be able to buy a gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 6:01:13 PM PST
FOGE says:
Ah my mistake. I stopped watching last night. I was too sickened.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 6:11:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 6:12:21 PM PST
No problem. I originally thought it was all with a rifle as well until I heard the update.

Not sure why someone downvoted you though, lol.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 6:44:41 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 15, 2012, 6:56:09 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 7:01:05 PM PST
I think it's going to be a few weeks before we all know exactly why and how this all went down. The idea that he had guns hidden around the school seems unlikely to me. Every hour the story is changing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 7:34:43 PM PST
More than that, some of the time the person using the gun isn't the owner of the gun, so how can you regulate the family of said person, don't give guns to anyone with an Emo child or a creepy brother in law?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 9:19:16 PM PST
Hmm, someone was butthurt about something I said, and I can't even remember what it was. A shame, really.

The right people never die in these things. Douchebags live forever while innocents get murdered. No fair.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Only one console on the market capable of "TRUE 4K" Destiny 2, bois! PS4 Greatness! 2 31 minutes ago
Huge Xbox losses hidden by patent royalties, Microsft lost 2 billion in the Xbox division. 7 32 minutes ago
Nintendo Switch impressions 408 1 hour ago
A simple question about Bloodborne 78 2 hours ago
More bad PR for Sony, their censorship has gone too far 12 3 hours ago
Axiom Verge up for preorders 8 3 hours ago
Xbox Business Is Growing Profitably, Says Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella causing a D meltdown. 27 4 hours ago
What 3 games do you care most about in the near future? 44 5 hours ago
this lack of xbox exclusives is a bad decision by microsoft 2 5 hours ago
PS4 and Switch Sales Are Revitalizing the Console Market 1 6 hours ago
Weekend Gaming 7/21-7/23 24 6 hours ago
Avengers infinity war trailer 6 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  500
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.