Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Video Production forum

Need a reliable video capture device (external) to use with 64-bit Vista

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on May 6, 2009, 10:30:26 AM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2009, 8:32:01 AM PST
bodotdot says:
Looking to find a good entry-level video capture device to use with my new PC. I'm running 64-bit Vista, so that rules out all of Pinnacle's "Dazzle" devices. What out there? A great deal of online item descriptions are fuzzy on their specs--they don't specifically say if they are compatible with my version of Vista. Is anyone out there currently using an external vdeo capture device with 64-bit Vista? Is it depndable? I have a lot of old 8mm camcorder tapes, and just want to edit and copy them onto DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009, 12:01:46 PM PST
Charlotte says:
Same here- Vista limits so here's the best info I found while researching -"ADS Tech Video Xpress" is for homegrown movies you wish to transfer to PC. There is no support for MPEG-2 for DVD level capture (just Mpeg-1/ but the price is only $59.99 . includes AutoProducer, which is a more complex editing tool and will let you string together your various captures into a more professional video. I FOUND THE BEST INFO on PCMAG.com (that may be the best place for you to start to ensure you're purchasing what you need. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1902901,00.asp (good luck)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2009, 8:39:12 AM PDT
I'm looking for the same thing. Online research at Pinnacle Systems shows a driver download to make some "Dazzler" devices compatible with 64-bit Vista. I'm leaning this way since I already own Pinnacle Studio Plus 12.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010, 9:09:01 AM PST
A/V Carl says:
I have a Diamond VC500 USB capture device worked very well with Ulead 10, bought Corel X12, X12 will not work with the VC500 driver installed. Had no luck contacting Diamond to see if a new driver is in the works. Anyone have a suggestion as to a good USB capture device that will work with X12

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2010, 8:40:52 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 26, 2011, 5:14:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 31, 2010, 1:02:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2010, 1:07:22 AM PST
forget about dazzle and all the other similar products out there and get the grass valley ADVC 110 video converter box..it uses a 6 pin firewire connection and works with pc or mac-windows 7- 32 or 64 bit..no drivers.. all you need is a capture program..it comes with a trial version of the edius neo 2 video editing program which is a great program except you need a fast system..but it will work with any program...I tried the pinnacle devices and the hauppauge internal cards and this device is the best...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010, 1:17:50 AM PST
if you have a 6 pin firewire input then use the grass valley ADVC 110 capture device...it has the best quality..I have had the pinnacle devices and there is no comparison..plus there are no drivers..works with 32-64 bit vista windows 7 or mac...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010, 10:41:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2010, 10:43:15 PM PST
CKC says:
I know the original post is well over a year old.

A very easier way to convert the analogue 8mm tapes is to play them through a Sony Digital8 camcorder and capture the DIGITAL output (in DV format) from the firewire port on the D8 camcorder to a firewire port on your computer. The Sony D8 camcorders will play the old analogue 8mm tapes and automatically do the digital conversion for output on the firewire port. Outputs on the S-Video and Composite ports of the D8 camcorder will still be analogue obviously. I have direct experience with the TRV740 and TRV840.

You can do the capture with Windows Movie Maker or any other video capture program that can capture through a firewire port. The resulting file will have a .AVI extension, internally the now digital video will be in DV format. You can then edit this AVI file using any video editor to render and burn to DVD.

Instead of capturing the digital output from the Sony D8 camcorder on a PC, you can burn it directly to DVD using a Sony DVDDirect VRD-VC20 (or VC30). The DVDDirect has a firewire port as one of its inputs and you just hook it up to the firewire port on the D8 camcorder. Load tape in camcorder. Load DVD-R in DVDDirect. Press play on the camcorder. Press record on theDVDDirect. Simple as that!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2010, 6:48:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2010, 6:58:20 AM PST
Barbecuecity says:
I agree, the EasyCap device is the answer to to almost any video device to computer transfer. Any device equipped with with a "video out" jack can be transferred to any computer with a USB port. After the initial hair pulling installation and research(as stated above) ,the device is fool proof, inexpensive, easy to hook up, transfer and stores in the space a bic lighter would occupy. It captures LIVE TV, copy right protected video & video tapes or DVDs, VHS, VHS-c, Super VHS, Super VHS-C, 8MM video tapes, Hi8's, miniDV, micro DV, SD card, 3mm DVDs, 8mm DVDs and any other format I have not listed- as long as player/device has video out or AV out jack(s). I think the device is mandatory for anyone with a camcorder, camera TV or computer. 5.5 of 5, a honest lifesaver of a device, highly recommended to any and every one!

OH YES, I almost forgot...my EasyCap also came with two different video editing programs. One(nameless here) even included the "grab it" feature. Meaning you can capture any video playing on your computer, including live web-cams. Just open the program, drag the frame of the broadcasting web-cam into the empty box, click record and boom! You are capturing live web-cam video. Could be a great application, especially a stealth type for recording evidence for uhh, leme see...maybe a divorce(wink, wink, LOL)!

Posted on Feb 7, 2010, 7:01:13 AM PST
Barbecuecity says:
Please see my comment for/in/under the prior post "'"ORTIZ says:""" for IMPORTANT money and life saving information. Relates to the EasyCap device!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010, 6:04:26 PM PST
W A Russ says:
Todd, does this product support Win 7? I could not find any information to indicate that it does. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 10:49:25 AM PST
dRock says:
I use Roxio VHS to Digital for converting VHS format. There is a cable that converts VHS standard component plugs to USB 2.0. Be sure to read the installation instructions CAREFULLY or you'll have to start over.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 11:28:05 AM PST
W A Russ says:
Thaks dRock. I have installed the Roxio easyVHS to DVD software but it sends me to a blue screen failure when I try to download video. I am running Win7 and it states Win7 compatible on the box. I am about to give up on Roxio and look for a stand alone capture device that will work with other software.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010, 2:00:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2010, 2:03:31 PM PST
Tim Rustige says:
The Easycap DC60+ will work with Windows 7 & Mac. The DC60 won't. Search Video-2-PC for a free FAQ pdf.

Posted on Aug 7, 2010, 8:59:51 PM PDT
Greg Woods says:
I had the Dazzle DVD Recorder and recorded countless hours of video from my vcr through windows movie maker on my windows xp machine. I'm less than satisfied with the quality as it is choppy and nearly unwatchable. My machine is an older HP with a 2.5 ghz processor and 1gb of ram. I'm not sure if it was because my machine is not more powerful or the device is not good quality, but I've been looking for a new way to capture my old vhs's.

I've been researching different video capture devices and I understand that firewire can transfer more data than usb. Therefore, would it make a noticeable difference to purchase the Canopus advc110 (which has firewire) compared to the easycap (with usb)? I also plan on using a newer machine for this transfer. I'm concerned mostly with the device. But $10 is a big difference from $205. If anybody has had experience with these devices, I'd like to know if their quality difference is worth the price difference.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Production forum (68 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Production forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers