Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Women's Fiction forum

fiction suggestions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 87 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012, 8:41:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012, 10:27:08 AM PST
d2jb says:
Before its was published, my book club read What We leave Behind by a new author, Rochelle B. Weinstein. We all loved it. It is about first love and just went on Amazon:

"In the summer of 1984, sixteen-year-old Jessica Parker remains lost and empty following the death of her father years earlier. She meets Jonas Levy, a twenty-two-year-old medical student, and the two begin an intense courtship that leaves Jessica breathless and wanting for more. But Jonas can't give her any more and his departure is abrupt and hurtful.

Jessica buries the pain of her youth and moves forward, finding professional success and love in a good, solid marriage. Unfortunately, that love is put to the test when a phone call from New York turns her life upside down. What shocking secret from her past could possibly threaten to destroy all she thought she knew and believed? At once heartwarming and heartbreaking, What We Leave Behind is the tale of every woman who has struggled with her past, loved for all the wrong reasons, and wondered what could have been."

Posted on Feb 19, 2012, 5:03:15 AM PST
Kate Baggott says:
I think you would enjoy anything by Anne Tyler, especially a book called St. Maybe.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012, 8:14:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012, 11:37:46 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 22, 2012, 3:35:32 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 1, 2012, 2:52:58 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 3, 2012, 8:33:35 AM PST
Jahzara says:
Love Don't Live Here Anymore What would you do if you woke up one morning and found out that your entire life was a lie? What would you do if you found out that your belief in keeping your enemies real close included keeping him in your bed? Read a story based on some true accounts of what a woman does when her world falls apart and the one she thought she could count on is the one behind the devastation. Love Don't Live Here Anymore by Jahzara Bradley will have you questioning what's real in this story and what's fiction.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012, 4:00:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012, 4:01:30 PM PST
Janice2286 says:
I downloaded Claudia Easton's The Masseuse (The Soiled Dove Series) a few days ago cause it was free. Surprised by how good it was & gonna try out the rest of the series now.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012, 12:59:50 PM PDT
N. Maddy says:
Hi,
May I take this moment to introduce to you my debut novel The Palm Oil Stain. An interesting read in aid of International Women's Day - the choices women make to survive war.The Palm Oil Stain is a brutal tale of a woman's journey of love and survival. Set against the backdrop of the Rebel War in Sierra Leone, Shalimar escapes an attack on her village assisted by a South African mercenary the locals call Chameleon. Displaced in Freetown, Shalimar devises a plan to return home to locate her family while forging an unlikely relationship with Chameleon whose alcoholic abuse has left him bereft of any emotion. Shalimar soon learns her predicament was brought about by the betrayal of those close to her. Shalimar's decision to risk the wrath of the Rebels in the abandoned villages in order to find her family changes the course of her and Chameleon's life forever. The Palm Oil Stain is a deeply moving love story that relays the harsh reality of war, betrayal and redemption.
Enjoy!

Posted on Mar 14, 2012, 11:24:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 17, 2012, 6:48:16 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012, 4:14:57 PM PDT
EnalS says:
House of Sand and Fog; The Dry Grass of August; South of Broad: A Novel; Full Dark, No Stars are just a few I think you will enjoy. Have a good rest!

Posted on Mar 18, 2012, 8:29:48 AM PDT
Pat Saxon says:
Prairie Hill

This is literary fiction with a sweet romance, and it's the best new book
I've read so far this year. If you are looking for great writing (as I was, after
reading Hunger Games and the Shades of Gray drivel), you'll find this book quite refreshing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012, 7:44:56 AM PDT
J.S. Kelley says:
"So Much for That" by Orange Prize winner Lionel Shriver. Like Dickens, she creates characters you care, writing novels of social awareness, that melt the sea of ice around your heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012, 7:25:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 20, 2012, 7:30:33 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 25, 2012, 8:34:10 AM PDT
nmgard says:
my new book, 'I'm Not This Girl' I'm Not This Girl just out on kindle- what they are saying: "a heartwarming tale of courage and redemption." "Gardner's writing is ridiculously addictive." You can also see all the great customer reviews for my first book, sherry & narcotics Sherry and Narcotics
(I'm Not This Girl is infinitely more exuberant & fun than Sherry, which was rather dark:-)
Hope you get at chance to check it out! Support a new young writer:-)
NinaXO
www.ninamariegardner.com

Posted on Mar 30, 2012, 6:57:51 AM PDT
A LIFE LIVED RIDICULOUSLY is a quick and easy read. I loved it and it has great reviews. Enjoy.A Life Lived Ridiculously

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012, 6:53:42 AM PDT
Margaret says:
"The Unexpected Life of Carnegie Lane" is a great book to read. The author has a couple of books published, so worth a look anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 10:07:24 AM PDT
Two Beautiful Daughters

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 12:05:48 PM PDT
gail says:
Recommendation for Books like the The Kitchen House and or The Crossroads Cafe, Could not put them down. I just got so wrapped up in both. I was wondering if there were any other books out there like these two.
Thank you for any help

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 12:28:41 PM PDT
Avid reader says:
Highly recommend The Crying Rose by B.A.Beers - Warning: carve out time for it - it is a real page turner - I was hooked from the first page. Great story line and characters!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012, 4:54:12 PM PDT
An Angry-Ass Black Woman

An Angry-Ass Black Woman is written by Karen E. Quinones Miller, the author of seven Essence Best Selling novels. The book retells the authors past while she is in a coma from brain surgery. The first chapter is available here: http://www.karenequinonesmiller.com/Angry%20Ass%20Black%20Woman.htm

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 4:04:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 14, 2012, 4:19:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 12, 2012, 9:04:48 AM PDT
My new book Branche Olive: Fleur de Lis weaves in and out of Olivia's life. She inserts herself in to other people's relationships yet cannot find the love she desparately needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012, 5:19:42 PM PDT
Try Seasons of the Vineyard by Catherine MacDonald. It's a romance with a strong female character. It's set in Northern California wine country. It was a great book to edit and read.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012, 12:30:32 PM PDT
Brother75 says:
Dear Pamela,

I love Elisabeth George. Therefore I can recommand "Ruled by Fear" from Kerstin McNichol (unknown author - yet). Her book is also full of twists and turns. Guess you will like it, if you like George.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012, 10:52:04 AM PDT
ARPY says:
Try my kindle ebook "...and she was" by Arpy Beck.

Part memoir of a 30-something woman, Valerie, who wrote for sit-com; part love story of how Valerie and an unexpected man fall in love, almost lose their minds and each other only to fall more deeply in love by book's end; and part travelogue of a long-term trip to Sydney, Australia during the 2000 Olympics, a place where everyone's beautiful but drunk and the landscape is sharper than anyone living there.

Instead of a linear tale of each in sequence, these three threads weave together and dovetail to tell a story where by each chapter's end, a new view of Valerie is revealed. It's a high profile and yet down-to-earth journey of a woman looking to make her life work when nothing around her makes sense at any given time. Particularly her work in sit-com, a place where women are not considered funny, but toilet jokes are.

"...and she was" also delves into Valerie's complicated and unique family life (a much-married mother and Christian Fundamentalist step father who leaves her notes asking her to dinner and telling her that Satan is her Master).

It's also a story of Valerie's' search for love of her own, made particularly difficult since she makes more money than most men she meets in a world (LA) where only male power is based on money and female power is based on looks.

Finally, it's a first-person narrative of how Valerie gets it all, loses it, and then gets it back for real.

"...and she was" is for anyone who would enjoy a book like "Bridget Jones's Diary," or one with the resonance of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," yet also want to know what kind of person Roseanne really is.

It's perfect for rebounding from troubled times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012, 3:10:15 PM PDT
Is your long trip in the U.S.? My memoir is titled, Making It Home - My year as a middle-aged runaway. In the year I turned 50, I packed my car, left home, and moved from one small town to the next, finding a home, a job, volunteer work and a set of friends in the month or so that I spent in each place. A thread of tension throughout is what was happening at home, and how life-changing events there had to be handled.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Women's Fiction forum (47 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Women's Fiction forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers