Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 24, 2016, 6:28:55 PM PDT
CompTeach says:
Finished Firstlife (An Everlife Novel), but don't plan on reading any more in the series. Showalter's known for her tortured heroes in her adult books, but I wasn't expecting such a dark book in her new YA series. I thought the world-building wasn't explained well, the dialogue was weird at times, and the romance just didn't work for me. So yeah, thumbs-down from me.

Posted on Mar 22, 2016, 2:03:36 PM PDT
Whoa, RIDERS sounds interesting. Didn't realize Rossi had a new book out, and that cover!

Posted on Mar 21, 2016, 10:34:54 PM PDT
CompTeach says:
I finished Riders and quite liked it. It's very fast-paced with good characterization. Not perfect, but definitely worth a read--especially if you can get it from the library. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Posted on Mar 10, 2016, 6:22:29 AM PST
Finished THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE by Heidi Heilig, which I think a lot of y'all would enjoy, based on previous discussions we've had here. It's very adventurous, with great characters. A bit in the vein of Rae Carson or Leigh Bardugo, while at the same time not feeling like those at all. Maybe because the fresh setting of Hawaii.

Next up I'm reading IN REAL LIFE by Jessica Love, in addition to some various adult fiction.

Posted on Mar 9, 2016, 9:19:53 PM PST
CompTeach says:
K. Knight, I'm on the waiting list for Riders at the library, but it hasn't come in, so no review from me yet.

This weekend I read The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire) and Starflight. As much as I was looking forward to The Shadow Queen -- as it's a Snow White retelling -- I thought it was just okay. It kind of dragged at times.

I actually really enjoyed Starflight. Could have been because it's much faster-paced, but it definitely kept me engaged the entire time.

I also have plans to read Firstlife (An Everlife Novel), but it's on the back burner as I have several adult new releases to read from Patricia Briggs, Anne Bishop, and Jennifer Estep.

Posted on Feb 11, 2016, 2:34:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2016, 2:34:34 AM PST
K. Knight says:
Has anyone read Veronica Rossi's Riders? It doesn't seem to have many reviews (and very few good ones). I loved some of her other things so I was going to buy it, but now I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying to get it through the library.

Posted on Feb 2, 2016, 11:23:36 PM PST
I liked Saphira and wanted to know if he and the elf girl would end up together.

Posted on Feb 2, 2016, 10:45:47 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I'm about halfway through book 4. I'm interested enough to finish the series, but really, it's just too long and drawn out for me. I'm also not generally a huge fantasy person. Luckily I really enjoy Saphira. She's what's keeping me reading.

Posted on Jan 26, 2016, 1:06:50 PM PST
I couldn't finish book three. I always poop out about a hundred pages in. I've attempted it four times to no avail.

Good luck, Knight. Let me know you think of it when you are done.

Posted on Jan 26, 2016, 12:25:20 AM PST
K. Knight says:
I'm working my way through the Eragon series. I'm just finishing the second book. While I really like aspects of the series, there are parts that could use some editing (parts DRAG and are boring with way too much unnecessary detail). It's very Lord of the Rings, but it's enjoyable. Not sure it will end up in my keep pile (which now numbers more than 400).

Posted on Jan 12, 2016, 5:49:29 PM PST
ReaderBoy says:
I am reading Powers in a teenage witch (The Tumspuv Genimis Trilogy Book 1) and it is REALLY good so far!

Posted on Jan 12, 2016, 1:31:59 PM PST
Happy new year, you guys! We've all gone quiet...

I've read some good stuff in the past few weeks, though! DELICATE MONSTERS by Stephanie Kuehn, which is dark but thoughtful, with excellent writing and character work. Then there was ALL AMERICAN BOYS by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely, which was timely and compelling. And after that, DUMPLIN' by Julie Murphy, which was a quiet and charming contemporary.

I'm actually not reading any YA at this precise moment in time, although I need to get back to THE COST OF ALL THINGS by Maggie Lehrman (which got put on hold when I moved to a new house and packed up the book and didn't know where it was! lol) and then need to start a Feb book club pick, THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE by Heidi Heilig, which looks really interesting!

What are y'all up to?

Posted on Dec 8, 2015, 8:48:20 AM PST
Just read Endangered, I couldn't put it down and the ending was fitting, not as happy as I like, but it made sense to me.

Also reading Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade), I loved book one, so I know this one will be just as good and so far, two chapters in, it's exceeding expectations.

Posted on Dec 3, 2015, 11:29:42 PM PST
Kribu says:
The Unwind series was really quite good, yes!

I've been finally making my way through Winter (The Lunar Chronicles) - it's a big book and I haven't had a lot of reading time but I'm about four fifths done and so far, enjoying it more than I was afraid of.

Posted on Nov 29, 2015, 10:31:01 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I just finished the Unwind series. I'd read the first one when it came out and then dutifully bought all the other books but never read them until now. It's an amazing series and I liked the fact that for once it isn't settled with war and the main character becoming a soldier. It's actually done in a way that makes sense for society.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2015, 8:12:33 AM PST
Kribu says:
Ha, I know exactly what you mean! I got photos with all the main current cast but yeah, didn't actually manage to say much to any of them, other than with Capaldi who was kind enough to ask me stuff (like where I was from and whether I'd come all that way just for the DWF, and then thanked me for coming, and was basically the sweetest man imaginable, not letting go of my hand the whole time and just beaming at me - well, he beamed happily at everyone, to be fair) so I managed to pull myself together enough to at least be able to answer! But yeah, I've never been THIS starstruck in my life, LOL.

I was struck by how much better they all looked in person, too. Capaldi in particular also looks a lot younger - I think it's the energy and boyish enthusiasm that he radiates in person.

Posted on Nov 21, 2015, 1:35:05 AM PST
Kribu - You met Doctor Who!? You lucky girl! I met two of the stars of Agents of Shield at Comic Con this summer. It was so thrilling, I want edto say something but the words just flew out of my head. I was completely starstruck but they were both so nice and friendly and the actor who plays Grant Ward is even better looking in person.

Posted on Nov 21, 2015, 12:07:10 AM PST
Kribu says:
I'm so out of touch that I don't even know what's coming up or what YA books of special interest/significance have been released this year! Looked at the Goodreads awards briefly the other day and this is the first year in a while where I haven't read any of the nominees in any category, and the vast majority of them I hadn't even heard about. I'll have a lot of catching up to do once I finally get back in a reading mood!

Winter is super long, yes. And a friend who finished it last week already said she was a bit disappointed with it (and she adored Cinder, Scarlet and Cress). But, eh, we'll see. I should at least try and get around to it before my slow-reader best friend does - I randomly suggested Cinder to him at some point months ago and now he's already even made his way through all three main books + Fairest (which I haven't tackled myself). It'd be a bit embarrassing if he finished the series before I did.

Kristan - yeah, definitely the highlight of my year. :D (Also, Peter Capaldi is probably the nicest person in the world. Seriously, I don't think it's possible for a celebrity to be any nicer - incredibly warm, patient, kind, friendly, takes as much time as allowed with every fan, takes the lead to put people at ease, never ever ever gives the impression he'd rather be somewhere else, and so on. I feel like a 14-year-old with a crush. :P)

Posted on Nov 20, 2015, 8:03:25 PM PST
CompTeach says:
I just finished Colleen Hoover's November 9: A Novel and was once again reminded how much I like her writing. While I don't think this is my favorite novel of hers, it was still good enough to keep me reading past my bedtime.

I'm currently in the middle of Richelle Mead's Soundless and I'm still reserving judgment. I'm not bored, but Mead is usually good about making you really care about the characters, and I haven't gotten to that point yet.

I actually have Winter (The Lunar Chronicles) in my possession, but was a little daunted by the 800+ pages. Definitely set some time aside for this one.

Posted on Nov 20, 2015, 7:46:29 AM PST
So cool that you met Peter Capaldi! I'm glad you treated yourself to the Doc Who festival. :)

I finished CARRY ON by Rainbow Rowell and really, really enjoyed it. It's sort of like Harry Potter, Twilight, and Rainbow Rowell thrown into a blender.

Now I'm listening to the audiobook of All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely. And I'm trying to get Illuminae (The Illuminae Files) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff so I can read-along with my friend.

Posted on Nov 20, 2015, 7:41:01 AM PST
Kribu says:
*waves to everyone*

I've occasionally lurked here but since reading has really fallen on the wayside this year for me in general, and YA reading even more so, I haven't had much to say for .. well, months!

Maybe I'll get back on track next year, LOL.

My non-work time has been pretty much completely taken up by Doctor Who fandom for the last year, so ... that's basically the reason. (This is where I will need to insert the obligatory I MET PETER CAPALDI LAST WEEKEND IN LONDON AND HE HELD MY HAND AND SMILED AT ME AND I HAVE A PHOTO WITH HIM AND I TOTALLY MELTED INTO A SMALL PUDDLE OF DAZED AND HAPPY GOO bit, I think. *grins* Yeah, my fannishness has got bad enough that I actually forked out a really rather massive amount of money and went to the Doctor Who Festival last weekend. It was awesome though. I've been feeling so incredibly burnt out and exhausted lately in general, largely due to work, that I felt I absolutely needed a break - and boy, did it deliver. Best decision I've made in a long time, expense be damned.)

Anyway, yeah. Speaking of YA reading - one book I am looking forward to getting to, hopefully sooner rather than later (post-holiday work has been horrible so far), is Winter (The Lunar Chronicles).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2015, 5:28:48 AM PST
"I'm still waiting for Robin McKinley to finish Pegasus."

You and me both. Sigh.

Posted on Nov 10, 2015, 11:53:40 PM PST
K. Knight says:
well, now I'm just mad that I read Snakeroot. I didn't realize that this book was literally going to end in the middle of the action. And there's no sequel yet (and no word on when or if the sequel will be made). Now I don't know if should hang on to it in hopes the rest of the story will one day be written or give up and sell it. I hate when that happens. I'm still waiting for Robin McKinley to finish Pegasus.

Posted on Nov 9, 2015, 8:50:27 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I just finished The Creeping and I had a mixed reaction. It's definitely an interesting story with some creepy elements, but the ending was a little disappointing for me. Some of the characters didn't seem to be real, either, but totally worth a read though.

I'm reading Snakeroot. Not sure what I think about it. the Nightshade Trilogy was a solid 3-star series for me, but I loved the prequels (rift and rise). Snakeroot is falling somewhere in the middle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2015, 1:43:11 PM PST
Oops, hi! :)

Sooooooo glad you loved ATTACHMENTS! That was my first Rainbow book, and it was such a pleasant surprise. I was expecting "just another chick lit book" (which sounds disparaging but isn't meant to be! I enjoy chick lit!) but Rainbow really imbued it with such a special combination of depth and levity and insight. That's her signature, really, but I didn't know it at the time! :P

If you liked ATTACHMENTS, I highly recommend LANDLINE too.

I actually just started CARRY ON (her latest), and I'm enjoying it so far.

And before that, I finished DON'T FAIL ME NOW by Una LaMarche, which I loved!

Recently I moved to a new neighborhood (which is part of why I've been quieter here -- just so busy!) and have been doing a lot more audiobooks while I walk my dog around the new streets. I'm basically finding that narrators completely make or break the audiobook experience for me. So please consider this an open request for any great YA audiobooks that you've enjoyed...?

Not YA, but I listened to UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand (powerful but heavy story) and then NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL by Lena Dunham (okay) and now YES PLEASE by Amy Poehler (not finished but already loving it).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 238 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Looking for ya book from early 1970's 0 Jun 21, 2017
Looking for non fiction teen rights book circa late 80s. 0 Jun 10, 2017
Title of YA ghost story (romance?) published in the 1980s(?) where a drowned boy comes back as multiple people? 0 May 23, 2017
Can anyone recommend books with poor hero/wrong side of tracks 0 May 22, 2017
Looking for books with tortured/abused hero 0 May 22, 2017
Anyone Dying to Review a Book? 0 Apr 9, 2017
Please help me find this book. Ya lit, published in the 1970s or 1980s, young couple who get married and name their baby boy feather 0 Mar 1, 2017
Please help me find this book. Ya lit, published in the 1979s or 1980s, young couple who get married and name their baby boy feather 0 Mar 1, 2017
Deals & Steals - low priced YA books (no self promos) 561 Feb 17, 2017
Pippa of Lauramore (The Eldentimber Series Book 1)- FREE 0 Jan 12, 2017
Need more books like hush, hush; halo, and shiver!!! 22 Jan 7, 2017
Need New book series 13 Nov 26, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  285
Total posts:  5938
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers