Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 203 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 3, 2011, 6:34:20 AM PST
Unfortunate that authors have not exercised discretion in their posts by following the threads and adding substance, not just promo. Whenever I do book events, I am always asked what I read, and what I recommend. As an author with 16 years experience, writing awards, and three award-winning novels, I like to make those recommendations, so am sorry that limitations had to be placed by Amazon when authors could have regulated themselves by staying relevant and substantive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011, 7:46:05 AM PST
@Fierce Red Pen/Sarah Honenberger-
I have to admit, I find your post ironic considering I just saw you self promoting on threads here...

Posted on Dec 3, 2011, 8:58:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2011, 8:59:31 AM PST
C. Hall says:
SHEESH,for real?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011, 2:54:40 PM PST
Please don't discard the recommendation to read Jennie Downham's Before I Die. It's such a well-written book, and a hard subject to write about, and to read about it, valuable for teen readers to consider. I was answering the question about real characters. You'll find dozens of posts by me on lots of authors and books. Books/vicarious living/communication are the solution to world peace. I don't want to argue, just excited about talking about books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011, 5:09:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2011, 5:11:34 PM PST
No one is discarding the recommendation to Before I Die. If that had been all that you said, your posts would've been fine.

Many forum participants are also writers, but that doesn't matter and should not be mentioned. Amazon has established that this is a place for readers.

To see how to best participate here in a way that will foster good discussions and engage other forum users, please see this list of guidelines we came up with together, in combination with Amazon's rules:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/young%20adult/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxYYBPV8QIG2V4&cdMsgNo=146&cdPage=6&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1IIEJ5FDPB193&cdMsgID=Mx2YZGLOIEPHS4F#Mx2YZGLOIEPHS4F

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011, 11:15:27 PM PST
Iola says:
"sorry that limitations had to be placed by Amazon when authors could have regulated themselves by staying relevant and substantive."

Sadly, that is exactly the point of Amazon's announcement introducing the Meet our Authors forum. Authors could have regulated themselves, but some bad apples didn't/don't and spoilt it for everyone.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011, 10:21:06 PM PST
Kribu says:
Bump for new authors who might still not know that Amazon isn't allowing self-promotion here.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011, 12:49:04 PM PST
Karlyn says:
bumping again

Posted on Dec 12, 2011, 2:46:56 PM PST
Goodness my fingers just got quite the workout... *bump*

Posted on Dec 22, 2011, 2:12:30 PM PST
bumping to the top of the list ;)

Posted on Dec 26, 2011, 10:47:42 PM PST
Kribu says:
*pushes the thread back towards the top of the list*

Posted on Jan 1, 2012, 8:13:00 PM PST
*bump*

I feel like this should stay on the first page, at least. But I'm so glad we're having enough conversations to push it down! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012, 9:00:56 PM PST
Your are right Kristan, this forum has more than its share of self promos.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012, 10:45:19 PM PST
Kribu says:
It's got a lot better compared to a few months ago, though. I doubt we'll ever avoid all the occasional newbie self-promo, but at least it's not the kingdom of spam that it had become before Amazon's announcement.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012, 4:29:23 AM PST
C. Hall says:
It is really inexcusable that Amazon hasn't done it's own job to "Stickie" these so-called Important Announcements,don't you think?

Everyone should call Amazon CS and tell them to do their own job,of keeping this Announcement at the top of their forums!

Posted on Jan 13, 2012, 12:12:18 PM PST
*bump*

Let's "reset" this back up to the top of the page. Knock on wood, but things have been pretty good lately!

Posted on Jan 20, 2012, 11:35:40 PM PST
Kribu says:
*gives the thread a solid push back up to the top of the thread list*

Posted on Jan 23, 2012, 11:32:16 PM PST
Iola says:
bumpity, again...

Posted on Feb 4, 2012, 8:08:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012, 8:09:33 AM PST
Bumping to the top b/c we've seen a couple self promos and sock puppets...

Friendly reminder to authors:
- We love authors and welcome you to participate in the forums, but...
- Spam is not permitted.
- Self promotion is not permitted.
- You are welcome to discuss and recommend books by others.
- Please do not discuss or recommend your own books, even if you believe they are a perfect fit to a discussion thread.
- Ways in which you can let readers know about your books: edit your Amazon profile to include titles and links, or visit the Meet Our Authors forum (where self promotion IS permitted).

Forum users:
- Please use the Report Abuse link when you see self promotion or spam. This lets Amazon know to check the post and delete it if it violates their terms of service.
- Please also use the "down vote" (the No next to the question, "Do you think this post adds to the discussion?"). This doesn't talk to Amazon, but if a post gets enough down votes, it will be collapsed/hidden, so that new guests to the forum won't have to be bothered by it.
- If you feel comfortable, let spammers/promoters know that they are violating the rules. A lot of new visitors don't even know what they're doing, so communicating that to them can help everyone. (For repeat, knowing violators, you can also use the Ignore This Customer feature.)

Posted on Feb 5, 2012, 6:08:25 AM PST
Dangit I jinxed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012, 10:25:08 PM PST
It's getting a lot better, Kristan!

Posted on Feb 12, 2012, 6:13:00 AM PST
I think your bumping worked - I haven't seen self-promo in a while. I'm curious how many readers actually go to the Meet the Authors forum. It looks a bit overwhelming, what with the thousands of short "this is my book" posts! Perhaps a better question is how many of the forum participaters who were fed up with self-promo in these threads (and often tore authors a new one!) will visit the Meet the Author threads now that the promos have been separated?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012, 6:42:03 AM PST
there are actually quite a few readers who go there, that I know of...unfortunately, it only takes one bad author to spoil the bunch...I had just started going back and then an author called someone who offered her constructive criticism about her book a hater and a a-hole...and did it not only on Amazon, but on her blog...so i'm staying out of the MOA again for a while

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012, 7:04:43 AM PST
Yikes! But there are people like that in all forums and everyday life. Best ignore them. Watch any auditions episode of a reality competition show to see plenty of folks (and their families) who have no insight into their level of talent and cannot accept any critique that doesn't start with "You were amazing!"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012, 7:24:01 AM PST
true there are...this one just happened to really PMO...because she posted in the wrong place was told nicely, and then the individual mentioned some issues he had with the sample of her book...she flipped out, wrote a blog post about it, and then came back and started 2 threads in the kindle forum and the MOA forum, called I met my first hater...

WTH is it that anyone who doesn't like self-published stuff (be it really good or drivel) is automatically a hater and a failed author??
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Looking for ya book from early 1970's 0 Jun 21, 2017
Looking for non fiction teen rights book circa late 80s. 0 Jun 10, 2017
Title of YA ghost story (romance?) published in the 1980s(?) where a drowned boy comes back as multiple people? 0 May 23, 2017
Can anyone recommend books with poor hero/wrong side of tracks 0 May 22, 2017
Looking for books with tortured/abused hero 0 May 22, 2017
Anyone Dying to Review a Book? 0 Apr 9, 2017
Please help me find this book. Ya lit, published in the 1970s or 1980s, young couple who get married and name their baby boy feather 0 Mar 1, 2017
Please help me find this book. Ya lit, published in the 1979s or 1980s, young couple who get married and name their baby boy feather 0 Mar 1, 2017
Deals & Steals - low priced YA books (no self promos) 561 Feb 17, 2017
Pippa of Lauramore (The Eldentimber Series Book 1)- FREE 0 Jan 12, 2017
Need more books like hush, hush; halo, and shiver!!! 22 Jan 7, 2017
Need New book series 13 Nov 26, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  203
Initial post:  May 17, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers