Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

YA books with older teens?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2011, 11:53:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2011, 7:46:55 AM PDT
BMW says:
Okay I've noticed that in most YA novels the main characters are 14-17, and in most "adult" novels the protagonist is much older, like late 20's and up. So does anyone know any good books with main characters that are around 18-22?

I'm just wondering if there is even a market for these ages. I'm 21 and normally enjoy reading about younger characters but I just found it curious that I can't even FIND a book where the main character is my age. Thanks for any suggestions :)

EDIT: I just noticed I put YA books, but it can be adult books as well. Tacking on the 'YA' is just a habit now I guess haha.

Posted on Jun 11, 2011, 7:30:26 AM PDT
yeah, there is an age gap b/t YA and adult. i think the books you are looking for will be at the end of a YA series or in adult.

i just read two books that have a main character who is 20ish.
Amaretto Flame (Eagleton Coven) took a little while to get going, but i loved the ending. its awesome. read it.

im still on the fence about this series, but the heroine fits into your age group: Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1). the first book was driving me nuts b/c the author kept slowing down the story. there was way too much thinking (pages) in the middle of dialog and action. im reading the 2nd book now, b/c ppl told me it gets way better. it is getting better, but im not done yet. so, id check it out.

oh, also look at Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, Book 1). i think she is young 20s. that is also awesome. her bff is awesome too.

ive read more, but im drawing a blank right now. will add when i remember. :)

Posted on Jun 11, 2011, 9:46:50 AM PDT
Wayward says:
In "My Name is Memory" I think the bulk of the story took place with the characters in their early 20's.

A lot of so-called Christian romance centers around young twenty-somethings. A lot of it is historical fiction; and it's not all preachy :-)
And in the Wilderness saga by Donati, while the first books are Elizabeth and Nathaniel mid twenties/thirties, the ones focusing on their children have them in their early 20's.
Also try some of Patricia Wrede's books. The protagonists seem to be between 17 and 24. (Not really teens, but not really grown ups)

Posted on Jun 11, 2011, 10:33:05 AM PDT
BeeT says:
Try" The Last Summer (of You and Me)" by Anne Brashares. The main characters are in their early 20s. A very poignant, well-written book. I've read and reread it quite a few times. I do wish to know more books written for the late teen and early 20s, but unless reading review for every single book, there is not really a section defined for it.

Posted on Jun 11, 2011, 11:08:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 6, 2011, 2:36:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011, 12:01:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 10, 2011, 4:56:26 AM PST]

Posted on Jun 11, 2011, 8:12:46 PM PDT
BMW says:
Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to check all of these out! :)

Posted on Jun 12, 2011, 6:51:08 AM PDT
Beetle (Adventures of the Whitehead Virtual Sisters)The Golden Horn
What BMW describes readers are calling "Crossover" fiction, and it is a growing category. Still receives little attention from publishers. Both of my novels available through Amazon feature college-age protagonists, and would fit into what BMW asks about, although they also fit YA. Give them a try. Beetle, at a 99¢ Kindle is easy to manage. Cheers, WES LODER

Posted on Jun 12, 2011, 7:04:59 AM PDT
A. Taylor says:
BMW
In Neiko's Five Land Adventure the main character is 18, but I'm not sure if you like fantasy/ sci-fi or not, but filled with action and adventure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011, 8:46:46 AM PDT
Ricky says:
There is one book I recently read and really enjoyed. It's action/romance, and very un-clique as you read into it. It's not by a famous author, she self published this book (which I like supporting self-published authors because it can be really tough). Anyway, you should check it out, it's called "Falling for the Bad Boy" by Heather Lose, it's .99 on the Kindle, or you can download a copy to your computer. You could read the summary and see if it's something you might be interested in, it doesn't have any mythical creatures in it or anything, just about a girl who goes on an adventure and discovers somethings about her life and is being sought after because of something she inherited. I'm not sure how old the girl is, maybe 17 or 18 and the guy is maybe 22 or 23.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011, 1:35:25 PM PDT
Sarah E. says:
I'm not sure if late teems is what your looking for but if so check out the original 4 books in the Vampire diaries series. (I'm in my 30's and love em...) also another good read is a book called The Magic Within. The Magic Within

It follows a 17 yeard old witch durning the summer before her senior year. Again not sure if you're ok with the age range. but i like ;)

Posted on Jun 13, 2011, 7:22:04 PM PDT
Alissa says:
For awhile there the term being used to describe books with characters in this age range was "new adult". I haven't heard that term used much in the past year or so, but I would still try searching it to see what turns up. The book that BeeT mentioned "The Last Summer of You and Me" was described as new adult when it came out.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011, 6:47:13 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 5, 2011, 6:31:00 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 14, 2011, 9:00:10 AM PDT
Try Unholy Ghosts it's the first in a series by Stacia Kane I think she's 24 or so. Also, the Vampire Academy series (better than it sounds) by Richelle Mead is really good the first three books are in school she's 17 but the next three take place out of school. Grave Dance and the Haven series (Once bitten and Twice Dead don't know when the third one is coming out) by Kalayna Price the characters are both in early twenties especially Kita from the Haven series. The Hunger Games has Katniss who is I think 16 but those are not about her in school it's sort of like scifi in the future it's amazing...Good luck!

Posted on Jun 14, 2011, 10:34:07 AM PDT
It is difficult to find the betweeners. It's as though most novelists have skipped from 16 to 30. I just finished Karma! by Mike Roche. A great YA murder mystery/romance that is not graphic and very clean. The charcters are all seniors in H.S. it was only .99.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011, 3:12:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2011, 3:13:51 AM PDT
If you don't mind historical, Annie Groves' WWII series usually have main characters in the 18-25 bracket. What I like about hers is that they often several strands to the story following several characters and often different ages, e.g. Across the Mersey. Similarly, Elizabeth Chadwick's female leads are usually in the 16-25 bracket as they obviously have to deal with arranged marriages, etc, in Medieval times, e.g. The Winter Mantle, (although she can get a little steamy!).

Annette Hart, author.

Posted on Jul 8, 2011, 9:37:16 PM PDT
HeatherA says:
Read the Secret Society Girl series by Diana Peterfreund... the main character is in college. Great series! If I remember correctly, there are 4 books - one for each year in college.

Posted on Jul 9, 2011, 4:15:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2011, 9:25:08 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 10, 2011, 8:56:04 AM PDT
Emily Starr says:
The Curse of the LeRoys

I agree that this is the age that is harder to find in novels and is also harder to classify - they easily fit into both categories, YA and Adult. In The Curse of the LeRoys the main female character is 20 and the main male character is 25 (girl's love interest, of course :). In my opinion, this book also fits into both categories.
Personally I don't care about the category or the age of the characters as long as the story is good and can be enjoyed by female population in late 20ies and early 30ies. :-P

Posted on Jul 10, 2011, 12:54:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2011, 9:25:17 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 10, 2011, 4:57:43 PM PDT
Although I consider my series YA, my two main characters are 22 and 23. I agree that there's a major gap between teenager and adult when it comes to books. My characters are not in their teens simply because the story requires them not to live at home with parents or be in college for the story to play out like it needed to. I believe teens can still relate with characters in this stage of life, as can adults. It's just tricky to find books with characters who are in their early twenties. I'm not really sure why. I didn't even realize this was a strange thing until I was way into writing the first novel in my series.

Posted on Jul 10, 2011, 8:28:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2011, 9:25:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 18, 2011, 11:43:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 9, 2011, 8:49:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011, 10:46:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011, 11:20:13 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011, 11:53:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 18, 2011, 11:54:17 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Looking for ya book from early 1970's 0 Jun 21, 2017
Looking for non fiction teen rights book circa late 80s. 0 Jun 10, 2017
Title of YA ghost story (romance?) published in the 1980s(?) where a drowned boy comes back as multiple people? 0 May 23, 2017
Can anyone recommend books with poor hero/wrong side of tracks 0 May 22, 2017
Looking for books with tortured/abused hero 0 May 22, 2017
Anyone Dying to Review a Book? 0 Apr 9, 2017
Please help me find this book. Ya lit, published in the 1970s or 1980s, young couple who get married and name their baby boy feather 0 Mar 1, 2017
Please help me find this book. Ya lit, published in the 1979s or 1980s, young couple who get married and name their baby boy feather 0 Mar 1, 2017
Deals & Steals - low priced YA books (no self promos) 561 Feb 17, 2017
Pippa of Lauramore (The Eldentimber Series Book 1)- FREE 0 Jan 12, 2017
Need more books like hush, hush; halo, and shiver!!! 22 Jan 7, 2017
Need New book series 13 Nov 26, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers