Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports
Profile for Kenneth Peal > Reviews

Browse

Kenneth Peal's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kenneth Peal RSS Feed (Southern Ca.)

Wilton 63144 Heavy-Duty Woodworking Vise
Wilton 63144 Heavy-Duty Woodworking Vise
Offered by CPO Outlets
Price: $173.24
7 used & new from $152.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome vise., May 17, 2011
If you can find the money to spend, and you think this vise might fit your needs, don't hesitate. Super quality. 30lbs solid. Quick-release screw. Easy to use. Just make sure your workbench can take the weight. You need 7-inches of overhang, and, personally, I don't think a single sheet of plywood will hold it over time... This is a great pro-quality vise.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for what it is., March 16, 2011
I have a 14-inch laptop. The fact that I can put the fans where I need them is brilliant. With one fan directly below the HD, my laptop runs much cooler than with any fixed-fan cooler I've owned. Personally, I also like the raised angle it gives the computer. In truth, though, I only use it when the laptop is on my desk. When I use the laptop on the ol' Lazy Boy, I leave the cooler on my desk (and my computer HD does get quite hot without external fans) - so I can't comment on how convenient it is to use the cooler on your lap. It's built out of heavy sheet metal. It's solid. Consequently, it's also relatively heavy and cumbersome. For keeping my laptop cool, though, it's really, really good.

Neewer Vertical Battery Grip(Replacement for Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip)Work with 1 or 2 Pieces LP-E6 Battery or 6 Pieces AA Batteries for Canon EOS 5D MARK II Digital SLR Camera
Price: $25.99
15 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good deal, February 19, 2011
This is the cheapest grip I found. I have grips for my other cameras. Canon grips and clones. I don't see much difference between any of them. I took a chance on this "cheap" grip. Turns out, it seems I struck pay dirt. This grip is as good as any grip I have. It's a little finicky to attach. You have to sqeeze the grip and camera together as you tighten it down, and really tighten it down. For all I know, that may be a problem with all the grips for this camera - there's a lot of pressure from the spring inside the camera ( a lot!). Other than that, the grip is just as good, and is just as comfortable, as any of the other clones I own, as well as the Canons. My personal opinion is that it's a great deal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2012 10:16 AM PDT

GGS DSLR LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector for Canon EOS 50D 5D Mark II Digital SLR Cameras

3.0 out of 5 stars Not transparent enough..., February 19, 2011
This product is infinitely better than a film stick-on, but with only 90% light transmission, I find I'm losing detail on my LCD. I have a 5DII and L-quality lenses. I replaced the GGS protector with a $24.95 8-series Giottos. The Giottos has 12-layers, with 98% light transmission. Believe me, I'm not rich, and I'll take a good deal anytime; but if you use the LCD for judging focus, the Giottos is well worth the extra cost.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2011 10:18 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Big but nice, February 3, 2011
It's somewhat large because of the handle. But that's also what makes it comfortable to hold. Comes with a light protective coating; once that's scraped away, it sparks great. A good product. I'd buy another one.

Ka-Bar Metal Belt Clip for TDI Knives
Ka-Bar Metal Belt Clip for TDI Knives
Offered by Tactideals
Price: $11.29
59 used & new from $7.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Good addition, February 2, 2011
Well worth the price (although it is kind of expensive). The clip hooks under your belt, so it can't really come off accidently. Not light, but solid. Fits the sheath perfectly. Holding the female stud when screwing it together can be a little tricky.

Rainbowimaging TR1 Tripod Collar Mount Ring for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L, 300mm F4 USM and 400mm F5.6 USM (White)
Offered by JW Photography Accessory
Price: $8.56
10 used & new from $7.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable., January 7, 2011
Someone wrote a review and said this collar has plastic parts - not so. I have the Canon 100-400mm IS lens and collar, and there's not much difference in quality between the two collars. Maybe better finishing on the Canon. This is a all-metal collar that's rock solid and is so inexpensive it's positively ridiculous. I just bought Canon's tripod collar for the 100mm IS Macro, and it's a finely made and finished piece of equipment, no doubt; but is it worth 10-times what this clone collar for the 70-200 costs? As an ex-Machinist, I can say; not really. Buy with confidence. This collar is an amazing deal. Kudos to Cowboy Studio for making it available...

Professional Grade Battery Pack / Vertical Grip for Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Professional Grade Battery Pack / Vertical Grip for Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Offered by Global_omo
Price: $35.99
2 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unless you're into Brand Names, buy this grip..., September 21, 2010
Although it isn't advertised, this battery-grip is made by Meike. I have a Meike grip for my 7D. The price is ridiculously low compared to Canon. If there's a quality difference between the Meike and Canon, I doubt I could tell. Unless you want a grip with the same name as your camera, or money is no object, you can buy this one with confidence. The batteries are 2000mAh "no names," and although I haven't gone through a cycle with them yet, I'm hoping for the best. With the T2i, I don't mind using clone batteries. With the 7D, I only use Canon, so the camera can display all the battery info, which it can't do with non-Canon batteries. And unlike the 7D, which goes through batteries like cops through donuts, batteries in the T2i last a long, long time.

Tripod Collar Mount Ring for the Canon EF 100MM f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 180MM F/3.5L Macro USM, MP-E 65mm F/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lenses, replaces Canon Tipod Mount Ring B (B) by Cowboystudio
Offered by JW Photography Accessory
Price: $13.10
2 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Is Canon's worth six-times the price?, March 9, 2010
That depends.
I'm using this collar with a 7D and Canon's 100mm Macro.
Cons:
1. The collar flexes slightly where it locks down on itself near the base. I expected this, even with good plastic.
2. I got a bad tripod-mount nut. It wasn't threaded deeply enough. I had to drill through the center with a 3/16th bit, and re-tap the threads, so that the normal-length screw on my quick-release plate would lock the plate down. I doubt that they're all bad.
3. Zippo instructions. It's a different design than on my 100-400 collar, and trickier. Luckily, on another web-site, someone reviewing the Canon collar (which has to be similar in design) gave pretty clear instructions. I'm eternally grateful!
4. The collar's hinge hits the built-in flash on my 7D - it has to be mounted "just so" for it to go on and work properly.
5. Rotating the plastic body around the plastic lens-ring requires getting used to. Plastic on plastic tends to grab. It's taken me practice to get the collar-body to slide smoothly and evenly over the ring.
Pros:
1. Once you figure out how to mount it and slide it smoothly, it really does work quite well!
2. The flex at the place where the collar's tripod base and clamp-ring meet at a right-angle isn't really a problem in use. It doesn't flex under the weight of the camera alone, which was my big concern. It will flex a little when you grab the camera, though.
3. If you're willing to work with the shortcomings of an all plastic mount - ie, slightly "cheap" and flexy - it's an amazingly good product for the money. But only if you've got a bit of skill with mechanical things. It takes a little finesse to keep from getting frustrated with it's "gotta work it just right-ness." But for 1:1 Macro work with Macro Rails attached, I don't see any reason why a Pro couldn't get away with using this collar. Canon's steel collar is undoubtedly stronger and better (but it, too, has a plastic lens-ring). But is it worth 6-times the price? Not for me; an amateur who likes Macro but has a limited budget. Handled properly, it's "cheapness" won't affect the quality of the shot. And I'm even starting to feel a not-so- small sense of satisfaction that I can get this collar to work properly despite its finickiness. And now that I've gotten better at it, it's not really a problem.
Mounting instructions:
There are three ring mounting-grooves on the lens, and corresponding "keys" on the lens ring. Looking at the lens from the back, with the distance/macro scale at 12-o'clock, stretch the lens ring open and slide it on so that the split in the ring is at 3-o'clock. The felt inside the ring goes towards the front of the lens. Make sure the ring butts against the step on the lens body. Fiddle with it until the 3 keys lock into the 3 long grooves on the lens.
Hold the collar-body so that the tripod mounting screw is a about 2-o'clock. Slide the collar-body all the way onto the ring after positioning the four slots on the body over the 4 pins on the ring.
For the 7D (at least) you now have to rotate the collar-body (clockwise) so that the tripod mounting screw is at about 7:30. That way, when you mount the lens/collar to the camera, the collar-body hinge won't hit the flash. When it's on the camera, the hinge still hits the flash, but not until it passes true horizontal by a few degrees. Lock the collar-body down tight, it will help reduced flex.
That's it!
If one of you kind folks will send me $150, I'll buy the Canon version. Just joking! But for 20-bucks, to have the ease of going from Horizontal to Vertical without having to tilt my whole set-up 90-degrees and re-frame is absolutely wonderful, and worth the conscious effort I have to make to work the collar with an extra bit of care. Anyways, needing to pay close attention is good! It helps put me in the moment...

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras
Price: $999.00
125 used & new from $549.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's worth the weight..., December 21, 2007
I had a 30D and 17-85mm lens , but just wasn't quite happy with that combo - I wanted more and better. I upgraded to the 40D and knew right away it was the camera I was looking for; but I felt the 17-85 wasn't
giving me all the detail the camera was capable of. So I bit the bullet and bought the 24-105mm. Compared to the 17-85, this lens is long and heavy, but without a doubt, it's worth every penny... and I've just come to accept the weight as a given for the quality.
The clarity/detail this lens produces is astounding, and a perfect compliment to the 40D; giving me the feeling I'm using the full capability of the camera. The tele-range is really useful; the extra 20mm makes a big difference, and 24mm still gives a very decent wide-angle (with no apparent distortion).
I have the 10-22mm lens for landscapes, the 70-300mmIS for long shots, and the 100mm Macro. I'm as happy as a pig in a mud-wallow.
I'm definately comming around to the idea that the lens is more important than the camera. From top to bottom and back to front, I don't think you can beat the quality of this lens. So if you want to take more than just very good snapshots, spend the money. You'll be glad you did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2008 6:11 PM PDT