Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for lighten_up_already2 > Reviews

Browse

lighten_up_alrea...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 922

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

lighten_up_already2 "lighten_up_already2" RSS Feed (Kirkland, WA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Iron Chef America Season 7
Iron Chef America Season 7
Price: $13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Well I got to catch up with Jeri Ryan at least, August 21, 2016
I watched an episode to see Jeri Ryan as a judge and all I can say is what an over-the-top overproduced mess. Chefs wearing clothing more appropriate for martial arts warriors, and rapid-fire clips of brigades of cooks all working on many things at once. Didn't learn a thing, but I suppose that's not the point. Not even some quirky fun personalities to bond with like on the Chef Ramsay type shows. I don't get what the draw is for this stuff.

Kashi Basil White Bean & Olive Oil Savory Bars, 5.25 Ounce
Kashi Basil White Bean & Olive Oil Savory Bars, 5.25 Ounce
Price: $7.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting product with weird marketing angle., August 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered these just to find out what a snack bar called "Basil, White Bean & Olive Oil" would taste like. How bad could it be? Well actually these are pretty good. If I had a snack budget, a big one, I'd stock up on these as they have a rather interesting flavor, and I suppose they're healthier than a lot of snacks out there.

I just question the packaging and the marketing angle here. Why would I name a solid bar after an oil? An oil flavored bar? I just had to look at the ingredients to see what I was tasting. I can taste oats, the olive oil (I think), tomato, basil, salt, garlic, and black pepper. There's more that my pallet isn't quite sophisticated enough to directly identify. But there are a lot of fun "savory" ingredients in this bar.

Seems it could have been called most any combination of these ingredients.

How about:
Oat, basil, and sunflower oil. (What is the olive oil to sunflower oil ratio in here anyway?)
Flax, tomato, and spinach.
Rice, molasses, and thyme.

It seems they just three ingredients they thought would sound good together and ran with it. As least "savory" doesn't mean sweet. I've seen enough cooking shows to know that.

Is a bowl of olive oil on the back of the package supposed to make me want to buy this? Oh, and they poured some on the side too. Olive oil everywhere. Wow, it must be good for me then. How about a spread of all the ingredients on the back? That would make me want to buy it more.

Well, I made the mistake of writing this in Google Chrome so I can't scroll up and see more than a couple of sentences that I just wrote, so I don't really know where I'm going with this now.

I could eat a box of these in one sitting. Must...put...rest...back...in...kitchen.

Nivea for Men Energy Double Action Shave Balm, 3.3 Fluid Ounce
Nivea for Men Energy Double Action Shave Balm, 3.3 Fluid Ounce
Price: $6.49
2 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't tell difference between this and Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm. Both are great., August 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I purchased Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm back in January and found that it likely saved me a trip to the dermatologist because I moisturizes and calms my skin down after I shave. (I have a problem with my skin being easily irritated by the shaving process).

I ordered this because it is a slightly different take on a product I was going to buy again anyway, but this one does not have "sensitive" in its name, and does have "energy" in its name. I wanted to know if they are different.

Well, I tried this balm out after shaving and I can say that it is about the same thing. It moisturizes and calms down my skin. I didn't feel the "energy" but I can say the product worked as expected. Hooray for Nivea!

Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm 3.3 oz

Gillette Sensor3 Smooth Men's Disposable Razors, 8 count
Gillette Sensor3 Smooth Men's Disposable Razors, 8 count
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I can shave with a razor again!, August 20, 2016
For a couple of decades I got away with shaving with the most cheap disposable razors out there, but over the past couple of years I developed this weird hypersensitivity to shaving which caused my skin to get very red and irritated after shaving with anything, and it was worse with a razor then with an electric shaver, so I switched to the electric.

Problem is, the electric never was quite as close or thorough as the razor, so every so often I'd shave with a razor to get the whiskers that the electric kept missing, and I did this after hours, so nobody had to see me. I even tried high-end generic disposable razors at Rite-Aid, but got just slightly better results. Whats worse, the cheap razors that used to work on me stopped working at all. Do whiskers get tougher as we age?

So, I got tired of paying through the nose at stores and went shopping on line, and decided to give these a try as my every-few-days-between-electric razors. Amazingly, they work extremely well, and they don't irritate my face as much as anything I've used recently. What's better, I actually got three shaves out of the first one I've tried. Lately I've only gotten a single shave out of any disposable razors, even the fancier ones.

So, the price is right and I get to shave almost like I've been accustomed to all my life. Thanks Gillette!

La Choy Sweet & Sour Sauce, 10-Ounce Jars (Pack of 3)
La Choy Sweet & Sour Sauce, 10-Ounce Jars (Pack of 3)
Offered by Navamark
Price: $18.23
6 used & new from $9.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Sauce, but don't be a chump to get it., August 15, 2016
So my son woke up one day and decided that his lifetime addiction to chicken dinosaurs had ended. My ex wife gives me the huge Costco bag of Jurassic chicken nuggets, which I would never buy for myself but am determined not to waste.

So, I needed a dipping sauce for my chicken like nuggets and I wished I could get some of that sweet and sour goopy sauce that I remember from all the wonderful cheap Chinese restaurant and buffet memories I have in my head. I found a jar of this sauce at the supermarket for two dollars and gave it a try (yes, the 10 oz size) and it was the sweet and sour sauce of my dreams and memories. I almost want to buy more foods to dump it on. La Choy once made Chinese food swing American, and now it made American chicken dinosaurs swing Asian. Way to go La Choy!

But watch the price. Like I wrote, my jar cost me two bucks.

Boost Simply Complete Nutritional Drink, Dark Chocolate, 24 Count
Boost Simply Complete Nutritional Drink, Dark Chocolate, 24 Count
Price: $35.88
2 used & new from $35.88

3.0 out of 5 stars NesQuick for grownups?, August 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Remember when you were a kid and you'd just stir some Chocolate powder into milk and call it "breakfast?" Well,now you can do that the grown-up way. Just twist open one of these, chug for a few seconds, and there, you've got "complete" nutrition, just like it says on the label.

If by "complete" you mean 150% of your Vitamin C requirement and far less than half of the other 24 vitamins and minerals this product boasts of. Am I the only one that sees "complete" in the product name and notices the fractional nutrition facts? The name of this products contradicts what it really is according to it's own packaging. I guess marketing people are "cup half full" personality types.

And you've got to hand it to them for making a marketing point of Canola oil. That is cheap oil produced by genetically engineering rapeseeds, whose oil was once used only for industrial purposes, to a point where they're OK to consume by humans, and then renaming it "Canola" for "Canada." The manufacturing process is documented on a video "How it's made -- Canola Oil." I don't even use it to cook, and here I'm supposed to drink the stuff?

According to authoritynutrition dot com, the Omega-3 in Canola oil may be useless to humans precisely because it exists as ALA. The human body has to convert ALA to EPA and DHA, and we're not especially good at doing that.

Also, there is a product line of Nestle "Boost" drinks out there already that costs just over half per 24-pack as this product costs, but those "Boost" products have a large number of incomprehensible chemicals in their ingredients. I don't understand why "simply" in this case means almost doubling the cost.

So in summary, this stuff is not "complete", it makes me drink something that I don't want to put in my body in any amount, and it's very expensive for what you get. It occurred to me that I might be better off drinking NesQuick and taking a multi-vitamin. I'd certainly be richer.

Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek Beyond
DVD
Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Beyond...it's shelf life, maybe?, July 27, 2016
This review is from: Star Trek Beyond (Amazon Video)
I didn't plan on seeing this latest Trek movie until I could see it on streaming for about six bucks, but my son and I were bored and decided to go see it.

Caution, spoilers below.

So, the Enterprise travels from a beautiful star base (CGI people got bragging rights out of this I'm sure) to a planet "beyond" an asteroid field (the only thing "beyond" about this movie I could think of) where the Enterprise is destroyed, but the crew (at least the crew we care about) all end up safe on the planet below where thankfully there is a complete star ship intact and almost ready to fly and a cute young female warrior to save them and prove a little comic relief.

And, that's about it.

Oh yes, there's a bad guy whose exact motivation for being evil wasn't clear to me even by the end of the movie.

So, what I expected was a movie that came across like a fan movie with a huge budget, but I was hoping for some big ideas in the story line. Nope. Not a one.

But what I did see was:

A huge drop dead gorgeous star base built right next to an asteroid field. Why?

A bad guy who has finally succeed in uniting two pieces of an ancient alien weapon that's...a tiny version of the weapon he's already got! (A multitude of little flying things that swarm in formation and cut things up.)

A picture of the original crew at the end of the movie that just served to remind me of when Star Trek used to be...er...good.

But it is rather entertaining, and my son liked it. So it was a win for the evening. I just wish the evening was in the future, and cheaper.

Vermont Smoke & Cure Mini Meat Stick Go Pack, Beef, Antibiotic Free, Gluten Free, BBQ, .5oz Stick, 6 Count
Offered by Vermont Smoke & Cure
Price: $4.99
2 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great, but with one major shortcoming., July 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These beef sticks taste pretty good (a little on the sweet side) and are made with awesome natural ingredients, but they have to me one major shortcoming: they're short!! At the current price the beef in these sticks comes out to a few cents shy of $30.00 a pound.

These sticks are very similar in ingredients and nutrition to the Vermont Beef Smoke & Cure regular 1 oz sticks that come 24 to a box, same logo, same color packaging, at a far lower per pound price, and I'm sure I could figure out how to eat those on-the-go too.
Comment Comment | Permalink

GoGo squeeZ Yogurtz Yogurt, Banana, 12 Ounce
GoGo squeeZ Yogurtz Yogurt, Banana, 12 Ounce
Price: $9.81
5 used & new from $4.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Bananas taste like this yogurt, and don't require refrigeration either., July 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So I ripped open the top and over the next three seconds I squeezed three ounces of sort-of banana flavored goo into my mouth. It wasn't full bodied banana flavor, but more of a tangy banana flavor, kind of artificial. The problem with squeezing food into one's mouth from a pouch is that there's no smell involved in the experience of the food.

I am impressed by the natural ingredients listed on this product. The creators seemed to solve the problem of storing sealed yogurt at room temperature for long periods of time. But they sacrificed natural banana flavor for something that tastes a bit synthetic, and the gave us packaging that doesn't seem recyclable and stays around forever for all I know.

If I was sending kids to school with something nutritious and banana flavored, I'd likely send them with a real banana. They keep outside the fridge, taste more like bananas than banana flavored stuff, and the packaging is bio-degradable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2016 1:15 PM PDT

QuickBooks 2016: The Missing Manual: The Official Intuit Guide to QuickBooks 2016
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me crash course to prep for new job., July 1, 2016
Last week I got hired as a part time bookkeeper at a local small business that does it's accounting on QuickBooks. I have a degree in accounting, and I've used Quicken before, but never QuickBooks. So before my first day, I downloaded this manual and read all the sections appropriate to what I knew I'd be doing on this job. Even though I'd never used QuickBooks, my accounting background gave me context for the different functions, so I could understand what was going on as I read through the various descriptions of functionality.

So, on my first day I was "loaded for bear" and got productive right away.

My only critique is that given how large this book is, how expensive it is, and it's aim to be comprehensive, I with there were a few more screenshots during long step-by-step descriptions of procedures. It left a little too much to the imagination. Of course, if you've got QuickBooks installed and you're using this next to your computer, that shouldn't be a problem.

The bottom line (accountants love bottom lines) is that this is the book I needed when I needed it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20