Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports
Profile for AntiochAndy > Reviews

Browse

AntiochAndy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 330

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AntiochAndy "antiochandy" RSS Feed (Antioch, CA USA)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Ruthless People [VHS]
Ruthless People [VHS]
VHS
Offered by hardcuvrluvr
Price: $9.80
7 used & new from $6.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Ruthlessly Funny, February 9, 2004
This review is from: Ruthless People [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Sam Stone only married his wife, Barbara, for her money. Now he's anxious to get rid of her. Before he can do the deed, though, someone does him a huge favor by kidnapping her. What could be better? All he has to do is not pay the ransom and his problem is solved. Barbara's bungling kidnappers find themselves stuck with a worthless hostage.
RUTHLESS PEOPLE is a very funny movie. It's well plotted, well acted and keeps you laughing all the way. While not quite a classic, it was one of the top comedies of the mid-80's and resurrected Bette Midler's movie career. My only caution is that this is definitely NOT a movie for kids. Crude language is scattered throughout and there is some blatantly sexual material. While it might offend a few people, it's pretty mild by current standards. You could see almost as much in a Super Bowl halftime show.
I've liked RUTHLESS PEOPLE ever since I first saw it at the theater. It's a first-rate adult comedy. If you'd like some laughs, this is a good choice.

Some Like It Hot (Special Edition)
Some Like It Hot (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Marilyn Monroe
Offered by DVDux
Price: $19.95
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Comedy, February 2, 2004
SOME LIKE IT HOT has been called the greatest comedy movie of all time. That's a pretty big niche to fill and, let's face it, individual opinions will vary. I have several personal favorites. THE GREAT RACE, ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, HARVEY, TOOTSIE, IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD and A SHOT IN THE DARK come to mind, and I could name some others. Nor do I try to rank them in any particular order. I love them all, and this one sits right up there with them all on my shelf.
Individual favorites aside, this film is just very funny. Curtis and Lemmon are wonderful together as two down-on-their-luck musicians who find themselves at the wrong place at the wrong time and, disguised as women, join an all-girl band to get out of Chicago. Could these guys pull off such a stunt in real life? Probably not, but that doesn't make the situation any less humorous. Hysterical scenes and great lines abound. Monroe brings just the right amount of coquettishness and vulnerability to provide a center of gravity for all the madcap antics going on around her. At just over two hours in length, it's somewhat longer than your average comedy, but there's no reason for that to be a problem with a movie as entertaining as this one.
SOME LIKE IT HOT isn't my all-time favorite comedy, but it's a genuine classic and one I'm happy to have in my collection. In addition, this DVD has some nice extras, including a 30 minute interview with Curtis, the movie's only surviving star. The one drawback is that the movie was filmed in black-and-white, but for anyone who likes classic comedies, this is one DVD you want to have.

The Italian Job
The Italian Job
DVD ~ Donald Sutherland
Price: $5.19
284 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars What I'm NOT Going To Do, January 25, 2004
This review is from: The Italian Job (DVD)
I'm not going to tell you that THE ITALIAN JOB is the most amazing flick ever. In fact, I'm not even going to tell you that it's a good "caper comedy" like the professional review at the top of the page does. I don't even know where that comes from. Granted, the movie has some funny lines, but it's no comedy.
What I AM going to tell you is that this is a good movie if you want a fast-paced action flick. It has clever heists, some amusing dialogue, a couple of great chase sequences, some very pituresque locales (the first part of the film was shot in Europe), and the players all give very solid performances. As another reviewer noted, this is a great popcorn flick.
Was THE ITALIAN JOB the most memorable movie of 2003? No, but the buzz surrounding it was pretty positive. That got me to go see it when it was in the theaters and I wasn't disappointed. I liked it well enough to get it when it came out on DVD. I think most other people will like it, too.

A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Novel)
A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Novel)
by Deborah Crombie
Price: $7.99
135 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Mystery, January 21, 2004
A FINER END is apparently the seventh book in Crombie's Duncan Kincaid/Gemma Jones series, but my first. If I had it to do over again, I would have started with number one. It's not that you're lost if you jump in at the seventh, but you miss the character development that has gone before. It tends to be a significant part of the story. That aside, though, I liked this book. It was nicely plotted and not easy to see through, although I had Andrew's situation figured out from early on. The characters were interesting and well-drawn, and the historical aspect and setting of the story added to the somewhat eerie atmosphere and my interest level.
My only problem with A FINER END was the almost casual way in which direct communication from am 11th century priest plays into the story. Whenever seemingly supernatural elements are used by most mystery writers, they end up with a logical explanation, as is the case with the spectral hound in THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. A FINER END askes the reader to accept "automatic writing" almost as if it was perfectly normal. The characters struggle with the idea at first, but in the end it's an accepted part of the story and a source of evidence for the mystery. My credibility was stretched farther that I usually like.
Outside of the overdone mystical element, I found A FINER END to be a very enjoyable mystery. I'll be reading more of Crombie's books in the future. When I do, though, I will be going back and picking up the Kincaid/Jones series from the beginning. I think other mystery fans will like these books as well as I do. Take my word for it and give them a try.

Solaris
Solaris
DVD ~ George Clooney
Offered by cinemaplus
Price: $12.62
149 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Cryptic Psycho/Drama, January 20, 2004
This review is from: Solaris (DVD)
SOLARIS isn't like most sci-fi adventures. In fact, it isn't like most movies of any kind. It begins with psychologist Chris Kelvin being sent to the space station orbitting the planet Solaris in a last-ditch effort to re-establish contact. When he gets there he finds the remnants of the crew haunted by some strange phenomena. They are playing host to some uninvited "visitors". In due course, Kelvin gets a visitor of his own, in the form of his dead wife.
The hows, whys and wherefors of this situation could have made for a pretty interesting and intense tale. There are some intense and emotional moments as Kelvin tries to grapple with the situation and his own personal baggage, and the acting is generally good, too. As one character comments, however, "there are no answers, only questions". That's an accurate summation of SOLARIS. It raises lots of questions in the viewers mind, but never answers any of them. Instead, after providing almost no action and deadening viewer's senses with ponderous visual interludes accompanied only by station background noise, the story concludes without any real resolution and without any explanation of what was going on.
SOLARIS has its plusses, but it isn't a movie most people will enjoy watching. Fortunately, I got my copy essentially free. It came packaged with a movie that I definitely wanted and at the price of a single DVD. Don't spend your money on this unless you've seen it and are sure you want it.

Apex AD2600 Progressive-Scan DVD Player
Apex AD2600 Progressive-Scan DVD Player
2 used & new from $34.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky?, January 17, 2004
I got one of these to serve as a second DVD player in my house. It's a compact, attractive machine and was easy to set up. Basic usage is easy, but the remote has a lot of buttons that I haven't used. So far, we've only used this player a few times to watch movies and it has worked fine. The picture is clear, bright and sharp and the sound is good. Again, though, it has only been used sparingly. The catch is that, while it plays movies just fine, it has refused to read second discs with the movie "extras" on them on the two occaisions when I tried to do that. It's not a big deal for me. I simply watched the extra features on another player. Had this been my only DVD player, though, it would have been a real problem.
As it is, I'm keeping the machine. It works well enough (so far) for me to be satisfied with it, and it's possible that I'm missing something. But I would expect that, since my movie discs have all played with no problem, the extras discs would, too, without any additional tweaking. I'm giving this player cautious recommendation. There are a lot of things I like about it. Be advised, however, that you may encounter problems.

Maximum Ice (Bantam Spectra Book)
Maximum Ice (Bantam Spectra Book)
by Kay Kenyon
31 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars New Take On An Old Theme, January 15, 2004
The man versus machine storyline is certainly not a new one, but Kay Kenyon has put a unique spin on it in MAXIMUM ICE. The "machine" is a powerful computer that was originally developed to protect Earth. This system, called Ice, was based on a self-replicating chemical structure and, over a span of several thousand years, it has grown to the point where it threatens to totally engulf the planet, eliminating all life in the process. The "man" side of the equation is spearheaded by shipmother Zoya. She represents a band of star-faring expatriots whose ancestors left Earth before Ice and who now want to re-settle. In between are ice witches, some unholy nuns, ravenous rats, mutinous officers, and other assorted complications. The story is different enough to be interesting and the main characters, while not exactly "deep", are sufficiently developed to be appealing.
This is the first book by Kenyon that I've read. I liked it. There was plenty of action, and the concept and characters kept me entertained. I'll be reading more of Kenyon's books in the future, and I recommend this one to readers who enjoy light science fiction. It's not "hall of fame" material, but it's fun.

The All-Time Greatest Hits of Roy Orbison
The All-Time Greatest Hits of Roy Orbison
120 used & new from $0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection, January 4, 2004
As a kid, I went on vacation every summer with my aunt, uncle and cousins to a little town called Boulder Creek. Boulder Creek is a small resort town in the redwood forests a few miles inland from Santa Cruz on the California coast. Many hours were spent basking in the sun (or seeking shade) at the local swimming pool. The setting was idyllic, and one particular summer a popular tune on the juke box was "Only The Lonely".
I've never been a huge Roy Orbison fan (the orchestrated ballads that he often recorded aren't really my style), but he had some great hits, of which "Only The Lonely" has long been a personal favorite. It probably has something to do with those hot afternoons spent at the pool in those beautiful green mountains. This CD has "Only The Lonely", as well as Orbison's other big hits, along with some other good tunes that you may not have heard if you're not a fan. If you've got a favorite Orbison song, or if you're just interested in seminal pop/rock music, this is a CD you want to own. Roy Orbison was a great singer and a major pop/rock artist. This is a great collection of songs. You might find youself listening to it more than you expected. I recommend it highly.

The Globe Sessions
The Globe Sessions
Offered by J&S GAMES
Price: $4.99
220 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Perspective, January 3, 2004
This review is from: The Globe Sessions (Audio CD)
I don't know if it's a good idea to put any of Sheryl Crow's music in the "masterpiece" category yet. The Beatles, Stones, Who, Beach Boys and some others have achieved masterpiece status with some of their work, but to put any of Crow's recordings in that company is premature. Indeed, the professional reviewer above is quite critical. In his ear, this CD sounds "prissy" and insincere. Most of the customer reviews here seem, in contrast, to be quite positive. To each his own.
I just acquired a copy of THE GLOBE SESSIONS a few days ago. I had seen the tape of a concert performance of the song "The Difficult Kind" a couple of years ago and liked it very much, but I didn't know the name of the song or what CD it might be on. When I discovered it on this CD, I got it immediately. I already owned her most recent CD, C'MON C'MON, and thought it was excellent, so the decision to buy THE GLOBE SESSIONS was an easy one. So far, I've only listened to it as few times, but I have not been disappointed. It, too, is an excellent CD. While I like some songs better than others, there isn't really a bad one in the whole collection. It's one of those rare sets you can listen to from beginning to end without skipping anything. Beats and textures vary, the musicianship is fine, Crow's voice is clear and expressive, and her clear enunciation of her lyrics doesn't bother me at all.
While I believe it's a little early to put Sheryl Crow in the same league with some of the great rock performers that have preceeded her, I confess that I am becoming a fan. I think THE GLOBE SESSIONS is a terrific CD. I like it every bit as much as C'MON C'MON, and thats' pretty high praise (from me, at least). Others will certainly differ, but I thoroughly enjoy listening to it and I recommend it highly.

Trunk Music (Harry Bosch)
Trunk Music (Harry Bosch)
by Michael Connelly
128 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Harry Bosch Novel, December 29, 2003
TRUNK MUSIC finds Harry investigating an apparent mafia hit on a small-time movie producer. The victim has been found in the truck of his car with two bullets in his head. He was shot from behind at very close range. Of course, Connelly provides plenty of twists before you get to the end. Some will surprise you even if some don't. But between Harry's personal travails and the difficulties of unraveling the case, there is plenty to keep the pages turning. Besides a convoluted plot, Connelly also provides characters of depth and lots of rough edges.
This is Connelly's fifth Harry Bosch story and it's the fifth one I've read. I've thoroughly enjoyed each one and I recommend them to anyone who likes gritty police procedurals. It's not really my favorite genre, but these are exceptional. Harry has developed steadily throughout the series, however, and there are elements that crop up from previous books, so if you haven't read any Harry Bosch stories before, I advise going back and starting from the first. I highly recommend TRUNK MUSIC, along with each of its four predecessors.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30