Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Profile for darkhorse13 > Reviews

Browse

darkhorse13's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

darkhorse13 RSS Feed (st louis, mo)

Page: 1 | 2
TIMBER Trail Awareness Mountain Bike Bell, Black
TIMBER Trail Awareness Mountain Bike Bell, Black
Offered by TIMBER Mountain Bike Bells
Price: $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel bad that I didn't have this bell sooner, August 26, 2016
I feel bad that I didn't have this bell sooner. The tone is very pleasant and alerts everyone around me of my presence on the trail. This piece of safety equipment is almost as important as a helmet.

Cooler Shock  Shock-1/18F-Dry Cooler Gel Pack, 10 x 9-Inches 4-Pack
Cooler Shock Shock-1/18F-Dry Cooler Gel Pack, 10 x 9-Inches 4-Pack
Offered by Gentap
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ice pack for the price, August 26, 2016
After just purchasing my Grizzly 40 and RTIC 30 SoftPak coolers I immediately began researching alternatives to regular ice. Don't get me wrong, ice cubes work marvelously but I don't always want to deal with having my food slosh around in water when the ice melts... especially in the SoftPak with no dry tray. I looked at the usual suspects like Yeti Ice and Arctic Alaskan packs but I could just not convince myself to pull the trigger on a single $20-$40 ice pack.

I turned to Amazon to search for "best cooler ice pack" and that's when Cooler Shock popped up. After reading the 1,100+ 5-star reviews for Cooler Shock, I immediately pulled the trigger. After owning these packs for the last week now I am very pleased with their performance and quality. The packs ship with detailed instructions and were super easy to fill and seal myself. After 48 hrs they are ready for use and keep my new coolers perfectly cold without adding ice cubes. I can only imagine how much these Cooler Shock packs will compliment using ice cubes as well for those weekend excursions where I don't have to worry about food for days. Getting (4) Cooler Shock ice packs for $20 is a value that the competitors can't touch!

Final note, some people comment that the bag itself is slightly too thin for their taste and had problems with tears and punctures. I am typically not that hard on my equipment and take caution with loading the cooler so this didn't seem to worry me. BUT, for good measure, I used a food saver machine with an 11" roll and actually custom vacuum sealed my Cooler Shock ice packs. This was just the extra amount of security I needed for the piece of mind that my packs were protected. Plus my Cooler Shock packs won't freezer burn now...ha, just a joke about the freezer burn people :)

MIROO Replacement for HP 950XL 951XL Ink Cartridge use with HP Officejet Pro 8600 8610 8620 8630 8640 8660 8615 8625 251dw 271dw ( Pack of 5 )
Offered by smartjet
Price: $39.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 6, 2016
These worked perfectly in my Office Jet Pro 8600.

Park Tool Bearing Tool Set for BB30.3 Bottom Bracket Systems
Park Tool Bearing Tool Set for BB30.3 Bottom Bracket Systems
Offered by The Flying Kiwi
Price: $37.34
61 used & new from $33.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't get much better for the weekend mechanic, May 2, 2016
Just to clarify, this tool is only a BB30/PF30 bearing extractor, not a press. It does includes the cups to press the bearings back in though. I went to the local hardware store and spent $6 on materials to then make my own bearing press.

(1) 5/8in threaded rod - 12in was the shortest they had so I might cut it down
(2) 5/8in washers - not fender washers because they are too thin
(2) 5/8in nuts - non locking

With the provided Park cups you have a bearing press and a removal tool for 1/2 the price of buying both Park tools.

Doesn't get much better for the weekend mechanic.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 29 120 FIT CTD w/ Trail Adjust 1.5" Taper 15QR Fork 2015 (Black Diamond)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fox Forks never disappoint, October 22, 2014
I recently installed this fork on a 2014 Niner Jet 9 alloy and the 120mm fork is the best way to squeeze every last bit of performance out of this XC bike. I upgraded from a Fox 32 Float 29 100mm CTD Evolution fork. Like my 100mm fork, this 120mm is also a 51mm offset. While Niner builds their frames around 46mm offset forks, I personally like the feel of the 51mm offset. It provides a little quicker steering in the corners and I don't feel unstable at high speeds. Just my take...

In terms of Fox forks, you can't beat them. The small bump compliance is great, the rigidity is acceptable and the weight of the fork is low. I upgraded from the 100mm Evolution Series to take advantage of 2 things... 1) Kashima coating and 2) additional Trail Mode settings. The Kashima coating is super slick and looks great. The additional compression settings in Trail Mode are appreciated. I find myself using the CTD settings quite a bit on every ride. I lock the fork in Climb mode on fire road ascents and twisty flats to take advantage of every pedal stroke as well as flip the lever to Descent mode to use every inch of travel over ledges and steps. My default mode is always Trail mode but I sometimes find myself wanting a little less compression but not full Descent mode on a couple single track trails around my area. That’s where I can tweak Trail mode compression on the 2014 CTD model. It alleviates the soft feeling around fast, off-camber corners that full Descent mode presents. It doesn’t cause more micro adjustment headaches like you’d expect, rather it allows you perfect the fork to the trail you are riding that day. Knowing the trail for the day, I set the Trail mode black ring to the compression I prefer for Trail mode then forget about it. Keep it simple and enjoy the ride!

Park Tool DS-1 Digital Scale
Park Tool DS-1 Digital Scale
Offered by International Coffee & Books
Price: $62.96
44 used & new from $56.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate scale with one drawback..., December 27, 2012
Hi all,
I just got this digital scale for Christmas and I am happy thus far with it's performance. Unlike some other reviews I don't view this as a delicate scale, but I do agree that it should be handled with care. I try not to bang around the blue rubber hooks or pull on them with excessive force. I would be apprehensive to trust this scale though if I ever dropped it on a hard surface. Also, if you are one of those people that doesn't read instructions, just a heads up that Park recommends removing the batteries if the scale sits in excess of 10 days without use.

Here's the skinny...

PROS:
1) Accurate and repeatable performance. I weighed my bike 3 times in a row after turning the scale on and off each time. I got the same weight all 3 times.
2) Can change from lb to kg with the push of a button after the weight is captured.
3) Easy to read screen and easy to push buttons... simple and uncluttered.
4) Weight "locks" on the screen and won't go away until you TARE it or turn the scale off.
5) Scale remembers your last setting choice of either lb or kg when you turn the scale off then back on.

CONS:
1) The scale will not read additional weight once the initial weight has been locked in. BUMMER! The reason I gave it four stars! If you want to weigh your bike then add a water bottle for instance, you will not get the reading of the water bottle in the original number. The only way to get the additional weight is to let the bike register - push the TARE button - add the water bottle and get the weight - add it to your original number.
2) The scale captures the weight of the object a little too quickly. Be prepared to add the object to the blue hooks, stop the object from swaying, then move your hands away quickly.
3) Not good for sloping top tubes (as another reviewer noted the bike will slip off)... you have to measure from the seat rails
4) I am not sure if I trust the "bungee-ish" shoe lace hook on the top of the scale up to the 55lb max if you can't clamp the scale into your Park Tool mechanic stand.

Overall I recommend this scale to start your weight weenie log adventure. I haven't used any other bike dedicated digital scales.

Park Tool Benchtop Overhaul Mat Blue, One Size
Park Tool Benchtop Overhaul Mat Blue, One Size
Offered by Bicycle Addiction
Price: $25.16
31 used & new from $23.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Much smaller than expected..., December 27, 2012
Well shame on me for not paying attention to the dimensions of the mat before I bought it because it is way smaller than expected. Actually, shame on Amazon for not posting the dimensions in the item description = overall dimension is 13 1/4" (L) x 9 3/8" (W) x 7/16" (H). Think small, intricate jobs such as hubs, cassettes, bearings, derailleurs, shifters, brake calipers, pedals, etc. No where near big enough for forks or anything that size. For a true size perspective, my Avid 185mm disc rotor covers the entire diameter of the blue color "star" logo on the mat. (PLEASE SEE MY UPLOADED PICS FOR SIZE DETAILS)

I don't want to give people the wrong impression that this mat is of poor quality... it is not. The mat is constructed of thick, non slip rubber, and the small square organizers are helpful. Here's what to expect...

PROS:
1) Thick, non slip rubber should hold up to sharp objects and chemicals.
2) The textured surface will keep your parts in place
3) Small square organizers are great for screws, pins, springs, etc

CONS:
1) Price! This mat is a $12-$17 item in my personal opinion. I have gun cleaning mats from Glock that are bigger and cheaper.
2) Smaller working area than expected
3) The small square organizers are shallow in depth (6mm)

Overall, this is a nice mat to have in the arsenal of bike tools. I can see myself using it to organize small parts or repair/service hubs that are not laced to my wheels yet.

Given the option, I would rate this mat 3.5 stars.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pearl Izumi Men's Veer Short,Black Sol,Large
Pearl Izumi Men's Veer Short,Black Sol,Large
Offered by Top5Sports

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing short with lack of features, June 13, 2012
**This is the first Pearl Izumi clothing product that has disappointed me. Honestly, my loyalty to Pearl runs deep (please see my other reviews) but this is one product offering that falls very short for the high price tag.**

On paper, the P.I. Veer Short is a highly technical short that is form fitting, lightweight, stretchy, and breathable. In reality, they are not an everyday short due to the lack of durability of the material, shortage of pockets, and poor Velcro closure straps. These shortcomings overshadow the overall performance of this short.

Purpose: I bought this short for the sole purpose of mountain biking.

Pros:
1. Lightweight and breathable material. Cleans up nicely after a washing. Doesn't absorb mud, stains, or smells.
2. Form fitting and simplistic, good looks. Don't get hung up on the seat when up and out of the saddle on a downhill. I am 5'11" 160lb and wear a Medium
3. Quality, removable 3D liner. Allows you to hang around in just the pant shell after a ride to enjoy a few cold beers with friends

Cons:
1. Price. I know what is considered "expensive" to one person is different to another, but at $130 these shorts seem overpriced given the minimalist construction and lack of features explained below.
2. Velcro closure straps. BIG PROBLEM. There are 2 Velcro straps that can be tightened on each side around the hips. The straps themselves have fallen apart and the Velcro adhesion that keeps the strap in place is VERY WEAK. In the 3 months I have owned the shorts, the fabric glued to the outside of the strap has completely separated from the strap leaving the rubber backing exposed. Also, NOT in one single ride has the Velcro stayed latched in same place I had tightened it at the beginning of the ride. If you buy these shorts make sure they fit snug enough around the waist without relying on the Velcro to keeps things tight. Finally, the opposing Velcro attachment pad sewn into the short itself has started coming unstitched from the pant.
3. Lack of pockets. At first I wasn't bothered by having just 2 pockets. But after owning a pair of Bontrager MTB shorts I must say I am spoiled by having numerous pockets with better functionality. For instance the Bontrager's have both zippered and non-zippered pockets. You have the option of complete security or quick access to gels or powerbars. Also, the Bontragers have a convenient mesh pocket on the front on the leg for super quick assess to sunglasses or a place to put your gloves if you take a quick pit stop. I understand that the P.I. shorts are minimalist and possibly a better "race day" option but they lack some of the functionality of other similarly priced shorts.
4. Thin material. This is a double edged sword. On one hand the short is lightweight and breathable, but on the other hand they will tear easily upon crashing. If you find yourself taking a spill in the rocks you might want to consider something a little bit more tough.

Overall, the Veer short would make a great race day short or daily city commuter where they don't get abused by the potential dangers of off-road trails. If you wear these shorts as your primary MTB trail gear don't expect the outer shell to last for the long haul. The biggest PROBLEM with this short though is the Velcro strapping system. It simply doesn't hold and you'll find that your polyester technical t-shirt or jersey will actually get stuck to the Velcro straps and pull them right off the short. So unless you need a pair of suspenders, these straps are just a nuisance. I didn't expect these issues from a $130 P.I. Short. Maybe it's worth checking out something a little less expensive in the Pearl lineup that can do the same job as the Veer shorts.

Quick Release Mounting Kit
Quick Release Mounting Kit
Offered by Genius Web Tech
Price: $16.72
5 used & new from $13.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly for fast transitions!, April 23, 2012
I bought this quick release for my Garmin 310XT. This is the upgraded kit that uses the original 310XT wrist straps. They are secured to the quick release mounting plate by 2 beefy pins with screw heads to lock everything into place.

I was confused about the design of the kit until I actually held it in my hands for the first time. Here's how it works:
1) Remove the original orange/grey wrist straps and original pins from the head unit with the supplied pin release tool in the kit.
2) Install the plastic quick release adaptor (male side) to the back of the head unit with the original pins taken off the wrist straps. Set the head unit with installed adapter aside.
3) Install the original orange/grey wrist straps onto the (female) quick release mounting plate with the 2 supplied, beefy pins/screws from the kit. When you are done you will essentially have a complete looking watch strap with no head unit.
4) Grab the head unit and twist it onto the watch strap. It takes a firm twist.

In my honest opinion, the pins that hold the female mounting plate to the strap are super strong and should not snap due to the constant on/off twisting of the head unit. I still exercise care when I take the head unit on and off to ensure longevity. The bike mount adaptor in contrast is VERY easy to twist on/off but still secure. The whole system is a MUST HAVE for those using the 310XT for triahlons or as their primary bike and run computer.

The only "issue" is that the design of the quick release adaptor makes the 310XT head unit sit up even higher on your wrist... but it's a small price to pay for such versatility. Just run faster so people can't see how dorky you are :) Honestly, there's no other alternative.

Zoot Men's Mauna Kea Jacket
Zoot Men's Mauna Kea Jacket

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet looking pre & post race jacket!!! Cozy and fun!, February 22, 2012
The best way to describe this jacket is "cozy" and "cool". It is the perfect early morning jacket to set up your transition area and stay warm! Flip up the hood, tuck your chin into the high collar, crank up your ipod, and get into the zone! Be the most stylish, calm looking guy pre-race in this jacket!

I just want to clarify that this is not a highly technical, multiple pocket, ultra windproof/waterproof jacket. It is a simple jacket. I would say the fit and cut of the jacket is semi-athletic. Granted, it is not form fitting like a European cut jersey (think Pearl Izumi) but it is by no means a baggy jacket with extra arm pit material or slack around the belly. The arm length is spot on and doesn't ride up when you put your arms out in front of you. The length is also perfect and hits just below the belt line. (I am 5'11" @160lbs and wear a Medium) The interior is a very soft fleece throughout the body, arms and hood while the exterior is polyester with really sweet bright yellow stitching. The neck collar, wrist bands, and waist band are a chunky elastic material that is snug but not tight. But the best part about this jacket is the hood. The hood is nice and big and covers you down to your forehead. It also lays back very well when you are not using it... after all it is attached to the jacket and is not removable. One thing to point out about the jacket is that the neck collar is not tight. When zipped all the way up, there is ample room to stick your hand down it next to your neck for example. It is basically like a chunky, big collar on your favorite winter sweater yet it stands up on its own. The jacket also has 2 full size zippered front pockets that are the perfect size for your hands and are very secure when zipped up.

Overall, the jacket is a perfect addition to your fall tri clothes arsenal. Truth be told, my LBS had this jacket on winter clearance for $40 (50% off) so I couldn't pass it up. Would I have paid $80 for this jacket?... probably. It's just that I like all of my tri clothes to serve a functional role when I get close to that $100 mark. An old hooded sweat shirt from college would serve the same role as this jacket, and I probably wouldn't feel as bad throwing that on the ground rather than this Zoot, but you just can't get past the cool/cozy factor of this jacket that puts you in race mode!

Page: 1 | 2