Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Profile for Robert Moore > Reviews

Browse

Robert Moore's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3224
Top Reviewer Ranking: 327

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Moore RSS Feed (Little Rock, AR USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dell DS1000 USB-Type C Dock with Monitor Stand with VESA Quick Release (VT96R)
Dell DS1000 USB-Type C Dock with Monitor Stand with VESA Quick Release (VT96R)
Price: $223.01
7 used & new from $218.34

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice, if difficult to assemble, docking station, August 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was very excited to get this docking station, not least because it made - both on paper and in reality - swapping different laptops out of the station. Pop in the proper cord and I can hook up either of my laptops, neither of which is a Dell. I have a Toshiba Satellite and a Lenovo Yoga, and it takes only a few seconds to go from one to the other, and had my beloved German Shepherd not engaged in such the un-beloved act of panicking when he got his rear leg entangled in the power cord of my three-year old HP laptop, I would have been able to move three in this laptop game of musical chairs. I tossed in a HUB and I have rather stunning array of hard drives, printers (one more of a heavy duty printer, the other a super scanner), and other doodads. Really, I couldn't ask more of a Type-C docking station. So why only four stars?

Well, this sucker was hard to put together. The instructions were simple enough. The problem was that the main cord in the stand simply did not fit in the amount of space allotted to it. Now, perhaps the stand was not completely assembled for some reason that would have fit another user but that does not apply to my use, but I cannot see why the upright portion of the stand couldn't have been completed at the factor. Nothing was gained by having me put the final two or three pieces into place. The fit was so tight that I was afraid that I was going to break something. I did, in the end, get everything to fit and it is even possible that the cord on my unit had been twisted just a bit too much to make completion in my instance harder than installation for others. It is possible. But all I have is the stand that I was given, and I found the placing of the hard places pieces in the upright portion of the stand to be unnecessarily difficult. It took me a couple of hours to do what looked to be obvious because things didn't fit. I have spent some time wondering precisely why this was so difficult and I haven't an explanation.

Still, if you are willing to deal with the possibility that the major cord running up the stand might fit even more poorly in the unit you bought than in the one that I was finally able to fix, this should prove to be a great docking station. Odds are that it will fit your laptop. I hated the days when if you had a Lenovo laptop you had to buy a Lenovo docking station, else the two wouldn't fit. If we have gotten to the point where rival computer companies have hardware that works with one another, maybe we are close to the point where the two political parties can learn to compromise and pass legislation, like they did prior to 1994 (and Newt, just why did stalemate seem like such a great idea then, and Paul and Mitch, why do you think it any more attractive now?)

Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy
by Cathy O'Neil
Price: $16.66

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely essential book about how mathematical models and algorithms control our lives - riveting but depressing, August 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of the scariest books that I've ever read. Let me start by saying that politically I am an egalitarian. Let me also point out that we live in an age where theoretically there needn't be scarcity in anyone's life. This hasn't always been the case. Even a hundred years ago it was inevitable that there were going to be winners and losers in society. Poverty for some was inevitable. Today, however, we live in an age where there needn't be any scarcity, but we have not sought to assure merely equality of opportunity, but also some degree of fair outcome. I do not think that everyone need have precisely the same degree of wealth as everyone else, but I do believe that everyone is deserving of something like those things that FDR identified in his Second Bill or Rights. I have no trouble with there being millionaires or even billionaires, but I do have trouble with a society that allows millions of its citizens to live below the poverty line.

Cathy O'Neil details a hidden world within our own that is deeply opposed to egalitarianism and instead promotes a world of rent seeking, driven by hidden algorithms and mathematical models. When we think of Big Brother watching us, we think of cameras and hidden mics and spies. But the reality is Little Cousin creating profiles based our online presence or algorithms dictating major alterations to our insurance policies.

This is just a terrifying bool. It left me feeling a bit impotent and lacking. Her book leaves you feeling like you have lost control of your life. It is hard to know what measures you can take to protect your privacy. But there is no possibility of finding the solution to a problem or a danger to egalitarianism unless it is made public and Cathy O'Neil has done a magnificent job of doing this. This is a must-read book, but it is a really, really depressing read. It is a book that makes you wonder about whether the society that we are crafting is the one we really want.

Nature's Recipe Stew Recipe with Real Seafood & Garden Vegetables in Gravy Wet Cat Food, 2.75 oz
Price: $23.76

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality cat food that will help your cat be as healthy as possible, August 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have fed my dog Nature's Recipe several times in the past and have had nothing but positive experiences with their food. The thing that strikes me most about them is that their dog - and cat - food always contains food, instead of ground up bits of the most repulsive parts of an animals, even parts with ulcers or infections (it is simply inefficient to cull out the diseased bits or offal or feet or beaks).

I have to expand my personal philosophy of dog and cat food. Dogs and cats have a very different attitude towards food and their relationship to their owners. With dogs it is so deep that your relationship with your dog is more or less a food relationship. Your dog thinks of you, above all, as "the one who gives me food." Personally, as my part in the compact that my dog and I have with one another, I try very hard to provide him with high quality food. My biggest beef (no pun intended) is with foods that contain things like "chicken meal", which really is just ground up garbage. And I won't feed my dog food with wheat because it isn't good for dogs. Cats are different. My older cat Shirley, who is now seventeen years old, actually prefers the cheapest, lousiest dry food that you can find. She has bad, bad taste in food. Dogs instinctively know which food has the best food value. You can test this. Put down a slice of FreshPet food and Purina Dog Chow see which one he will go to in the flash of an eye. Cats aren't like that. You can't give them food based on what they like, but on what you know is best of them. My Shirley will be delighted with the worst possible food that I could give her. So the way I see it, it is essential that I give her not the food that she wants, but the food that she needs. My relationship with her isn't strengthened by giving her better food, but it is something that I do because I know she will be healthier and might have a better chance of making it to age eighteen or nineteen [on a completely personal note, of all the cats I have ever had to privilege of having live with me, Shirley is by far the most "fragile"cat that I've had live with me in a lifetime of living with cats. I had a Russian Blue live to age nineteen, so fragile little Shirley may become my oldest ever cat.] Two things to keep in mind with a cat is that it is essential to make sure that it has a low ash content, especially with male cats, and that it have very high nutritional content. Cats have tremendous problems digesting food. Much of the nutritional value of the food is expended in their feces, which is why dogs love to rummage in litter boxes.

So give your cats the kind of quality food that they need and deserve. They may not be as grateful as your dog might be, but you'll have the satisfaction of helping your cats be as healthy has possible.

Classic Accessories 55-652-016701-RT Montlake FadeSafe Standard Patio Chair Cover
Price: $42.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and rugged cover that will nicely protect most smaller chairs, August 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are looking for an excellent outdoor chair cover, this should do the trick. The cover is very heavy duty, with a thick coating on one side and a tightly woven fabric on the other. The dimensions are such that it will cover most outdoor chairs. I have an Adirondack chair that this is not really designed to cover, but it is large enough to do that anyway. This is a nicely full, capacious cover that will nicely protect just about all your smaller outdoor chairs.

Targus 15.6" Mobile ViP Checkpoint-Friendly Backpack with Safeport Sling Drop Protection (TSB862)
Price: $89.99
5 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely splendid backpack, August 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The stereotype is that women collect purses and shoes. I am not aware of any stereotypes about men collecting back packs or messenger bags, but if there is one, it is true of me. I would like to say that I have (or have had) ONLY a dozen such bags, but that wouldn't be true. I have either given away to relatives or friends at least 3 or 4 and have donated at least that many to Goodwill. For a bag to become one of my permanent bags means that it is a very, very good bag. This Targus bag is an outstanding bag in several ways and has many features that helps make it one that would make it appealing to people who need either for daily commuting or for overnight business travel.

Backpacks that can double as overnight bags have become very popular of late. Nothing could be more convenient than a backpack that can carry writing supplies, a laptop and tablet, cords and adapters, a pair of casual (or dress or business casual) shoes, and change of clothing. Anyone who has had to wait for a bag to be delivered to the luggage area knows how frustrating it can be to wait for it to be delivered so that they can leave the airport. This pack is small enough to be put easily in the luggage compartment of an airplane cabin and easier to carry than even the smallest suitcase, even if it has wheels.

The weakness of many backpacks that try to double as overnight bags is that they don't have enough convenient storage spaces. This one has three pockets on the back. The top is plush and appropriate for storing glasses or sunglasses. There is a fourth space at the top of the pack that can hold a couple of books and has a lot of slots for holding pens, pencils, or styluses. There is a zippered pocket on one side and a space on the other side that can hold either a beverage or Coke or mini umbrella. The bottom pocket is large enough to contain a small pair of shoes, though I am not able to put a pair of adult male shoes. This is one of the few weaknesses of the bag. If they had made this bottom pocket only a couple of inches larger it would have taken a pair of shoes, though it would have been a tight fit. Otherwise the arrangement of pockets on the back of the pack is as fine as I have ever seen. The final two, large spaces behind these, unfortunately not quite as good as the arrangement on the back of the pack. The space all the way at the pack is great for computers. There is a really great feature. A lot of backpacks have a similar space, but don't pad it enough at the bottom, so that a computer can really get banged if you drop the pack. This bag, however, holds a computer in a way that there are several inches between the bottom of it and anything that it can hit. The middle space, however, is just a huge unadorned space. They could easily have added some cloth to divide the areas. As it is, you can put a pair of jeans, a change of underwear, socks, and a shirt, but it would be tight. If you aren't using this to carry clothing, about all you can do it put notebooks and notepads. I wish they had put a slot to secure a table. Well, a small correction. There is a space in the top space on the back that can hold a larger tablet, but my Lenovo Yoga - a 13 inch 2-in-1 that I can give my strongest recommendation - can only fit in the large space furthest back. I would not recommend putting any sensitive gadget in the middle space. The zippers can slip all the way down and a computer or large table could slip down and get damaged. But perhaps other users would not be so unhappy with the middle space or perhaps I am being over picky. But don't let my comments about that space cloud my assessment of this bag. It is a good one. It is one that I am going to use. I have a lot of gadgets / notebooks / planners / calendars / pens and pencils, and a huge number of books. I usually carry two bags, one a backpack and the other a messenger bag. This gets bumped into the backpack space. Just a very, very nice bag.

Black Science Premiere Hardcover
Black Science Premiere Hardcover
by Rick Remender
Price: $31.24
59 used & new from $16.24

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent but not great comic by one of today's biggest names in comics, August 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been a huge fan of the work that Rick Remender has done on Marvel, especially on X-Force (am I the only one who wonders what he could do with Daredevil?) and exclusively on the basis of that I was interested in Black Science, despite the rather trite reference in the title to Black Magic. This collects issues 1-16 of the series and leaves things at a point where I very much wanted to know what happened next, though not at a point where I felt that I was married to the series, like I am to, say, Brian K. Vaughan's SAGA. I want to know what happens next, but I won't feel like it is the greatest loss if I don't. I started to give the book 4 stars based on the story, but on reflection I decided to give it 3 stars because of the artwork.

This "good but not great" feeling goes through the comic. The characters are good, but not great. The story is good but not great. The artwork . . . well, the artwork is OK but not all that good. The artwork sometimes edges over into caricature, such as the ostensible bad guy with an absurdly malevolent grin. I find it really difficult to enjoy or even minimally like Matteo Scalera's artwork. The overall impression is that it is "messy." There are some comic books that are so gorgeously illustrated that it becomes almost invisible. That is paradoxical, I know, it is true. At the same time, if you pull back and just start examining the artwork, you become aware of how brilliant it is. This is not like that. I know that it isn't impossible that someone might light the artwork in this book, but I am not among them.

All things considered, I plan on continuing to read this, but not with an overwhelming sense of enthusiasm. I still consider Rick Remender to be one of the great comic book writers at work today, but this might be his least impressive work yet.

Maisto 2017 Ford GT Variable Color Radio Control Vehicle (1:14 Scale)
Maisto 2017 Ford GT Variable Color Radio Control Vehicle (1:14 Scale)
Offered by ksaleco
Price: $42.99
2 used & new from $40.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A really gorgeous yet rugged remote control car, August 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to confess that there is a bit of a learning curve for me in controlling this car, but I can already tell that control will come with time. The plastic body of the car is just gorgeous. If you take good care of this and don't damage it, you can easily display this on a shelf as a decorative object. I live on a large circle - not a cul-de-sac - and it is a great place to put the car through it's paces. It has also become a bit of a toy my dog gets a huge kick out of. He isn't quite sure what makes it move around, but it is an object of endless fascination to him. The car is extremely fast and on a flat asphalt surface can really open up.

One thing you must be careful about is the battery life. The controller takes two Triple A batteries while the car itself takes a stunning half dozen AA batteries. So I would strongly recommend going the rechargeable battery route. Otherwise this is just going to eat up a huge number of batteries.

The only thing I can't quite address is durability. Remote control cars can typically absorb a huge amount of damage and this one certainly looks like it could. While the body is very attractive it is also quite simple, so you won't see parts falling off after routine collisions.

So all in all this is a great looking remote control car. Get your self a battery recharger and have yourself some fun.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2016 8:42 AM PDT

StarTech.com USB3SAA3MBK 3m, 10' A to A, M/M, Long USB 3.0 Cable - USB 3.1, 5 Gbps, Black
Price: $12.88
31 used & new from $7.82

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely well-made, solidly constructed, August 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I needed to link a couple of items together - actually I needed a cord like this for two different arrays, but wasn't quite sure that a mere cord would be enough for my computer to recognize - and this turned out to be absolutely perfect. I have never been able to detect much different between one cord and another, but there are some things to for in any cord. One is to check to see how well attached the plug is to cord. The other place where you have to check is the plug itself. I have had more cords go bad due to the plug becoming loose than to all other reasons combined. One can never know for certain just how well connected a plug is to a cord, but this one looks to be very firmly attached. There really is not a lot you can say about a cord unless it goes bad, but that said, this appears to be a well-constructed, very solidly made cord. I can recommend it without hesitation.

Farberware 30-Piece Slice and Spice Knife and Spice Set
Farberware 30-Piece Slice and Spice Knife and Spice Set
Price: $49.99
11 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect item for someone with a small kitchen who needs to maximize space, August 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I do not have a very large kitchen (I believe what I have is sometimes called "a kitchen area") so I treasure any item that saves me space. This uses a minimal amount of space while also making both knives and spices readily available. It comes with a full range of spices, though to be honest you will almost certainly want to tweak it; I don't use several of the ones included while a few of my favorites aren't included, which is why I say that you'll want to tweak the selection. If I had a complaint it is with the generous selection of steak knives. As a vegetarian steak knives play a very small role in my life, so I've removed these and replaced them with paring knives. The large number of steak knives means that there aren't enough slots for larger knives. But I don't want to assume that what is best for me is best for everyone, so perhaps most people would prefer six steak knives while keeping their larger knives in a drawer.

What makes the design particularly convenient is the way it is able to swivel around, making all of the spices easily accessible. So this will use minimal space and yet still make it easy to access both sides. All in all this is a perfect item for someone with "a kitchen like space."

Seville Classics Foldable Storage Cube/Ottoman, Charcoal Grey
Seville Classics Foldable Storage Cube/Ottoman, Charcoal Grey
Price: $19.99
19 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible bargain - a high quality item that both provides a place for storage and a great place to sit, August 8, 2016
I was so delighted with this when I got it that I immediately ordered the same item in its wider form, called a "Bench." My plan with the latter is to put it at the foot of my bed as place to put my blankets and as a place to sit while tying my shoes. So why have I flipped out about this line? First off, I love a good bargain and that is what this is. I managed to pick up the regular cube as a daily, but it is a great buy even at its normal cost. I even think the Bench version is a great bargain at $37. Second, I love these because they are exceptionally functional. I keep the simple cube in my living room and if my place is too messy, I'll just fill it up with junk that I've left laying around until it is full and no one will know how messy the place had been a few minutes earlier, but even in its filled form it makes a great seat. My cats love it as well.

When this arrived I couldn't believe how think the box was. It was roughly the dimension of its lid and my immediate reaction was that there had to be something missing. Nothing was. And out of this smallish little box comes a surprisingly large box.

So if you need some extra storage space that can double as a seat, this is for you. I don't know that I will need more than the two I am getting, since most of my floor space is take up. But the two I do have are invaluable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20