Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for WildBill > Reviews

Browse

WildBill's Profile

Customer Reviews: 179

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

WildBill RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Everybody's Fine
Everybody's Fine
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Everybody's Bored, July 4, 2016
This review is from: Everybody's Fine (Amazon Video)
This has about 15 minutes worth of scrip packed into a 2 hour movie that move at the pace of molasses on a cold winter day. Probably not destined for a Father's Day classic, this movie follows a father reaching out to his adult children after his wife's death and centers the relationship between dad and the kids.

However, unlike most dad movies where there is a different relationship for each kid, in this one they are all the same and so formula, living for dad's respect and an emotionally detached dad, only with the twist of being boring.

If you liked The Intern you will probably like this as well as anyone in a coma, the pace is just right for the comatose.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Whacky, Subtitles, July 4, 2016
Whacky sort of fun, I hit this in the right mood, looking for something a little different and it certainly filled the bill. It's a little slow for my likes but the hope that something meaningful will happen keeps you watching. I gave 4 starts ,mostly because I finished it in one sitting and for its weirdness, just off beat if you like that sort of thing or in my case in the right mood.

The Golden Child
The Golden Child
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Eddie Murphy, July 4, 2016
This review is from: The Golden Child (Amazon Video)
Classic Eddy Murphy comedy, raunchy language, good action, not too gory, little bite to it but overall funny in the same ilk as Beverly Hills Cop. I found this a very enjoyable flick, probably not the best for kids due to the language but if your kids are already past the language stage everything else is reasonably mild.

Buffalo MediaStation 16x Desktop BDXL Blu-Ray Writer (BRXL-16U3)
Buffalo MediaStation 16x Desktop BDXL Blu-Ray Writer (BRXL-16U3)
Price: $129.99
68 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW -- If you have a need for speed look no futher!, April 22, 2016
I was a little skeptical about seeing much improvement, I have a brand new HP PC that is fast as greased lightening and so I pretty much expected everything in it to be fast but that was clearly not the case for the Blu-Ray R/W unit that is internal SATA bus attached and should be far faster than anything USB 3 attached but not so.

Pro's:
- Very Fast, hitting reads at 12x on DVD and 6.7x on BR, and everything else is even faster
- True plug n' Play for Win7 (I have not tried Win10 or Mac)
- Lay-Flat form factor
- Motorized Tray, no fumbling with a pressure hub on a flimsy tray
- Heavy with good rubber pads, does not slide around even on a slick surface
- For Win7 all needed drivers are already part of the OS, no need to load their bloatware

Con's:
- Crippled software that is 6 major revisions behind and lots of nag screens to upgrade (Cyberlink's fault)
- Count on buying the upgrade if you do not already own a BR authoring package (Cyberlink is a very good package, Roxio also if you prefer)

The con's were not an issue for me, I already have the latest CyberLink PowerDirector & PowerDVD, Roxio Creator and other packages to deal with the discs.

Here is a BR and DVD comparison to the build in BR unit in my PC (All tests were done on USB 3, USB 2 will be a lot slower)
- Rip a 30GB HD home movie from Blu-Ray -- 16 Minutes on Buffalo / 34 Minutes on HP Player -- (30.2 M/s @6.7x Read)
- Rip a 4GB HD home movie from DVD -- 4.5 Minutes on Buffalo / 22 Minutes on HP Player -- (16.1 M/s @ 12.2x)

I have not found any tools this drive does not work well with including, MakeMKV, CyberLink PowerDirector, Replay Convert, VideoReDo+, VLC and of course WMC and WMP.

It would be hard to be happier with the performance, the looks, size, and weight, for a desktop situation, this would not make a good portable drive it is took big and heavy compared to ones designed for portable use. Also keep in mind that for normal playback speed is not a consideration since everything plays at 1x.

Reference Information: Tested on:
HP Envy 850-065se, Intel i7 6 core CPU, 24GB RAM
NVidia GTX 960 w/4GB RAM
Samsung 1TB SSD boot drive
Seagate 4TB SSHD (8GB SSD + 4TB HD)
Win7 - Ultimate

Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station with Offline Clone Function for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch HDD SSD SATA (SATA I/ II/ III) Support 2x 8TB & UASP, Tool-free
Offered by Inateck Online
Price: $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performance, March 30, 2016
I got this to go with my new PC and to assist in migrating things off my old system over to the new one, but I also wanted to clone the disk from my new system before I ever turned it on so I could have a true day 0 starting point if I needed one in future, I also wanted to migrate to a SSD drive, the new PC came with a regular hard drive and no option in the purchase configuration options for SSD.

First operation was cloning from a 6Gb/S SATA 1TB hard drive to another one, this worked flawlessly and took under and hour. Next I cloned from the same 1TB HD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 1TB drive and put that drive in the new PC that had never been turned on by me and it worked perfectly, even without Samsung Magician (their drivers and supporting software) loaded yet. This was by far the mist painless migration from a HD to SSD I have ever done. So in recap:

Cloning 1TB SATA HD to another 1TB SATA HD -- 5 - perfect
Cloning 1TB SATA HD to 1 TB SATA SSD -- 5 - perfect

Using it for moving things from the old system to the new system has also been outstanding, this is just moving files, I have a lot of large files since I use the PC for recording and editing movies, I have found the dock works with 3 and 6 Gb/s SATA drives that was 1, 2, and 4TB (4TB is the biggest drives I have) and I get a great sustained transfer rate even on enormous files, 200 - 240 Mb/s from the Dock to the internal SSD on USB 3. Small files are virtually instant.

The dock is reasonably well made, so it feels solid, connections are tight and alignment perfect with the connectors.

I did have one oddity, once installed and with no drives in the dock my back-up and disk utility software (Paragon Hard Disk Manager) see this as a 100MB drive that it can not write to so it appears this has 100MB flash style RAM built in that emulates a disk, like a thumb drive but not writable from external to the box, however it is readable and it looks like it is a buffer for off-line cloning. This is not an issue just an oddity, took me a few minutes to figure out where this extra raw drive came from.

I will never again use any brand or type of migration software to move a HD to a SSD, this is so clean and fast, it is amazing.

I would easily recommend this to a friend and anyone else for that matter.

My System:
HP Envy 850 6-core I7 w/24GB RAA
USB 3
SATA 6Gb/S disk bus

**Note: I had an early failure and updated my review to reflect it, to my surprise, without me contacting Inateck or Amazon, Inateck emailed me asking for a full description of the issue which I provided, then without question they replaced the unit, no return shipping costs. They were polite and genuinely wanted to resolve things and did. Early failure is something every electronic product is subject to, they key is how the seller and/or make handles it, this was first rate customer service by any measure.

I will definitely buy from them again and recommend them to friends.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2016 11:11 PM PDT

Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe - 6-channel Internal Cable TV Tuner for CableCARD
Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe - 6-channel Internal Cable TV Tuner for CableCARD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV Tuner Card, March 28, 2016
I just added this to a new HP Envy tower PC and it went in without a hitch but that is because I have used the Ceton 4 channel card for years and paid the price in time and effort long ago so I will point some of these out here where they are material to this product.

Highlights:
- Record up to 6 Cable Channels at once including premium channels you subscribe to like HBO, MAX etv
- Performance - Outstanding, channels changes in non-premium channels are nearly instant
- Picture Quality - Outstand in SD and HD, as good as any Cable Box I have used
- Sound Quality - Outstanding in SD/HD, Mono, Stereo, and 5.1 Surround
- Fully integrated with Windows Media Center (and oddly enough WMC is the best software by far)

Lowlights:
- This is not really for a novice if things go wrong
- Ceton support is marginal at best, this is not so much their fault, there are a lot of things that can go wrong
- When things go wrong they go very wrong, I strongly suggest you fully back-up your OS, not because there is any risk to your system files but because is things get really messed up it is easier if you can restore your system to before you started and start over
- Ceton Support will often not go further on a case until you reload your OS as they are painfully aware of what it takes to unwind issues
- Dealing with the cable company. Hint: If the person seems to have little or no clue what you are talking about, politely get out of the call and call back and you will get another person.
- Protected recordings are only viewable on the PC it was recorded on, this is basically everything from Premium Channels, like HBO

TIP -- Firewalls are the biggest issue installing and Ceton has very very old information on how to open the firewall in the popular AV programs, like Norton and McAfee and with the rest you are on your own. If you only use Windows Firewall no problem, it knows to allow it already.

- I would strongly suggest that you turn off your PC firewall during the installation (just don't go surfing a lot while it is off)
-- Keep your AV enabled, just turn off the firewall, they are separate.
- Once everything is working perfectly, turn the firewall back on, read the Ceton instructions, if any, for your firewall and see if you can noodle it out, if not you'll need to call support.
- With Norton you need to build a firewall rule, they will do it for you if you call.
- With McAfee you need to enable the Ceton software through their config screen , I was able to figure it out but you may need to call support
- With all others and Linux Ceton tells you the Ports and Protocols and you have to build your own rules.
- If all else fails, find a nice techie buy him or her dinner and get them to do it for you :)

- The way to tell it is your firewall is to turn it off and all works, turn it on and you can tune channels but there will be no picture or sound, just the channel number and show title.

TIP: I can't say this enough times, make sure to do everything in the exact order in the instructions.
TIP: Cancel out of WMC TV Set-up if everything is not exactly right, don't plow through and hope for the best, you may need to reload your OS to get it to work if you do go on without it all working at each step.
TIP: The Digital Cable Advisor must pass for this to work..
TIP: To watch Premium and Copy Protected content your Video Board must be HDCP Compliant, you can check this in your video settings, it tells you if it is compliant (most are)

Added TIP: Consider buying VideoReDo TV Suite (google it). This program allows you to edit commercial TV shows and remove the commercials, it will scan the show and mark all of the commercials, you them agree and save and watch commercial free.

My Equipment & Environment:
HP Envy 6-core I7 Intel CPU, 24GB Ram, 1TB SSD, 4TB HD (for recordings)
NVidia GTX 960 w/2MB RAM
2 HP 24" Monitors, one connected HDMI and one DisplayPort
Ceton 6-Tuner Card
MCard from Comcast
Cable Provider: Comcast
HP IR Receiver / Remote Control / IR Sender (may need to pass the Digital Cable Advisor)
Win7 Ultimate
Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers
Bang & Olufsen Audio
Windows Media Center

Note 1: WMC Support ends Jan 14, 2020, just under 4 years from now, at that point our Centon cards become space heaters, no TV Guide, no Play Ready DRM. You will still be able to manually tune unencrypted channels depending on your cable company. Currently there is no 3rd party software that works with the CableCards

Note 2. Don't get too hooked on the protected movies you record, they will not play if you change your video board, change PC's, or change your Ceton card, the copy protection will prevent them from playing unless you know how to copy the PlayReady DRM file, which is still not 100%. This is much more a DVR meant for short time storage for viewing than a long term movie collection, however, non-protected shows will work everywhere.

Note 3. This does not work in Win10 as there is no Windows Media Center in Windows 10.

Note: The attach Picture is of the Ceton Diag CableCARD Tab with all is working right:
Comment Comment | Permalink

Thrustmaster T-16000M Flight Stick
Thrustmaster T-16000M Flight Stick
Price: $43.99
125 used & new from $38.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding "Leftie" Joystick and Quality., March 27, 2016
Us Lefties are often not thought of in hand-oriented products so it is great so see a product that is well made for left hands. It comes set up for righties but with a left-handed thumb-rest in the box. You remove two small screws and replace the thumb rest with the left one on the stick, it even comes with a fitted left hand cover for the screw holes, very clean this gives the stick a really great feel in your left hand, and gives great control with a firm pad for your thumb. Next you remove the screw for the hand rest and rotate it to the left side and put the screw back in, finally you flip a switch on the bottom that switches which side the buttons are on in the right order.

Took longer to type that than to actually do it I think, be seriously it was very easy to do and none of it second hand thought, once converted it looks made for lefties and better yet, feels like it, your hand has great leverage.

I should note that I am not a heavy gamer, I play a very old single player fighter game once in a while and use a joystick for that. This stick tension is perfect for the game and me, you get enough so it feels good and you are comfortable being aggressive with it and light enough to make fine corrections and moves. It feels well constructed, very solid with a good heft to it and rubber pads so it does not slide.

I took one star off for the annoying bank of lights around the stick where it hooks to the base, these lights shine bright green anytime the stick is not centered for over 3 seconds, so at least it does not flash, but it is bright in a lit room and really bright in a dark room. I will likely end up taking a pair of wire cutter to them but giving it a bit to see if I get used to it.

SABRENT 3.5-Inch to SSD / 2.5-Inch HDD Bay Drive Converter (BK-HDDF)
SABRENT 3.5-Inch to SSD / 2.5-Inch HDD Bay Drive Converter (BK-HDDF)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $6.99
32 used & new from $3.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product -- Perfect Fit, March 27, 2016
Seems hard these days to find a product that just does everything right, even in something as simple as this. I was really impressed with everything, it came with both size screws, it has 3 screw spots on each side and is roughly the size of a 2.5" disk itself. The drive is "suspended" in the cage near the top open side putting the SSD connector about where they be it is was a hard drive. This design also ensure good air flow for cooling.

I was also surprised at the gauge of steel they used, this is really solid and as rigid as an actual hard drive.

I used this in an HP Envy 850se Tower PC with a 6Gb SATA connection to a Samsung 1TB SSD one a 6GB SATA bus. The whole job was about 20 minutes and takes only a medium-small Phillips screwdriver, at least that is all for my PC.

Lunar Lander Pro
Lunar Lander Pro
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun for 2 - 3 Seconds, March 18, 2016
This review is from: Lunar Lander Pro (App)
This is not a lot of fun, it worked so I gave it 2 stars. The game is way too short, there is zero variety, you get one landing scene only and only seconds to make each landing. This ended up just being a test to see if I could remember how to delete apps, I remembered just fine and sent this to the bit bucket.

I don't know why there is still no good lunar lander games out there, the best I ever saw was in an arcade over 30 years and to date no one has even come close.

TV Setup and Connection Service, up to 5 Devices
TV Setup and Connection Service, up to 5 Devices
Offered by Maker Tech & Media Services
Price: $35.00
1359 used & new from $30.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Service and Value, March 14, 2016
Wow, these guys really did a fantastic job! I got my 80 year old mom a new TV, Blu-Ray, VCR (yes she still watches tapes) but she is on the opposite coast as I am so I could not help her set it up and bought this service from Amazon and I still can't believe how cheap it was and how great they did.

Amazon shipped 3 broken TV's before getting one there intact, these guys never complained, and came out 3 times and did not charge for the extra trips. OK, now we know they are good guys but what did they do:

- Unboxed and assembled the TV and unboxed the following: Blu-Ray, VCR, Remote Headphones, Keyboard for Smart TV
- Removed all boxes and trash.
- Hooked all of the above devices to the TV.
- Programmed all of the remotes as well as programming the TV remote for the Blu-Ray and VCR.
- Configured the TV for her cable .
- Got the WiFi SmartTV configured.
- Signed her up for Netflix on the Smart TV, verified it was working.
- Walked her through everything and took the time for her to make notes.

This was one of the best things I ever bought from Amazon, they really did a great job at a great price ($69).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18